Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 161190 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey Signs In
      Reply #92: Apr 28, 2010 02:09:25 pm
      Welcome jonjo.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #93: Apr 28, 2010 02:11:56 pm
      This is definatly not a signing of a manager with one foot out the door :D

Let's hope so.

Welcome to the club Jonjo, i look forward to seeing you play in the future.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #94: Apr 28, 2010 02:13:53 pm
      Welcome Jonjo, looks the part this lad, great prospect for the future.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #95: Apr 28, 2010 02:40:59 pm

Well that about says enough so.

Arsenal have years of employing the system they use.
      We are in the beginning of something special and hopefully we can add Jonjo to the list of fine young talent now being drawn to our system.

I don't think I came across well, I mean to say that, it doesn't bother me how we go about getting players from the youth system intot he first team, but that we do get them there, and over the past 10 years we have miserably failed, and Rafa and his team have not so far turned this around.

Right let me get one thing clear. I will not be drawn into bias like you and say that this is "part of something special". For F**k sake man wake up!! There is no evidence to suggest that sort of out there claim, all you have to go off is a signing of a player, we have been doing that for years.

Surely you must understand that the whole point of the original youth system going back decades, was not to buy players to put them in the system, but to bring scousers through from the age of 9. Just look back to the 90s and the 'spice boy' era. Fowler, Mcmahnamon, Murphy (ok from Crewe), Owen, Redknapp, Mateo, Gerrard.

These players were not bought for millions, they were produced from scratch, and I'm sorry if I do not start bleating superlatives because we are told this is where we are going to return to. This is not something special yet by a long shot, no matter what sh*te Purslow tries to tell us. This is very much work in progress, and I would ask why? Why only now have we gone down this route, after 10 years of the system failing? Rafa has been here close to 6 years now, why only now? Could it be that UEFA are clamping down on the numbers of foreign players in European competition? I think so.

But yeah forgive me if I do not jump through hoops at us buying Charltons player then loaning out the current kids to them, because to me that is the opposite of a good youth policy. I do not oppose this signing at all, I just do not like the reasons and the way in which it will be conducted.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #96: Apr 28, 2010 02:43:20 pm
      Surely 'Jonjo Shelvey Signs On' would have been a better thread title?  ;)

Welcome aboard the red machine kidda!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #97: Apr 28, 2010 02:48:06 pm
      Good news.  Welcome Jonjo, hope you turn into a very special player for us.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #98: Apr 28, 2010 03:14:04 pm
      Changed to a player thread. Moved to the relevant board.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey Player Thread
      Reply #99: Apr 28, 2010 03:16:23 pm
      Changed to a player thread. Moved to the relevant board.

Now 7KK7 better get working on a thumbnail of his ugly mug.  ;)
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #100: Apr 28, 2010 03:22:19 pm
      Just came back home and saw this. Delighted with that piece of news. He's a brillaint youngster and made it to the first team in my FM game. :P
      Welcome to the club, lad!
      Fowler87
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #101: Apr 28, 2010 03:22:28 pm
      What a sh*t name but welcome to Anfield.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #102: Apr 28, 2010 03:24:31 pm
      What a sh*t name but welcome to Anfield.

Lmao! Does that matter?

But yes, I don't like the name Jonjo either.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #103: Apr 28, 2010 03:28:48 pm
      Welcome Jonjo and may you have a bright career at Liverpool :)
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #104: Apr 28, 2010 05:23:27 pm
      I can't wait to hear what the song for him will be.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #105: Apr 28, 2010 05:31:27 pm
      Dont you like the name? :P I wouldnt like to be called Jonjo myself but I find it pretty cool :D

Welcome to Liverpool young lad, hope you can shine for this club for many years to come
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 2836 
      Reply #106: Apr 28, 2010 05:51:10 pm
      Good news this.

We're signing some top youth players now which is brilliant.

Good luck Jonjo, hope you do well here.
      RedWilly

• 9,200 posts | 1642 
      Reply #107: Apr 28, 2010 07:18:22 pm
      Cool name! Welcome to the club, the lad is highly rated, hope that he makes it, because as has been mentioned, with a name like Jonjo, there is defo a cracking song in that!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #108: Apr 28, 2010 07:19:21 pm
      Welcome to the club. Jonjo!!!!
      Torrard
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts |
      Reply #109: Apr 28, 2010 08:05:07 pm
      From the official site:

Liverpool today announced the signing of rising star Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton Athletic - but what do you know about one of England's finest prospects?

Liverpoolfc.tv enlisted the help of Glenn Southam from independent fansite Charltonlife.com to get the lowdown on our new midfielder.

Jonjo has been described as one of the best young talents in England - is that a fair hype?

The hype Jonjo has had attributed to him is very fair indeed.  His raw talent is there for all to see, even if us Charlton fans have only seen it in glimpses throughout his short career.  Having watched him in the Charlton and England youth setup, he is usually a cut above the rest and has always been 'advanced' beyond his years.

What are his main attributes?

He is tenacious, hard working and very willing to get stuck in.  He has excellent vision and is able to see a pass earlier than most.  He makes many late runs into the box a la Paul Scholes/Tim Cahill, but he also has the ability to shoot from distance. He simply loves playing football and is always going to give 110 per cent whether it is a training match or in front of 50,000 people.  

What type of lad is he?

Shy and unassuming off the pitch, enthusiastic and determined on it.  His head is screwed on and has a great family behind him which was demonstrated when he signed his pro contract with us rather than running off to Chelsea for the big bucks early on. There are times when he can be rash in the tackle but this is purely down to youthful exuberance.

Which current Barclays Premier League midfielder would you most liken him to?

His attacking ability and desire to drive forward suit him more to an attacking midfielder.  Out of current players he is most similar to your own Steven Gerrard - I think Jonjo has even said he models himself on your captain.

Charlton have had some good young talents  in the past, notably Scott Parker - where would you rank Shelvey amongst those types of names? Is he your best ever product?

It is very difficult to answer this question as we simply have not had the chance to see him play in the first team as much. Parker performed consistently at the highest level for us in the Barclays Premier League. We will only know whether he is our best ever product in a few years' time. We have had some great talent come through our system who are still plying their trade at the highest level - Scott Parker, Jermaine Defoe, Lee Bowyer, Paul Konchesky, Michael Turner to name a few. Will Jonjo be even better?  Maybe.  My gut feeling is that he can be better than Parker as he has all the same attributes - but can score more goals.

How disappointed are you to see him leave?

Of course we are disappointed to see him go, but what hurts/angers people more is that we have not seen as much of Jonjo in the red of Charlton as we would have liked. He simply has not played much for us - whether that is for tactical reasons or, in a strange way, he is just too good for Charlton at the moment. Gone are the days when Charlton could stave off the advances of clubs like Liverpool but we wish Jonjo all the best. I just wish we could have seen more of him as he is going to be a special, special talent.

How much will training with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano improve him?

He might teach them a few things!  Seriously though, it can only help his development. He has the natural talent but being around world class players is just going to improve his game. No disrespect to the current Charlton players but they are just not on the same wavelength as Jonjo in terms of vision and ability - I think you'll see him flourish into something special.

What did you make of him the first time you saw him play?

I have seen him play for the Charlton and England youth set-ups and he was superb, but when he made his debut against Coventry as a 16 year old I honestly cannot remember a Charlton player dominating a midfield as much as he did (since Parker did the same against Chelsea on Boxing Day years ago!).  He was superb.

How has he matured?

Jonjo is still a raw talent and this is still evident in a lot of his play but he has become more aware of his role in the team. There's still plenty of room to learn the 'tactical' side of the game and I'm sure he will.  

What do you regard as your best memory of him?

It has to be that Coventry game.  He was everywhere on the pitch and was superb.  It was the moment when I think all Charlton fans thought "We've got a real player here".  

Is he destined to become one of the Barclays Premier League's best?

Probably a bit too early to tell at the moment but he needs to be given the chance and after that his skills will come to the forefront. His passion and determination to be great really stands out - he is not going to be distracted or become a prima donna, he just wants to play. With good development and regular chances there is no reason he cannot be a regular in the PL for years to come.

And a full England international?

As above but why not? He has been involved in the England set up at all age groups. I think the move to Liverpool will see him join up with the U21s in the near future and then we'll see. There are a lot of good midfielders around at the moment and he may have to wait for his chance.

And finally, where do you see him in five years' time?

I think I speak for all Charlton fans when I say we want to see him as successful as he possibly can be at Liverpool. With enough chances and guidance at Anfield I see him as a natural long-term successor to Gerrard in the current set up. There is no reason why he couldn't be gearing up for the 2014 World Cup trying to retain the trophy for England!

Author: Paul Hassall
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #110: Apr 28, 2010 08:20:35 pm
      With this prospect I think Plessis & Spearing need to step up their talent, if not Jonjo will take their place.

How is his surname pronounced? Thanks
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #111: Apr 28, 2010 08:23:06 pm
      Rafa was on LFC.TV, he'd been watching him for over a year and felt the time was right to bring him in, he says other than his obvious qualities one of the main reasons for bringing him in was because he was English as applied with Glen Johnson. :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #112: Apr 28, 2010 08:26:13 pm
      Its seem the wheels are truelly in motion regarding re-building for next season,and for that i cant wait.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #113: Apr 28, 2010 08:42:05 pm
      As I have made clear since reports popped up about this deal, I am a massive admirer of Shelvey. I think he is a quality player with a very very bright future if in the correct environment- and what better environment can you get than Gerrard, Torres, Benitez, Carra, Masch, Pepe etc. I think in many ways, the fee we are paying (which I know may rise) is a steal but is fantastic business on the clubs behalf. Fair play to Charlton for not standing in the lads way.

Welcome to Anfield Jonjo. Hopefully we might see you in the first team next season and not just loaned out. Best of luck mate :).
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #114: Apr 28, 2010 08:56:09 pm
      How is his surname pronounced? Thanks

Shell - Vee

Quick Reply