Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1111725 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Lucas Leiva Player Thread
      Reply #10925: Apr 20, 2014 05:48:34 pm
      I thought he was very poor today, offered absolutely nothing to the game.

In no way is he fit to start against Chelsea to be brutally honest.

Good grief.
       :lmao:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #10926: Apr 20, 2014 06:02:09 pm
      I thought he was very poor today, offered absolutely nothing to the game.

This was in contrast to the energetic Allen, who pressed well, tackled well, and had an all round good display.

In no way is he fit to start against Chelsea to be brutally honest.
      Problem is, how do we line up without him?

Mig

Johnson Sakho Skrtel Flanno

Gerrard
              Allen           Coutinho

Suarez                    Sterling
                     Sturrige

Wouldn't that be leaving the defense a little exposed?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4413 
      Reply #10927: Apr 20, 2014 06:05:42 pm
      Although a bit harsh to describe Lucas as terrible but his lack if legs really showed up in the second half. I was a bit surprised BR replaced Allen with Agger, should have been a Lucas.
      We won so no damage done.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,451 posts | 2846 
      Reply #10928: Apr 20, 2014 06:18:56 pm
      F**k me I forgot just how slow he was!

Decent shift though, made some strong tackles and moved it around nicely.  Today did make me think that we need to add another quality central midfielder to the squad though.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10929: Apr 20, 2014 10:10:03 pm
      Think he gave away a couple of really clumsy fouls that caused us concerns from their free kicks.

Sometimes there's no need for his reckless challenges, just puts under pressure when we weren't under any in the first place. He makes me nervous quite alot of the time especially around the oppo's penalty box.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10930: Apr 20, 2014 10:21:18 pm
      I can't help thinking one or two are being a bit unfair on Lucas, and I say that as someone who's hardly been a cheerleader for him in the past. It's the first full game he's played for months for starters, and not only that but he was asked to play in a position for which he is palpably unsuited. All this "he used to be an attacking midfielder" nonsense is completely irrelevant, he wouldn't get a game as an attacking midfielder for any other team in the Premiership so he's obviously going to struggle when he tries to do it for us. He was brought in to replace Henderson, who in being by far the most energetic player in our whole squad is by definition the direct opposite to the Brazilian.

So how did he do? Well obviously he can't do some of the things which Henderson can, and nor did he try. What he did do was kept it simple, got his foot in from time to time and tried his best to make a fist of a position for which he isn't suited. Yes in the second half Norwich realised that if they stretched their diamond out they would expose him, but we managed to counter that by moving Lucas and changing our shape. Ultimately though he gave a hundred, could have had a goal and didn't in my view let anyone down. We won and we're top of the league, I personally haven't the stomach for digging any of our players out. None of them deserve it today, certainly not Lucas.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #10931: Apr 20, 2014 10:34:21 pm
      Getting on Lucas today for having a poor performance is like locking your dog in the house for the weekend and then getting angry when you come home and find sh*te everywhere.  Lucas did not have a bad performance today.  Lucas had a regular performance.  He is very slow.  And has no agility.  His touch is not great (in fact the very first two touches he had on the ball he gave away).  And lately he has even started to make rash challenges.  Don't remember him doing that but I suppose it's just the normal result of not being able to keep up with the pace of the game.

Anyway, he is indeed a wretched, terrible player, but even if I have to run to his defense because we really had no other options today.  There are no other attackers worth replacing Sturridge in the starting XI, so we had to move Raheem up to partner Suarez.  That left two midfield slots open in the diamond and with Joseph filling one there really is no other option than Lucas to fill the other. 
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #10932: Apr 20, 2014 10:44:48 pm
      Getting on federer today for having a poor performance is like locking your dog in the house for the weekend and then getting angry when you come home and find sh*te everywhere.  federer did not have a bad performance today.  federer had a regular performance.  He is very slow.  And has nothing new or worthwhile too say, but he'll say it anyway.  His football nous is not great (in fact just read his previous posts he had on the any day he is guaranteed to say Lucas, Daime, Borini or be in some way negative).  And lately he has continued to make rash posts.  Can't remember him not doing that but I suppose it's just the normal result of not being able to keep up with any aspect of the game.

Anyway, he is indeed a wretched, terrible poster, but even if I have to run to his defence because we really had no other options today, it's too funny to pass up.

Fixed.  :)

HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #10933: Apr 20, 2014 10:47:26 pm
       :lmao: Brilliant.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #10934: Apr 20, 2014 10:47:34 pm
      Started very good. Pressed high and it really helped our strong start.

Faded as the game went on though.

Clearly isn't himself in terms of fitness or agility. I fear he may never get it back.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #10935: Apr 20, 2014 10:49:27 pm
      Anyway, he is indeed a wretched, terrible player

Just when you think you can't get anymore ridiculous.

Well done Fed.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #10936: Apr 20, 2014 11:20:01 pm
      Just when you think you can't get anymore ridiculous.

Well done Fed.

presumably you didn't watch the game today.  or 90% of the last matches in which Lucas has appeared.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #10937: Apr 20, 2014 11:22:00 pm
      Here is the sad truth:

Lucas is not and likely never will be the same player as before he got injured away at Chelsea in 2012.  Before that he was becoming one of if not the best DM in the league.  He seems like a fantastic lad and so people want him to do well but unfortunately he has never recovered the pace or the agility.  He is now slow as a rock and a huge liability.  I don't quite understand why his touch has also gone, but even that has left him. 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #10938: Apr 20, 2014 11:23:13 pm

yea you're right... Lucas was brilliant today.  Has been every time he's been on the pitch. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #10939: Apr 20, 2014 11:25:44 pm

presumably you didn't watch the game today.  or 90% of the last matches in which Lucas has appeared.

I've watched virtually every game Lucas has played for us.

Still in far too good a mood to get dragged down by your nonsense.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #10940: Apr 20, 2014 11:29:49 pm
      I must have missed some rule that Lucas is infallible like the pope and is not allowed to be criticized.

The first two touches Lucas had today, he gave the ball away.  In Norwich's half.  ffs.  I commented on it and someone jumped on ME.  Like it was somehow MY fault that Lucas gives the ball away like it's going out of style.

But no.  Lucas can do no wrong.  Johnson---we can criticize him.  Mignolet---yea let's go after him.  Agger and Skrtel---oh yea, they are a lot of fun to criticize.  But not Lucas.  Don't you dare say anything about Lucas!  especially if it's TRUE!  that's especially not allowed.

Lucas is so pure and free of blemish that since he has come back, Rodgers didn't even want to risk injuring him---that must be it, because otherwise why would Rodgers keep the brilliant and superlative Lucas sitting the bench for so many games?  it can't be because he's not good enough to be in the starting XI, no no no, because Lucas is AMAZING.

:roll:
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #10941: Apr 20, 2014 11:38:59 pm
      I must have missed some rule that Lucas is infallible like the pope and is not allowed to be criticized.

The first two touches Lucas had today, he gave the ball away.  In Norwich's half.  ffs.  I commented on it and someone jumped on ME.  Like it was somehow MY fault that Lucas gives the ball away like it's going out of style.

But no.  Lucas can do no wrong.  Johnson---we can criticize him.  Mignolet---yea let's go after him.  Agger and Skrtel---oh yea, they are a lot of fun to criticize.  But not Lucas.  Don't you dare say anything about Lucas!  especially if it's TRUE!  that's especially not allowed.

Lucas is so pure and free of blemish that since he has come back, Rodgers didn't even want to risk injuring him---that must be it, because otherwise why would Rodgers keep the brilliant and superlative Lucas sitting the bench for so many games?  it can't be because he's not good enough to be in the starting XI, no no no, because Lucas is AMAZING.

Lucas came back from injury and we were winning. There was no reason to change.
      Blind bashing of Lucas is not really a strong argument.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #10942: Apr 20, 2014 11:42:24 pm
      Lucas came back from injury and we were winning. There was no reason to change.
      Blind bashing of Lucas is not really a strong argument.

We're not "blind bashing" him.  He played poorly today.  It's not even "bashing."  It's just calling it for what it is.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #10943: Apr 20, 2014 11:52:30 pm

Go and have a lie down, Fed.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #10944: Apr 21, 2014 12:24:55 am
      yea you're right... Lucas was brilliant today.  Has been every time he's been on the pitch. 

Not the point I was making, but he was about par with our other midfielders today, maybe Allen just edging it as the better of the trio.  The only thing that's poor, I believe, is you eyesight and judgement.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10945: Apr 21, 2014 12:48:43 am
      Lucas did great in the tackle and winning the ball back in dangerous areas but too often played too many back passes when under no pressure at all.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10946: Apr 21, 2014 03:51:09 am

Must say, I've noticed that too. Rank hypocrisy.

I thought Glen Johnson was absolutely shocking against Norwich and said so in his thread and I also said Mignolet was culpable for probably two goals, definitely the first. But Johnson gave a slack @rsed attempt to block the cross for Norwich's second, Flannagan though allowed their player virtually a free header on goal, but as that cross was lofted in, Mignolet should have come for it IMO.

I said all three in some way were bad yet it's only this thread where the conspiracy of an agenda transpires, odd that.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #10947: Apr 21, 2014 04:21:25 am
      We're not "blind bashing" him.  He played poorly today.  It's not even "bashing."  It's just calling it for what it is.
      I think you made a few conclusions based on 'playing poorly today'. A few patterns were matched by 'playing poorly today'.

Quick Reply