Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W9 D6 L6

Carra demands commitment from squad

Read 2651 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Carra demands commitment from squad
      May 20, 2010 12:34:17 am
      Jamie Carragher has told his unsettled team-mates that if their commitment to Liverpool is in doubt, they should not bother returning to the club for pre-season training.

The centre back is thought to have been referring to Javier Mascherano, who has expressed an interest in joining Barcelona, but his words of warning are equally pertinent to Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, whose futures at Anfield are also uncertain.

In his first interview since returning from international retirement, Carragher spoke passionately yesterday about his pride over the prospect of representing England at the World Cup finals, but his love for Liverpool is even more enduring.

Carragher, 32, has taken heart from Rafael Benítez’s announcement yesterday that he wants to stay as Liverpool manager and would welcome a similar expression of commitment from some team-mates. There is little prospect of Gerrard leaving, despite renewed interest from Real Madrid, but with Chelsea, Manchester City and Barcelona preparing to bid for Torres, the same cannot be said of the Spain striker.

Liverpool finished seventh in the Barclays Premier League and Carragher said yesterday: “As soon as the game at Hull finished I wished the start of next season was the next day. The best thing is to forget it and get on with it. I know what it’s like on the back of a poor season and just want us to get back.

“The people who want to be there will come back. If people don’t, then no problem. There will always be a Liverpool Football Club. People always talk about players leaving, about ‘Is this the end of Liverpool?’ but no chance.

“Better players than the ones we have now have left and we have replaced them. Anyone who doesn’t want to be there, no problem, but we’ll start next season with the players who want to do well.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7131260.ece

Well said Carra.

I have always said that if any player doesn't want to be here should go. We need all players to be 100% committed to the club and putting all their efforts into winning trophies and not wishing they were somewhere else.

If any player wants to go hand in a transfer request, if not then get back for pre season ready to help the club acheive something next year.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Carra demands commitment from squad
      Reply #1: May 20, 2010 12:40:10 am
      Well said.

We all dream of a team of Carraghers.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: May 20, 2010 12:46:24 am
      Very well said. Agree wholeheartedly. Liking his commitment as well and I'm hoping more players will come out of the woodwork and give us some more good news. In particular, Torres.   

Number one is Carragher!!
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #3: May 20, 2010 12:49:11 am
      Should be made captain.
      winnie
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      Reply #4: May 20, 2010 12:55:59 am
      Congrats Carra!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #5: May 20, 2010 12:59:41 am
      I was a bit critical of Carra's decision to come out of international retirement as I thought he might have lost a bit of focus on his club football but he says he is only back for the World Cup and due to the amount of injuries in the squad.I can't really blame him on wanting one last chance of playing in the World Cup and was probably a bit harsh with my initial reaction.

His comments in this article have reassured me that he is totally committed to the club and will be doing his best to make sure this season was a one off and not a sign of things to come. He may not have had his best season but at least he is showing the desire needed at the club going into next season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #6: May 20, 2010 01:06:11 am
      Funny.

I thought Carragher retired from international football in 2007 to show his commitment to prolonging his career at Anfield.

Anyway...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #7: May 20, 2010 01:08:46 am
      Funny.

I thought Carragher retired from international football in 2007 to show his commitment to prolonging his career at Anfield.

Exactly why I was critical over his change of heart JD but if he is true to his word and it is only for this tournament then it shouldn't get in the way of his commitments to the club.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #8: May 20, 2010 01:10:25 am
      Funny.

Anyway...
      Adept post JD,I sense a new contract extension looming.Carra for politics soon maybe.He should have been Liverpool captain ahead of Gerrard,but the next one will be Pepe.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #9: May 20, 2010 01:55:37 am
      I do wish sometimes he would focus on his defending rather then constantly showing the world that he is a hard lad who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Anyways the majority of the media contingent took Carra's words and twisted them into sh*t like "Carragher issues warming to Torres" "Carragher asks Torres to commit or go"

It really is sickening.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #10: May 20, 2010 02:59:32 am
      I do wish sometimes he would focus on his defending rather then constantly showing the world that he is a hard lad who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Anyways the majority of the media contingent took Carra's words and twisted them into sh*t like "Carragher issues warming to Torres" "Carragher asks Torres to commit or go"

It really is sickening.
      Agree with this,and the last two lines of the article (dunno if he really said that),are unhappy imo.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #11: May 20, 2010 07:36:15 am
      Absolute F***ing legend! I bet he sings you'll never walk alone in his sleep!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #12: May 20, 2010 08:19:57 am
      So we're to assume that the quotes from Carra that if he wasn't first choice he'd be happy to F**k of elsewhere were false?
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #13: May 20, 2010 09:25:49 am
      Good one Carra.

Sick and tired of glory-hunting champions-League-hungry players who are not committed to the club. GTFO
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #14: May 20, 2010 09:59:52 am
      This is why you either get the f*ck in.....or get the f*ck out. YNWA! Carra is a legend!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: May 20, 2010 11:23:38 am
      Now if he could only demand that those who couldn't trap a F***ing sandbag stay away too.....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,808 posts | 6754 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16: May 20, 2010 11:27:07 am
      Tell 'em how it is Carra.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: May 20, 2010 12:36:00 pm
      Well, whatever opinions are of whether he's talking too much or being hypocritical or anything else, no one can argue that he's wrong.

Too many players went missing last season, including Carra himself. It's ultimately the right signal to send out to all Liverpool players this summer.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #18: May 20, 2010 12:58:58 pm
      IMHO, I just think this type of comment at our current situation is not a quite positive.
      I'm sorry but I think I never see anywhere for Gerrard (this year)/Torres they say "I will
      leave Liverpool".
      Just see "some clubs want to sign Gerrard/Torres".
      So, I think we have nothing to say to Gerrard/Torres, at least now.

But for Mascherano is different, I never believe him since last summer.
      So, for Masch anything we say to him is no effect. He's just be what he being.
      This year I never see Barca say the want to sign Masch (Please tell me if any).
      Just heard Masch said he disappointed cannot joint Barca last season.
      Also just say again his family not happy at Liverpool and Barcelona is a city he love to live in.
      So he not just want to leave this summer, but he want to leave for a long time ago.

My very sad is at a time  heard Rafa Let Xabi go and try to keep Masch I think he's wrong.
      He should try his best to keep Xabi and let Masch go.
      If thing go that way, I so believe our 09/10 season maybe not as bad as we see.
      But sorry again, it's just past already.
      I just feel sad. :-\

It's only my opinion and sorry for my poor English.

redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #19: May 20, 2010 01:03:36 pm
      Funny.

Anyway...

I don't think we could blame him as this tournament is only 1 month long and would be Carra's one last hurrah at international level. He himself has also stated that he'll also like to see how Capello manages the team given how he feels he's one of the best managers in world football over the last 10 to 15 years.

No doubt when he's back from the WC though he'll be dusting himself for a new season. A new season to push the boundaries, to shed blood for the club and to continue fighting wholeheartedly for the pride of the club. It's something I'll never doubt in Carra, that commitment and dedication for the Red shirt.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: May 20, 2010 01:06:43 pm
      Finally, something worth reading. Well said, Carra.

There are tons of other players who want to don the Red shirt of Liverpool.

It's just that there are so many things linking our players and managers elsewhere because of our poor season and clubs are trying to offer our players an "escape route". We hardly heard anything about news linking players away after our 2009/2009 season. And come on, it became pretty low that even Yossi Benayoun is linked to Chelsea. I know he did not feature in the last game and there were rumours he's about to be sold but to Chelsea ...

Rumours are always rumours until it actually happens. Many players are misquoted (some on purpose) to stir up some news. News about players leaving is just as unreliable as news of players coming so we should not be so gullible and believe everything until it has actually taken place.

Fernando Torres has always said he loved the club, the fans and everything about Liverpool. Whether he still feels the same, we do not know but if he does feel the same, he won't walk out without putting up a fight. This applies to to every player.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5012 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: May 20, 2010 01:21:34 pm
      Funny.

Anyway...
      That was a true statement from the horse's mouth JD, But things have slightly changed since then....1, Super Steve Mclaren is gone, 2, No Champions league next season for Carra, 3, Ste has been bumming up Cappello in the dressing room,4,I reckon this is Carra's last season(especially) in a red liverpool shirt and wants to go out with some great memories, 5, More importantly, Cappello asked him to return because that f***in camel ferdinand is fu**ed and he does'nt trust sick note Ledley to be fit for any more than 2 matches, And he knows Carra is versatile and can play anywhere along the back line and will always give 100% in whichever position, Now i ask, Who else can fulfill that role and who else can guarantee that committment? The man is a legend, they broke the mould when they discovered Carra, And all professionals should take a leaf out of his book.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,054 posts | 3353 
      Reply #22: May 20, 2010 01:27:05 pm
      Totally agree an understand where Carra is coming from. Hopefully it convinces a few more to get committed to the cause or they do take Carra's advice and F**k off.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #23: May 20, 2010 09:22:01 pm
      I'm glad to see someone say this at long last. Anyone who wants to go...bye bye! don't let us keep you and mind yourself crossing the road...

There was a Liverpool Football Club in the world long before there was a Torres, Mascherano or Gerrard; if its the case any or all of the three feel they need to go then that's their decision, they should do what they have to.

Personally I'd like to keep all three of the big players mentioned and won't be too happy if they do go BUT onwards and upwards. People seem to have written us out of the top 4, neigh, FIVE in England already, forgetting City cannot sign the top brass they had in mind and Spurs will absolutely bottle it in those qualifiers just like the Blue noses in 2005/2006. We'll be back as good as ever next season so whoever wants to jump ship when the going gets slightly rough...Good riddance! you won't be missed.

YNWA
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #24: May 20, 2010 09:55:01 pm
      Couldn't agree more with Carra. We need players who are going to play with whole hearted passion and commitment, who are going to stick with us through thick and thin. Anybody who is not willing to give 150% at the very least should go somewhere else where that is acceptable. It is true, there is nobody bigger than Liverpool Football Club and no football club bigger than Liverpool.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25: May 20, 2010 10:20:54 pm
      Well said Jamie. He knows what it means to wear the red shirt. You're not just playing for another club, you are playing for the premier club in the country and continent. If everyone had Jamie's attitude we would have had at least 15 more points this season.
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #26: May 21, 2010 12:23:09 pm
      He's not actually the most committed players last season.

Specially when he threatens to quit if not given new contract.

Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #27: May 21, 2010 12:55:36 pm
      He's not actually the most committed players last season.

Specially when he threatens to quit if not given new contract.

The Lad has one a poor season and your on his back, perhaps you can stop reading what ever crappy sources you glean your alleged knowledge from. and stop posting throw away comments about a true professional

This is a direct quote form Carra in direct response to the article that had misquoted him

I've spoke to the manager about it and we both agreed that it would be better if we talked about it at the start of next season," Carragher told LFC Weekly.

"There was an interview with a national newspaper and the headline was a bit misleading, saying that I would be prepared to leave Liverpool.

"Really, I said that if Liverpool didn't want me, I'd be forced to sign for someone else because I'd have no other option.

"I don't want to retire yet. I understand at my age, you can only make decisions season by season. But I want to finish my career at Liverpool. I don't want to play for anyone else."

Perhaps Rafa doesn't want to extend his contract, perhaps Jamie doesn't want to warm the bench for the remainder of his career, I suppose Sami showed no commitment when he left when he was offered a longer contract and the prospect of playing week in week out.

You my friend have never heard of personal pride.
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2010 01:23:20 pm by Venison 86 »
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #28: May 21, 2010 01:18:45 pm
      I would rather have a limited footballer who gives his 150% everytime on the pitch, rather than an immensely talented player who couldn't give a sh*t.

Players should be F***ing honoured to be playing for this club, not the other way around.

Those who don't want to be committed to this club can F**k off, despite how good they are. I only want players who give a sh*t about the club.

Absolutely spot on there from Jamie. Well in.
      skunkburner
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts |
      Reply #29: May 21, 2010 02:47:05 pm
      Carra's a F***ing legend.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: May 21, 2010 05:35:29 pm
      I don't care why they want to play for the club, paycheck or passion, just aslong as they turn up. Too many players last season went missing.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #31: May 21, 2010 06:16:58 pm
      Couldnt have put it better myself!
      Love the guy- say it how it is-  I hope the lads are listening and commit or offski!

I dont believe any of the media bullshite about anyone leaving- but should anyone have doubts- Carra is absolutely right!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #32: May 21, 2010 08:42:42 pm
      Jamie wears his heart on his sleeve, we could do with more players like him!

Quick Reply