Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1111737 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Lucas Leiva Player Thread
      Reply #11040: May 07, 2014 05:30:26 pm
      The only reason he stays in our squad next season is some sort of back up for Gerrard.
      I don't see that being a backup for just Gerrard is good enough reason to keep him. He has to be able to fill in for Henderson or Allen aswell,  he's proved he can't compete for the spot so he's not good enough to cover either.  We need new cover.  Get rid. He's 27 and this is meant to be his peak.....
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11041: May 07, 2014 05:36:53 pm
      Gerrard is not playing the same role as Lucas played Lucas was a destroyer a spoiler a shield for the two CB'c and he played that role very well indeed.But that has gone now and he has played in several different roles. Its a bit off the wall but I wouldn't mind seeing how he did alongside Sakho or Martin similar to Masch at Barca I think the need for two big CB's is not essential anymore.If we cant find his "best" position we may as well let him go.

His best position is as DM.

As I stated repeatedly, Gerrard does not play the same role, and does not provide the same protection for the back 4.

To put it another way, where Gerrard was sat outside the box on Monday, Lucas would have been further back. That's one of the essential differences between a DM and a deep lying playmaker. I know that's hard for some to grasp, but that's how it is.

I said we would concede more with Gerrard playing with no protection alongside him (for the CB's, not so much for Gerrard), and we have.

I also said it would come back to bite us in the arse, and I take absolutely no pleasure in being right.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11042: May 07, 2014 06:42:13 pm
      His best position is as DM.

As I stated repeatedly, Gerrard does not play the same role, and does not provide the same protection for the back 4.

To put it another way, where Gerrard was sat outside the box on Monday, Lucas would have been further back. That's one of the essential differences between a DM and a deep lying playmaker. I know that's hard for some to grasp, but that's how it is.

I said we would concede more with Gerrard playing with no protection alongside him (for the CB's, not so much for Gerrard), and we have.

I also said it would come back to bite us in the arse, and I take absolutely no pleasure in being right.
      Lucas was injured most of the season. Since he's been playing in our team again we've got 1 point from 4. Hendersons done much better in our midfield. Midfielders should be versatile. .. according to half the people on here he can only perform in a small specific area.  What a load of rubbish. True legends can adapt.  Suarez, Gerrard. .. etc... moved to suit the team and Lucas?  He must play in this deep lying playmaking area that Gerrard is now in. So I suppose Gerrard was playing where Lucas used to play. .. the difference between a DM and a deep lying playmaker is the qualities that the player have. . They both sit in a deep midfield spot.  In my opinion Gerrard has created far more than Lucas would have and Lucas had struggled to defend too. He's made unnecessary fouls and is been too slow moving which is strange considering the small area he's been covering. If Lucas played in that role all season I have no doubt that our conceded goals would be the same but goals scored would be less.... it's funny you say that you take no pleasure in being right because you're quite off the mark there. You're basically saying we'd be better if we had Lucas there all season  :lmao:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11043: May 07, 2014 07:46:42 pm
      Lucas was injured most of the season. Since he's been playing in our team again we've got 1 point from 4. Hendersons done much better in our midfield. Midfielders should be versatile. .. according to half the people on here he can only perform in a small specific area.  What a load of rubbish. True legends can adapt.  Suarez, Gerrard. .. etc... moved to suit the team and Lucas?  He must play in this deep lying playmaking area that Gerrard is now in. So I suppose Gerrard was playing where Lucas used to play. .. the difference between a DM and a deep lying playmaker is the qualities that the player have. . They both sit in a deep midfield spot.  In my opinion Gerrard has created far more than Lucas would have and Lucas had struggled to defend too. He's made unnecessary fouls and is been too slow moving which is strange considering the small area he's been covering. If Lucas played in that role all season I have no doubt that our conceded goals would be the same but goals scored would be less.... it's funny you say that you take no pleasure in being right because you're quite off the mark there. You're basically saying we'd be better if we had Lucas there all season  :lmao:

I haven't seen a point missed so spectacularly since, well, since the last post you made.
      You really are making a career of it on here.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,304 posts | 4949 
      Reply #11044: May 07, 2014 08:12:10 pm
      I don't see that being a backup for just Gerrard is good enough reason to keep him. He has to be able to fill in for Henderson or Allen aswell,  he's proved he can't compete for the spot so he's not good enough to cover either.  We need new cover.  Get rid. He's 27 and this is meant to be his peak.....

So Lucas has to be able to fill in for three players in three different roles in the side?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11045: May 07, 2014 08:17:29 pm
      Gutted for Lucas in missing out, but since that major injury he had last season, he hasn't been the same in my opinion. Nevertheless, a good player and I think we should keep him as cover for Gerrard. I still believe he's capable of playing at a high level in the DM role.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11046: May 08, 2014 02:16:53 am
      HEY.  Stop being negative.

Or are you just pointing out the truth?

:-*
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #11047: May 08, 2014 02:27:09 am
      I find it incredible the way as soon as a player isn't getting game time there's calls (however minimal) to see them sold. I saw it with Allen early in the season when he was barely playing, some were saying we should probably move him on in the summer. Why do some fans not realise the need for more than 11 players at a club? It really is laughable.

Is Lucas good enough for the first team? No. Can he play in any other role than the DM? No. Can he play DM to a reasonable level to at least be considered as a rotation option for Stevie next season? Absolutely. He was (and we were) doing fine in that role early on in the season.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11048: May 08, 2014 11:04:22 am
      So Lucas has to be able to fill in for three players in three different roles in the side?
      We certainly need a midfielder that can be a handy utility player.  Gerrard used to be able to do it but he ain't got the legs for it now.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11049: May 08, 2014 11:09:56 am
      I haven't seen a point missed so spectacularly since, well, since the last post you made.
      You really are making a career of it on here.
      No, I didn't miss the point.  Unless you expressed your point badly then it's a possibility but to me it was clear that you thought Lucas and Gerrard played in a different place on the pitch... maybe if you got a tape measure and measured by millimetres he'd be standing on a different strand of grass but to me the real difference in style is the football they play. You also strongly insinuated if Lucas had been there instead of Gerrard all season we'd have conceded less right? Kind of contradiction on yourself since you said they play in a different place. Despite not having any evidence you claim to be unhappy because you declared you've proven yourself right? To me it couldn't be clearer. After I rumbled you, you then realized yourself that your post was rediculous and I've somehow missed the point?  :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,614 posts | 7142 
      Reply #11050: May 08, 2014 12:09:07 pm
      If we had a squad with more quality in it I am sure Lucas would be a gone. But what would be the point in replacing him with someone similar unless we bring in players that are so much better whats the point
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11051: May 08, 2014 12:17:38 pm
      As long as his wages aren't to big I'd keep him in the squad but we really need more options and quality in midfield and defence to compete again next season and I think we'll get it, which is why last night I made a bet with a Gooner friend of mine, £50 on Liverpool being top 4 again next season and £50 on Manure not being. Like taking candy off a baby. :-)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11052: May 08, 2014 01:03:10 pm
      You have to feel sorry for Lucas. I was never his biggest fan when we signed him but that wasn't really his fault. He arrived from Gremio as an attacking midfielder, Rafa converted him into a defensive midfielder. People have talked about Mourinho coaching the instinct out of players and that is what Rafa did to Lucas and Kuyt.

When he actually started excelling in his new role, Kenny was sacked and in came a manager that dropped Gerrard deeper ( something i commend Brendan for ). All of a sudden there was no room for Lucas. He is now being asked to adapt himself into the player he originally was, to do that it is a complete reversal of what happened to him under Rafa.

If Lucas can do this then i feel we will effectively get a new signing. You have to admire Lucas for sacrificing himself for the good of the team, just like Kuyt did. Two honest and hard working professional men.

There is still room for Lucas in this Squad and i for one would love to see him revert to type, because we have never seen the real Lucas Leiva, the one at Gremio. Hopefully in time we will.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,614 posts | 7142 
      Reply #11053: May 08, 2014 01:19:20 pm
      I wonder how he is fitness wise after his injuries he seems not to be able to accelerate much.
      He is technically much better than just being a spoiler and maybe we need to see him playing more in our away games were we need to tighten up more.I hope he stays and finds his form we need quality players in the squad
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11054: May 08, 2014 03:33:10 pm
      Lucas wouldn't have got near our team if Henderson weren't suspended.  We're looking to strengthen all areas in the summer.  He's probably played his last game for us. I can't see him being a player that's good enough.  He's not an Alonso or a Macsherano.. we need that kind of player brought in. We need competition for places not a superior first choice and an inferior replacement.  We're going to be in Europe... any under performing player will be gone in the summer.  You can almost garentee the manager will look to lose the players that haven't performed well this season. Being in Europe isn't the time to build your team... you need to have a team.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #11055: May 11, 2014 11:14:45 pm
      Sorry to bang the drum about him again, but he was once again awful today. Were we not 2-1 up, his faults would have been more glaring.

He gave away silly tackles and got turned inside out once again on many occasions.

He's a liability, even against poor performing teams like Newcastle.

It's high time we sold him I'm afraid.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11056: May 12, 2014 03:22:51 pm
      The link at the bottom shows a tweet of Lucas' from yesterday where at the end he says "Yesterday I finished my 7th season with Liverpool. I want to thank the ones who supported me all this years." #thankyou #goodbye

Hoping it doesn't mean that he's leaving. Still have faith that he can get back close to his best in the near future.

https://lockerdome.com/footballnews1/6170047139808833/6610381447645202

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #11057: May 12, 2014 03:23:38 pm
      The link at the bottom shows a tweet of Lucas' from yesterday where at the end he says "Yesterday I finished my 7th season with Liverpool. I want to thank the ones who supported me all this years." #thankyou #goodbye

Hoping it doesn't mean that he's leaving. Still have faith that he can get back close to his best in the near future.

https://lockerdome.com/footballnews1/6170047139808833/6610381447645202

He later tweeted that he just meant goodbye for this season, not that he was leaving.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11058: May 12, 2014 03:29:15 pm
      He later tweeted that he just meant goodbye for this season, not that he was leaving.

My bad. I don't really use Twitter so that later tweet wasn't brought to my attention. Glad to know though.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11059: May 12, 2014 03:44:56 pm
      Still think Lucas will be on his way out once we reinforce our midfield.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #11060: Jun 05, 2014 01:55:57 pm
      So this is what Lucas does in his spare time....

6th picture, Willy Wonka ;D

http://instagram.com/leivalucas
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #11061: Jun 05, 2014 05:41:50 pm
      So this is what Lucas does in his spare time....

6th picture, Willy Wonka ;D

http://instagram.com/leivalucas
      Looks more like the mad hatter  :angel: ;D
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 

Quick Reply