Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Michael Essien Out Of World Cup

Read 1677 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Michael Essien Out Of World Cup
      May 27, 2010 06:37:49 pm
      Essien out of World Cup

Ghana have been dealt a major blow with the news that Michael Essien will not be fit for the World Cup.

The 27-year-old Chelsea midfielder has been battling knee and ankle injuries for much of this season and it means he will not recover fully until the end of July.

Essien picked up the knee knock whilst on international duty for Ghana during the African Cup of Nations earlier in the year, and will now miss the first ever World Cup on his home continent.

Ghana manager Milovan Rajevac had hoped the former Lyon man would be passed fit for the showpiece tournament in South Africa, but he now faces more time on the sidelines.

A statement on the Ghana website said: "Black Stars midfielder, Michael Essien, has been ruled out of the 2010 Fifa World Cup.

"An evaluation by a combined team of medical experts from the Ghana Football Association and Chelsea Football Club revealed that Essien will not make full recovery until the end of July.

"The Ghana Football Association wishes him full recovery and a quick return to football action."

Essien played in the 2006 World Cup in Germany four years ago in what was the Black Stars' first appearance in the tournament.

This year Ghana have been drawn in Group D alongside Australia, Germany and Serbia.

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12098_6175410,00.html
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Michael Essien Out Of World Cup
      Reply #1: May 27, 2010 06:39:14 pm
      Poor Essien. I only don't like him cause he plays for Chelski. Class Defensive Mid. Chelski doing backflips as he'll be fresh for the new season.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: May 27, 2010 06:39:24 pm
      That's a huuuge loss for Ghana.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: May 27, 2010 06:41:25 pm
      Real shame. One of my favourite players in world football. I'm actually quite disappointed by that.

Of course, an unbelievably huge loss for Ghana.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: May 27, 2010 06:44:35 pm
      Bad luck for him.

But hell the Aussies are getting some breaks! No Ballack for the Germans, now no Essien for Ghana. Not gonna get my hopes up though :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: May 27, 2010 07:01:59 pm
      Bad luck for him.

But hell the Aussies are getting some breaks! No Ballack for the Germans, now no Essien for Ghana. Not gonna get my hopes up though :D

You mean Serbia are the lucky ones, here. No Essien for Ghana, no Ballack for Germany, Kewell half crocked for Australia. All leg associated, too.

All that, unless Kuzmanovic gets an injury to his leg also for Serbia.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: May 27, 2010 07:16:17 pm
      You mean Serbia are the lucky ones, here. No Essien for Ghana, no Ballack for Germany, Kewell half crocked for Australia. All leg associated, too.

All that, unless Kuzmanovic gets an injury to his leg also for Serbia.

Kewell is permanently half crocked, so as far as im concerned he's fully fit :laugh:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: May 27, 2010 07:21:34 pm
      Kewell is permanently half crocked, so as far as im concerned he's fully fit :laugh:

A fair and obvious point, indeed ;)
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: May 27, 2010 09:50:04 pm
      On what I said about Ghana making some noise in the World Cup - scratch that.
      marcyanguez
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2010 04:00:49 pm
      It's a shy because I reckon one of tha african team is going to have a great performance and considering the group stages of Ivory Coast, Ghana with Essien was one of the best candidates. Without him they have less chances.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #10: Jun 04, 2010 08:00:23 am
      Don't wish anyone injuries, but this is perfect for the Socceroos. My expectations have risen, yet i won't let them get too high.

Quick Reply