Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1114479 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Lucas Leiva Player Thread
      Reply #11132: Aug 18, 2014 10:48:24 am
      Nothing serious mate, I just thought BR tried to put player(s) on the field hoping they have some good performance that might impress the clubs those interest to buy them (Napoli for Lucas and Sunderland for Borini etc.)
      If so it's a gamble (and I also not take it seriously anyway :)), but if not why started him ?

As strange as it may sound, I don't think he had many choices.

If you look at our bench yesterday we only had Can and Allen as options. If, like me, you believe Can has a slight knock then starting him wouldn't have been an option. So then Allen is the only alternative, as much as Lucas/Gerrard/Henderson may not have worked, we've also seen Gerrard/Allen/Henderson not work at all and many of us called for that trio never to start together. There's also the fact that Allen has more of an impact offensively than Lucas does, for instance if we were losing the game you'd never want to have Lucas as your impact sub so Brendan may have go along the logic of start Lucas, hope for a lead but if things aren't going our way then we have Allen.

Sure we could have started 2 in midfield but that most certainly would have been a recipe for disaster. Without Markovic/Lallana our options were limited to our most defensive minded 4 in midfield and it showed. I've no problem with it personally and don't see Brendan starting with that trio again when he has options but while we have £45m worth of talent injured and £10m carrying a knock at least we had a team capable of beating Southampton at home, a result already better than last year.

With regards Lucas, I thought he did pretty well in the first half but in the 2nd half he had a complete nightmare and was rightly subbed.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #11133: Aug 18, 2014 12:04:26 pm
      As strange as it may sound, I don't think he had many choices.

If you look at our bench yesterday we only had Can and Allen as options. If, like me, you believe Can has a slight knock then starting him wouldn't have been an option. So then Allen is the only alternative, as much as Lucas/Gerrard/Henderson may not have worked, we've also seen Gerrard/Allen/Henderson not work at all and many of us called for that trio never to start together. There's also the fact that Allen has more of an impact offensively than Lucas does, for instance if we were losing the game you'd never want to have Lucas as your impact sub so Brendan may have go along the logic of start Lucas, hope for a lead but if things aren't going our way then we have Allen.

Sure we could have started 2 in midfield but that most certainly would have been a recipe for disaster. Without Markovic/Lallana our options were limited to our most defensive minded 4 in midfield and it showed. I've no problem with it personally and don't see Brendan starting with that trio again when he has options but while we have £45m worth of talent injured and £10m carrying a knock at least we had a team capable of beating Southampton at home, a result already better than last year.

With regards Lucas, I thought he did pretty well in the first half but in the 2nd half he had a complete nightmare and was rightly subbed.
      I understand your points mate and nothing against it.
      I'm one who still valued Lucas as I believed we are still seriously lack of experience in the midfield. Thinking we have four competitions, and as you mentioned above, this just first game of the season and we find difficult to line up the midfield with confidence to dominant the field and win game that's enough to worry.

People want to see Lucas go, I don't think so except we get the better replacement. I read somewhere we follow Alex Song who I think he's more useful than Lucas. Hopefully BR looking to strengthen the midfield and can get his ideal replacement of Lucas if he go.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11134: Aug 18, 2014 12:59:29 pm
      It seems remarkable that it was less than 9 months ago that we were debating Lucas and being told by many that we simply wouldn´t function as a team if he wasn´t in it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #11135: Aug 18, 2014 01:08:54 pm
      It seems remarkable that it was less than 9 months ago that we were debating Lucas and being told by many that we simply wouldn´t function as a team if he wasn´t in it.

It's a fair point Mick.

From my point of view I think Lucas hasn't truly recovered from that injury and while I think he actually played well first half it was similar to last season with him and Gerrard and it simply doesn't work as a two.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11136: Aug 18, 2014 01:25:20 pm
      The simple reason Lucas was played with Gerrard (he wasn't alongside, he was in front in a staggered midfield 3) was so that Southampton couldn't put all their effort into pressing and chasing down Gerrard, and to give him more time to pick his passes.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11137: Aug 18, 2014 06:05:09 pm
      Not a good start to the season for him. Thought he was abysmal, he struggled to make even the simplest of passes, missing tackles, getting tackled and getting dominated physically as well as just standing there and doing nothing (like Johnson) for their goal.

I can't see him Gerrard and Hendo being a successful pairing. Need to close out a game then look to bring him on but I think his days of being a regular are behind him which is a shame because I like Lucas, have a lot of time for him as a player because of how hard he worked to prove himself at the club when even his own fans were slating him. Never really recovered back to how he was after that injury.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11138: Aug 18, 2014 07:56:28 pm
      The simple reason Lucas was played with Gerrard (he wasn't alongside, he was in front in a staggered midfield 3) was so that Southampton couldn't put all their effort into pressing and chasing down Gerrard, and to give him more time to pick his passes.

I don't think so mate. We played 4-2-3-1 with Raheem left, Hendo right, Coutinho as a CAM.

Not sure this link will work exactly, but check their average position: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755306/team-stats/14/OVERALL_01#tabs-wrapper-anchor
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #11139: Aug 18, 2014 08:50:30 pm
      Lucas was not too bad in the first 45, nothing special just ok. The second half it seemed as if he just ran out of steam which is alarming for the first game of the season!

No doubt the combination of Lucas and Stevie just does not work, they both occupy the same area and just seem to get in each other's way which obviously means we are one one person down in the middle and hence getting run over.

We can all see this combination does not work not sure why BR keeps persisting unless it's to keep Lucas in the shop window.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11140: Aug 19, 2014 08:03:27 am
      Sadly not the player he was 3/4 years ago due to injury. Don't see what he does that now makes us a better team. If Napoli want him I think we should listen to the offer. Hes given good service to us but he wont be part of us pushing on hell be part of us remaining static. Sorry to say it

Was thinking the same during the game mate. If he goes to Napoli, I wouldn't mind and at the same time wouldn't mind ( and yes I know it's Southampton again) getting that Wanyame bloke. Thought he was a beast and would fit in our side perfectly.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11141: Aug 19, 2014 02:53:29 pm
      I don't think so mate. We played 4-2-3-1 with Raheem left, Hendo right, Coutinho as a CAM.

Not sure this link will work exactly, but check their average position: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755306/team-stats/14/OVERALL_01#tabs-wrapper-anchor

I stand by it.
      Looking again and I still see a staggered 3, with the fullbacks providing the width.
      When defending, it becomes more like a 451.
      When Lambert came on, it was a 442 diamond.

Not that it matters. If we need someone to drop deep to take the heat off Gerrard, we should be worried.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11142: Sep 01, 2014 10:45:03 pm
      Looks like hell be here (until January anyway) though I think hell struggle to get regular games I cant help but think having him there will be beneficial. Even just having that bit of experience in the dressing room could be vital, especially in Europe
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #11143: Sep 02, 2014 11:28:17 am
      Looks like hell be here (until January anyway) though I think hell struggle to get regular games I cant help but think having him there will be beneficial. Even just having that bit of experience in the dressing room could be vital, especially in Europe

He can still do a job when we are 3 up with 15 to go, bring him on to close the game out and give Stevie a break. Mind you he has to get ahead of Can first.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #11144: Sep 02, 2014 04:51:38 pm
      Happy he has remained here.

His not the lucas of old but he will be called upon at times this season and hopefully he will deliver. His defensive abilities are good, so if he was to play id like him in a pairing of Henderson, where Lucas is the destroyer and Hendo bursting forward or for him to play the lone anchoring role.

Do not want to see him and Gerrard side by side because it just does not work. There isn't enough mobility between the two.

Preferably I'd have Gerrard/Can/Henderson all starting before him in a defensive position if needed, but if he was to play that's my preference for him.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #11145: Sep 02, 2014 06:44:06 pm
      It's better to keep Lucas than give him away in a pointless loan, we need all the veteran players here to help with the transition of the new bunch of player we've got.
      The more options the manager has to fall back on the better, why loan him and not have the experience he offers?
      I can understand if he was sold outright but we aren't a charity for other clubs to harness by renting the services of our core players.
      He's good for stability and well being in the dressing room plus he is a reliable player in games were we need a different tactical set up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #11146: Sep 03, 2014 12:03:10 am
      Great player to have in the squad as he seems to 'get' us and he will help all the new players settle in and he won't cause the boss any problems.

I have a feeling he might be off in January though but until then he'll get games in the League Cup and off the bench.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11147: Sep 04, 2014 07:34:02 pm
      Great player to have in the squad as he seems to 'get' us and he will help all the new players settle in and he won't cause the boss any problems.

I have a feeling he might be off in January though but until then he'll get games in the League Cup and off the bench.

We might see him as a squad player who helps with the coaching of young lads.
      It depends a lot on whether he thinks himself he can still play at the highest level.
      His defensive positioning, knowledge of systems and the English game, combined with Brazilian game knowledge might be useful.
      If he thinks he can get a few more years playing in a slower league, good luck to him, but I'd like to see the club utilise his knowledge and experience.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11148: Sep 23, 2014 10:12:20 pm
      Plays Saturday for me
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11149: Sep 23, 2014 10:53:53 pm
      Good at penalties like.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #11150: Sep 23, 2014 11:27:12 pm
      Looked good to me tonight, more the Lucas of old. Maybe him and  Stevie just shouldn't be on the pitch at the same time if Stevie is going to play that deep lying role.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #11151: Sep 23, 2014 11:48:32 pm
      Came in a did a solid job for me tonight, impressed he got through the 120 minutes with seeing so little action of late.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #11152: Sep 24, 2014 12:25:11 am
      People writing Lucas off are premature I think. He is the only DM at the club. If you play with a DM in the traditional sense then you play Lucas.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #11153: Sep 24, 2014 12:32:45 am
      Just wanted to praise his leadership skills, vocal and encouraging.  Good player, great squad member.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11154: Sep 24, 2014 08:47:46 am
      Here's a thought given his the only natural DM in the squad and were playing in a set up requiring a holding midfielder, why not start this lad?

Quick Reply