Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season

Read 10223 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Re: Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season
      Reply #46: Apr 07, 2010 12:39:01 pm
      Is correct Daz his last season here was outstanding and it's no coincidence that as a result we were able to command such a handsome fee for him and also finish second in the Prem.
      His previous time at Anfield was relatively undistinguished so his last season with us seems even more remarkable, after saying that and considering there was no adequate replacement forthcoming to say he is missed is an understated understatement.
      I think you under estimate Xabi's abilities, any team would miss one of the best midfielders in the world especially when he has been replaced with a crock and the master of sideways/backwards passing.
      For Torres to say what he has is stating the obvious and the media are trying to get a slant on it as is their way, just nobheads with pens.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #47: Apr 07, 2010 12:43:14 pm
      Xabi was brilliant his whole time here barring his injury plagued second last season here. I remember reading the stat about him out passing the pass master Pirlo in that famous Istanbul final. The lad was a class above from his first match against Bolton.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Apr 07, 2010 12:50:33 pm
      Is correct Daz his last season here was outstanding and it's no coincidence that as a result we were able to command such a handsome fee for him and also finish second in the Prem.
      His previous time at Anfield was relatively undistinguished so his last season with us seems even more remarkable, after saying that and considering there was no adequate replacement forthcoming to say he is missed is an understated understatement.For Torres to say what he has is stating the obvious and the media are trying to get a slant on it as is their way, just nobheads with pens.

Xabi was brilliant his whole time here barring his injury plagued second last season here. I remember reading the stat about him out passing the pass master Pirlo in that famous Istanbul final. The lad was a class above from his first match against Bolton.

I know one for thing for sure I'd take a below par Alonso over a fully firing on all cylinders Lucas Leiva.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Apr 07, 2010 12:53:53 pm
      I know one for thing for sure I'd take a below par Alonso over a fully firing on all cylinders Lucas Leiva.

Sniff... Wouldn't we all. Anyone who says we don't miss Alonso check out what happened to Madrid when he missed the Champions League KO stage.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Apr 07, 2010 12:56:54 pm

Don't know mate theres one or two think the whole world revolves around Lucas Leiva, when in fact it revolves around the sun, which just happens to shine out of my arse. :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Apr 07, 2010 01:04:08 pm
      Don't know mate theres one or two think the whole world revolves around Lucas Leiva, when in fact it revolves around the sun, which just happens to shine out of my arse. :)
      I was wondering what the smell was....

I still think we need a quality signing for midfield. Fair enough if Aquilani then comes good we can then offload a midfielder in January but to approach next year in the same manner as this one will be foolish. I am glad to see Rafa put so many reserves out on loan, which might indicate a determination to have them feature more prominantly next year but all our top reserve players are either forwards or wide men. For me we need a midfielder and a left back this summer along with the injection of Nemeth, Pacheco, Amoo and Eccleston
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #52: Apr 07, 2010 01:07:52 pm
      Good comments from Torres.

I entirely agree with him.  Worrying that in some respects he is drawing comparison between us and Atletico three years ago.

But then I'll bet Rafa started making comparisons with us and the Valencia 'lightshade' scenario a while back.

I highlighted after the summer how important it was to build on last years improvement with signings that would excite the current players and keep them on the toes. That didn't happen and you can see what it did to the players' morale.

The other thing is that the title of this topic and that article was slightly misleading. He paid as much emphasis on a backroom voice like Hyypia leaving and the inability for the club to purchase new players, as he did on Alonso.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #53: Apr 07, 2010 01:21:56 pm
      What I am pointing out mate is that his previous time here was undistinguished relative to his last seaon with us which set the world alight and proved pivotal in our success that year.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #54: Apr 07, 2010 01:22:41 pm
      Basically what I was saying as well. Alonso was a vital cog last season, so inevitably his loss would hurt us - but given strong backing it should not have been much of an issue, just a readjustment period if anything.
      I agree, but also, we already had issues in other positions too, which made it even harder to deal with this. Rafa has been forced to make Kuyt into a right winger, sign Maxi for free and now also Jovanovic for free, and have Babel and Riera as our left wingers, all for lack of funding. We all know that if we would've had more money to spend we would've been stronger in all those positions and more creative. Losing some influential players would've been easier to deal with, but we already had those unstable positions.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #55: Apr 07, 2010 01:26:59 pm
      ;D Don't worry bbb I read Johncolf's post I just don't like it when people call him Xavi that's all .

It's spelt Xabi but pronounced Xavi. His name is Xabier after Saint Xavier, but spelt that way because the Basques don't have a "v" in their language.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #56: Apr 07, 2010 01:34:09 pm
      It's spelt Xabi but pronounced Xavi. His name is Xabier after Saint Xavier, but spelt that way because the Basques don't have a "v" in their language.
      Well there's something we didn't know! So could they be called Vasques in that case?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #57: Apr 07, 2010 01:35:45 pm
      It would be nice if people started debating the story? I think the Guardian is a fair bet it's not a load of made up nonsense. Fair enough quotes can be made up.

Does anyone agree with Torres though?

i don't agree with everything 'he' says. 'he' says 'if you replace an engine, it takes a while to work'. i don't agree, if you replace an engine with f*** off awesome engine, it flies off the starting line no problem.

if you replace it with a pile of steaming horse manure (guess who i'm talking about?), then forget it taking a while to work, it'll take you backwards.

anyway, IF he has said this, credit to the man for speaking out. guardian don't normally bullsh*t though.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #58: Apr 07, 2010 01:39:18 pm
      Well there's something we didn't know! So could they be called Vasques in that case?

They are called Basques in French but Vascos in Spanish. They call themselves "Euskaldunak " So please yourself.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,278 posts | 801 
      Reply #59: Apr 07, 2010 01:40:13 pm

:lmao:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #60: Apr 07, 2010 01:41:18 pm
      Its not the sale of XABI Alonso that has wrecked our season its Benitez's failure to replace a vital cog to make our system function ,for 13m we could of had Wesley Snijder who would of   Slotted in no problem but the manager expected Lucas to fill in for 5/6months for the 20m crock that he took a massive gamble on , before anyone says we never paid 20m for Aquilanni up front , we wouldn't of paid Snijders fee up front either

are you sure? i thought inter paid the full amount for him? i wouldn't be surprised if the clinching deal for aquilani was the fact that roma agreed to stall his payments given his inury.

the financial situation the yanks have put us into would have forced rafa's hand to be honest.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #61: Apr 07, 2010 01:45:35 pm
      Sneijder cost 15 million and would have been a quality addition. Didn't happen. Alonso is gone.
      Main thing is we need to have that type of quality player come in this summer.
      Only problem is as Timberland once said...
      Aint got no money
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #62: Apr 07, 2010 01:53:04 pm
      are you sure? i thought inter paid the full amount for him? i wouldn't be surprised if the clinching deal for aquilani was the fact that roma agreed to stall his payments given his inury.

the financial situation the yanks have put us into would have forced rafa's hand to be honest.
      There looks to have been some wheeling and dealing with the Xabi deal and the Aquilani issue but the fact remains the manager did not have the benefit of the wedge from the the Alonso sale to juggle with and was as you say forced to take alternative steps.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: Apr 07, 2010 01:57:33 pm
      Hmmm

Sami would have done no better then Sotis
      Arbe could have covered left back so could have been handy to have

Alonso..great player but are people so silly as to think we've dropped so far back because he left? Weve been crap this season end of. No real cover for Torres. Stevie has been off the boil Alonso's replacement has hardly played. Only consistent player from game 1 has been Pepe

So no its not because Alonso went its many things
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #64: Apr 07, 2010 01:58:36 pm
      They are called Basques in French but Vascos in Spanish. They call themselves "Euskaldunak " So please yourself.
      The Spanish are said to have great influence in the region which I suppose is the reason for all the kick offs over there.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #65: Apr 07, 2010 02:32:03 pm
      Can't disagree with what he is saying. Except Hyypia wasn't sold as such :f_whistle:
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #66: Apr 07, 2010 03:32:42 pm
      Read a similar story in my paper this morning and to some extent I do agree with him.

We all know that Lucas/Masch aren't Alonso so don't do his job and Aquilani who was meant to be a direct replacement, hasn't been fit or played much this season. And Arbeloa for me is better at Johnson at defending but Johnson is better than Arbeloa was at attacking. Yes, we didn't need to let Hyypia go on a free but when he has played, Sotis has done just as good a job, but argueably did we need to buy him, could we have just kept Sami?

But the sales in the summer is not the only contributing factor to our poor season, it's been other things such as a mixed results, no cover for Torres, Stevie not on the same form as last season...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #67: Apr 07, 2010 03:42:23 pm

So no its not because Alonso went its many things
      Is correct Brian there are people who say it was the mangers fault that Alonso went but that is unqualified bollocks and by association they try to link our quiet season to his not being here, with the obvious conclusion that too is the managers fault.
      The top and bottom of the Alonso deal is that Rafa was not given the monies up front to replace him and we know where the blame lies for that, there are so many reasons this season did not live up to expectations and like the Alonso saga are not all attributable to the manager.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #68: Apr 07, 2010 05:19:23 pm
      I've been watching last season's matches over again recently, and I've been watching how much Xabi created from midfield - constantly spraying passes left and right. The occasional through-ball too.

But from what I've seen of Aquilani, he's quicker on and off the ball, more creative (looks for more through-balls) and gets in the box more. I know which player I'd rather have, when fit of course.

Quick Reply