Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Villa reject £20m City bid for Milner

Read 1274 times
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Villa reject £20m City bid for Milner
      May 20, 2010 04:12:58 am
      Aston Villa have "firmly rejected" a £20 million bid from Manchester City for talented England midfielder James Milner.

City made the offer on Wednesday but Villa have rebuffed the approach, insisting that PFA Young Player of the Year Milner is not for sale.

Manchester United and Chelsea have also been linked with the player who first burst to prominence as a 16-year-old with Leeds, but City made the first move, aiming to make Milner the second Villa player in as many summer's to leave the Midands for Manchester.

However, Villa have revealed that they have turned down the offer and are hoping to convince Milner to sign a new contract with the club.

"We have received an offer from Manchester City for James Milner and this has been firmly rejected," a Villa spokesman said.

"We plan to sit down with James and his representative after the World Cup to agree a new long-term deal and this remains our position.''

Milner has just enjoyed a hugely successful season and was recently crowned the PFA Young Player of the Year, with his upturn in fortunes coinciding with Villa boss Martin O'Neill's decision to switch him from a wide role into the middle of the park.

The 24 year-old is currently halfway through the four-year contract he signed when joining Villa for £12 million from Newcastle in the summer of 2008.

England coach Fabio Capello recently said that Milner was "the future'' of English football and Milner has made rapid strides under O'Neill.

Gareth Barry swapped Villa Park for Eastlands in a £12 million deal and O'Neill will certainly be desperate to hold onto one of his prized assets this time around.

Milner helped Villa reach the final of the Carling Cup, the semi-finals of the FA Cup and the top six of the Premier League and owner Randy Lerner stated only last week that he was hopeful of the player remaining at Villa.

But there is no doubt he has become one of the hottest young properties in English football and his value could soar even higher if he has a successful World Cup.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=788886&sec=transfers&cc=5901

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6163375,00.html
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Villa reject £20m City bid for Milner
      Reply #1: May 20, 2010 08:07:11 am
      I'm one of the biggest James Milner fans you'll ever find. Brilliant player, very nice lad. I wish he was a Liverpool player.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: May 20, 2010 09:18:07 am
      Now City have threw that bid in, it's messed about with the market again.

Silly prices this summer, once again. 
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #3: May 20, 2010 09:43:58 am
      pity we didn't get him from Newcastle, worse case scenario for Villa is that they make a tidy profit.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: May 20, 2010 10:47:07 am
      Although he's a good player, I'm not sure he's a player that's going to win you the PL.

Seem to still be placing an emphasis on bringing in English players even though they have all these millions.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: May 20, 2010 02:09:10 pm
      I'm one of the biggest James Milner fans you'll ever find. Brilliant player, very nice lad. I wish he was a Liverpool player.

Second that. I was hoping we would sign him from Newcastle.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: May 20, 2010 02:13:44 pm
      City fans must nt know there F***ing luck a couple of years go they were a small club, now they are the richest club on the planet capable of spending obscene amounts of money on players.

I just don't get it why the Abu Dhabi crowd bought that club, they are not a good brand and no matter what they win they will alway be a small club.

I bet if you asked them now did they make an error buying city off the record I bet they would tell you they did.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: May 20, 2010 02:15:15 pm
      Never in a million years is Milner worth 20 million.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: May 21, 2010 09:10:09 pm
      City willing to pay well over the odds again. Thanks for messing up the transfer fee's even more now.

Quick Reply