Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Our Top 5 of Academy

Read 2803 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Our Top 5 of Academy
      May 22, 2010 10:41:30 am
      Who do u think are the most promising players of the current squad of our academy that could make our first XI in the future? Choose your top five!!
       (For me:                          1. A. Wisdom (CB)
                                             2. R. Sterling (RW)
                                             3. J. Robinson (LB)
                                             4. T. Ince (LW)
                                             5. C. Coady (DM)        )
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Our Top 5 of Academy
      Reply #1: May 22, 2010 10:57:06 am
      Good question and quality choice. Wisdom is a beast. Hard to argue with your choices too as all are very promising. Id have Ngoo and Silva in there too but dont ask me who to take out
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: May 22, 2010 11:13:56 am
      Agree with the choices here and with Racer that Ngoo and Silva deserve a shout too. 

I think most of these lads will make the step up to the reserves next season and some may even feature with the 1st team if only on the odd occasion.  I believe that Robinson featuring against Hull has given them all a big lift and that if they work hard it's not an impossible dream.

There are good times to come at Liverpool with the current crop of youngsters, let's hope it won't come too late.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #3: May 22, 2010 11:47:14 am
      Good question, personally I dont think sterling will make it. Wisdom is a cracking prospect as are many of them. My top five would be Ince Robinson Wisdom Silva and maybe then Ngoo but I am pretty excited about the first four.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: May 22, 2010 01:10:46 pm
      Right now that I have some time.         1. Ince. Ready for the step up and will hopefully feature in the first team in a limited capacity next season. Great winger who could provide us the extra creativity we need.            2. Wisdom. For his age the guy is a monster. Will be a rock in defense.            3. Silva. Had limited runs but when he is in the team has shown pace and creativity. I have a feeling this guy will be special.           4. Robinson. Composed under pressure good passing and vision. Great to see him get a chance and take it.             5. Coady. Mature and commanding in midfield and defends his team mates when the sh!t hits the fan. 6. Ngoo. Sometimes clumsy looking but seems so step pass people for fun when in form.          7. Sterling. Endless pace and no shortage of confidence. Lower in the list as I think he is fighting with Silva to secure a wide position
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #5: May 22, 2010 01:32:57 pm
      Sterling will be a top, top player IMO. He will need time though.

Ince is a top prospect too, should see him in the first team squad soon hopefully.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #6: May 22, 2010 01:54:04 pm
      Sterling will be a top, top player IMO. He will need time though.

Ince is a top prospect too, should see him in the first team squad soon hopefully.
      Agree. Sterling was bought for around 0.6M (too much for his age and this tell us his ability and potential). And he was training with QPR first team at the age of 14 and was going to make his debut. For more have a look at this: http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/scout/0,24035,15198_6032180,00.html
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #7: May 22, 2010 02:53:57 pm
      With Rafa at the helm, my best bet is that they make <5 appearances before being sold out for peanut + mars bars.

We'll be having free signings to fill for the squad quota, and they'll also be sold out again for peanut + mars bars slabed with a tag of "PART OF WHEEL AND DEAL, SUCCESFUL SIGNING"
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #8: May 22, 2010 03:08:31 pm
      With Rafa at the helm, my best bet is that they make <5 appearances before being sold out for peanut + mars bars.

We'll be having free signings to fill for the squad quota, and they'll also be sold out again for peanut + mars bars slabed with a tag of "PART OF WHEEL AND DEAL, SUCCESFUL SIGNING"

God you're pessimistic.  Why don't you cheer up.  If 1 or 2 of these even make the first team, it will be a success, 3-4 it will be amazing.  Youth is always a gamble and if we turn a profit on them,  it will be a success.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: May 22, 2010 03:41:00 pm
      Must be quite in the Rafa and Lucas threads today AngelicGlooment
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #10: May 22, 2010 04:48:26 pm
      God you're pessimistic.  Why don't you cheer up.  If 1 or 2 of these even make the first team, it will be a success, 3-4 it will be amazing.  Youth is always a gamble and if we turn a profit on them,  it will be a success.

When was the last time we have academy player, not to mention having success, but playing >5 (Insua/Lucas was bought, not developed)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #11: May 22, 2010 04:54:48 pm
      When was the last time we have academy player, not to mention having success, but playing >5 (Insua/Lucas was bought, not developed)

Darby & Kelly look like possibilities & the only two of note that I can think of at all in recent years are Warnock (mistake to let him go) & Guthrie (not a mistake to let him go).  If they aren't good enough to break through, it's par for the course.  As far as I'm concerned, one or two making it through to the 1st team squad every 3-4 years is a success.  And as you brought up the bought in not brought through, you must think Man United's, Arsenal's & Chelsea's (in recent years) youth systems are failures too?
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #12: May 22, 2010 04:55:27 pm
      surely that question angelic is not what this thread was set up for? It is appreciation of the young lads talents and believing in their ability. If you are going to post in here you should be saying who you think the best prospects are. If you dont think there are any prospects, then dont post anything.
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #13: May 22, 2010 05:01:25 pm
      surely that question angelic is not what this thread was set up for? It is appreciation of the young lads talents and believing in their ability. If you are going to post in here you should be saying who you think the best prospects are. If you dont think there are any prospects, then dont post anything.

It matters not what I think, it matters what Rafa thinks

Darby & Kelly look like possibilities & the only two of note that I can think of at all in recent years are Warnock (mistake to let him go) & Guthrie (not a mistake to let him go).  If they aren't good enough to break through, it's par for the course.  As far as I'm concerned, one or two making it through to the 1st team squad every 3-4 years is a success.  And as you brought up the bought in not brought through, you must think Man United's, Arsenal's & Chelsea's (in recent years) youth systems are failures too?

The problem is, very few of them are given chances to be proven good / bad. At Mancs and Arsenal they seems to get more chances, at least they play bit and pcs here and there, and if the fans see them not good enough, at least they have had their chances.

I'd rate Kelly, but it seems he can't dislodge Johnson, unless Rafa plays him and Johnson in the same wing.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: May 22, 2010 05:12:30 pm
      It matters not what I think, it matters what Rafa thinks

The problem is, very few of them are given chances to be proven good / bad. At Mancs and Arsenal they seems to get more chances, at least they play bit and pcs here and there, and if the fans see them not good enough, at least they have had their chances.

I'd rate Kelly, but it seems he can't dislodge Johnson, unless Rafa plays him and Johnson in the same wing.

What others deserved chance this season?  Maybe some didn't get as much game time as you would have liked them too, or in fact I would have liked to see. Kelly would have got much more game time, if his injury hadn't coincided with Johnson's injury.

I expect a lot of them to get some game time next season, I also expect to see a fair few shipped out.  Sometimes, you don't need to give  them first team football to know they won't make the mark.

In the last few years, we've really started to see an evolution in our youth & ressie ranks, a buzz not seen since the Gerrard/Owen early years. 
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #15: May 22, 2010 06:01:10 pm
      What others deserved chance this season?  Maybe some didn't get as much game time as you would have liked them too, or in fact I would have liked to see. Kelly would have got much more game time, if his injury hadn't coincided with Johnson's injury.

I expect a lot of them to get some game time next season, I also expect to see a fair few shipped out.  Sometimes, you don't need to give  them first team football to know they won't make the mark.

In the last few years, we've really started to see an evolution in our youth & ressie ranks, a buzz not seen since the Gerrard/Owen early years. 

I believe it when I see it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: May 22, 2010 06:08:40 pm

Some people can't see the wood for the trees though mate.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #17: May 22, 2010 06:18:36 pm
      So what your saying is because its been a while since we brought someone through, it cant happen again?
      Because people in the past werent good enough that means Wisdom and Sterling cant?
      Please stop talkin shi*e!!!!
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #18: May 22, 2010 06:34:58 pm
      Because it has been a while since we brought someone through it won't likely to be that easy.

Please stop talking sh*te, we have this conversation almost every year, but it is the result that counts, and I am not wrong when I said "I believe it when I see it"

Please stop talking sh*te, I can say the same.

"Because people in the past weren't good enough what makes you think Wisdom and Sterling is good enough?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #19: May 22, 2010 06:39:57 pm
      Not have enough look for our academy boys but some like Sterling is seem great. Hope a boy having good progress and chance. Also heard much positive for Ince, even some about Chelsea want to take him. This is a sign of good, I hope. Robinson even having a chance for first team at age only 16 meaning he's something special.
      And I'm very very trust in a man who help Messi/Fabregas/Pique progress, our young boys are in the right hand for sure.

Sorry for my poor English.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: May 22, 2010 08:56:15 pm
      Nicely said skolred. Angel of Doom spread your poison somewhere else. There has been great steps in our academy this year. Most who take interest in our youth teams will tell you that. We have seen a good portion of youth players get games in the season gone and it is not unrealistic to expect some of the players mentioned in this thread to get some first team games under their belt next year. As lefty has already stated this thread is for discussion on who we think, as fans of this great club, is the most likely to feature for us in the future. If you can add something to that fine. So far your posts would suggest otherwise
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #21: May 23, 2010 09:34:06 pm
      Any heard of Gerardo Bruna, he's at the academy, Supposed to be the next 'Big' thing :-\

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: May 23, 2010 10:12:27 pm
      Bruna plays in the reserves. Signed from Real Madrid and was held in as high a regard as Pacheco was at Barcelona. Been hit and miss this year. Seemed to lose interest in games very easily but does have quality

Quick Reply