Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Question about the SPL Table

Read 3201 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Question about the SPL Table
      Mar 26, 2010 05:41:44 pm
      Does anyone know why they "Lock" the table for the last 5 matches of the season. I was looking at the table and noticed the Note on the bottom.

Note that table splits in half for the last five games of season, after which no team from the top six can drop into the bottom six, and no bottom six team can climb into the top six, irrespective of points earned.

So that means if the 7th team is just a few points off from a top position with 5 games to go they cant move into a top spot? It just seems odd.

Just for discussion purposes.  What happens if the top 8 teams in the league are only 5-8 points apart and the 8th place team secures 15 points in their last 5 matches. they cant move up to the top spot?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Question about the SPL Table
      Reply #1: Mar 26, 2010 05:47:30 pm
      The SPL sucks so doesn't surprise me.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #2: Mar 26, 2010 05:52:28 pm
      Never heard this rule. It's a sh*te league, and this rule just proves it!
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #3: Mar 26, 2010 06:36:34 pm
      The bottom six teams can only collect point to avoid relegation, but they can't get into the top six teams, that fight for the Europe spots and the title. A bit like the playoffs to qualify for the Premier league.  That's why everyone is so desperate to finish 6th or higher. And I have no clue why it's like this. A sh*t rule this.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Mar 26, 2010 06:48:44 pm
      It's so they can all play each other again. There's not enough teams to last the full season. If they all played each other twice it would be 22 games each, in a similar manner to our own 38, which obviously spreads out a lot longer.

I've never known why they haven't just put 20 in and cut down the amount of lower leagues?

Suit yourself though Scotland. Might explain why there's not much competition in Europe. ;)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #5: Mar 26, 2010 07:51:42 pm
      I just think its a real sh*t rule.  I mean, what if the league has an awesome season where a lot of teams 1-8 are only separated by 8-10 points going into the last 6 weeks,  Technically a team 8 points from the first spot and is currently sitting in the 7th spot on the table. has an epic run and wins its last 6 matches getting 18 points and technically goes from 7 to first. So because of this asshole rule, their fu**ed and stuck at the 7th spot even though they have more points than the team that finishes 1st.  Thats a f***in' crime.  So the best team in the league with the best record has to settle for 7th while the 1st place team who has less points than the 7th place team wins the cup and SPL title?

Thats a bullshit rule and just the law of averages means that that is exactly going to happen in a future season and the best team is just pissed on.   Thats fu**ed up. Even in the EPL the last 5 matches can make a team go from a mid tier level to a top 4 finish.  The last 5 matches make it more competitive and would make for better football.  Why would a league decide to just take away what could be really good exciting football and turn it into a no nothing month of bullshit.

If the SPL is going to continue with that rule than why even bother playing the last 5 matches,  My thoughts. I think its just some rule to keep the Old Firm on top every season and F**k all the rest.  Thats utter,complete bullshit and I like Celtic and I love the Old Firm Matches. But to skew the table and move the rules around to benefit 2 teams and screw the rest doesn't exactly make for a fair and balanced league.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Mar 26, 2010 09:31:44 pm
      That's F***ing mental.

So really, after they split the table, there's no point even trying?

That's the most stupid thing i've heard for months, and i've heard some pretty outlandish statements.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #7: Mar 26, 2010 10:25:02 pm
      That's F***ing mental.

So really, after they split the table, there's no point even trying?

That's the most stupid thing i've heard for months, and i've heard some pretty outlandish statements.
      Yeah exactly. Why even bother playing the last 5 matches if it means you wont climb up or fall down in position.   5 matches is a 15 point swing.  Thats huge.  Some season where a 7th place team goes on a tear gets 15 points in the last five games and goes from 7th to first, is actually not going anywhere. Their just screwed.

I just dont understand it. The SPL and their governing body really need to explain how that is beneficial whatsoever to the game. Let the teams play and what happens, happens.  Especially in a league where you only have 12 teams in the top league.  I think they also need to combine the SPL with their league One and make it a bigger league.  A 12 team league is kind of a joke.  In any given season every week its 6 matches and its always the same teams playing eachother.  Gets a bit boring I would think.  If thats the case then have a playoff tournament where the top 8 teams play in a single elimination tournament to determine the SPL champion.  Because honestly.  I like Celtic and follow them as much as I can. But it gets a bit repetitive when every years the Champion is either Celtic or Rangers.  Every f***in' year its one of those 2 clubs.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #8: Mar 26, 2010 10:38:45 pm
      The bottom six teams can only collect point to avoid relegation, but they can't get into the top six teams, that fight for the Europe spots and the title. A bit like the playoffs to qualify for the Premier league.  That's why everyone is so desperate to finish 6th or higher. And I have no clue why it's like this. A sh*t rule this.

Pretty much sums it up, its a ridiculous rule for a ridiculous league, if your mathmatically secure of relegation the only advantage is playing youth and fringe players, but as if they even need to try and would the fans even turn up? For example away to the bottom of the league who are already relegated? both teams have nothing to play for? dont think ild be paying to see that any time!
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: Mar 26, 2010 11:15:54 pm
      As someone who used to follow it quite intensely a few years ago (I didn't support anyone - I only support Liverpool - I just watched the Satruday or Sunday afternoon games which were being broadcast by BBC Scotland during the time) I still don't have a clue why they do that. It's an awful rule for what has become an even worse league the past few years. It truly is awful. I mean it was somewhat enjoyable watching Rangers and Celtic back in 2003 around that time, with Martin O Neil and Alex McLeish managing very good sides consisting of Larsson, De Boer, Sutton, Klos, Hartson, Lovenkrands, Lambert but they really have gone downhill since 2004 and continues to slide. I currently live just a mile away from Celtic Park (I can see the roof) but I've never been there because they don't interest me even as a football fan. Back in the day maybe I'd like to see Larsson and co play in the Old Firm but now - just no.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #10: Mar 28, 2010 04:53:07 am
      Whats even more fu**ed about that rule is the league only has 12 teams in it.  I just dont understand how a team with more points and a better record, who kick ass for the last month of the season have no chance to improve or win the league.  Because it will happen one day where a team with more points at the 7th spot than the first place team, is just fu**ed and sent packing.

Technically that rule has to violate some sort of guideline or rule in the UEFA or FIFA bylaws.  Thats just blatant sh*t.  Their is no way that any professional sports team should be forced to settle for anything less than their performance on the playing field. 

It also seems from the posts in this thread that people really didn't even know this rule was in effect.  I just cant believe that the Scottish football fans allow this to continue.  The SPL should either do away with the rule or allow a playoff style system to determine a true, real champion. Somehow I seem to think it may be a rule that will favor the "old firm" and keep a monopoly of Rangers/Celtic at the top of the table and quite frankly the fact that Rangers and Celtic are always winning the Cup leads to a rather boring league and no real, true competition. Which could be the reason they seem to get their asses handed to them in the CL every year and never make it out of the first few rounds of competition.
      RedWilly

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #11: Mar 28, 2010 01:11:39 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised at all if the SPL had this done to ensure that the Old firm stay at the top. Because lets be honest, the SPL needs all the money and coverage it can get, so if Celtic or Rangers were to suddenly drop off one season, and fall out of that top 6, then the SPL would really lose out on it's already limited coverage.

Ridiculous, sh*te league.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #12: Mar 29, 2010 06:09:58 pm
      I can see locking the table for the top six then have a one and done tourney and decide a champion.  I think it would make for a better competition and I think people would like to see some team like Dundee or Kilmarnock or Aberdeen get the title.  For a league to exist their needs to be parity and in a league where only 2 teams win year in and year out make s for a boring league. No teams beside Celtic/Rangers can get top talent because the constantly sign and get the best players.  So mid tier team are always going to be mid tier.

I just dont understand it. SPl supporter should out pressure in the SPL league to 1) Increase teams from12 to 20.  Do away with "Locking the table and out together a fair and balanced revenue sharing so the smaller market teams can et money to sign and keep their talent instead of losing them to Rangers and/or Celtic every f***in' season.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #13: Apr 13, 2010 01:23:05 pm
      Looks like it might not be around for much longer, it can be very unfair on small teams, for example Motherwell having to play Celtic away again this season, its not going to do them any favours.

Good thing its going though i suppose, might give others teams more of a chance.

Rangers call for end of Scottish Premier League split

Rangers have called for the Scottish Premier League's controversial split to be scrapped completely after being handed three away fixtures in a row.

The SPL splits into two sections of six for the final five games and the fixtures were announced on Saturday.

Motherwell have already mounted a protest, while St Mirren say their schedule is unfair.

Now leaders Rangers have issued a statement claiming a "lack of sporting integrity" in how games are arranged.

The Ibrox side are 13 points ahead of Glasgow rivals Celtic and on the brink of retaining their title.

But that has not prevented them entering the debate over the final five league fixtures.

Those were announced on Saturday, with the top six playing off for the title and qualification for the Champions League and Europa League while the bottom six fight it out to avoid relegation.

Motherwell said on Monday that they plan to challenge their fixtures as they are unhappy at having to play a third fixture of the season away to Celtic in the top six.

St Mirren are angry at having to face a third trip of the season away to relegation rivals Falkirk.

The SPL has responded by saying that there was no mathematical way of ensuring that every side played 19 home and 19 away fixtures because of who had qualified in each half of the league.

But Rangers have called for a debate over the SPL's structure, saying that "many external factors are affecting the make-up of the post-split fixtures, which has led to a lack of sporting integrity".

"Indeed, the club would like to look at ways of losing the split completely," said Rangers' website.

Among other considerations when deciding the post-split schedule, the SPL attempts to avoid a Celtic-Rangers derby being a title decider.

And chief executive Martin Bain told his club website: "We are obviously pleased to be in a good position in the SPL going into the post-split fixtures.

"However, we have not won anything yet and we feel that the way the games have been scheduled places us at a competitive disadvantage.

"We find it very disappointing and surprising that we have been asked to play three consecutive away matches in the space of 10 days at such a crucial stage of the season."

Rangers will visit Hibernian, Dundee United and Celtic - something Rangers say "flies in the face" of one of the main priorities of the SPL fixtures working group.

"We know we have work to do in our efforts to win the championship, but it is maybe just as well we have a good lead given the schedule we are faced with," added Bain.

"It is certainly our understanding that clubs are never forced to play three away games in a row before the split, so we don't know why we are being asked to do so now."

There have been a number of calls this season from managers in the SPL, including Rangers' Walter Smith, for the league to be expanded to include more clubs.

BBC 13/4/2010
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #14: Apr 13, 2010 02:18:07 pm
      Absolutely shocking idea, and whoever came up with it needs there heads examined!

To the people stating that the team in 7th pick up the full points after the split, could end up with more points than the team in first or even second or third for that matter, in my opinion they simply arent good enough. If you look at the standings at the minute its impossible for the team in 7th to finish 3rd. I just feel that celtic and rangers are far too strong for them (even after celtic having an awful season, there still 5 points clear of 3rd place)

I dont even know what place you have to come in the league to get a european spot (although id imagine in such a sh*te league it would be top 3)
      but the likes of this year hearts are in 7th place and potentially could end up in 4th which is totally unfair (especially if its top 4 get into europe)

Anyway sh*te rule so get it scrapped!!!!

Quick Reply