Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Lucas Leiva
      (23.6%)
      Fernando Torres
      (21.5%)
      Daniel Agger
      (6.3%)
      Sotis Kyrgiakos
      (9.7%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (8.3%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (29.2%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (1.4%)

Liverpool 4 -1 Benfica: In-Game and Post Match

Read 55183 times
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: Liverpool 4 -1 Benfica: In-Game and Post Match
      Reply #828: Apr 09, 2010 11:01:09 am
      I did post this earlier in the game but when ever the commentator said

" Ramirez "

Did anyone think of Modern Warfare 2?

The stupid US general shouting it just kept laughing every time
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #829: Apr 09, 2010 11:18:22 am
      I was so on edge for most of this game, from the moment 'Nando started limping ! With Benfica in the ascendacy in the first 20 mins or so my thoughts were it'll end up 0-0. :'(
      How wrong could I be ?

1-0 up Kuyt and an offside flag, I thought thats it the official's are disciples of Jesus (Benfica manager) ! thankfully the ref saw sense.
      In defence of the linesman, :couch: he was on the opposite side of the pitch and I think he was of the opinion that the ball had hit another liverpool player before kuyt (which would have made Kuyt offside yes ?) ! If I'm wrong please feel free to lambast me ! :whip:

2-0 Lucas an absolute fantastic goal from a player thats been 'missing' a lot this season !

3-0 Torres, what this man is capable of when fully fit with a settled team behind him is not even worth contemplating.

From this moment on, my mind was on the Manure/Bayern Situation first league deficit 2-1 and a 3-0 lead at home in the second leg, silly me forgot WE are LIVERPOOL, we don't surrender 3-0 leads we recover from them ! ;D)

3-1 squeaky bum time for the rest of the game for me (see abvove ! :-[)

4-1 Torres again and yet another brace ! Breathing space again  

M.O.M. for me was Kuyt never stopped running, but more involvement than normal due to getting us off the mark.

What got me about Torres was, he was limping from the start but still played 90% of the match and scored twice, no wonder he got drug tested (when the 'White Pele' (shrek) has ankle trouble there's world war III over it and off he goes, f**king wimp !) !

Lucas's goal was a peach ! BUT this formation and team was forced upon Rafa due to Inury and suspension (Maybe he should keep it !)

Reina had more trouble with his studs than with anything Benfica tried ;D, their goal was due to the wall parting which for me is a definate no no, walls should be just that, permanent and not moving ! (which is exactly what happended with the following free kick !).

I agree with several people on here that viewing the game from the prerspective of the stands as opposed to the couch is very different, I didn't notice Sortoris Kyrgiakos until the 2nd half ! but he did a sterling job and looks like he's found a solid place in defence.
      I personally cannot put any minus's on the performance as a team (whether or not it was rafa's first choice!)

we outplayed the portuguese League leaders, stopped them from scoring in open play (in both games !), don't forget they were the tournaments leading scorers and unbeaten in the last 27 games (against a very poor liverpool side who are 6th in their league and falling apart at the seams (if you listen to the media that is !)) !

there really is no-one to fear this trophy is ours for the taking !
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010 11:44:34 am by frizzby5 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #830: Apr 09, 2010 11:38:30 am
      Nothing can beat a European night like last night.

Still buzzing!
      halofreak11789
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #831: Apr 09, 2010 11:43:10 am
      i do believe we have a great chance to land some silverware this season ... now lets win at the weekend and hope the other teams drop points *fingers crossed*  ;D ..
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #832: Apr 09, 2010 12:50:47 pm
      Fantastic Game.  Had a super sleep after that.  The only complaint against Liverpool was in the free kick they scored; Masch and Stevie showing their backs.  Wonderful victory.  Bring on Atletico.
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #833: Apr 09, 2010 01:14:04 pm
      Another top European night! Fantastic atmosphere around Anfield too. Lets keep it up red men! I also thought the team were excellent and wouldn't mind Rafa selecting that team more often!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #834: Apr 09, 2010 01:20:16 pm
      F***ing hell, come on crowd, the silence can only make the players more edgy.
      Dont know what it sounded like on telly Ross but it was far from quiet where we was it was bouncing .
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #835: Apr 09, 2010 01:22:42 pm
      Why did Stevie move from the wall! I would have got my prediction right maybe, ;D.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #836: Apr 09, 2010 01:24:41 pm
      Can I just say:

GERRRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNNNN NNNNN!

;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #837: Apr 09, 2010 01:53:07 pm
      I just had to listen to that cockface Tony Gale piss on yesterdays efforts by STILL talking about the Torres substitution on ssn. He said we won't do F**k all in the cup and insists Raffa ain't got a clue..!! I swear, first thing in the morning i cant take this sh*t.. I nearly fly kicked me samsung ffs..

He a F***ing tit him. Always avoids giving the reds proper credit doesn't he. If I see him on the telly talking about football, I change the channel.

I'm here alone, between thousands of Liverpool's fans, after being smashed 4-1. I still continue to chat with all with a good moon spirit because, like a said on my 1st post, really admire and respect your club.

Cheers and GL again :D

Thanks catenaccio. YNWA mate.

Dont know what it sounded like on telly Ross but it was far from quiet where we was it was bouncing .

Was booming wasn't it Andy! Was good to see you for a bevvy before the game mate.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #838: Apr 09, 2010 02:37:16 pm
      absolutely delighted with the result, said lucas and kuyt shouldnt start before the game but it worked out well and i dont mind eating my words when its called for.just a quick question, not sure which thread to put this in or if it has been covered, what is the difference in revenues between getting knocked out in the quarter finals of the champions leagues or winning the europa league? you have 3 more gates in the europa league but you get some smaller television rights. anyone know?
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #839: Apr 09, 2010 03:58:02 pm
      I suppose prize money is the biggest difference. Not sure what the difference is in tv revenues, but i imagine its much higher too. gate receipts would remain the same.
      moh20
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 185 posts | -2 
      Reply #840: Apr 09, 2010 03:59:48 pm
      we are awesome without insua arent we
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #841: Apr 09, 2010 04:19:51 pm
      I suppose prize money is the biggest difference. Not sure what the difference is in tv revenues, but i imagine its much higher too. gate receipts would remain the same.
      I've already posted elsewhere that it wouldn't surprise me if we've already surpassed Chelsea's income from the Champions League this season.  In any case, prize money means diddly squat to me.  We could win everything and not get any funds for players.  Same if we finish 4th or 14th.

In years to come I won't be telling my kids about the season we were made up to finish 4th because the media said it was important.

I'll be telling them about the great nights I had watching the reds in Europe, beating the Mancs etc, lifting European trophies and breaking new records.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #842: Apr 09, 2010 04:23:25 pm
      I've already posted elsewhere that it wouldn't surprise me if we've already surpassed Chelsea's income from the Champions League this season.  In any case, prize money means diddly squat to me.  We could win everything and not get any funds for players.  Same if we finish 4th or 14th.

In years to come I won't be telling my kids about the season we were made up to finish 4th because the media said it was important.

I'll be telling them about the great nights I had watching the reds in Europe, beating the Mancs etc, lifting European trophies and breaking new records.

Spot on.  It's actually incredible how much the media has an affect on people - not our club particularly, but those looking from the outside in.

Even this morning for example - I ended up in a large debate whilst getting my haircut for F**k's sake!

It's been a really strange season in terms of the 'fashion' to criticise our club.  Just don't give into it is all you can do I guess.
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #843: Apr 09, 2010 04:35:08 pm
      Lucas was excellent - this is where he should play, not as a defensive midfielder

Now for the weekend and Fulham - the chant has to be "Thursday night, Channel Five"  ;D
      Hagbard
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 140 posts |
      • Che was a red
      Reply #844: Apr 09, 2010 04:42:42 pm
      Spot on.  It's actually incredible how much the media has an affect on people - not our club particularly, but those looking from the outside in.

Even this morning for example - I ended up in a large debate whilst getting my haircut for f**k's sake!

It's been a really strange season in terms of the 'fashion' to criticise our club.  Just don't give into it is all you can do I guess.

It's only the media earning their crust as lackies of the Mancs and London. It's obvious that they are trying to undermine Rafa - he is seen as a danger so he, and the club, attract some obscenely unfair criticism while 'The Nose' can do no wrong.
      How about his openly racist comments about Germans?
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #845: Apr 09, 2010 04:59:29 pm
      How come Yossi isn't on the MOTM list? I think he was superb, every time he sprinted with the ball forwarded, we ended up with a goal.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #846: Apr 09, 2010 05:10:42 pm
      To be honest the back four held their ground well and the only time Benfica threatened with any venom was from the set pieces, the free kick that parted the wall took a deflection giving Pepe no chance at all so that was unavoidable really.
      The only reservation from the game was the seeming lack of creativity in midfield but hey what the F**k? we compensated well and were rightfully rewarded.
      RICKYMAN
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #847: Apr 09, 2010 05:16:00 pm
      Hi there...
      I'm a Liverpool FC fan from Portugal and here I support FC Porto.
      I went to the stadium of light for this game and I supported Liverpool of course...   ;D
      The refereeing was a joke and I will not even comment what happened, but believe me... it was not a single game... this is always happening with SL Benfica in Portugal. What a bunch of divers. Specially that Di Maria and Aimar. Oh well, it's the system!  :(
      The supporters who made crap were just a minory and usually this kind of things never happen in international games. Only on Benfica - Porto or Benfica - Sporting and other classics.
      As for yesterday's game I think justice was made... Liverpool shown what real football is and I'm happy to the referee performance who was not a Homer like the other one.
      Also, I'm watching some comments about Di Maria, Cardozo and David Luiz. As a portuguese league follower I know their qualities and as far I can tell:

- Di Maria: Really talented. Can be one of the best wingers in the world with hard work. Would love to see him in Liverpool;
      - David Luiz: Another talented player. A true fighter like Carra and with great skills for a defender. Loveling header and fast!;
      - Cardozo: CRAP. Very slow, can't domain the f**king ball and can't pass it also. Has a team working for him and could have much more goals than he actually has. Good header and power shot though but it would be sh*t at a club like this. He would be awesome for the blueshit.

____

Here in FC Porto we have a player named Falcao. He is not tall but is an awesome finisher and has the same goals as Cardozo. Except that FC Porto team is being weak this year because of our selling style. He would be a good backup player for Torres and he is a hard worker like Rooney, Kuyt and Carra.

Little Compilation: Radamel Falcao Tribute ~2009-2010~
      Last week's great goal: DIECINUEVEAVO GOL DE FALCAO EN PORTUGAL " GOLAZO DE CHILENA"

YNWA!

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010 05:26:04 pm by RICKYMAN »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #848: Apr 09, 2010 05:19:20 pm

Here in FC Porto we have a player named Falcao. He is not tall but is an awesome finisher and has the same goals as Cardozo. Except that FC Porto team is being weak this here because of our selling style. He would be a good backup player for Torres and he is a hard worker like Rooney.

Hmm. Quality player. Selling club.

We'll give you Riera for him
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #849: Apr 09, 2010 05:21:10 pm
      Thanks RICKYMAN. Great post. Welcome to the forum.

I love Falcao from when he was at River. Great finisher.

Atleast we're not the only ones who don't like Benfica's style ;)
      RICKYMAN
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #850: Apr 09, 2010 05:22:40 pm

Hmm. Quality player. Selling club.

We'll give you Riera for him
      He is a striker. As for Riera, he can go to Russia  ;D
      We already have creative wingers. What we need is a play maker like we had (Lucho) or someone who can pass the damn ball right.
      You can give us Gerrard  :lmao:

Quick Reply