Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Pre Match: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool (EL Semi Final 1st Leg)

Read 16052 times
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Re: Pre Match: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool (EL Semi Final 1st Leg)
      Reply #161: Apr 22, 2010 11:37:53 am
      How is Diego Forlan been this season? Just realised he plays for them

17 goals in 29 appearances. 21 goals in all competitions.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #162: Apr 22, 2010 11:39:21 am
      17 goals in 29 appearances. 21 goals in all competitions.

:eek:
      Not bad can find his feet still

We have this man:

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #163: Apr 22, 2010 11:40:52 am
      :eek:
      Not bad can find his feet still

We have this man:

The Greek god himself. Long live SOTO!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #164: Apr 22, 2010 12:52:53 pm
      Anyone know how they're likely to line-up?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #165: Apr 22, 2010 12:57:53 pm
      Atletico Madrid Last starting XI (vs. Villarreal): De Gea, Alvaro, Ujfalusi, Perea, Lopez, Assuncao, Tiago, Simao, Jurado, Reyes, Aguero.

Liverpool Last starting XI (vs. West Ham): Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Agger, Lucas, Gerrard, Maxi, Kuyt, Benayoun, Ngog.

Take Aguero out as he is banned and Maxi out for us

match on 22nd April 2010 maybe the starting line up will be like this:

Liverpool : Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Agger, Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard, Benayoun, Kuyt, Ngog.

Atletico Madrid : De Gea, Ujfalusi,Perea, Dominguez, Lopez, Tiago, Assunsao, Raul Garcia, Jurado, Forlan, Simao

Not sure how reliable the source is. Took out Insua, Torres and Maxi from the Liverpool team
      « Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010 01:06:40 pm by racerx34 »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #166: Apr 22, 2010 12:59:03 pm
      Anyone know how they're likely to line-up?

with 11 players in various positions on the pitch ;D

I'm hoping for a convincing win tonight, but I'll gladly take a score draw for the away goal.
      Sweeney The Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 170 posts |
      Reply #167: Apr 22, 2010 01:11:36 pm
      Why call him "the greek" I think thats rude.. Soto isn't so hard?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #168: Apr 22, 2010 01:14:16 pm
      Babel back for Reds

COMPETITION STATS
           Atlético Madrid    Liverpool
      Goals   José Antonio Reyes 1   Steven Gerrard 1
      Reds      
      Yellows   Tomas Ujfalusi 1   Javier Mascherano 2
      ·   Club Squads : Atlético Madrid | Liverpool

Last Five Matches in Competition
      H: Valencia 0-0   H: Benfica 4-1
      A: Valencia 2-2   A: Benfica 2-1
      A: Sporting Lisbon 2-2   H: Lille 3-0
      H: Sporting Lisbon 0-0   A: Lille 1-0
      A: Galatasaray 1-2   A: Unirea Urziceni 1-3
      · Club Results: Atlético Madrid | Liverpool
      Next Five Matches in Competition
      22/4   H: Liverpool    22/4   A: Atlético Madrid
      29/4    A: Liverpool    29/4    H: Atlético Madrid
      · Club Fixtures: Atlético Madrid | Liverpool
      Updated: April 21, 2010, 3:32 PM UK

Forward Ryan Babel returns to Liverpool's squad for their Europa League semi-final first leg against Atletico Madrid on Thursday.
      • Forum: Who will get to the final?

The Holland international has served a one-match suspension for his sending-off in the last-eight first leg against Benfica and provides a welcome boost to an injury-ravaged squad.

Striker Fernando Torres has been ruled out for the rest of the season after a knee operation at the weekend while defenders Fabio Aurelio, Emiliano Insua (both thigh), Martin Skrtel (foot) and Martin Kelly (knee) were all left behind on Merseyside to continue their rehabilitation.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez believes his team can gain strength from adversity as they prepare to take on Atletico.

Flight restrictions because of the volcanic ash problem meant the squad set off for the Spanish capital by train on Tuesday and, after an overnight stop in Paris, arrived in Madrid on Wednesday.

But Benitez hopes the unusual travel arrangements and having spent so much time together will have helped bond the team more closely ahead of their difficult task in the Vicente Calderon.

''You have to try to find the positives when you are in this kind of situation and it is vital that everyone stays together when you have a problem,'' said the manager.

''Of course this isn't ideal and we would have preferred to have flown but, you never know, maybe something like this can work in your favour.

''The players are all happy, staying really positive, even though they might be a little tired, and that for a manager is positive to see.

''It has been a bit different to what we are used to but the main thing is that we have been organised.''

Midfielder Lucas Leiva admits the preparation is not ideal for what he described as his biggest match at the club.

''We cannot complain as this is the only option,'' he said.

''UEFA didn't cancel the game so all we can do is try to bring back a good result for Anfield and give ourselves the best possible opportunity of getting to the final. We are all desperate to do that.

''It will not be easy but we have to be calm and stay focused.

''You just have to try to rest as much as possible to be ready for the massive game we have.

''For me, this is the biggest game since I came here.

''We had great games last season against Chelsea in the Champions League but now we have a chance to win a trophy.''

Atletico Madrid coach Quique Sanchez Flores doubts there is any result his side could get that will allow him to rest easy ahead of the return at Anfield.

Atletico have had plenty of ups and downs this season but they are still in with a chance of winning two trophies, having already reached the final of the Copa del Rey while also making the last four of the Europa League.

Thursday night the Spanish club will hope to take a step closer to what would be their first major European final since 1986, but Sanchez Flores has warned that nothing will be decided until after next week`s return meeting in England.

''I don't see any result possible that will give us piece of mind for the return at Anfield,'' admitted Sanchez Flores.

''Playing at Anfield is always uncomfortable, it doesn't matter what result you get in the first leg. Liverpool are a team that are capable of bouncing back and having great games.

''The important thing for us will be the collective mindset that we have, as this competition always gives very close scorelines in the first leg.

''I don't think that the tie, which is 50-50, will be decided at the Vicente Calderon. What I'm sure about is that we will have to play at a very high level.''

Atletico received a boost this week when it was confirmed that Torres was ruled out of both semi-final legs against his former club due to injury.

The Primera Division outfit are missing one of their key players as well though, with the highly-rated Argentinian forward Sergio Aguero suspended.

When asked about the respective losses for both teams, Sanchez Flores said: ''To start with we regret the absence of Torres because we knew how much he wanted to play at the Vicente Calderon.

''In any case, the loss of Aguero is at least at the same level. These types of players make the difference, especially at home.''
      Source: ESPN
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #169: Apr 22, 2010 01:18:51 pm
      Reyes interview with ESPN: Aguero the bigger loss

Atletico Madrid winger Jose Antonio Reyes believes his side have been hit harder by the loss of Sergio Aguero for Thursday's Europa League clash than opponents Liverpool have with the absence of Fernando Torres.

GettyImages
      Sergio Aguero: Star striker is suspended
      • Torres: I wanted to play Atletico

Torres has been ruled out for the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery in Barcelona, meaning he will miss the chance to return to his former club Atletico for the second time after also being injured for last season's Champions League tie between the two clubs.

The Spain international being ruled out is a boost to Atletico ahead of Thursday's semi-final first leg at the Vicente Calderon, but the Rojiblancos also have a notable absentee with forward Aguero being ruled out through suspension.

Reyes said: "Liverpool have lost Torres for the tie, but we've lost Kun (Aguero) in this first match. Both teams have lost a lot, although I think the absence of Kun is more important because he is key for Atletico. We're going to notice his absence, although I hope not too much."

Regarding Liverpool being without Torres, Reyes added: "I recognise that, for us, it's good news, although also it's bad because we like to see the best players on the pitch. On our part, we wish him a speedy recovery."

Atletico have had an up-and-down season and Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Villarreal was their third loss on the trot and left them down in 10th spot in La Liga - closer to the relegation zone than to the top six.

Despite that though, Quique Sanchez Flores' side might yet end up winning two trophies this season after reaching the final of the Copa del Rey and the last four of the Europa League.

Interestingly, Atletico have got to within touching distance of their first major European final since 1986 despite only winning three of their 14 matches on the continent this season - two of which were against Panathinaikos in the Champions League play-off round back in August.

Since those games against the Greeks, Atletico failed to win any their six Champions League group matches, then in the Europa League they beat Galatasary 3-2 on aggregate - courtesy of a last-minute winner in Turkey - before claiming away-goals successes over Sporting Lisbon and Valencia in the last two rounds.

Nevertheless, Atletico will not mind if they get through to next month's final in Hamburg with another away goals triumph over Liverpool, although Reyes is hoping to build a decent advantage in this week's first leg.

"Thursday's game is everything for us. We want to get a good result at home, we are going to give it everything to get through the tie," said the former Real Madrid and Arsenal winger.

"We still haven't started to watch videos, we will do that throughout the week, but when the game arrives we will be ready. In any case, we already know each other. We faced Liverpool in the Champions League two years ago and also in pre-season.

"We all know what we are playing for on Thursday. We have a tremendous confidence in ourselves in the Europa League and we need to take advantage of this."

Oh no you didn't.
      Actually on further reading he just says Agueros' loss will hurt them more. Damn media
      « Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010 01:24:01 pm by racerx34 »
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #170: Apr 22, 2010 01:37:24 pm

My bad my Friend ;D
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 988 posts | 15 
      Reply #171: Apr 22, 2010 02:17:26 pm
      I'd go with

Reina
      Johnson Kyrgiakos Carragher Agger

Mascherano Aquilani
      Gerrard                              Benayoun (Babel 70')
                  Lucas (Pacheco 75')

Kuyt (N'Gog 75')
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #172: Apr 22, 2010 02:35:00 pm
      Would gladly except a score draw at this stage, after all the travelling chaos,do not want to lose obviously. The Reds would be more than a match for them at Anfield.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #173: Apr 22, 2010 02:35:59 pm
      Got a good blend of youth and experience, Atletico.

I do believe there some weak links however.

I might be wrong but I don't see their wingers, e.g. Simao and Reyes, tracking back should we counter.

Proper looking forward to this.
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #174: Apr 22, 2010 02:37:26 pm
      I think we might see DIrk up top in this one rather than N'gog.

Come on you redmen!
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #175: Apr 22, 2010 02:43:34 pm
      Away goal please.

Even if we lose 2-1, i'm confident for the Anfield leg. If we get a 1-1 draw, i'll be delighted.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #176: Apr 22, 2010 02:49:25 pm
      I think I'd prefer to see that. Perhaps Yossi and Babel on the wings.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #177: Apr 22, 2010 02:50:46 pm
      Although actually we may need Kuyt for his workrate and defensive work against very attack minded wingers.

I wonder if Torres and Maxi are there tonight watching.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #178: Apr 22, 2010 02:58:31 pm
      Don't know about Maxi but Rafa said Torres won't be there at all.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #179: Apr 22, 2010 03:06:18 pm
                          Reina

Johnson    Carra    Greek    Agger

Lucas   Masch

Benayoun      Gerrard      Babel

Kuyt

Maybe with lucas and gerrard sometimes changing
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #180: Apr 22, 2010 03:13:49 pm
      Well if Liverpool and Hamberg win today, I will be £14.09 richer ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #181: Apr 22, 2010 03:48:38 pm
      I dont know if its because of the travelling the boys had to do or cos its a semi final or what but Im extra buzzing for this. Only watching it in the house but Ill be going mad as usual! Dont care about starting 11 just want passion tonight bit of fire in the belly and pride inthe shirt

Come on boys
      catenaccio
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #182: Apr 22, 2010 03:52:50 pm
      Good Luck YNWA boys :D

Hope Liverpool could win and go through final. GO GO GO GO GO!
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #183: Apr 22, 2010 03:54:53 pm
      Is the game on channel 5 and what time?

Quick Reply