Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Liverpool FC owners seek naming partner for potential new stadium

Read 61480 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Liverpool FC owners seek naming partner for potential new stadium
      Reply #207: Mar 30, 2011 02:09:44 pm
      Saw that on twitter just there Robbo, still think there is no way John Henry and co would risk the wrath of the fans for £5 million a year.

That is small change and wouldn't buy you a good 16 year old these days
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #208: Mar 30, 2011 02:11:27 pm
      Saw that on twitter just there Robbo, still think there is no way John Henry and co would risk the wrath of the fans for £5 million a year.

That is small change and wouldn't buy you a good 16 year old these days

I know mate. I just don't get it. I think they might just be testing the water at the minute. Seeing if anyone puts a daft offer in.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #209: Mar 30, 2011 02:12:49 pm
      I'd say your right robbo, only a ridiculous offer will be considered, they didn't rename Fenway
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #210: Mar 30, 2011 02:24:35 pm
      St James' Park is called sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park Stadium

But even in programmes they dont refer it to that.

Personally, if we could get 10 million for Anfield on contract to have a different name i think thats money for nothing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #211: Mar 30, 2011 02:29:09 pm
      F**k that I wouldn't use Newcastle as an example, Ashley would sell his own mother if he could get takers
      MsGerrard
      Reply #212: Mar 30, 2011 02:37:09 pm
      No, no, no, no and no  >:(

Surely to god they are joking.

It will always be Anfield to me whatever they decide to call it, but I seriously hope they don't change it.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #213: Mar 30, 2011 02:40:46 pm
      F**k that I wouldn't use Newcastle as an example, Ashley would sell his own mother if he could get takers

I know yes but its a good example, the Geordies, like us, are madly passionate about there club and the ground....  Being 'The oldest in the North East' an everythin!
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #214: Mar 30, 2011 02:41:58 pm
      Unless this new name comes with a new 65,000 seater stadium then I don't really see the point. If we got the new stadium then fine, the Emirates has sunk in over time because it is such a good ground - even though Highbury had the history.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #215: Mar 30, 2011 02:46:05 pm
      F**k off. If they do this, big strike in the 'Cons' column of their ownership.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #216: Mar 30, 2011 02:47:05 pm
      F**k that sh*te!!!

Thats the way it should always be! Dont sell out!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8582 
      Reply #217: Mar 30, 2011 02:50:55 pm
      Rename it all they want, it will still be referred to the world over as Anfield.

So will it be the Standard Chartered Stadium sponsored by Carlsberg in association with selling your F***ing soul!!

Money rules as ever.

I can hear Shankly turning in his grave from here.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #218: Mar 30, 2011 03:15:13 pm
      Don't see this happening.

The conduct in which NESV have gone about things so far suggests to me they wouldn't seriously consider this knowing the backlash they would recieve from fans.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #219: Mar 30, 2011 04:15:53 pm
      Given the fact that the financial fair play rules mean you can only spend your income does this fall into that category?

Manchester City consult Arsenal as they target biggest stadium naming rights deal in football
      Big spenders looking to raise £150m through Eastlands sponsor

Manchester City are targeting the biggest stadium naming rights deal in world football after opening talks with potential sponsors.

'City officials are hopeful of sealing a £150 million deal lasting between 10 and 15 years.

As a starting point in their negotiations, they have picked the brains of Arsenal and their stadium sponsors Emirates, who signed a £100m agreement with the Londoners that began when the 60,000-capacity venue opened in 2006 and runs until 2021.'

Lets say Mr Ayres wheels and deals a £150m 10 year deal, that would give us £15m a year extra on transfers.

I'd rather it didn't happen but in this day and age I think it's inevitable. You can just hear the commentator on sky now "It's Liverpool V Manchester United at the Standard Chartered Stadium and it's LIVE!"

Doesn't sound right but as I say I think it's inevitable I'm afraid.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #220: Mar 30, 2011 04:23:02 pm
      Don't want this to happen. It makes mi sick just by reading it. Anfield is an institution, it's Anfield, as simple as that.
      Hate that money make the world go round  >:(
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #221: Mar 30, 2011 04:30:26 pm
      I just read that Ayre insists its only if we move to a new stadium, and that he said Anfield will not be rebranded - anyone else seen that? It wasn't actual quotes so im not sure :-\
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #222: Mar 30, 2011 04:35:55 pm
      To be clear LFC's MD Ian Ayre stresses club are not looking for naming rights for Anfield - only a possibility for new stadium
      From Dan Roan's twitter.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #223: Mar 30, 2011 04:37:52 pm
      F**k that if a mickey mouse club like City could get £150 million, we would have to be thinking of £200 million at least
      LFCexiled
      Reply #224: Mar 30, 2011 04:41:40 pm
      Liverpool actively seeking stadium naming rights deal, but insist Anfield will not rebranded
      Liverpool's newly-appointed managing director Ian Ayre has revealed the club are actively seeking stadium naming rights partners should they move to a new stadium.

By Rory Smith 4:23PM BST 30 Mar 2011

The club's owners, Fenway Sports Group, have made clear that boosting Liverpool's gate receipts through an increased capacity is central to their plans to restore the side to former glories. They have yet to make any official decision on whether that will be achieved through building a new stadium or redeveloping their current home.

Speaking at the SoccerEx forum in Manchester today, Ayre said the club are seeking naming rights partners should they move to a new stadium. However, the club are keen to stress that their current home would not be renamed should they stay put.

Arsenal earned £100 million for a 15-year naming rights deal with the airline Emirates, though that also included an eight-year shirt sponsorship clause.

Liverpool see the sphere as one the club needs to exploit if they are to make ground on Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea in terms of off-pitch income.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8416267/Liverpool-actively-seeking-stadium-naming-rights-deal-but-insist-Anfield-will-not-rebranded.html
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #225: Mar 30, 2011 06:47:48 pm
      Liverpool looking for stadium naming partner - Ian Ayre
      Liverpool have ruled out renaming Anfield but have revealed they are trying to find a "naming partner" in the event they move to a new stadium.

The club's owners, Fenway Sports Group, are eager to increase capacity.

But they have not yet decided whether redeveloping the Reds' present home or building a new venue is the way to go.

"We are actively seeking a naming partner if we move to a new stadium but will definitely not consider renaming Anfield," said Reds chief Ian Ayre.

Liverpool's managing director was speaking to BBC Sport's Dan Roan in his first television interview since being appointed to the position last week.

He added: "I'm enjoying it. It's a great football club and there are a lot of positive things going on - a great new ownership structure and the team seems to be on the up.

"I've always felt it's the biggest and best football club in the world and there are good times ahead."

Ayre was promoted from commercial director, a position he held under previous owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

The duo's reign became increasingly bitter and acrimonious because of the levels of debt they placed on the club and they were forced to sell for £300m in October 2010.

Ayre said the fact that the club had emerged from such a difficult period proved how strong it is.

"Even in the darkest hours we had around ownership and debt our business continued to grow," he commented.

"That shows Liverpool is bigger than any one person and it's a global football brand, which makes it slightly different from other clubs.

"It can survive those things and always will. That shows the strength of the team involved on the football and non-football sides. Now we're in a very positive phase."

Liverpool were one of the Premier League's biggest spenders during the January transfer window, splashing out in the region of £58m on Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez.

Ayre said: "We all feel very positive about the business we did in January. We find ourselves with a better squad as a result, although there's still a lot to do.

"We are also confident we acted within our means during that process. It was great to see Andy [Carroll] get one on the board for England [in the 1-1 draw with Ghana on Tuesday] and hopefully it won't be too long before he does for Liverpool."

He said there was no news on whether caretaker manager Kenny Dalglish would be given a permanent deal or not.

"We'll all work to get to an outcome on that as quickly as possible," he said. "When we've got something to say our fans will be the first to hear about it."
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9441341.stm
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #226: Mar 30, 2011 09:31:44 pm
      Good news so :)
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #227: Mar 30, 2011 10:06:48 pm
      Change the title !!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #228: Mar 30, 2011 11:06:19 pm
      Not really worried what they call the new stadium,  but Anfield must remain Anfield!
      It would be like changing the club name to Walkers crisps fc!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #229: Mar 30, 2011 11:13:28 pm
      Great news.

If we do change the stadium name, the 'This is Anfield' sign wouldn't be suitable anymore.

In my opinion, we are what we are mainly because of Anfield. It holds so many memories. Teams get the chills whenever they hear the word 'Anfield'.

Quick Reply