Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Steven Gerrard (host of clubs)

Read 19195 times
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 269 posts |
      Steven Gerrard (host of clubs)
      May 10, 2010 05:42:56 am
      http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Steven-Gerrard-ready-to-quit-Liverpool-with-Manchester-City-plotting-record-40million-move-for-the-England-star-article420943.html

I sprang across this story and it scared me. Simply because everyone knows that man city have all the resources available to make any player a serious target. They clearly want to buy big names in the summer, I just hope this story is one of the many rumors the press spill out every day.

Speaking rhetorically (for now) if Man city genuinally offered £40million on the table, how many of you would accept it? Do you reckon the board and rafa would accept it? Would there be any bargaining, for example money plus tevez etc, and if then would you accept??

Personally, I think if any of our stars, especially stevie, wants to stay then every offer should be firmly rejected. Whether the dissillosionment has become too much for him remains to be seen, I just hope he remains true to his promise that he wants to stay to the end of his career. Having said this he's a footballer at the end of the day, that's his career and proffession. He has only 2-3 seasons at his best as he is 30 towards the end of this month. In his eyes, like all top players, his sole goal is to win trophies while he still can. If he believes now that after the season we have had that liverpool can not fulfill his ambition, then maybe he might consider moving on. The question I put to you is, what do think about this?
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2010 12:55:08 pm by JD »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Gerrard (Man City)
      Reply #1: May 10, 2010 05:51:37 am
      If he wants to go - then yes, as long as its all reinvested. If his hearts not in it, then we can't expect him to stay and we should take all we can.

However, if he wants to stay and get back to his best with us then no. If he has the desire to stick with us and try and help us get back to where we want to be with his final years, then a big NO.

If he went to money-bags City though, with them also only in Europa next year, i would be disappointed in him.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 269 posts |
      Reply #2: May 10, 2010 05:55:09 am

If he went to money-bags City though, with them also only in Europa next year, I would be disappointed in him.

As would we all, but from his and any players perspective city are in a much better position to bring him glory and honours in the next 2 or 3 years. While liverpool, let us be honest, look like at best only cementing our place back in the top four in the next 2 or 3 years.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #3: May 10, 2010 06:55:26 am
      Is honour dead in modern football ? Is the notion of playin your whole career at the one club just a romantic fantasy ? Sure Stevie G could earn a few more pennies at the likes of Citeh . But surely Gerrard has more money than the Pope allready , so money shouldn't be the defining factor for him . I have always admired Stevie G and i would love to see him remain a one club player .
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #4: May 10, 2010 09:57:25 am
      Gerrard will not go to Man City. End of.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #5: May 10, 2010 11:31:59 am
      Gerrard will not go to Man City. End of.
      This.
      y2kyle16
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 666 posts | -7 
      Reply #6: May 10, 2010 11:36:51 am
      a good source - who also mentioned the john terry and ashley cole scandals has said that the story about gerrard sleeping with a 16 year old will come out and old alex curran has said that they have to move abroad if they are to save their marriage, i hope its bollocks though
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: May 10, 2010 11:51:55 am
      a good source - who also mentioned the john terry and ashley cole scandals has said that the story about gerrard sleeping with a 16 year old will come out and old alex curran has said that they have to move abroad if they are to save their marriage, i hope its bollocks though

Thats been done to death mate and in the first instance it was a 15 year old girl and she was pregnant, just a bollocks rumour that is now been changed as the daft f**ker who started it thought Gerrard would be allowed a free pass to Madrid to get away from it now realising the police would have a greater interest in him going to jail than Madrid.

As for Gerrard if a bid of 40 million was forthcoming I think it would have to be seriously considered given our financial plight but only if the money was to be re-invested back into the squad, 40 million would buy you David Silva and Javi Martinez, 2 quality players for the price of one, one central midfielder, one left winger/attacking midfielder, both class and Gerrards not getting any younger.

Although I wouldn't be unhappy if he stayed and finished his career here.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #8: May 10, 2010 02:04:52 pm

Same old, next week it will be Mascherano to Barca

We got a whole summer of this so brace yourself
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: May 10, 2010 02:31:32 pm

Same old, next week it will be Mascherano to Barca

We got a whole summer of this so brace yourself

Nuff' said really.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #10: May 10, 2010 04:13:03 pm
      Can I interest you, Mancini in a warm cup of F**k THE HELL OFF!?
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #11: May 10, 2010 04:57:51 pm
      In a whole Steve been Pi*h this season. We have never seen his Crunching Tackels what we have seen Last season maybe he sticking England and there attempd to win the World Cup. ( What i think will never happen ) for 40m I would take the money but not to Manchester City i would wait till Inter or Real come in.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,682 posts | 3903 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: May 10, 2010 10:05:33 pm
      Imagine the irony if Barry was to convince Stevie to join them while they were away at an international tournament
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #13: May 10, 2010 10:12:24 pm
      I really really really don't want this to happen because he is our captain and apart from this season he has been our best player for the last 15 years.

But if it was a genuine offer and City did offer £40m for an ageing midfielder and we were guaranteed the whole kitty then I think we would have to seriously consider the offer on the table.

£40m would get you 2 high quality nternational players which include the likes of David Silva, Javi Martinez, Mata, Higuain and Tevez.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #14: May 10, 2010 10:21:39 pm
      If Gerrard doesn't want to stay then at £40m I'd snap City's hand off.

I don't think he wants to leave though, this is just the start of a thousand other transfer stories that are going to happen over the next few months. I'm not looking forward to it at all.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: May 11, 2010 12:09:39 am
      Unless he flat out stated he wanted to leave and 40m was the best offer we could get, I'd tell City to piss off and to enjoy not making the Champions League again next season!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #16: May 11, 2010 12:11:10 am
      Steven George Gerrard will not play for Manchester City.

Fact.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #17: May 11, 2010 12:20:20 am
      if he goes, it would not make sense...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: May 11, 2010 12:25:52 am
      I really really really don't want this to happen because he is our captain and apart from this season he has been our best player for the last 15 years.

But if it was a genuine offer and City did offer £40m for an ageing midfielder and we were guaranteed the whole kitty then I think we would have to seriously consider the offer on the table.

£40m would get you 2 high quality nternational players which include the likes of David Silva, Javi Martinez, Mata, Higuain and Tevez.

I'm sorry to say but you wouldn't get Silva and Higuain for 40m. That would just about get you Higuain on his own.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #19: May 11, 2010 12:31:04 am
      give us tevez and wright philips for gerrard..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #20: May 11, 2010 12:39:57 am
      Once again gutter press its bad being in the position we find ourselves in with dumb and dumber but rags always like to exploit situations like ours just for pure sensationalism.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: May 11, 2010 01:08:10 am
      If we got an offer of £40mill then would be best to accept it but i very much doubt he would go to City, especially seeing as he turned down Chelsea a few times even when an offer had been accepted and they were already becoming a successful team yet City still can't make the Champions League. I know we didn't either but we have for the last how ever many years and they have spent so much more than us.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #22: May 11, 2010 01:10:39 am
      Spain or italy would be the likely destinations if he were to leave.

Cant see him turn out for another pl team not when he is almost 30.

Quick Reply