Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Rafa Benitez: We need to spend £60m on players

Read 10892 times
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Rafa Benitez: We need to spend £60m on players
      Reply #92: Apr 13, 2010 01:54:02 am
      Can't relax until the sh*te is out of the systom.This week of all weeks won't tolerate unswerving support,mate I know you are a long term supporter like me,we don't presume significance,but I expect respect,but more so I expect respect for my team and manager until the end of the season.
      Red Roy I have always Respected true LIVERPOOL FC suporters, the team and the manager, there is no unswerving in me mate, I might not be from Liverpool, but my heart is there when it comes to watching the Reds play.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #93: Apr 13, 2010 01:54:51 am

Young players have got to be handled exceptionally well.  And as much as I admire their potential - now isn't the time for amateurs.

Last year would you have said that 'Pedro' (who he?) would replace Thierry Henry in the starting line up of the European Champions and score 17 goals in the process?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #94: Apr 13, 2010 01:59:58 am
      Last year would you have said that 'Pedro' (who he?) would replace Thierry Henry in the starting line up of the European Champions and score 17 goals in the process?
      Your point I think was that Rafa doesn't bring youth players through.  That's a huge spin-off from the title of this topic.

Do you agree with Rafa's assessment that we need £60M to bring 3 top players to Liverpool?  It's a relatively simple topic title.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #95: Apr 13, 2010 02:00:44 am
      Are you for real?If you do not understand "the Liverpool Way".Then you are on the wrong forum.Goodbye.

Did the 'Liverpool Way' bypass Gerard Houllier when he was lynched FOR FINISHING 4TH!!??
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #96: Apr 13, 2010 02:06:38 am
      Did the 'Liverpool Way' bypass Gerard Houllier when he was lynched FOR FINISHING 4TH!!??
      He wasn't lynched.  Two seasons after finishing 2nd and having bucket-loads of money to spend it became obvious we wouldn't progress.

Entirely different situation at Liverpool Football Club these days.

I won't ask you to stay on topic again.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #97: Apr 13, 2010 02:21:38 am
      [/quote)Yes.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #98: Apr 13, 2010 02:40:55 am

Houllier wasn't lynched for finishing fourth. Houllier's time was up because we'd became mundane in our approach to every game. The tactic was simply throw it up to Owen and hope he'll score.

Houllier never returned the same after his heart problems. Understandably so as well. But because of that, he was holding us back. He couldn't find the right system and/or players to take us to the next step. Because of that, both the club and the man himself decided it was better to part ways.

Houllier did what was best for the club.

And by the way this is coming from one of Houllier's staunchest fans. I still love Houllier and am gutted he was unable to deliver us to the league title but my love for the man didn't blind me that I couldn't see that he wasn't gonna win the League so he had to go - he did.

As for us needing to spend 60m, well I think that's someway short of what we need to spend.

What we need, in my eyes, is somebody to be able to replace Torres when he's out - decent centre forwards don't come cheap. Two proper out and out wingers as Maxi doesn't really impress me, Babel should of been sold long ago, Yossi is inconsistent and for all his efforts Kuyt just isn't up to the job. Again wingers won't be coming cheap. I do think we need a central midfielder who can either a) put his foot on the ball and spread the play or b) ghost into the box like Terry Mc or Ray Kennedy would do. Again that won't be cheap. If a right back came along I wouldn't turn it away as Johnson still leaves a lot to be desired and Degen is a permanent fixture in the treatment room. And with Aurelio's contract up we will need another left back as Insua looks to be really struggling this season.

Now obviously these could be sorted out if Rafa was a little more prepared to try a youngster like he did with Insua. Maybe try Pacheco and Torres up top together and drop Stevie back or on the right. Maybe try Amoo down the right or Ince down the left. Maybe try Kelly as a long term right back. Obviously they're not gonna be world stars at this age but a sustained run in the side could save us millions.

But if we want proven quality, then £60m isn't gonna get us the quality we need around the pitch. That'll probably get us one top class winger, another one like Riera or Babel and an ok quality centre forward (even they're going for 10-15 million these days).
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #99: Apr 13, 2010 02:44:19 am
      Houllier wasn't lynched for finishing fourth. Houllier's time was up because we'd became mundane in our approach to every game. The tactic was simply throw it up to Owen and hope he'll score.

Houllier never returned the same after his heart problems. Understandably so as well. But because of that, he was holding us back. He couldn't find the right system and/or players to take us to the next step. Because of that, both the club and the man himself decided it was better to part ways.

Houllier did what was best for the club.

And by the way this is coming from one of Houllier's staunchest fans. I still love Houllier and am gutted he was unable to deliver us to the league title but my love for the man didn't blind me that I couldn't see that he wasn't gonna win the League so he had to go - he did.

I don't see a discernable difference between then and now (except we finished 4th under Houllier  :f_tongueincheek:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #100: Apr 13, 2010 02:49:29 am
      Rafa has brought us a champions league winners trophy not to mention, 2 finals and most like the europa league trophy also he has took us the closest to the tittle then any other manager so far, he founded the great partnership between Torres and Gerrard, there not even half of the differences.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #101: Apr 13, 2010 02:49:41 am
      I don't see a difference between then and now (except we finished 4th under Houllier)
      That's because you're blind - did you start following the reds on the 25th May 2005?  Houllier had money at his disposal.  He operated under a management system where winning trophies was the number one priority - not paying back the banks.

Man City weren't spending £200M on players back then.  Spurs and Villa weren't outspending Liverpool by £80M.

In any case, Houllier was given two seasons.  I think Rafa should be given two 'funded' seasons as well. It's only fair.

That was an excellent post DLS.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #102: Apr 13, 2010 02:51:06 am
      I don't see a discernable difference between then and now (except we finished 4th under Houllier  :f_tongueincheek:

If you're not taking the piss with the original comment, you're F***ing clueless.

Two F***ing, greedy, fat over-blown differences.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 826 
      Reply #103: Apr 13, 2010 02:52:37 am
      If you're not taking the piss with the original comment, you're f**king clueless.

Two f**king, greedy, fat over-blown differences.
      :lmao:  :lmao:
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #104: Apr 13, 2010 02:55:00 am
      If you're not taking the piss with the original comment, you're f**king clueless.

Two f**king, greedy, fat over-blown differences.

Rafa must love having these owners because no matter what's going on with the team, he's never liable
      Also, since when did Houllier have untold riches at his disposal - he spent net ~£80M over 5 years in a period when Man Utd bought Veron,RDV,Ferdinand etc
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #105: Apr 13, 2010 02:56:11 am
      Also, since when did Houllier have untold riches at his disposal - he spent net ~£80M over 5 years in a period when Man Utd bought Veron,RDV,Ferdinand etc
      And who was winning the league back then?
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #106: Apr 13, 2010 02:57:43 am
      And who was winning the league back then?

on topic please my friend :f_tongueincheek:
      edit - I guess it kinda is on-topic, got a bit caught up there
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,931 posts | 826 
      Reply #107: Apr 13, 2010 02:58:33 am
      Times have changed, the evaluation of players have gone through the roof, surely Rafa deserves more money then Houllier because back in his years of management the transfer prices were reasonable now there ridiculous.  
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #108: Apr 13, 2010 03:00:00 am
      Times have changed, the evaluation of players have gone through the roof, surely Rafa deserves more money then Houllier because back in his years of management the transfer prices were reasonable now there ridiculous. 

£28M for Veron, £30M for Ferdinand?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #109: Apr 13, 2010 03:02:50 am
      Rafa must love having these owners because no matter what's going on with the team, he's never liable

Why do you think Rick Parry got so involved with Rafa's transfers, because he'd already been stung once before by simply handing over an empty cheque book to Houllier. Do you not remember him spending £11 million on Heskey in the April of the 2000 season, when he could of waited until the end of the season when he could of got him at a cheaper price. Houllier of course couldn't show faith in Titi Camara, because he had a falling out with Houllier AND once that happened, the player usually ended up gone from the club, Fowler, Babbel, Westerveld, Litmanen and Anelka are ones off the top off my head who had run-ins with Ged and hardly ever played again.

Plus by the end of that 2004 season Houllier had already lost the dressing room as he was letting Owen, Gerrard and Carragher change his mind on certain players who should and shouldn't be playing, for example like telling him to play Murphy instead of Milan Baros, lucky we got a penalty and won the game so it was quickly forgotten.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #110: Apr 13, 2010 03:05:24 am
      If you are a genuine Liverpool fan then I'm happy to call a temporary truce.  If you are a genuine Liverpool fan then I'm not sure what company you keep but to compare the Houllier and Benitez era shows an alarming lack of knowledge which sets off alarm bells.

Anyway, £60M is the bare minimum. 
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #111: Apr 13, 2010 03:07:24 am
      Hahaha Your a joke.. . .From reading your posts you do seem to have a real love for the club but how can someone that knows so much honestly come up with to put it nicely . . retarded opinions Houlier finished fourth because the competition was easier and he had money to spend,he was also a great manager and also struglled to make a real push for the the title.

The difference between the two is Rafa is not a yes man,he is not afraid to go against the grain and put the club,and us the fans first,and also a game in Istanbul that Houllier would probanly not have got us there.

How can you call yourself a Liverpool fan ? After 1 season of failure you'r calling for his head,were you saying the same this time last year when we were in for a shout of making it no 19 ? honestly its fans like you that make me think some fans have forgotten the Liverpool way

I wish i was born 40 years ago and in Liverpool . . .  
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #112: Apr 13, 2010 03:08:36 am
      If you are a genuine Liverpool fan then I'm happy to call a temporary truce.  If you are a genuine Liverpool fan then I'm not sure what company you keep but to compare the Houllier and Benitez era shows an alarming lack of knowledge which sets off alarm bells.

It's a completly legitimite comparison
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #113: Apr 13, 2010 03:10:54 am
      It's a completly legitimite comparison
      Tell me how it is a legitimate comparison.

Summarise other clubs purchasing of new players compared to Liverpool's.

Tell me the working conditions and support given by the board.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #114: Apr 13, 2010 03:12:30 am

How can you call yourself a Liverpool fan ? After 1 season of failure you'r calling for his head,were you saying the same this time last year when we were in for a shout of making it no 19 ? honestly its fans like you that make me think some fans have forgotten the Liverpool way

Never called for his head - quite the opposite - I just get the feeling on this forum that it is a cardinal sin to declare "Rafa - you fu**ed up" - and in my frustration, I asked the question why Houllier wasn't just sacked, but slung out on his ear to the delight of the Kop for doing no worse than Rafa has this season (better IMO, maybe some don't, but I remember the last days of Houllier and he was treated with outright contempt - I just don't understand the metamorphosis when it comes to Rafa)

Quick Reply