Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Hicks & Gillett

Read 228109 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Hicks & Gillett
      Reply #46: Dec 19, 2007 09:23:54 am
      neilh2105 I would say that a big percentage of our supporters rue the day Moores sold our club to Tom and George already.The way things are at the moment they could be gone pretty quickly and the club ruined for ever.What I would give to have T.V.Williams, John W Smith ,Sid Reakes all back leading our club again, Along with Shanks,Bob Paisley.Joe Fagan etc they must be turning in their graves at what is going on at Anfield these days.Rick Parry and John Moores have got a lot to answer for ,they cant be blameless in all this.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #47: Dec 19, 2007 10:53:23 am
      So Moores sold us down the river? Cheers for giving me a laugh this morning. David Moores only had the best interests of the club in mind, and to suggest any different is laughable. I'd like to know neil how you know DIC could have done a better job, do you know the sheikh personally or is it just a case of the grass always being greener? I think some people are being far too naive in expecting owners that are just gonna give without getting anything in return.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #48: Dec 19, 2007 04:08:37 pm
      Moores is free of all blame.

Parry is the guy that is looking more than shady right now.

How can a deviation of 15% of original budget mean that the whole stadium needs to be revised... most architectural plans go over that amount anyway and there is contigency budget to manage it.

I think there is no smoke without fire.

I feel Mr Hicks has borrowed more than he should have when he joined up with Gillette... who had already at least 75% of the DIC value of bid on his own.

We now suffer the consequences my fellow reds...

1. Who didn't do his due diligence properly? Credit ranking the Yanks...

2. Who probably would be out of a job via DIC? DIC only put DIC boys in at CEO after buy-outs.

3. Who gets a sale broker bonus any which way from Mr Moores?

4. Who hides behind G&H about pulling out of Jan transfers (in November)?

Answers on a post-card to R(i)P CEO, Anfield Road, L4.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #49: Dec 19, 2007 04:11:53 pm
      So Moores sold us down the river? Cheers for giving me a laugh this morning. David Moores only had the best interests of the club in mind, and to suggest any different is laughable. I'd like to know neil how you know DIC could have done a better job, do you know the sheikh personally or is it just a case of the grass always being greener? I think some people are being far too naive in expecting owners that are just gonna give without getting anything in return.

No I don't know him personally, but you already know that!
      Just look are Dubai itself its magnificent, everything they do is top notch, look what they have done for bloodstock! I'm a civil engineer, and have worked in Dubai for more than eighteen months on and off and they scrimp on absolutely nothing, everything is the very best they don't do second, I know that!! and they are also men of they word, totally honourable.  
      But, thats what might have been, we are where we are, and these two are quite simply hard nosed business men (see below). I for one hope and pray I'm wrong, and that in a couple of years I'll be posting an apology to you, but believe me mate that won't be happening!! I stand by my previous summing up!!!.
      I didn't say Moores sold us down any river, he just had his head turned, how one minute can you be extolling the virtues of DIC and change your mind in a couple of days?? Moores is a good man and has been a fantastic custodian of the club but he fu**ed up on this one, believe me.

Quote star70
      Here is a nice quote on sports ownership from Mr. Hicks from the Dallas Business Journal:

Sports team ownership is no longer just a rich man's hobby, sports magnate Thomas Hicks said Friday.

The chairman and CEO of Hicks Holdings LLC, whose sports-related holdings include the Texas Rangers Baseball Club, the Dallas Stars Hockey Club and 50 percent interests in American Airlines Center and Liverpool FC, made his comments to Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce members.

"All of these teams have become businesses in the past 20 years," Hicks said. " ... This business has to do with fan affinity and brand devotion. It doesn't necessarily have to do with winning."
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008 09:30:14 am by neilh2105 »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #50: Dec 19, 2007 04:27:28 pm
      No I don't know him personally, but you already know that!
      Just look are Dubai itself its magnificent, everyting they do is top notch, look what they have done for bloodsports! I'm a civil engineer, and have worked in Dubai for more than eighteen months on and off and they scrimp on absolutely nothing, everything is the very best they don't do second, I know that!! and they are also men of they word, totally honourable.  
      But, thats what might have been, we are where we are, and these two are quite simply hard nosed business men. I for one hope and pray I'm wrong, and that in a couple of years I'll be posting an apology to you, but believe me mate that won't be happening!! I stand by my previous summing up!!!.
      I didn't say Moores sold us down any river, he just had his head turned, how one minute can you be extolling the virtues of DIC and change your mind in a couple of days?? Moores is a good man and has been a fantastic custodian of the club but he fu**ed up on this one, believe me.

I don't think Moores is to blame - he put in a man to handle the sale and that was Mr Parry.

Having also travelled to Dubai with work, I do agree with your comments re DIC.

I have even been at DIC HQ - they are quality from head to toe.

They also said the Stadium plans and estimated budgets were wrong, look back at the press releases... OK these new (now modified) plans are from G&H architects... but they have now been scaled-back from their original designs published the same week they took over - who's fooling who then??

Parry has a lot to answer for... not Moores.

Hicks is a business shark (read posts from supporters of his other "franchises" in the States, and it's shocking!!!) - does not have the sporting passion of Gillete for LFC... was brought in to make up the numbers - and we have only just begun to see the sh*te this man will be ready to throw at our "franchise".

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #51: Jan 09, 2008 05:07:55 pm
      If anyone has heard Radio City news in the past hour then you will have heard that Gillett and Hicks are supposed to be having talks with an Irish millionaire John MisKelly to be a third invester in our club.

I'm not going to believe this until it's official, obviously. But given current situations with the yanks trying to borrow left, right and centre, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #52: Jan 09, 2008 09:15:20 pm
      Us Irish..........we're grand to buy a round of drinks, maybe the same applies for multi million pound players........we can only hope !!! ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2008 12:51:02 am
      Getting a bit ridiculous now.

They would probably be better floating us on the stock market and letting us all buy our own shares.  We must be one of the best supported clubs in the world.  Which Liverpool fan wouldn't want to own part of the club?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #54: Jan 10, 2008 12:54:37 am
      Getting a bit ridiculous now.

They would probably be better floating us on the stock market and letting us all buy our own shares.  We must be one of the best supported clubs in the world.  Which Liverpool fan wouldn't want to own part of the club?

Wow.......how good would that be ;)  To say you owned just a little bit of the most successful club 8)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #55: Jan 10, 2008 01:18:57 am
      I really think they haven't the clearest idea of what they've taken on. And it shows with the anticipation from Rafa and the new stadium. I hope they learn very quickly and keep learning.

Struggling to borrow money that will quite frankly decide what sort of stadium we end up with, on top of money they have already borrowed. If they had known what they had taken on in the beginning, the workmen would have been at work in Stanley Park by now. And then the focus of getting players in or sorting current players on loan. You have to get them sorted straight away but this was obviously not understood which led to the infamous 'concentrate on the players you have'. Which is annoying because the main player is Mascherano, which we do have, but might not have if you don't listen to the manager.

I'm very very hopeful that as things go with Liverpool in important games or roads to finals, this turns out the same. We don't do it the easy way but we are usually very happy at the end of it. Am I being too optimistic?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #56: Jan 10, 2008 12:39:07 pm
      Just another nail to be used for Parry's coffin.

This shows that:

1. DIC were right not upping their bid in the full knowledge that Parry's own stadium estimation (as part of bid) were wildly off the mark and set more money aside for the development not as part of bid, they should know they are building an entire country ...and know a thing or two about developments... funny how Parry wanted a buyer to upped maximum buy price, not overall budget (inc. stadium)... maybe his bonus was % of buy price - you bet your bottom dollar it was.

2. Parry rushed back to Gillet... who himself had to rush to Hicks to quick counter DIC's bid - not very clever, these multi-multi million dollar transactions are never rushed - particularly bringing in out of the cold a certain Mr Hicks who knew diddly about LFC ...or our culture - as we have seen.... now another rush to find Irish backer/money - what a balls-up.

3. DIC always put their own men in as CEO, so Rick would have taken Moores bonus and had to go (with head held high - not the way he will go eventually) - job protection space me thinks...

4. Rafa used by Parry (leaving him to the media vultures) to deflect attention away from the fiasco

5. Parry is not the right man for the job now and G or H or both should put a trusted son into that CEO to overview the next 2, 3 years and build a solid relationship with the REAL custodian (or man to be trusted) of LFC in the eyes of many supporters, Mr Rafael Benitez.

My views and I'm sticking to them.

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008 12:44:08 pm by donrafael »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #57: Jan 10, 2008 07:12:20 pm
      Completely agree don.  How Rick Parry is still there is completely beyond me. 

I was disappointed with the speed of DIC's exit and the rumours about them already planning to offload the club once the stadium was built.  The Americans 'custodian' bullshit can have only come from one manipulative source - Rick and his amazing technicolour shirts.

I'm disappointed that the American's failed to bring in a proper Chief Executive and we are now effectively run by a man who is so used to running a village shop that he does not have the ability to take us to the next level.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #58: Jan 11, 2008 09:09:31 am
      Completely agree don.  How Rick Parry is still there is completely beyond me. 

I was disappointed with the speed of DIC's exit and the rumours about them already planning to offload the club once the stadium was built.  The Americans 'custodian' bullshit can have only come from one manipulative source - Rick and his amazing technicolour shirts.

I'm disappointed that the American's failed to bring in a proper Chief Executive and we are now effectively run by a man who is so used to running a village shop that he does not have the ability to take us to the next level.

Rick Parry only has on interest and love in his life ...and that is Rick Parry.

I wonder where those DIC rumours came from... erm... er Rick Parry and his "friends" on Fleet Street perhaps?

He has fu**ed this all up big time... and cannot think for a second that the average fan has not noticed that most of it is of HIS making. It was HIS job to find the right buyers for the short-med-long term futures of the club... and guess what? He screwed-up... I wouldn't land the blame at G&H feet - Gillet was asked by Parry to find new investers and pronto... hence Hicks... and guess what when you rush this kind of thing... it will, no doubt, more often than not go pear shaped.

Grassy Arse Mr Parry.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #59: Jan 11, 2008 01:31:05 pm
      Look lets look at this a bit more positivly, now after reading up on the SCUM now being the richest club in the world and after watching the way Glazer took over and what he did does it not stand to reason that a similar thing could happen to us in the long term. We must have close to as many fans as the SCUM have world wide and personnally I think that G&H have seen this and want to place LFC in the same forfront as the likes of the SCUM and I truely believe this will happen. We will become a global brand big time it just a matter of time and Im totally convinced it will happen. If Hicks were so caught up with not worrying about winning then I dont think he would be as successful as what he is. And his comments from that article seem to be those of a man bargaining for lobbying position within a political framework and not those of a successful billionaire.

If you look at the likes of Chelsea they have the chance of becoming the next Leeds because of their lack of support world wide, they even lack support in the UK reason being is their CEO is pretty much in the SlickRick vein but unlike slickrick does not have the backup of the marketing and merchandising that we do.

I agree Rick Parry has certain inept qualites that must surely be addressed but at the moment thats not going to happen because of the way he has manipulated G&H into a sense of butterdupness by kissing their ass cheeks till his lips split. But  I really think panic stations are from the horizon at this time and we should concentrate on shouting our support on the terraces in the pubs and clubs and in your front rooms. Lets wait until the end of the season to see what happens thats all Im saying and perhaps it may be an idea to leave Parry in his place at this present time because lets be honest its better the devil you know than the devil you dont.
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      PUBLIC BACKING?
      Reply #60: Jan 11, 2008 01:59:53 pm
      All these recent roumers doing the rounds its a biy hard not to wonder if rafa will be gone in the summer! but seriously 2 things that strike out for me
      1 if g&h are so skint how will sacking a manager help this issue new man will want a sh*t load of money to bring in his ow players
      2 they have just paid 6.5 mill for a virtual unknown and this money must be on rafa's say so

so surely with this new signing they must trust rafa is the man to take them forward there not daft buisness men but they would be if they got rid of rafa and lets be honast its only ever hicks who comes out in the press
      i personaly think rafa is safe and this signing is a backing from the owners
      tommyLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -4 
      Re: PUBLIC BACKING?
      Reply #61: Jan 11, 2008 02:06:42 pm
      Hasnt Rafa alwas had money of H & G. He likes you to think he hasnt so the unwashed are up in arms. So in the last 2 windows he has had £46m
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #62: Jan 11, 2008 02:13:43 pm
      Yeah but money was made from selling players on too !
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #63: Jan 11, 2008 03:43:51 pm
      Hasnt Rafa alwas had money of H & G. He likes you to think he hasnt so the unwashed are up in arms. So in the last 2 windows he has had £46m

was meaning that if g&h are going to sack rafa its strange to give him 6.6m to sign players especially if there skint, rafa has always had money to spend but in the buisbness world why would you throw money at a manager your going to sack! its simple ypu wouldn't
      hence the reason i think rafa's job is safe
      tommyLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -4 
      Reply #64: Jan 11, 2008 03:51:51 pm
      Yeah but money was made from selling players on too !

It dont matter how the money was raised it is the yanks money. They allowed him to spend 40m last summer of there money not yours or mine or anyone elses but theirs. So you have spent 40m you have almost 60 players in your squadand he comes and asks for more are they not entitled to say you have enough get on with it?. Maybe they should say sel a 1/4 of your squad and then you dont need to rotate you can play your strongest team most weeks and get some consistancy.

Last year we had threads on most liverpool forums saying how lucky we where to have moores. Not me i might add. Then in last 2 months the same forums have slagged moores off. Mark my words in yime the rafa lovers will change their tunes.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #65: Jan 11, 2008 04:37:55 pm
      its not there money its the clubs money and they have basically spent nothing. Cisse and Bellamy paid for Torres for a start these 2 are jokers pulling the wool over everyones eyes. They have lied to us from the start show there faces only for really big games and I for one hope the piss off back to america before they ruin us and everything good about our club. Custodians my arse 
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #66: Jan 11, 2008 06:23:05 pm
      I don't really understand your point TommyLFC mate.   If you have £25m of assets and sell them and then purchase £46m worth, how much have you spent?   Yes, under Benitez we have been getting good money for our dead wood, but hey the reason we buy in the first place is to better the quality of the outgoing players.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #67: Jan 11, 2008 06:54:56 pm
      It dont matter how the money was raised it is the yanks money. They allowed him to spend 40m last summer of there money not yours or mine or anyone elses but theirs. So you have spent 40m you have almost 60 players in your squadand he comes and asks for more are they not entitled to say you have enough get on with it?. Maybe they should say sel a 1/4 of your squad and then you dont need to rotate you can play your strongest team most weeks and get some consistancy.

Last year we had threads on most liverpool forums saying how lucky we where to have moores. Not me i might add. Then in last 2 months the same forums have slagged moores off. Mark my words in yime the rafa lovers will change their tunes.

Now how about you sit down, have a think about things and come back with your own opinion rather than just regurgitating the tabloids opinion & passing it off as your own.
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #68: Jan 11, 2008 07:11:59 pm
      We've got to remember that our net spending in the Summer was £25m ish. We got £20m for runners up spot in the Champs League. This is money generated by the club BEFORE the americans took over. Plus the TV money gooes into the pot as well

So I don't really think they have used any of their own money yet.

Quick Reply