Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1111628 times
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Re: Lucas Leiva (Attacking Midfielder)
      Reply #92: Jan 26, 2008 09:07:25 pm
      Aye it was fairly impressive man!
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #93: Jan 26, 2008 10:29:54 pm
      The timing of his goal couldn't have been better.I was watching the game with a friend of mine today (Man Utd fan  :f_steam:) and we were discussing about Anderson's start in England compared to Lucas'.I said something about Anderson not having scored this season and he said the same about Lucas,which is when he curled that ball into the top corner  :laugh:

Beautiful Goal!
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #94: Jan 26, 2008 11:11:56 pm
      His passes to Babel were sublime.

Tooo much of the media is focusing on this Cinderella bollox instead of picking the finer points out of the performance, esp the contributions of Babel and Lucas.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #95: Jan 27, 2008 02:02:10 am
      Lucas Leiva has played far less games than Anderson has, but that didn't stop him being the first out of the two teenagers to get their first goal for their club!

Lucas Leiva definitley looks like world class potential, I've always had my hopes up about this player and you can see why. He's got a bit of everything in him, class touch, crisp passing short or long, thinks ahead and can hit them too!

I've said before that I'd give this player first team action alongside Mascherano in the centre, and I'd move Gerrard over to his best posistion which is the right side of midfield!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #96: Jan 27, 2008 11:26:11 am
      I'd move Gerrard over to his best posistion which is the right side of midfield!

Gerrard is his own worst enemy, he thinks he is better in the middle than on the "grave yard shift" out on the wing... wrong - he is much better (in fact one of the world's best, if not the best) at steaming in from wing - playing libero.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #97: Jan 27, 2008 11:32:28 am
      Gerrard is his own worst enemy, he thinks he is better in the middle than on the "grave yard shift" out on the wing... wrong - he is much better (in fact one of the world's best, if not the best) at steaming in from wing - playing libero.

Exactly, he won UEFA right sided midfielder of the year ahead of Messi & Ronaldo that season he played on the right for us. That was the season he ended up with 20 + goals and we won FA Cup and finished on 82 points. We must move him back onto the right because Rafa knows thats his best posistion. If anything I think we look weaker when he's in the centre of midfield, his posistion awareness is not as natural as those like Mascherano & Lucas etc
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #98: Jan 27, 2008 11:38:46 am
      Rafa knows thats his best posistion.

The problem is that Gerrard would sulk (...and he does!) and the media would quickly get back on Rafa's case... and he needs either like a pain in rear at the minute.

One of the reasons I would want Carra as Capt is that he, and probably only he, could tell Gerrard what's good for him... but more importantly what is best for LIVERPOOL FC (not what is best, or assumed to be best, for the Señor Gerrard).

Gerrard isn't suited to the middle, because his style of tacking (note - which we see less of all the time now...) gets severely punished by refs these days... so back on the wing for me, with very public support for Rafa when/if it happens to shut the Fleet Street vultures up (for a while at least!).

liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #99: Jan 27, 2008 12:20:11 pm
      i personally dont think it makes a difference and we probably did see better performances from gerrard on the right but what lucas has done is bring around the sale of sissoko...we have 5 players capable of filling the C.M role and looking at the bigger picture you would say that it was sissoko who would be surplus to requirements
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #100: Jan 27, 2008 01:17:03 pm
      Fantastic goal he scored yesterday. The curl on it was great, good to see him get off the mark that should give him a big boost of confidence.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #101: Jan 27, 2008 01:55:32 pm
      Fantastic goal he scored yesterday. The curl on it was great, good to see him get off the mark that should give him a big boost of confidence.

Some of his passing to Babel was quite good.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #102: Jan 27, 2008 02:26:10 pm
      Sublime or quite good?

huge gulf between the two.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #103: Jan 27, 2008 04:37:51 pm
      Lucas passing to Babel was nothing short of brilliant. And there was one pass he made from deep inside his ownhalf all the way to the left side of attack and it was pin point straight to Babel. Xabi Alonso would of been jealous of that pass.

I think Lucas, and this is my opinion, I think Lucas will very soon turn out to be a better player than Xabi Alonso. Lucas has a little bit of Alonso in him, his goal yesterday was an example!

One thing that'll do Lucas well in the future is that he's got a brilliant football brain, just like the typical Brazilian!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #104: Jan 27, 2008 04:46:49 pm
      Lucas passing to Babel was nothing short of brilliant. And there was one pass he made from deep inside his ownhalf all the way to the left side of attack and it was pin point straight to Babel. Xabi Alonso would of been jealous of that pass.

I think Lucas, and this is my opinion, I think Lucas will very soon turn out to be a better player than Xabi Alonso. Lucas has a little bit of Alonso in him, his goal yesterday was an example!

One thing that'll do Lucas well in the future is that he's got a brilliant football brain, just like the typical Brazilian!

very true. His vision is excellent and he is just getting used to the english game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #105: Jan 28, 2008 04:54:46 am
      Goal was absolute top drawer, a pearler! Gerrard is LFC's own worst enemy. The team performs better when he is on the right and we saw it when he played RM for us for a season. It restricts our options in the middle. Lucas will have the position in a few years.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #106: Jan 28, 2008 07:29:41 am
       Lucas Leiva looks set to follow in the  footsteps of great midfielders at Anfield.We can expect him to get a bag of goale when he gets a good run in the team.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #107: Jan 28, 2008 12:31:35 pm
      Lucas: Rafa's half-time blast drove us to victory
      Jan 28 2008

LUCAS LEIVA today revealed how some harsh words from Rafa Benitez inspired Liverpool's much improved second half showing against Havant & Waterlooville on Saturday.

After a shocking first half performance which saw the Reds go behind to their non-league opponents twice, Benitez read his players the riot act during the interval.

And Lucas believes it was the kick up the backside they needed as Liverpool went on to win 5-2 and earn themselves a place in today's FA Cup fifth round draw.

He said: "In the first half we played not so well but in the second half we played much better and we won so now we must prepare for the next game.

"We knew that we had to win the game because we are in the top division and they are five divisions below us but they worked really hard.

"We tried to play well but we made two mistakes in the first half and conceded two goals.

"Rafa said a lot of hard things to us at half-time and told us that we had to improve because we had conceded goals too easily and I think we did improve."

Lucas grabbed the first goal of his Liverpool career during that disappointing first half and the midfielder spoke of his pride at becoming the first Brazilian ever to score for the Reds.

And he is hoping his promising performance against Havant will increase his first team opportunities in the weeks and months to come.

"I'm really happy because I have been trying to get my first goal," he said.

"It's funny because on Friday I was having shots in training and I scored some goals and some of the players were telling me I would score the next day, and I did.

"It was a beautiful moment for me and I would like to dedicate the goal to my family because they are always right behind me.

"It was a special moment for me because I became the first Brazilian to score for Liverpool so I'm really, really happy.

"I'm not playing all that much but I am trying and hopefully I will get more opportunities."

Liverpool were today finding out who their opponents will be in the next round of the cup and Lucas is already dreaming of walking out at Wembley and maybe even getting his hands on the FA Cup – even though he knows full well how difficult it is to win the competition.

He said: "The FA Cup is really famous in Brazil and we need to try and win it because it is a very important competition.

"I watched Liverpool play in the FA Cup on TV when I was in Brazil and it always seemed like a great occasion so if we could win the cup now it would be really special.

"I've never played at Wembley so hopefully we will get there this season but we know that every game we play in the FA Cup will be difficult."

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #108: Jan 28, 2008 11:03:14 pm
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #109: Jan 28, 2008 11:30:25 pm
      Ok this guy plays one game against a F***ing  amateur side and some clowns on here are proclaiming he is better than Gerrard. Donrafeal I dont think there is any sense in calling Gerrard our own worst enemy ffs. Ok fair enough he is not in form the last few weeks, but lets not take away from him the fact that as "bad" as he was in the centre of the midfield he was voted in the European team of the year, as captain also.

Let's not forget that LFC is not about Benitez nor Gerrard but Gerrard shook the Kop along time before we ever even heard of Benitez. I would really like to see Lucas repeat his fete in a few premier league games, before we can come up with bold statements that he is a better CM then Gerrard.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #110: Jan 29, 2008 01:51:01 am
      Not saying that he is bad player Dadorious. Saying the team is stronger when he plays on the right as it makes our center pairing stronger along with our wing play. Lucas has the skill shown by his passing and scoring, not many keepers nor defenders would take that away from him. No one said he is better than Gerrard either, but saying he is the kid to takeover when Gerrard steps aside.

Easy mate.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #111: Jan 29, 2008 11:39:41 am
      Im sorry i know that was only Havant and Waterlooville but no goalkeeper would have saved that it was the right distance away from the goalkeeper. He obviously isnt better than Gerrard but i think what people are saying relates to Henry at arsenal. If you had said that to an arsenal fan last season they would have most likely attacked you but say it this season and they agree.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #112: Jan 30, 2008 11:40:11 pm
      Got into some good posistions today, he seems to be moving up the ranks at Liverpool. I think we'll unleash some great young players next season, Lucas being one of them!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #113: Jan 31, 2008 12:08:27 am
      He really looks like he can become an amazing player. has such great vision.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #114: Jan 31, 2008 12:32:30 am
      That ball to Torres with the outside of his foot was sublime! He certainly does look like he'll become an amazing player for us!

Quick Reply