Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

On the Benitez golden age at Anfield

Read 933 times
      RedLFCBlood
      May 18, 2010 04:53:42 pm

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=On%20the%20Benitez%20golden%20age%20at%20Anfield&id=446

I`m sure that some of you will have come across this excellent article published in the Irish Independent this Sunday – In six months, the Benitez era will seem like a golden age . If you haven`t, it is recommended reading for all Liverpool fans. It articulates very well the current and potential future situation at Anfield, however, I`d like to give my view on a couple of points raised that I don`t quite agree with.

For example, I don`t believe that Martin O`neill is the right manager for Liverpool, because of the players he signs and his style of football that typically lacks a plan B. For me, the best man to make the most of a difficult situation, someone who is used to working with limited funds, is Rafa Benitez. If Rafa goes, then how about Roy Hodgson to stabalize the situation or, perhaps, a young coach like Quique Sanchez Flores?

I also disagree with the suggestion that Manchester City, without Champions League qualification, may be the best option for Torres. He is seriously considering his future and Chelsea would be an interesting option, now that Barcelona have got David Villa wrapped up. But, aside from City, no other club has shown anything like the profound interest that Liverpool showed him when he left Atletico. Anything is possible.

We`ve been receiving tens of thousands of emails in support of Rafa Benitez as part of a well intentioned fans campaign to let the media know how they feel (apologies to anyone who has tried to get in touch with this site regarding another matter – the volume of emails in support of Rafa has brought down the email system on the website and also means we cannot accept comments on the site until we`ve tidied up our intray).

Benitez is aware of the campaign, although his critics have suggested he may even have had something to do with it. Whatever the case, the messages of support have reached the manager and, as the excellent Irish Independent article suggests, he is torn over his future.

In many ways, professionally, it makes sense to leave Anfield – just as the Independent article explains, on a financial footing, Liverpool are falling behind the country`s top clubs, and it might be impossible to introduce four new top players into the squad to freshen things up, as Rafa would like. Yet despite the pressure from Juventus and his agent to move on, personal matters make his decision very difficult: his family are settled in Merseyside, probably the very first time they have put roots in a place since Rafa and his wife Montse met.   
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Re: On the Benitez golden age at Anfield
      Reply #1: May 18, 2010 05:04:56 pm
      personal matters make his decision very difficult: his family are settled in Merseyside, probably the very first time they have put roots in a place since Rafa and his wife Montse met.   
      They forgot the part when he said he loves the club, fans & the city.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: On the Benitez golden age at Anfield
      Reply #2: May 18, 2010 05:06:27 pm
      Well Rafa knows about the E-Mail campaign and Montse and Rafa have put down roots for the first time since they've met, all they need to do know is stay at Liverpool forever adopt Kuyt and Lucas and they are sorted. ;D

Quick Reply