Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Carragher in International U-Turn shocker

Read 7735 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Carragher in International U-Turn shocker
      May 08, 2010 01:13:40 am
      Jamie Carragher finally answers England's World Cup call
      Jamie Carragher is set to make an extraordinary England comeback at the World Cup finals after telling Fabio Capello he is ready to return from self-imposed international exile.

Carragher will be named on Tuesday in Capello’s preliminary 30-man squad for the World Cup, having been talked out of retirement in a series of secret discussions with Franco Baldini, the England general manager and Capello’s right-hand man.

Carragher, 32, had rejected several approaches from Capello and his predecessor, Steve McClaren, since announcing his retirement from international football in July 2007, but, against all expectations, the Liverpool defender has finally been persuaded to return to the squad.

The news comes as a shock, given Carragher’s previous intransigence and some of the outspoken comments he made about England in his autobiography in 2008, but Capello and Baldini made a concerted bid to entice the Liverpool vice-captain back into the fold amid concerns about their defensive options for the tournament.

Carragher’s versatility means he would travel in the final 23-man squad as understudy to Glen Johnson at right back and as cover in central defence. With Capello determined to take Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King, despite their injury problems, as well as John Terry, it leaves players such as Wes Brown, Phil Jagielka, Matthew Upson and Joleon Lescott in danger of missing out on the finals.

In another dramatic development, Owen Hargreaves has re-emerged as an outside bet for the preliminary squad after an injury to Gareth Barry, the Manchester City midfield player. Barry is in serious danger of missing the World Cup after being told that his ankle injury could take anything between three and eight weeks to heal, leaving Capello to consider a call-up for one of Hargreaves, who has just returned to action for Manchester United after 19 months out with a serious knee injury, Tom Huddlestone, of Tottenham Hotspur, or Scott Parker, of West Ham United.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article7120052.ece

Hats off Jamie lad. You deserve a final crack at it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Carragher in International U-Turn shocker
      Reply #1: May 08, 2010 01:15:57 am
      Nice one Carra! Always supported his decision to retire, but if he feels he is ready for one last crack then by all means I'll support that to.

We all dream of a team of Carraghers!
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #2: May 08, 2010 01:16:56 am
      He certainly deserves it. I do hope he can add a World Cup winners medal to his collection.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #3: May 08, 2010 01:17:52 am
      Bit of a shock that but well in nonetheless Carra!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #4: May 08, 2010 01:23:16 am
      He deserves a crack at World Cup success ,good on him !
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: May 08, 2010 01:23:45 am
      Am I the only one that thinks this decision has been nudged on a bit by a probable lack of chances for the reds next season though? He did primarily pack the international stage in because he wanted to play longer for his club, so there wasn't much point in him hanging around so much in the summer on a bench.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: May 08, 2010 01:26:52 am
      Hats off, Jamie.

You've always deserved a place in the England team. I respected your decision to retire from international football and will support your decision to go back.

We'll have three Reds representing England ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: May 08, 2010 01:27:05 am
      Im surprised hes changed his mind. Had him down as the type who makes a choice and sticks with it. Add to the fact that South Africa is a long way to go to sit on the bench plus his form has dipped way below what it was when he packed in England coz he couldnt get a game its a huge surprise to me 
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #8: May 08, 2010 01:30:03 am
      No direct quotes in the Times piece, but Talksport were reporting that Fabio Capello  had asked Jamie to come back. Given that he is supposed to be commentating  for them this summer there may be something to it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: May 08, 2010 01:56:51 am
      I must admit to being surprised at Jamie's U turn, but who can blame him really?

One final shot at England glory then Jamie lad, good luck to you mate.

His experience at European level with Liverpool will stand him in good stead.

I sincerely hope he does well.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #10: May 08, 2010 02:00:43 am
      As said in the article stands a good chance as well with Ferdinand and King. (If they get picked)
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #11: May 08, 2010 02:12:22 am
      Well in son. Good to see him get a final crack at the international game.

I never really understood but fully backed his discission to retire, least we now have a non-injury prone CB, and a possible vice captain whos not a c**t.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #12: May 08, 2010 02:22:53 am
      Am I the only one that thinks this decision has been nudged on a bit by a probable lack of chances for the reds next season though? He did primarily pack the international stage in because he wanted to play longer for his club, so there wasn't much point in him hanging around so much in the summer on a bench.

Agree.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #13: May 08, 2010 02:48:07 am
      Also hope its true but doubt it as carra has always come across as a man of pricipals and not one to change his mind.
      If he went he must, given all the injuries be a certain starter.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #14: May 08, 2010 02:56:13 am
      F**k me! I might actually cheer for England now :D

Well in Jamie lad.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #15: May 08, 2010 03:15:47 am
      Carra rightly resigned from  the international sqaud after sitting on the bench and being continually overlooked. F.F.S. When players he was supposed to be covering were injured, he was still left out, and  other players were called up and put ahead of him. And fair play for basically saying, " you're not F***ing me about any longer you tw*ts" Now with Capello calling him up, he probably see's a manager with a much higher integrity that the previous prats, so thought it worthwhile turning out for a genuinely straight and honest guy.  Maclaren was a muppet of a manager anyway. Success in Holland is not on the same planet as internationals. He was a n*b then and he's still a n*b now.
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #16: May 08, 2010 03:20:02 am
      haha good on you lad, why not Carra your a true leader in men and any team without you in ther team is a weaker one in my eyes.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17: May 08, 2010 03:31:21 am
      I love the man, I'll support any decision he makes. If he wants to represent his country, then good luck Jamie.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #18: May 08, 2010 03:40:11 am
      The worlds best Defender is back for England? They might actually have a chance now. Excellent news this. Really makes my day.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #19: May 08, 2010 04:22:16 am
      Hats of to you Jamie ! Go for it Carra ! I hope it's all good for him he hasn't played international football for a while but I'm sure he'll do great ...also great to see another Liverpool player in the England team.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2010 04:33:48 am by niksluvslfc »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #20: May 08, 2010 04:29:03 am
      Nice one Jamie, I'm sure given a chance, you'll do England proud.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: May 08, 2010 04:31:41 am
      Nice one Jamie! England finally a chance to win the WC and he comes back. If England win with Jamie in the side he'll be cheering! :D

Hope he gets his shot. Miles better than that tw*t Rio.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #22: May 08, 2010 09:24:41 am
      Surprised at this.

Quick Reply