Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1110786 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Lucas Leiva Player Thread
      Reply #11753: Nov 20, 2015 02:43:13 am
      Why I consider myself a Scouser, and why Pedro loves the Academy!
      I’ve obviously been here for a long time now and I’d say my bond with the Liverpool supporters is probably as strong as it’s ever been.

Every year you play for the club, that relationship becomes stronger and stronger.

We’ve had a lot of senior players leave in the last few years, so there are not many players that have been here for a long, long time – me and Skrts [Martin Skrtel] are the longest-serving players.

I feel the fans appreciate the players that have been loyal to the club and been here for a long time, playing in the Liverpool jersey for many years.

When I hear the fans singing my name, when they send me nice messages on social media, or when they stop me for a chat, it makes you feel very wanted – all good feelings that can drive you through a difficult moment, especially during games.

The fans' support at Liverpool gives you confidence to keep going and keep doing what you think is right. Mistakes will always happen, but if you have the support from the fans it is a massive bonus for us.

Of course, we all know I had a difficult start here but my time here has been very good and I wouldn’t change anything.

So much so, my son, Pedro, is currently at Liverpool’s Academy and he’s enjoying it a lot. He goes once or twice a week and it’s great to see him developing.

He loves football, which is normal for a lad of his age, and when he goes to the Academy, the people there really look after him and that’s what you want – for him to play football because he loves it, with no pressure, and then the future will decide.

Pedro becoming a footballer isn’t something I have in my mind at the moment though, however. When you put pressure on, too much, too early, you can lose that love and passion for football.

I experienced something like that when I was younger and for a few months I didn’t want to play football anymore. We know football starts at a very young age now and the pressure can keep on building up, and sometimes you’re not prepared for that.

For now, Pedro just needs to enjoy playing the game and then in the future, if he wants to try to make it in the game and has a chance to do it, then why not?

I don’t think a father or mother would want to decide what their child wants to do – you just want to see them happy. If he is happy playing football, then why not? And if not, he can go and do something else.

So after all this time here, I think of myself as a Scouser now. Of course I do.

I consider myself one of them. It’s been almost 10 years for me here and my two kids were born in Liverpool. I feel as though I’ve been adopted very well by the people here.

I have a lot of passion for this club and I try to show that every time I step out onto the pitch.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/198133-why-i-consider-myself-a-scouser-and-why-pedro-loves-the-academy

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11754: Nov 22, 2015 10:58:12 am
      Excellent again yesterday and will be missed against Swansea.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #11755: Nov 22, 2015 11:48:05 am
      Quality lad.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #11756: Nov 22, 2015 12:46:25 pm
      another player who was shown the exit door. He was brilliant again yesterday very quietly doing his job he must be a dream to manage because he obviously listens to the manager and does exactly what he is told to do.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #11757: Nov 22, 2015 11:55:32 pm
      He had a brilliant touch in the build up to the third goal, it bounced off of Aguero in their box and Sterling was about to pick it up but Lucas dove in and just knicked it away from him, that set us going on the counter-attack.  If he hadn't gotten it away from Sterling that counter never would've got going.

Fair play to Lucas, he's making me eat my words, been absolutely brilliant lately.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #11758: Nov 23, 2015 12:11:24 am
      Fair play to Lucas , It's hard to believe he's the same man that was nearly out the door under Rodgers and now look at him with a brilliant manager to work with . We'll miss him for the Swansea game that's for sure .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #11759: Nov 23, 2015 12:49:57 pm
      Feel safe with him when he's in our team. We will miss his calming presence for next weekend. Need someone to step up to put out the fires in his absence.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #11760: Nov 23, 2015 02:16:32 pm
      So glad he's playing so well because he's one of my favorite players to see on the pitch. He's just the perfect professional, seems like a really down to earth guy and a great teammate and I'm glad it's working out for him now and he's able to get a nice long run of games.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11761: Nov 23, 2015 03:16:47 pm
      His contract expires end of next season, I think we should offer him a new one in January. A 4 year deal to take him to 32/33 :)
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #11762: Nov 23, 2015 06:55:11 pm
      If Lucas could run like Henderson, he'd be the best DM bar none.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #11763: Nov 23, 2015 07:50:37 pm
      Needs a new deal. We've had 5 managers in the last 5 years, and yet Lucas has endured. He represents stability in spite of all the other change at the club. He's a mentor for the younger lads you look up to and leads by example on the pitch. Sign him up Jürgen :)
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #11764: Nov 24, 2015 05:16:38 am
      If Lucas could run like Henderson, he'd be the best DM bar none.

Agree mate.

But do people notice that when Lucas run to celebrate teammate's goal his speed is second to none :)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,697 posts | 3936 
      Reply #11765: Nov 24, 2015 08:15:16 am
      His contract expires end of next season, I think we should offer him a new one in January. A 4 year deal to take him to 32/33 :)

100% deserves it
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #11766: Nov 24, 2015 01:47:33 pm
      He can have this weekend off after his latest booking. ~I know we are biased but he must get more bookings for the least aggressive tackles than anyone in the league. I am sure the Refs see him playing and makes a note "must book Lucas"
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #11767: Nov 24, 2015 02:00:44 pm
      He can have this weekend off after his latest booking. ~I know we are biased but he must get more bookings for the least aggressive tackles than anyone in the league. I am sure the Refs see him playing and makes a note "must book Lucas"

He has to be one of the best in the league for "professional fouls". His yellow on Saturday sums it up perfectly, if he lets Aguero go they are on the break. A little tug stops Aguero and stops the game to allow us to regroup, when play restarts City are left with no options. He is fantastic at it!

It will be interesting to see Jürgen's approach to these situations. End of next season gives him plenty of time to line up a replacement. I wonder if we'll see a ruthless streak to Klopp in moments like these?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11768: Nov 24, 2015 02:06:03 pm
      It will be interesting to see Jürgen's approach to these situations. End of next season gives him plenty of time to line up a replacement. I wonder if we'll see a ruthless streak to Klopp in moments like these?

It might be handy if instead of just replacing Lucas we brought in some top quality player to compete with Lucas for the DM position.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11769: Nov 24, 2015 02:20:36 pm
      It might be handy if instead of just replacing Lucas we brought in some top quality player to compete with Lucas for the DM position.

I'd say that's the best way to go about it. Somebody like Neves would be good, he's really young so has a lot of time to develop so by the time  Lucas does stop, Neves will be in his early 20s.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11770: Nov 24, 2015 02:35:21 pm
      Lucas Leiva is now a key figure in Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool midfield

Jamie Carragher has highlighted the statistics that show why Lucas Leiva is a key figure for Jürgen Klopp’s Liverpool.

"He is the holding midfield player and the first reaction of the holding midfield player would normally be looking over his shoulder thinking, 'Where's the No 10?'"

Lucas was prepared to push forward for Liverpool against Man City

"With Jürgen Klopp it seems that if you can close someone down then don't worry what's behind you, just go. Lucas's first thought was to go after Yaya Toure and, listen, it worked. He went off at half-time and they ran all over him."

"Normally you would hold and say, 'Come to me'. But the idea with Klopp is to press and to be aggressive. It is so difficult to deal with that pressure and you're going to have to do so well to play around Liverpool."

Lucas ranks among the top tacklers in Europe's major leagues this season

"He's played two less games too so that shows how vital he is and how much Klopp coming in has maybe improved those stats because he's constantly going into challenges, pressing people and doing things that you wouldn't expect from a normal holding midfield player.

"This is a player who at the start of the season wasn't in the [match-day squad of] 18 but if you look at his role now for Liverpool in terms of how many tackles he wins, he's always at the top of that list."

"That's the risk of pressing all over the pitch and especially in midfield, It's a risky strategy. They were fortunate that City never made more of it. This is what teams are going to be looking at now with Liverpool. How can they beat this press?

"I think it is something that opposition teams will be looking at and thinking that if they play quick they might be able to expose that. But I tell you what, the way Liverpool press, you're going to have to play really well to get through them."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10076797/lucas-leiva-is-now-a-key-figure-in-Jürgen-klopp8217s-liverpool-midfield
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11771: Nov 24, 2015 02:42:08 pm
      I'd say that's the best way to go about it. Somebody like Neves would be good, he's really young so has a lot of time to develop so by the time  Lucas does stop, Neves will be in his early 20s.

I agree with this. I'm hearing so much that Neves is more of a DLPM rather than a DM? Atm, we have work horse and DM midfielders only, so I feel instead of replacing Lucas like for like, I think we should look at an alternative (Pjanic, Neves or another DLPM) so we will have a different option in the middle if needed.

I honestly feel Lucas can play well for another 3-4 seasons. He's adapted so well since his last major injury, and is a player like Alonso that doesn't require pace.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #11772: Nov 24, 2015 02:48:21 pm

Lucas ranks among the top tacklers in Europe's major leagues this season

Jesus, look at Kante's numbers: 52 tackles in 9 starts. Probably a huge reason why Leicester are at the top of the table.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #11773: Nov 24, 2015 02:56:08 pm
      lets hope we dont try and use allen V swansea in the lucas role as we will get caught out on the break loads. Drop Milner back in there and make him the more deeper lying Mid push Can into the milner role and use ibe in the wide lallana role.

migs
      clyne skrtel lovren moreno
                  milner
         can      lallana   ibe

firmino
                  benteke
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #11774: Nov 24, 2015 02:56:20 pm
      I think looking back we win more games with Lucas than without him. He is not high  profile infact sometimes you forget he is on the pitch but then you will see a toe appear from nowhere and an attack thwarted and that is Lucas. Its great that players who struggled or where looking to be exported are now appearing to be full of confidence and are an asset to the team.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11775: Nov 24, 2015 08:22:08 pm
      Probably a huge reason why Leicester are at the top of the table.

Along with Vardy scoring for fun

Quick Reply