Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Where have all the good men gone??

Read 8140 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Re: Where have all the good men gone??
      Reply #46: Jan 30, 2011 02:17:52 pm
      LFCBosnia, you're damn right! ''Only the local will be faithful''. Common sense, isn't it?

Is kenny dalglish a local? or shankly? dont talk rubbish.
      Red Wasp
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #47: Jan 30, 2011 05:16:55 pm
      Just seen the photo on twitter of him training alone.Its very sad it has to end like this but you make your own bed i guess.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #48: Jan 30, 2011 05:58:03 pm
      We, the fans, always look through rose-tinted spectacles. We are unable to think or act objectively because for most of us this club is just as a kin as our family and friends. It is one of the only certaincies in our lives - that we will always support liverpool.

In our emotional feeling for the club we have naively presumed that the players who represent the club we love, feel as we do. When our rose-tinted spectacles fail to prevent this reality from being seen by us, we are naturally suprised.

With torres, we have made him into a super-hero, both based on his ability and his loyalty. I expect this is because he is one of the best players to play for liverpool in the clubs history. We see his undeniable quality on the pitch and this distracts us from the truth that he is but a human-being, not a super-hero.

He has the same weaknesses as all of us, and the one that has been revealed in the past few days is his apparent selfishness and lack of loyalty. I say apparent because all footaballers, as all individuals, are only so loyal to a degree, and act selfishly when they need to.

Torres only has 3-5 years at his very best, he is as selfish as me or you or anyone when it come to improving their own lives, and striving for success. We should be able as fans of this club to admit we are not in the brightest days right now. And we should be able to admit to ourselves that, currently, chelsea are in a better position than us to win trophies.

We, as fans, constantly see a rainbow on the horizon, and say to ourselves "it'll be different next year", and i truly hope it will be. Footbllers (most anyway), on the other hand are not fans as we are fans, torres can only way up his future actions on what has happaned in the past and does not see the definate utopian future ahead of us. He most likely sees a club on the decline, a club that when he arrived had gotten to two champions league finals, and consistently qualified for it every season. But now looks to miss out on the biggest domestic footaball competition in two consecuative seasons.

Allas, we are not the club we were when torres arrived. Meanwhile, the number of rivals has increased, making our chalenge even harder. I truly believe that the last two seasons have been an unfortuante blip, and we will get back on the right track soon, but i know it'll take time. Torres clearly doesn't feel we are club capable of a resurgence, and if that is his view I can be angry about this, but I have to understand it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #49: Jan 30, 2011 06:17:14 pm
      Heaven
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #50: Jan 30, 2011 10:50:53 pm
      The sad truth is the relationship between the players and fans has been dying for a long time. Having said that I look at certain players and feel a sense of pride and joy that they wear the red of Liverpool. One man does that more for me than anyone else. It is of course Dirk Kuyt. I look at Dirk Kuyt and he's just the nicest man in football who's work off the pitch in helping charities and communities is just as hard working and admirable as his work on the field. He is the one man who I can always count on for 110% commitment for every second of the 90 minutes even if it doesn't always appear to be successful. He is a man not driven by money but driven by commitment, pride and most of all gratitude. For as long as there are men like Dirk Kuyt in the game then there's always hope for the good men and the good side of football.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #51: Jan 30, 2011 11:33:55 pm
      The sad truth is the relationship between the players and fans has been dying for a long time. Having said that I look at certain players and feel a sense of pride and joy that they wear the red of Liverpool. One man does that more for me than anyone else. It is of course Dirk Kuyt. I look at Dirk Kuyt and he's just the nicest man in football who's work off the pitch in helping charities and communities is just as hard working and admirable as his work on the field. He is the one man who I can always count on for 110% commitment for every second of the 90 minutes even if it doesn't always appear to be successful. He is a man not driven by money but driven by commitment, pride and most of all gratitude. For as long as there are men like Dirk Kuyt in the game then there's always hope for the good men and the good side of football.
      Great shout mate, we all slate him at times, but when it comes down to it, he has got the best attitude in football and he puts everyone else in the team to shame with how much he will try for this club.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #52: Jan 31, 2011 09:27:27 am
      I hate to say this, but football no longer looks like a sport from which one can draw inspiration for one's life.

You play well, you get into a good team, you earn a good deal, you continue playing well and you get a better deal, yeah justified. but its when your team is in crisis do you need to be with the team and be counted. i've seen so many many players leaving clubs in crisis. like torres now widely speculated to leave liverpool because liverpool no longer challenged for titles. Is that all they look for? People say a footballer is remembered for what he has won. ok let's take an example of alan shearer, he was a good england player. how many of you remember how man trophies he has won?? am surprised by players total lack of affection for the club. you dont quit a club because the club has a bad patch!!! or isnt financially sound or whatever. i mean these fans idolise you. when someone puts a banner "el nino" and has your face printed on it, it shows what respect you have obtained amongst the public.

How can a player just throw away such a huge amount of respect amongst fans, just for an apparent lack of effort on the clubs part to challenge for trophies??

Footballers are greedy, unethical, lack morality and just to be respected for their acts on the pitch, definitely not off. I dont feel like ideolising anyone cause you never know when the guy would turn up against you wearing a blue of everton or a red of man utd!!!!

You're expectations of an LFC player are too high, that's the only problem. At the end of the day, Torres is a lifelong Atletico Madrid fan who has currently been playing for Liverpool. It is your choice to idolise a player, not his. The club has been paying him handsomely to do a job and you can't expect him to have the same loyaly to the club as a lifelong fan. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's his life, his career...not ours.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #53: Jan 31, 2011 09:50:27 am
      I still believe the same thing. Have a team full of RED Scousers and you will never go wrong. I mean bootroom boys.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #54: Jan 31, 2011 10:04:04 am
      Torres talked a good game about committment to Liverpool and now look. What a w**ker. What a kick in the teeth to everyone. Paid an extra ten quid to have that cu*ts name on the back of my sons shirt. Might aswell have drawn a cock and ballbag.

I bet your son is glad you didn't!!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #55: Jan 31, 2011 10:26:39 am
      Where's the streetwise hercules? Damn. Sorry half expected someone to be singing - I need a hero, I'll get my coat

You missed "and where are all the gods".....
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #56: Jan 31, 2011 01:15:33 pm
      Some are just beyond our reach and some are looking back to see.
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #57: Jan 31, 2011 07:13:49 pm
      where have all the good men gone?

They get up in the morning and go to work as Electricians and carpenters and plumbers and builders and road workers and steel workers and miners and drivers and they work for the minimum wage and just over and then they come back home and look after their families and that's where all the good men are....
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2011 07:22:45 pm by Red Horizon, Reason: spelling mistake »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #58: Jan 31, 2011 07:21:08 pm
      where have all the good men go?

They get up in the morning and go to work as Electricians and carpenters and plumbers and builders and road workers and steel workers and miners and drivers and they work for the minimum wage and just over and then they come back home and look after their families and that's where all the good men are....
      Not like certain football players eh!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #59: Jan 31, 2011 07:33:32 pm
      Hey we've still got Kuyt, Carra, Stevie, Kenny. Still got good men. Still got heart. Still Liverpool.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #60: Feb 22, 2011 11:13:33 pm
      Here is one.
      Discounting Kenny , this man was my favourite to take the managers job last summer which I made no secret of.
      He, for the first time, has come out with why he didnt come to the club, at that time.

It was a thing called ethics and loyalty. Something you just can't buy.
      Our loss at the time but eventually, we got who we all wanted.

Perhaps the Diddy Man will be welcomed at Anfield in the future.
      With his morality he could sit next to the King.

Didier Deschamps says he rejected the chance to manage Liverpool due to his commitment to Marseille and the timing of the approach.

The Reds were on the lookout for a new man at the helm last summer following Rafa Benitez's exit and they looked to the ex-France international as a potential replacement.

The former Chelsea midfielder was flattered to be interesting a club with such rich history, although he has given his word to Marseille that he would see out his contract at Stade Velodrome.

Deschamps, who won 103 caps for France, had another year on his contract with Marseille and was not about to walk out on the club early.

With the Ligue 1 pre-season just around the corner he felt the timing of his possible exit would have been a hammer blow to the club.
      Flattered

"I was immensely flattered to receive Liverpool's offer but there are two principal reasons that made me stay at Marseille."

"I thought about it for more than two seconds, I won't lie to you.
      Believe me.
      It's not every day Liverpool come knocking on your door.

"It was not an easy decision, I tell you, not easy. But I had given my word here.

"I had a year left on my contract and committed myself to staying, giving my promise to the president, the fans and the players.

"There were players who came here for me. Then Liverpool's offer came two days before we started pre-season at the end of June.

"As I am a man of my word, I couldn't do it.

"At the same time we also had the controversy of the French team at the World Cup in South Africa and I couldn't see myself adding to that by dropping Marseille in it two days before pre-season and saying 'That's it, I'm going to Liverpool'.

Top bloke.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6769952,00.html
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #61: Feb 23, 2011 05:13:03 pm
      ....and good luck tonight mate.
      Stick one away against the scum just for us.

Here is one.
      Discounting Kenny , this man was my favourite to take the managers job last summer which I made no secret of.
      He, for the first time, has come out with why he didnt come to the club, at that time.

It was a thing called ethics and loyalty. Something you just can't buy.
      Our loss at the time but eventually, we got who we all wanted.

Perhaps the Diddy Man will be welcomed at Anfield in the future.
      With his morality he could sit next to the King.

Didier Deschamps says he rejected the chance to manage Liverpool due to his commitment to Marseille and the timing of the approach.

The Reds were on the lookout for a new man at the helm last summer following Rafa Benitez's exit and they looked to the ex-France international as a potential replacement.

The former Chelsea midfielder was flattered to be interesting a club with such rich history, although he has given his word to Marseille that he would see out his contract at Stade Velodrome.

Deschamps, who won 103 caps for France, had another year on his contract with Marseille and was not about to walk out on the club early.

With the Ligue 1 pre-season just around the corner he felt the timing of his possible exit would have been a hammer blow to the club.
      Flattered

"I was immensely flattered to receive Liverpool's offer but there are two principal reasons that made me stay at Marseille."

"I thought about it for more than two seconds, I won't lie to you.
      Believe me.
      It's not every day Liverpool come knocking on your door.

"It was not an easy decision, I tell you, not easy. But I had given my word here.

"I had a year left on my contract and committed myself to staying, giving my promise to the president, the fans and the players.

"There were players who came here for me. Then Liverpool's offer came two days before we started pre-season at the end of June.

"As I am a man of my word, I couldn't do it.

"At the same time we also had the controversy of the French team at the World Cup in South Africa and I couldn't see myself adding to that by dropping Marseille in it two days before pre-season and saying 'That's it, I'm going to Liverpool'.

Top bloke.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6769952,00.html
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #62: Feb 24, 2011 05:22:54 pm
      ....and good luck tonight mate.
      Stick one away against the scum just for us.

Deschamps should shut his facehole.

He is so full of himself. Why the heck does he keep talking about us?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #63: Feb 24, 2011 10:01:20 pm
      Deschamps should shut his facehole.
      He is so full of himself. Why the heck does he keep talking about us?

You obviously didnt read the article and what he said.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #64: Feb 25, 2011 06:18:04 am
      You obviously didnt read the article and what he said.
      Apparently he said Kenny Begged him to take LFC Job.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #65: Feb 25, 2011 09:13:57 am
      Kenny had good judgement then.
      It was confirmed after the event that DD was interviewed.

It was our good fortune that he had the ethics he did.....stayed with a lower paid job at Marseille because he had given his word and had really thought it through.

We then get the owl ... he completely f***s up,  KK  takes over and the rest is history.

Quick Reply