Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Dark Horses

Read 5466 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Dark Horses
      Reply #23: May 24, 2010 03:26:56 pm
      Not so much a dark horse, but I'm going to see what odds I can get for France not qualifying from the group stages, just got a little inkling....

I am telling you, i fully back that thought. They are an awful awful team. And that man Domenach is a terrible coach. Good shout.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,310 posts | 2853 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: May 25, 2010 02:41:35 pm
      England.

If they get there best 11 out on the pitch and get a bit of luck required then maybe
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #25: May 25, 2010 07:57:40 pm
      Cameroon & Swiss.

Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #26: May 26, 2010 06:50:22 pm
      Ghana or the USA for me. Neither of them will win it, but they could make some noise.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #27: May 27, 2010 04:26:54 am
      Agree about the predicted failure of france to get out of the group and for the ivory coast to get to the semis.
      USA to draw with us in the group opener and to get to the quaters.
      The shocker for me will be that no south american team will get to the last four. Italy to beat spain in the final after extra time. FACT!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #28: May 27, 2010 04:32:29 am
      Don't rule out Antarctica, they have some boss penguins coming through the ranks.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #29: May 27, 2010 05:17:08 am
      :lmao:

So after Ice Hockey do we have Ice Football too? :P
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #30: May 27, 2010 05:33:01 am
      And back on topic....
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #31: May 28, 2010 06:06:08 am
      Ivory Coast, Uruguay and Mexico.

I dont really consider the US as an Underdog anymore. Not in the true sense of "Underdog"  They have a lot of talent, most with top league experience and the US generally produce some of the best Goalkeepers in the world. Plus when they are hot and feeling good they can beat anyone. Period.

I think the Confed. gave them some confidence and they now know they can beat top teams.  I dont put them in the same class as Brazil Argentina,Italy Spain or even England, But their not that far behind anymore and being called an Underdog, IMO is incorrect. If they won it would be HUGE for US Soccer and a surprise but not out of the realm of possibility. This is the WC and anything can happen,

I hate to say it, especially on this forum but if they beat England it will be a massive boost for them going out of the group stage and I think they can beat England. They need to play perfect ball, but they can win it.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #32: May 29, 2010 07:45:35 pm
      People mentioning Serbia might change their mind after their 1-0 loss against New Zealand today :P
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #33: May 29, 2010 07:55:38 pm
      People mentioning Serbia might change their mind after their 1-0 loss against New Zealand today :P

Serious!
      mihajlons
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #34: May 29, 2010 09:17:19 pm
      why does everyone take friendlies so seriously?  :)
      serbia played without krasić, jovanović, stanković and ivanović
      that's 4 out of our 5 key players. and as i said, it's just a friendly match, new zealand had 2-3 counter attacks, and the rest of time it was serbia attacking, even with the reserve team. but we will have to do better if we want to beat anyone on the wc, that's true
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #35: May 30, 2010 12:48:45 am
      Friendlies aren't that serious obviously, but losing to a team like New Zealand is quite bad if you're a team with aspirations at the World Cup. Think you know too your team can do alot better than that, even if it's a friendly  and without some of your best players.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #36: May 30, 2010 01:17:13 am
      United States ;)
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #37: May 30, 2010 01:24:49 am
      They beat Turkey tonight didn't they, not bad.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #38: May 30, 2010 01:51:36 am
      Good win for us against Turkey.   Altidore scores and Dempsey with the winner.  Nice showing and good win to take into the WC. Their playing good and seem to be coming together.  

The last WC, we had twice as much hype and were supposed to go far, instead we took a sh*t.  Now this team is alot better then the last WC squad and we have less hype and pressure.  So, I dont know. I truly think its going to be England and the US out of our group. But after that, who knows....I think an appearance in the last 4 would be a huge boost to the US game and a Final appearance would be Incredible.

Right now if they make the Semi's...I will be happy and think attitudes will change. Our top league is on par with the Championship League. I think...Maybe top of League 1.  I wish the MLS could send a representative to Champions League.  I think that would also do a lot to promote the league and sport.  I had a buddy who didnt watch Football at all and he was with me when I watched the CL Final in Istanbul and now he loves it.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: May 30, 2010 01:54:01 am
      Didn't the US reach the quarter-finals in 2002?

Donovan and Dempsey are good players!
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #40: May 30, 2010 02:19:33 am
      If US don't have dempsey or Altidore they are phucked.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #41: May 30, 2010 02:35:03 am
      Dempsey, bradley, donovan, altidore and howard are all on their day extremly good players. The defenders though not particulary good know how to cover each other well.
      I honestly believe the game between us and the USA is going to be 1-1. They should really be aiming for the quaters and should get there.
      I'd happily have altidore at anfield. A couple of years learning from nando will make him a quality striker. 
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #42: May 30, 2010 07:13:46 am
      Dempsey, bradley, donovan, altidore and howard are all on their day extremly good players. The defenders though not particulary good know how to cover each other well.
      I honestly believe the game between us and the USA is going to be 1-1. They should really be aiming for the quaters and should get there.
      I'd happily have altidore at anfield. A couple of years learning from nando will make him a quality striker. 

I said it before that Liverpool should go after him. Hes young and has the chance of being one of the best US players in 20 years. He's fast, good ball control, sees the field well, has a rocket kick, he has some European experience with Hull and Villareal. I would like him to get more time playing in Europe. I think if he got on a club with a solid coaching staff and could get him a little more geared to the European game he could be a top tier player. When it comes to team USA its all about Dempsey and Donovan, I thnk Altidore is a gem just needing to be polished. If a club took a chance and worked him and got him more and more time he could turn out to be a fantastic player.

He grew up in this part of New Jersey which just breeds football players. The area has the best youth coaching and select teams in the entire country. Half of the players who ever played for team USA came from New Jersey.  I grew up there and played select and traveling and these guys are the real thing. Just so good. I couldnt Imagine how good he could be if he trained and played with Torres and Gerrard.

You will hear his name in the next 2-3 years. If trained right and polished he could be a top 50 player in the world.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8621 
      Reply #43: May 30, 2010 02:29:40 pm
      You will hear his name in the next 2-3 years. If trained right and polished he could be a top 50 player in the world.

Him and Freddy Adu then!! ;)
      cheesepie
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #44: May 30, 2010 11:13:49 pm
      Chile - runners-up in S American qualifying - smart young side - prob won't beat Spain but should be better than Switzerland (lost to Luxembourg in qualifying) and Honduras. Likely to then meet overrated Portugal in last 16 so could make QFs.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #45: May 31, 2010 02:16:51 am
      Adu really hasnt done sh*t to prove himself. At least Altidore has European playing time and played with a good squad in Villareal and even Hull gave him some EPL experience. He's Still young and needs to get with a team with a solid, youth squad. I think a few seasons with the Liverpool reserves he could become a great player.

Some American players have proven themselves. McBride was a good player for Fulham. He scored 40 goals in 4 seasons. Were going to see some Americans make some noise in Europe. No doubt.  Donovan had a decent run with Everton, enough that they wanted to keep him. Friedel is good Keeper so is Howard, Jay Demerit, Jonathan Spector, Demarcus Beasley. I dont think their anywhere near top of the league but good enough to start and play on a regular basis in the top league in the world. Thats got to mean something. Clint Dempsey had 21 goals in 2 seasons for Fulham and was a good player..

Its hard for these kids to break the stereotype. They need to play better than anyone just because their American. Out of all the National players I just think Altidore has a chance to be better then all of them and finally be considered a top world player. If he has a good WC showing, I think he will be a heavily recruited player by a lot on English Clubs and would love to see him in Liverpool. Would you just ignore a great player just because hes American?

Quick Reply