Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Day Trippers?

Read 16417 times
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Day Trippers?
      Reply #138: Apr 08, 2010 01:41:57 pm
      Well just day tripping my way out the door off to see the reds . ;)
      Enjoy Andy, safe journey.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #139: Apr 08, 2010 02:08:47 pm
      Well just day tripping my way out the door off to see the reds . ;)

Ha ha good man Andy
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #140: Apr 08, 2010 02:18:13 pm
      Haha! Nice one Andy, safe journey.

Sorry if i digress away from the point being discussed, but i just want to reply to fazza and explain a little more :)

Fazza, i enjoy your posting most of the time, sometimes your points are not something i agree with, but they are well constructed and respectable - however this one represents a horribly closed minded view which i strongly disagree with, and although i know you meant no offense - it is offensive, however i won't hold it against you ;)

Now i never said that the internet research or getting my first strip on my 16th birthday is what makes me a great football and Liverpool fan - that was just stating that i indeed was already quite in love with this club before Istanbul, as you had made the point about post-Istanbul fans.

Now, bit of background on where im from, and how i became to be a fan - think ive posted this somewhere, and its a little hazy, but ill try and explain anyways. So, i come from a small town in country South Australia where there was only two sports that mattered - Aussie Rules in the winter, Cricket in the summer. The closest 'Soccer' league that i only found out about when i got older was a 50 minute drive away. I knew what footy was, and i enjoyed knocking the ball around at school, but knew nothing more than that, it was all AFL where i was from. But, my best mate somehow got into it when i was, oh, think it was maybe 11 years old - he was all about manure, and still is, but he told me about the channel that showed highlights and games every week, so i checked it out, and saw this little team called Liverpool playing - and i don't know what it was, but i just fell in love. Could have been the young, non-c**t version of Michael Owen, i don't know, but i was hooked. I hated manure from the off, no idea why but i did - coulda been just to piss off my mate, but then i started following Liverpool as well so it was fate me thinks :laugh: Also, i fell in love with the game itself as soon as i watched it - just loved it, everything about it. The skill, the passion, everything. Now, Fazza, try and even fathom loving this game and living in a place like i did. There's no outlet for your passion but just enjoying it to yourself. There's one reason why we gravitate towards European clubs.

Anyways, so from 11 through 16 i had nothing more than very occasional highlights on TV, and then little snippets in the newspaper - but i looked out for them ALL the time. Then i finally started getting on the internet probably around 15 and found out a lot more about the history and was fascinated. The stories of Shankly, Paisley, the players like Keegan, St John, Dalglish etc etc etc. I don't think i need to explain much more. Anyways, i was even more hooked. I got my first kit on my 16th birthday, and wore it proudly, and still do - along with the other 4 i have now :D

I was up at 4am for Istanbul. Do you know any teenagers who would get up that early for a game, unless it was real important to them?? Im a man who enjoys a lie-in as well! But i was up, cheering them on - and bloody fantastic it was! By then i was checking the internet all the time for reports about the team, and absolutely filling myself with infor everyday, and catching any game that was shown on TV.

Then, finished high school and started work, and my best mate (the manc) got his own place with cable TV so access to matches every weekend. And ever since then, it has been a weekly ritual for me to stay up late watching the games, doing anything i can to see them. And these games are usually on from midnight onwards, often 2-4am!! Every weekend, late night rituals to watch the reds. Weekdays as well when need be. It doesnt matter, its always worth it for me. Then i finally convinced my parents to get cable at home, and i paid my share just for the sports channels so i could have the games at home as well, and i was up every time watching them.

For 5 years now, ive been a hardcore fan, and then for 5-6 years before that, i was as gooder fan as i could be, with the limitations i had as a young kid in country South Oz with no internet, cable or anything like that. But i am now what i would think one many of the greatest fans on earth. I sing YNWA, bounce to Torres, etc etc just at home when im watching. Ive had two girlfriends break up with me with one of the main reasons being "You spend soo much time watching soccer and that team of yours!" which to that i said "F**k you, they are in my blood" and let them have it. I have gotten into fights with my parents after they have tried to tell me "its just a game" after ive gotten angry after a bad result - and i get along very well with my parents. My passion for this team is pumping through my veins 24/7, i wake up the two thoughts on my mind are to kiss my girl on the cheek, and then to log on and see what has happened in the world of Liverpool FC while ive slept. During the day, any chance i get im checking news and this forum for anything new - i stayed up until 2am just for fixture releases in June last year. Ive skipped classes, work, events, just to see a game.

The local team where im from is only 5 years old, as they reformed the league in Australia. How do you be passionate about a team that was just made? I love that team as well, and go to games when im in the country, but they are not my first love. Theres no substance there, it just feels like a manufactured team, not a team moulded from history like Liverpool.

Also, if you think fans should just come from Liverpool - then shouldn't the players? Two-way street, if you desire world-wide support gone, then the world-wide factory of players also shuts down. No Torres, no Reina, no player but ones from Liverpool.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, im simply stating that your opinion, to me, is a very closed-minded and disappointing one as someone i call a fellow red.

I aint no day-tripper - havent even been to a game before! But thats not the point, i feel i have just as much right as any to be called a Liverpool fan and go to a game as any, as the fact is the heart of this team has found its way into many people around the world, not just people from Liverpool itself.

Might be a little jumbly that post, and im sure i forgot things i meant to say, but my general idea is there i think :D

That's a fantastic post Dave, you're a top man :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #141: Apr 08, 2010 08:27:57 pm
      Was a good post mate and theres thousands and thousands like you. I've never questioned your support for Liverpool, or anybodys on this forum, but in my honest opinion I don't think somebody in your position has more of a right than somebody in merseyside for tickets, its just how I feel mate. I'm not talking about anything else other than tickets here.

Obviously we have different opinions, because were on two different sides of the world, and ofcourse you will always feel you have just as much right as anybody, but when I see liverpudlians with a liverpool postcode who have been going the match since they were a tot who can't get a ticket for the match nowadays and somebody from across the world can, I feel for them. Possibly because ive experienced it sh*t loads myself and it pisses me off.

Im lucky that I live in liverpool and have LFC on my doorstep and I know there are people around the world who haven't got that sort of luxury. I also know people live in different countries and football may not be the main sport there and therefore the standard is piss poor. Those people though, especially the english speaking nations such as australia, only ever support the top clubs in england, they never support stoke city for example do they? It's all based about success.

So where as I feel sorry for you in so many ways mate, I still don't think somebody such as yourself should have priority for tickets over somebody like my grandad who was watching liverpool in the shanks days, not the michael owen days.

We'll leave it there anyway mate, its just a different of opinion, and theres thousands who agree with me from liverpool and thousands who don't. Not saying im right but its just how I feel about it. Its my own personal annoyance. Its actually not anything against the supporters either, its about how liverpool fc is run.

Understood mate, but still disagreed - I just don't like it sorry  :-\ And just to re-iterate - im not saying any Liverpool fan from abroad has any MORE right, just that if a fan from abroad is prepared to fly overseas to see his/her beloved club play, then they have just as much right as any for a ticket. Why should someone who is just trying to see their club play once, have that denied cos someone is pissed off that they can't see their team play once out of the countless times they see them every season? I know if I was there id be singing my heart out just like any of you locals that go to the match, and unless I talk with my accent you wouldn't know I was from anywhere else.

This club would not be what it is without world-wide support. You wouldn't see players like Reina, Mascherano, Torres etc playing for us without world-wide support. Not to mention the man who scored the second goal of that brilliant FA Cup final against the bitters - where was he from? ;) And that was at a time when foreign players wasn't as bigger thing as now.

Anyways, why don't you support Everton then? Shouldn't we then measure the exact distance from your house to Goodison and Anfield, see which one you should support. How far do you want to go?

Day trippers can come from anywhere in the world - but so can true reds.

Oh, and i know people back hom who support Spurs, Fulham, etc - i don't know the reason, but not everyone supports the big clubs. And just cos i and many others do, doesn't mean we are glory hunters. If i was, then my manc mate who introduced me to the sport at about the time they won the treble i think, i would have been a manc. But i chose the team that took my heart, not the one that was winning the trophies. Like i said, i didn't have much of a clue at the amount of trophies Liverpool had when i first started watching them.

Just fate they happen to be F***ing awesome ;)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #142: Apr 09, 2010 01:03:52 am
      This word in my opinion is bordering on racism.Would I rather sit next to a Red from Toowoomamomba who sings his head off or some two bit local nomark who doesn't really give a f*ck.I'm with proper Reds wherever they are from,having no match ticket doesn't preclude you from being a proper Red.How many like me,sell business and home to be close enough to support the club in times of need,attend demos with no f*cking match ticket, and are happy to do it for no reward.Top bollocks Dave and others around the world,you are the future of this club,well in mates.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #143: Apr 09, 2010 01:27:10 am
      We have the 2 worst day trippers ever running the club

YANKS OUT
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #144: Apr 09, 2010 04:14:34 am
      So where as i feel sorry for you in so many ways mate, i still don't think somebody such as yourself should have priority for tickets over somebody like my grandad who was watching liverpool in the shanks days, not the michael owen days.

I've been reading this thread and enjoying the debate with interest. Although it's flew all the way upside down and inside out when it comes to staying on topic, it's given other people a chance to see the perspectives of a local red and non local reds.

I think we need to get one thing straight though. The only priority for the club is the people with more money to spend. Ask the birthplace of our club how their little rooms upstairs are doing on match days.

Does not matter where anyone is from because you don't measure passion by location. And you Fazza, as a local, who lives walking distance like myself from the ground, should know that all too well. Glenbuck wasn't walking distance to the ground.

Like I've said before, you get both non scouser AND scouser day trippers at Anfield. And in my opinion, they should all be hunted down and F***ing tortured. But the club will sell tickets to anyone and it's up to the passionate reds who care about our club to educate people, if they get a ticket. Not create divisions!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #145: Apr 09, 2010 04:24:23 am
      I've been reading this thread and enjoying the debate with interest. Although it's flew all the way upside down and inside out when it comes to staying on topic, it's given other people a chance to see the perspectives of a local red and non local reds.

I think we need to get one thing straight though. The only priority for the club is the people with more money to spend. Ask the birthplace of our club how their little rooms upstairs are doing on match days.

Does not matter where anyone is from because you don't measure passion by location. And you Fazza, as a local, who lives walking distance like myself from the ground, should know that all too well. Glenbuck wasn't walking distance to the ground.

Like I've said before, you get both non scouser AND scouser day trippers at Anfield. And in my opinion, they should all be hunted down and f**king tortured. But the club will sell tickets to anyone and it's up to the passionate reds who care about our club to educate people, if they get a ticket. Not create divisions!

F***ing well said.

And that bit in bold has made me all riled up and want to start a day tripper huntin' party :laugh:

All of us here, of many different races, religions, nations, backgrounds - one family: Liverpool FC.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #146: Apr 09, 2010 04:34:37 am
      Just read through this myself. Dave, fantastic post. RK, right on as usual. Roy is the man. Fazza...I get it. I don't agree, but I understand. I have to admit, though, it's that attitude that keeps me away from here.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #147: Apr 09, 2010 12:12:22 pm

Anyways, why don't you support Everton then?

Off topic but i support liverpool because my dad does, my granddad does, my great granddad did.

Everton were more successful than liverpool back in my granddads day so it has nothing to do with success, LFC has always been in our family and it'll carry on forever.

Thats why the day tripping fan does my head in, because my family name have always been associated with LFC yet there are thousands of day trippers who go to the match weekly who have supported the club since Istanbul. Istanbul is a good example of the glory hunting/day tripping fan. Liverpool Fc win the european cup for a 5th time in the most dramatic cup ties ever and it brings us an extra 10,000 fans or whatever. If you lot think thats a good thing because more money is generated into the club then fair enough thats your opinion, i find it annoying though, for the main reason that tickets are then taken up and the loyal fans who don't switch clubs every 5 seasons, who have a long family history involving LFC then miss out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #148: Apr 09, 2010 12:21:28 pm
      It's a shame that the whole out of town support issue has muddied the pitch of this thread.

Daytripper

n. person who visits Anfield with no real affiliation to the club. There because a mate got them a ticket, on a stag do, come to 'witness' the atmosphere, come to 'video the whole game on their phone', doesn't know the songs, happens to be in the North West, girlfriend/boyfriend of decent fan.  Or tells people they 'follow' Liverpool.  Yet probably supports United and Chelsea in Europe, forgets about the result at the final whistle and gets excited about their night out.

Supporter

n. Liverpool fan who lives either inside or outside Liverpool

And yet again, I'll say that daytrippers can be from ANYWHERE including Liverpool.

I witnessed some scouse daytrippers last night.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #149: Apr 09, 2010 02:36:02 pm
      It's a shame that the whole out of town support issue has muddied the pitch of this thread.

Daytripper

n. person who visits Anfield with no real affiliation to the club. There because a mate got them a ticket, on a stag do, come to 'witness' the atmosphere, come to 'video the whole game on their phone', doesn't know the songs, happens to be in the North West, girlfriend/boyfriend of decent fan.  Or tells people they 'follow' Liverpool.  Yet probably supports United and Chelsea in Europe, forgets about the result at the final whistle and gets excited about their night out.

Supporter

n. Liverpool fan who lives either inside or outside Liverpool

And yet again, I'll say that daytrippers can be from ANYWHERE including Liverpool.

I witnessed some scouse daytrippers last night.

Well said...like If I could I would go to Anfield myself more often but it's sometimes to hard to get tickets
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #150: Apr 10, 2010 02:10:38 pm
      Fazza your argument carries no weight. A few pages back you're mentioning how some people with LFC on their doorstep aren't turning up to the matches because we haven't performed well this season (and how you hate that attitude). Then you say that these people have more right to a ticket than someone from outside Liverpool, who is willing to sacrifice their vocal chords and SUPPORT the team, someone who will continue to love the club through thick and thin and will always be willing to back the team.

I don't get it.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #151: Apr 14, 2010 05:56:38 am
      this topic might as well be called   '"whos got the biggest willy thread"

People with personality disorders all clambering over each other trying to convince each other they are more red than anyone else. Saying stuff like  "well I regularly wear my Liverpool jockettes to bed every night, and did I tell ya?  Ive got 7 pairs altogether, one for each night of the week" 
      or
      "I was born in a council house on Walton Breck Rd, as a baby my mum was walking my pram past Anfield Stadium when.....legend has it...... I sat up bolt upright in the pram and started singing YNWA in perfect tune.
      nobody was able to offer an explanation, my mum was completely gobsmacked. I guess thats the defining moment where I just knew this club was made for me and I was made for this club"

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #152: Apr 14, 2010 05:59:06 am
      Oh jeez. There's more to it than that, don't degrade it.

Besides, we all know my dicks bigger than yours.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #153: Apr 14, 2010 12:58:43 pm
      Fazza your argument carries no weight. A few pages back you're mentioning how some people with LFC on their doorstep aren't turning up to the matches because we haven't performed well this season (and how you hate that attitude). Then you say that these people have more right to a ticket than someone from outside Liverpool, who is willing to sacrifice their vocal chords and SUPPORT the team, someone who will continue to love the club through thick and thin and will always be willing to back the team.

I don't get it.

It does carry weight, the locals who don't turn up when the team are performing poorly and then claim their boycotting the club don't deserve tickets no.

But i will always strongly feel against people who have supported the club for 2 seconds, usually for a sh*t reason like we've just won a cup, or they like a red footy kit, or maybe they fancy stevie G, they don't deserve tickets over somebody such as a local fan who has been red through and through for 50 odd years who now can't get a ticket because of these supporters.

You don't understand because im guessing you live miles away too. This years been different because tickets have mostly been piss easy to get, but for years its been almost impossible. Its difficult to watch thousands of people from all over the world (who have supported the club for 5 minutes) turn up at anfield every week when people who have followed the club for years cant get a look in. Personally i dont think its fair.

I have nothing against those fans, some are die hard supporters, some will support a new club in 5 years or so, I don't really care. My annoyance is against the way liverpool fc is run and thats it.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #154: Apr 14, 2010 04:43:45 pm
      Why is this post still going??!!

Everyone should now know what a day-tripper is-
      And as for people who have supported lfc for 50+ years, if the tickets are so piss easy to get, why are they having trouble??
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #155: Apr 14, 2010 11:57:28 pm
      There are fickle fans from Liverpool..there are fickle fans from around the world.

There are diehards from Liverpool...there are diehards from around the world.

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #156: Apr 15, 2010 01:04:22 pm
      a day tripper   is a whore on crack............well thats what the Beatles thought when they wrote the song day tripper

Quick Reply