Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

Urgent Virus Help

Read 12560 times
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Re: Urgent Virus Help
      Reply #23: Apr 13, 2011 12:18:42 am
      MBAM should rid you of the problem if it's just a simple rootkit and Cnet is a trusted site.  If MBAM doesn't rid it from the offset, could you specify what the operating system is and I could walk you through the steps to remove it manually.
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011 12:23:58 am by vitez »
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #24: Apr 13, 2011 12:23:21 am
      He said they already tried MalwareBytes mate. ;)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #25: Apr 13, 2011 12:29:04 am
      He said they already tried MalwareBytes mate. ;)

True, should have noticed that.  Sounds like a more complex rootkit.

Two questions:
      1) What OS are they using?
      2) Does the person at work use the computer for anything "personal", if not would they object to having their computer scanned by HijackThis (the program is a little invasive, anyone reading the log could tell what browser/search engine/home page/programs they have installed)?  I could read the log and tell you how to remove the problem.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #26: Apr 13, 2011 12:45:10 am
      Dex is on the ball. I use SUPERAntispyware, I've cleared the exact same virus of my mates laptop just last week. No harm in doing a system retore aswell to make sure. Also use the "Run" command and type in %temp% and delete all the files you find. Empty the recycle bin and after all that if that doesn't get rid of it ill run around Dublin in a pink dress.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6973 
      Reply #27: Apr 13, 2011 12:56:57 am
      Anyone got any ideas how to get shut?

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Apr 13, 2011 01:03:20 am
      Bumping this as one of my mates at work seems to have a nasty bit of malware/virus that AVG/MalwareBytes and Spybot won't get rid of.

It basically makes this scanner pop up and lists a load of trojans and stuff that's supposed to be on her comp, yet it's the actual scanner that's the problem. It won't let you work on anything and it tries to get you to enter personal data. It's called "Internet Protection".

Her comp has been booted in safe mode and had some malware entries removed. But when you start it up in normal mode, this annoying scanner pops up again.

Anyone got any ideas how to get shut?

http://www.simplysup.com/

Free 30 day trial, good tool to get rid of trojans.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #29: Apr 13, 2011 10:23:21 pm
      Thanks for the advice lads, you are all proper gents!

Vitez, I may take you up on that. It's definitely a more complex rootkit. I'll let you know how I get on chief.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #30: Apr 13, 2011 10:35:24 pm
      I had a virus recently, did what redkenny mentioned, was called worm.blaster 32 or something like that, did a system restore and it was gone but it only went and came back, just sent my computer into chaos until it wouldn't boot up, just kept on looping around, typical of that type of malware. I was running XP so my dad tried the XP reinstall CD, no luck. So he thought F**k it, and tried a Vista reinstall CD, and it worked, so I'm running Vista now and just rushing through the hundreds of updates that I'm missing. :D Lost all my documents etc, might try getting them back but there was nothing of huge value, fortunately, for years I've used my brick of an ipofod as a hard disk r my music so I didn't lose that.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #31: Apr 13, 2011 11:33:14 pm
      Those scanners are real common now and real hard to remove.   Spybot SD may work, you can also try Advanced System Care.

More than likely you will need a hardcore removal tool.  Try Sophos http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.html

Its a very good Rootkit Removal tool.

If its something that happens alot. When you remove it install Antilogger. http://download.cnet.com/AntiLogger/3000-8022_4-10822444.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;5d

Its an active tool that will stop any infections before they got on your system.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,641 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: May 04, 2011 10:57:15 am
      Got one of those virus pop ups On the work computer. Have downloaded Spybot to try and sort it.
      If that doesn't work I'll try the 2010 Norton that the new laptop came with.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #33: May 04, 2011 02:06:20 pm
      Got one of those virus pop ups On the work computer. Have downloaded Spybot to try and sort it.
      If that doesn't work I'll try the 2010 Norton that the new laptop came with.

Just so you know, as paid subscription anti viruses go, Norton is complete cack. Personally I prefer to use free versions of anti-virus software over the likes of Norton/McAfee.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #34: May 04, 2011 05:03:54 pm
      Found the little b***ard. I ran all kinds of scans that found nothing. The main symptoms were that Firefox was getting redirected to shopping sites and Windows update wouldn't work. Also when I tried to navigate directly to the Microsoft Update site, I got a 'Page cannot be displayed' message.
      I used IE to search Google for 'Microsft update page cannot be displayed' and eventually found the cause of the problem. It's a nasty little f**ker called Rootkit Win32.TDSS.tdl4.
      Fortunately Kaspersky have a piece of software called TDSKILLER that you can download for free and it seems to have killed it for me. I'm now updating Windows and Firefox seems to be working fine again  :)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #35: May 04, 2011 07:44:57 pm
      I don't know if these are considered viruses but does anyone get weird links posted by your friends on your wall in Facebook or receive random emails that don't make sense? Like adverts kinda stuff in them emails and the 'Check out who's stalked you today!' and such on Facebook.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #36: May 04, 2011 07:56:51 pm
      That's just spam Adryan, aren't viruses.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #37: May 04, 2011 09:22:41 pm
      That's just spam Adryan, aren't viruses.

No, but clicking on those kinds of links and installing things on Facebook can add to problems you might be having with spyware. People don't realise just how dangerous those links can be, or how clicking certain ones can add you to all kinds of mailing lists.

It's best to steer clear of anything you find suspicious, or any posts/links on facebook that you can see have been repeated on others pages.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #38: May 09, 2011 05:57:35 pm
      Latest one is windows oversight centre ( a complete fraud ) but looks like windows etc, it's a real pain as it stops you running anti virus spybot programs. Basically I had to rename AVG to GVA so it didn't recognise the little sucker it's now history.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #39: May 10, 2011 11:22:46 am
      Logged into my Hotmail account this morning to find a load of delivery status notification (failure) emails. It appears that emails have been sent from my address book that I haven't sent and when I look in my sent box there is nothing there to say that the messages were sent.

I'm running a scan on my computer but so far have found nothing.

Anyone else have this problem or any idea what's going on?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #40: May 10, 2011 11:27:49 am
      Logged into my Hotmail account this morning to find a load of delivery status notification (failure) emails. It appears that emails have been sent from my address book that I haven't sent and when I look in my sent box there is nothing there to say that the messages were sent.

It wouldn't have been anything on your computer doing that.

It's either the Hotmail servers, or someone has access to your account.

Change your password immediately.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,192 posts | 2760 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #41: May 10, 2011 11:36:21 am

Had the same problem myself a few weeks back. Have you opened a email from a friend about some berrys that make you lose weight?? If so that could well be the problem. It turns out to be a virus that sends emails out without you knowing to friends. It can also slow you pc down.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #42: May 10, 2011 12:57:08 pm
      It wouldn't have been anything on your computer doing that.

It's either the Hotmail servers, or someone has access to your account.

Change your password immediately.
      Had the same problem myself a few weeks back. Have you opened a email from a friend about some berrys that make you lose weight?? If so that could well be the problem. It turns out to be a virus that sends emails out without you knowing to friends. It can also slow you pc down.

Thanks for the help guys.

Couldn't find ant virus or malware on my laptop.

Changed my password. No-one should have access to my account though as this is the only computer I open my hotmail account with and nobody else knows my password.

Is a strange one though. On closer inspection, it appears to have sent emails from my safe list rather then my address book and they all started with "enquires@"

Not had any emails about berries either.

Will wait and see if anything else happens. Hopefully it won't.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #43: May 10, 2011 01:01:29 pm
      Dave, I know people don't like to change their email address/provider because you may have registered  for several sites and services using that address but I really would consider leaving Hotmail. From time to time I get spam emails from friends and they are always, without fail from Hotmail accounts. This is a very common problem.
      If you prefer to use free web-based email services then I'd suggest Yahoo! or Gmail. I personally use Yahoo! Mail and never seem to have any problems with it.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #44: May 10, 2011 01:19:01 pm
      Dave, I know people don't like to change their email address/provider because you may have registered  for several sites and services using that address but I really would consider leaving Hotmail. From time to time I get spam emails from friends and they are always, without fail from Hotmail accounts. This is a very common problem.
      If you prefer to use free web-based email services then I'd suggest Yahoo! or Gmail. I personally use Yahoo! Mail and never seem to have any problems with it.

Cheers for that info Rep, had the account for years and this is the first time anything has happened.

Don't really want to change it though as it would be a real pain. Will stick with it for now but, if I have anymore problems I think I'll get rid of it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #45: Jun 15, 2011 08:45:22 pm
      Right i got a virus detection notice this afternoon and thought i had caught it but the way my pc slowed down and played up it must have slipped through or part of it , anyhow i have done a system restore  deleted chrome because it had attached to that , i have now re installed chrome but have lost all my bookmarks does anyone know if you can retrieve them and how .

Quick Reply