Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Steven Gerrard rates Liverpool 'underdogs' to claim fourth place

Read 1806 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Apr 06, 2010 10:29:04 am

The Guardian

• 'We're hoping our experience will be decisive'
      • Yossi Benayoun admits team has motivation problems

Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard look dejected after an equaliser by Liam Ridgewell in Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Birmingham City. Photograph: Stephen Pond/Empics

Frustration was etched on Steven Gerrard's face when Fernando Torres was withdrawn at Birmingham City and his outlook has not changed after a result that left Liverpool "underdogs" in the race for the fourth Champions League qualification place. The Liverpool captain believes only a 100% record can preserve the club's place among the European elite but accepts the time for making promises at Anfield is over.

Rafael Benítez's team are four points adrift of Manchester City in fourth place following the draw at St Andrew's on Sunday, a contest Gerrard admits Liverpool had to win to increase their chances of salvaging their domestic campaign. The manager's decision to substitute the ineffective Torres raised eyebrows at Birmingham, Gerrard's included, but would have been vindicated had his replacement, David Ngog, taken one of several chances to seal victory late on. His failure to do so has prompted a sombre analysis from the England vice-captain and an admission that Liverpool are more reliant than ever on City and Tottenham Hotspur faltering on the run-in.

"To give ourselves a better chance we had to take maximum points here and it's going to be really difficult now," Gerrard said. "But the race for fourth place seems to change from week to week. You have to look at the teams above us, they're the favourites and we're the underdogs at the moment. But we'll keep fighting all the way to the end."

Gerrard believes Liverpool must win their five remaining league games. Their best league sequence this season is four consecutive victories at the start of the campaign – against Bolton, Burnley, West Ham United and Hull City, and they still have to play the last three.

The midfielder is wary of making further predictions. "It's OK saying we'll be all right if we win our last five games; we have to go out on to the pitch and win them rather than talk about it. It will be difficult but we have the experience and we're hoping that will be vital in the end but I think it'll go down to the wire. It's easy for me to stand here and say we have to win all our games, we have to go out and do it."

Despite the importance of Champions League qualification to a club searching for new investment, with a decision on the Rhône Group's £110m offer for a 40% stake in Liverpool initially scheduled for this week, Yossi Benayoun has said motivation could be a problem in a season that opened with expectations so high.

The Israel captain said: "It is very difficult when you are not close to the top and you do not feel as if you have the chance to win something. It is disappointing but we will keep going. We are fighting for fourth place. I know it is important but it just isn't the same. We have made it harder but all we can do is play the last five games and see what happens."

Torres, meanwhile, has told French TV that he hopes Arsenal beat Chelsea and Manchester United to the title. The Liverpool striker said: "I want Arsenal to be the champions. They have the best fixtures of the three. [Arsène] Wenger deserves to walk away with the title. He should be imitated for the work he has achieved over all these seasons."
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Re: Steven Gerrard rates Liverpool 'underdogs' to claim fourth place
      Reply #1: Apr 06, 2010 10:35:26 am
      Be an absolute miracle if we finish 4th when you look at todays league table. Potentially 7 points behind city with 5 games left. I don't care about run ins now etc, for the reason that city have already taken points off the top teams this season and are therefore capable of doing it again and we can't even beat birmingham away, so run ins mean absolutely F**k all to me. City have to F**k up atleast 3-4 times in their last 6 games and we have to win every game left, its a massive ask. Were also asking for spurs and villa to F**k up too.

I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment and want this season to be over ASAP for fucks sake
      Cardy
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 06, 2010 04:54:49 pm
      To be fair do we really deserve to finish fourth , the game against Brum probably mirrored our season , some good parts but mostly very poor, if we do not reach fourth and the yanks jump ship I for one will see this as a good season .
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #3: Apr 06, 2010 04:59:04 pm
      Do we really think the yanks will jump ship?

I know there are hundreds of us hoping and praying for this- but how likely is it actually to happen??
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Apr 06, 2010 05:02:49 pm

I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment and want this season to be over ASAP for fucks sake

I reckon the way things are this year if we did see a light at the end of the tunnel it would be a train
      in_the_red
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      • When you walk through a storm...
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2010 05:49:11 pm
      Fourth place is a massive ask. In reality its out of our hands.
      We should use the rest of the season to develop our attacking game, like we played against Sunderland. 

Give Pacheco a chance.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2010 06:01:19 pm
      No chance of finishing 4th barring a spectacular collapse from either Spurs or Man City.Although Spurs lost at the weekend our team was not good enough to capitalise on their loss.What was rafa thinking about taking our best striker Torres off at Birmingham? Gerrard & Torres both looked bemused by it? Another baffling decision.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2010 06:34:11 pm
      'underdogs' is a generous term at this stage, watching City smash Burnley to pieces on Saturday seemed to me to be a statement of intent, Spurs probably will collapse they don't have the stomach for big games but City's fire power is different gravy to anyone else's at the min. I think we'll get 5th and be forced to endure another horrible Uefa Cup/Europa League/Eurovision song contest run...
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #8: Apr 06, 2010 06:55:17 pm
      what a ridiculous article!

talk about stating the patently obvious.

so with a 4 point advantage, and a 3 goal superior goal difference, and a game in hand,

with just 5 games to go, the best the press can come up with is man city have gone f***in favourite.

So what was Gerrard meant to say  "oh, after us drawing with Birmingham and that 6 goals they banged in against Burnley we have them well and truly by the balls. "

'are you really that confident Steven" ?

"Oh yeah..........this weekend was all part of rafa's master plan, you see we have deliberately set out to lure City into a false sense of security"    "hell yeah.....I even played my role expertly by making it look like I was frustrated with Torres being withdrawn" 

"Just when they think we are suffering with disunity, we are gonna bugger them"  "right up mancini's arse! "

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #9: Apr 06, 2010 08:28:48 pm
      Stating the obvious Stevie!!!!!!!!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Apr 06, 2010 08:36:03 pm
      15pt up for grabs ....Whats to say we will get any?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,418 posts | 8647 
      Reply #11: Apr 06, 2010 09:27:06 pm
      'underdogs' is a generous term at this stage, watching City smash Burnley to pieces on Saturday seemed to me to be a statement of intent, Spurs probably will collapse they don't have the stomach for big games but City's fire power is different gravy to anyone else's at the min. I think we'll get 5th and be forced to endure another horrible Uefa Cup/Europa League/Eurovision song contest run...

Another Liverpool fan spoilt rotten after a couple of seasons in the European Cup!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #12: Apr 06, 2010 10:59:41 pm
      He's right, but maybe he should start getting the fairtale underdog story rolling about now
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Apr 06, 2010 11:39:05 pm
      This could work in our favour, we are not now expected to get forth, so maybe the team can play without the usual tenseness, if we play our normal game there are not many teams that can live with us, and all the frustration of this season could work out our way, Spurs City both have an hard run in. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #14: Apr 06, 2010 11:45:06 pm
      Another Liverpool fan spoilt rotten after a couple of seasons in the European Cup!!

What are we to expect if not competing in the Champions League as a minimum?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #15: Apr 07, 2010 12:38:22 am
      He's right, but maybe he should start getting the fairtale underdog story rolling about now
      Maybe if he had turned up for more than 4 games of our opening 33 we might not be in this mess.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #16: Apr 07, 2010 12:53:45 am
      This season is a bloody nightmare - dips in form and injuries  :f_steam:.  Annoyed with Yossi, surely the motivation should be there to prove the critics wrong and try to seize 4th (albeit v difficult task) who got us into this mess anyway!!!!  >:( 

Quick Reply