Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Boycotting the Arsenal Game

Read 21068 times
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Boycotting the Arsenal Game
      Reply #46: Jun 18, 2010 02:13:34 pm
      The capacity is 43000 and odd isn't it?

If they're not getting their money from the fans, then they'll either sell players to service the debt - possible, but would seriously devalue the club selling the big stars. Or they'll be forced to service the debt out of their own pockets instead of ours. They're in a no-win situation. It will force them to be more realistic with their asking price.

As for not everyone going on the forums who goes the match - they'll see the protests, they'll see the banners, they'll read the leaflets, they'll read the Echo, they'll watch Northwest Tonight. The message will soon get across.

NOT A PENNY MORE
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #47: Jun 18, 2010 02:29:38 pm
      I get the idea of a boycott is to hurt the yanks pockets, but really it's doing the team no favours either. I for one support Liverpool Football Club and I want to show my support for the players on the pitch any way I can. A lot of people on here will bi*ch about Gerrard and say his head is going down and he's been a sh*t captain. This is because his morale, and the morale of the team is low after a poor season. Its not exactly going to improve morale if they walk out onto the pitch at anfield on the first day of the season with f**k all fans cheering them on. I get the idea but in my list of priorities, supporting the players comes first.

In my mind this is supporting the players indirectly. They know we need to improve the squad/build a new stadium etc etc, and that this will only be done once we get some decent owners in willing to invest in the squad and the club itself. I think the players have a similar feeling towards to the owners as we do, if they wanted to they would never be able to voice their opinion's as they would be ultimately be playin with their livelyhood!

A boycot is also needed for the club itself, regardless of the players, the actual club is facing massive consequences and once the yanks have to face that they will start stripping the club of it's assets i.e. players. Once that happens we wont have our starts to support anyways. . .

Get involved mate, lets get rid of these F**KING TW@TS once and for all!!!!!!! YNWA
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #48: Jun 18, 2010 10:27:43 pm
      My thoughts are what's the f**king point?

Buy a ticket, line the pockets of the yanks and then don't go. Oh yeah that makes sense. They couldn't give a f**k if the numbers are in the ground or not, they care solely for the number of tickets sold. That's all. I think they'd be prepared to sacrifice the odd pie not being bought or the matchday program not being sold, if they were still getting the money from the tickets.

If you're boycotting the match, you boycott it. You don't buy a ticket then not go. That's idiotic.

Completely agree. If that's what people are doing then it's foolish. Don't buy tickets in the first place.
      3-star-wool
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 155 posts | -11 
      Reply #49: Jun 19, 2010 04:01:21 am
      Personally won't be boycotting going to matches I have paid to see (through season ticket), and although I very rarely buy club merchandise- when I need to pick up a father's day prezzie in town this week, yes I just went to the club shop and bought my items.

I would love a boycott to be viable, but at a club our size it isn't. The nearest thing to a successful boycott was the away game at Sheff Wed (May 99?)... which was an away game (therefore season ticket holders hadn't automatically paid for their ticket), it was a nothing game, the cause was particularly emotive (Hillsborough around the time of the 10th anniversary) and it was very well publicised (in an early internet age). And even then of the 7000 tickets allocated between 800-1000 tickets were bought and used by out-of-town reds travelling independantly (not ranting, just stating a fact) and a number of out-of-town supporters coaches (again, not being anti-OOTer, but these were the scabs who broke ranks).

A home game with a lot to play for against a top 4 team, when we have 30 odd thousand reds across the country desperate for a season ticket is not the place for a boycott. I know lads who are backing this boycott, and I respect the sacrifice they are willing to make, but given that I don't think this is workable, I will be attending.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #50: Jun 19, 2010 06:39:12 am
      Personally won't be boycotting going to matches I have paid to see (through season ticket), and although I very rarely buy club merchandise- when I need to pick up a father's day prezzie in town this week, yes I just went to the club shop and bought my items.

I would love a boycott to be viable, but at a club our size it isn't. The nearest thing to a successful boycott was the away game at Sheff Wed (May 99?)... which was an away game (therefore season ticket holders hadn't automatically paid for their ticket), it was a nothing game, the cause was particularly emotive (Hillsborough around the time of the 10th anniversary) and it was very well publicised (in an early internet age). And even then of the 7000 tickets allocated between 800-1000 tickets were bought and used by out-of-town reds travelling independantly (not ranting, just stating a fact) and a number of out-of-town supporters coaches (again, not being anti-OOTer, but these were the scabs who broke ranks).

A home game with a lot to play for against a top 4 team, when we have 30 odd thousand reds across the country desperate for a season ticket is not the place for a boycott. I know lads who are backing this boycott, and I respect the sacrifice they are willing to make, but given that I don't think this is workable, I will be attending.

The fact you actually have the nerve to come on here and admit to buying at the club store like its no big deal is just despicable.

You seem to just be one of those "f**k it, it won't work so ill just keep doing what im doing and stick my head in the sand" people. I respect the dilemma that some who have season tickets have as far as re-purchasing, but not even being arsed to bother trying the boycott - that just disappoints me.

You mention that Sheffield boycott - if those numbers are correct, then only 1,000 out of 7,000 being bought is a huge success! If you factor that to an Anfield boycott, then using my knowledge of equal percentages then that would work out to at best not even 10,000 at Anfield - a hugely small number and one that would not be ignored. Now, I myself wonder if it will work, but I know im at least behind trying it. And the reason I have reservations about it working is not just because of less knowledgeable OOT, but it's people like you who just don't even care enough to try. I still believe if this campaign gets enough behind it we can at least reduce the crowd numbers considerably so that its noticed.

You mention those who bought those Sheffield tickets as 'scabs' - funny, coming from a guy not willing to try boycotting AND just bought from the club shop. Bloody hell :roll:
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2010 06:50:07 am by bigvYNWA »
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #51: Jun 19, 2010 09:19:38 am
      How bout making a big banner saying that we support the team in spirit, and have those fans going to the game displaying it proudly over a half empty Kop stand....sure the cameras will see that.

I think that only a half empty Anfield will have an impact, 5-7000 missing wont show any real effect.

Good luck though!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #52: Jun 19, 2010 10:56:56 am
      Are we actually thinking this could work?

I mean yeah- everyone on the forums will boycott- but not every lfc fan that attends games go on these forums-
      Im not saying it wont work or anything of the like- just trying to be realistic!

Capacity of Anfield is 46,000 right?
      So that means we would need at least 23,000 not to attend to get noticed,

Im just thinking that each genuine supporter that doesnt go- some daytripper or fan who is unaware of the situation will go- hence the stadium will not be empty enough to get noticed.

I agree, 10 years ago a boycott could have worked but these days fans travel from all over the world to attend games. 

The hardcore fans..ie the majority on here and other forums etc will boycott but as for the daytrippers, foreign based fans etc do you honestly think if they had the chance to watch Liverpool vs Arsenal they would pass up the chance of a ticket?

I've spoken to someone who used to work in the ticket office and I was told for certain premier league weekend games the club gets anything between 60-100,000 ticket applications, phone calls, hits on website etc.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #53: Jun 19, 2010 03:46:28 pm
      The hardcore fans..ie the majority on here and other forums etc will boycott but as for the daytrippers, foreign based fans etc do you honestly think if they had the chance to watch Liverpool vs Arsenal they would pass up the chance of a ticket?

And what if they don't?

Your conscience will be clear. You will have made your stand. You will have done your bit and played your part. If others want to ignore the obvious, F**k 'em.

I guess it boils down to what you believe in and what you perceive to be right or wrong - personally i believe depriving H & G of my hard earned is right but each to their own.  :-\
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #54: Jun 19, 2010 03:50:58 pm
      The fact you actually have the nerve to come on here and admit to buying at the club store like its no big deal is just despicable.

You seem to just be one of those "f**k it, it won't work so ill just keep doing what im doing and stick my head in the sand" people. I respect the dilemma that some who have season tickets have as far as re-purchasing, but not even being arsed to bother trying the boycott - that just disappoints me.

You mention that Sheffield boycott - if those numbers are correct, then only 1,000 out of 7,000 being bought is a huge success! If you factor that to an Anfield boycott, then using my knowledge of equal percentages then that would work out to at best not even 10,000 at Anfield - a hugely small number and one that would not be ignored. Now, I myself wonder if it will work, but I know im at least behind trying it. And the reason I have reservations about it working is not just because of less knowledgeable OOT, but it's people like you who just don't even care enough to try. I still believe if this campaign gets enough behind it we can at least reduce the crowd numbers considerably so that its noticed.

You mention those who bought those Sheffield tickets as 'scabs' - funny, coming from a guy not willing to try boycotting AND just bought from the club shop. Bloody hell :roll:

How the hell has he managed to get his hands on a season ticket is what I want to know when hes clearly one of the biggest whoppers on the site.

He's the sort of idiot which we're all up against. We've got no chance...
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #55: Jun 19, 2010 03:54:22 pm

Sorry  mate, I  agree with bigvYNWA about your attitude towards boycotts, if I thought like you and I DON'T ! the last thing I would have done is come on here voicing my opinion !
      if  the  likes of yourself keep lining the pocket of those two leeches then the likes of me and loads of others on this forum are going to be pulling their hair out for many a year , WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE MATE ! we're being screwed right left and centre and people like your are prolonging the agony !
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #56: Jun 19, 2010 10:47:57 pm
      Has anyone actually thought what this might do to any of the players we will be lucky to keep?

If Torres thought he was going to be playing in front of a crowed worthy only of a an old Football Combination League game, then why the hell would he stay and why could we blame him for that?

I have seen some sh*te on here, but the biggest load of crap is all those comments about supporting the TEAM. How can you be if you decide to boycott a game or 2? You will come back after boycotting 1, 2 or 3 games, so boycotting achieves nothing. Get behind the team and the team only.

We have no control over the H&G regime. Fan power would have worked by now. I for one will keep protesting but I will never sacrifice my support for the lads whether the yanks stay or go.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Jun 19, 2010 11:13:06 pm
      Has anyone actually thought what this might do to any of the players we will be lucky to keep?

If Torres thought he was going to be playing in front of a crowed worthy only of a an old Football Combination League game, then why the hell would he stay and why could we blame him for that?

I have seen some sh*te on here, but the biggest load of crap is all those comments about supporting the TEAM. How can you be if you decide to boycott a game or 2? You will come back after boycotting 1, 2 or 3 games, so boycotting achieves nothing. Get behind the team and the team only.

We have no control over the H&G regime. Fan power would have worked by now. I for one will keep protesting but I will never sacrifice my support for the lads whether the yanks stay or go.

But we do have the power to control their regime just not with protests.  The only thing keeping them here is the money they get from ticket sales and club merchandise sales.

Fan power hasn't worked till now because we haven't hit them where it hurts - in their pockets.  Never underestimate the power we have over them, that's what they've done but they are going to find out soon that we have had enough of them and we can starve them of their life blood.

NOT A PENNY MORE!!
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #58: Jun 19, 2010 11:20:40 pm
      But we do have the power to control their regime just not with protests.  The only thing keeping them here is the money they get from ticket sales and club merchandise sales.

Fan power hasn't worked till now because we haven't hit them where it hurts - in their pockets.  Never underestimate the power we have over them, that's what they've done but they are going to find out soon that we have had enough of them and we can starve them of their life blood.

NOT A PENNY MORE!!
      Ok, the Club shop, Online sales, the programmes, subscription to LFCTV, even pies at half time (although I suspect the beer wont be boycotted) but boycotting a game does nothing. The season tickets are already bought and paid for by then and you point out one fan who is prepared to forgo his/her season ticket to
      a) give up his seat and go to the back of the waiting list and
      b) risk not getting a seat IF we ever get the new stadium.

Its all talk and it wont achieve a thing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #59: Jun 19, 2010 11:46:56 pm

Its all talk and it wont achieve a thing.

What won't achieve a thing mate is doing nothing as that is what THEY are relying on.

They expect us to continue supporting the team, even when they've sold most of the players.

They expect us to continue buying merchandise, memberships, subscriptions etc.

They expected us to be in the Champions League - that cash cows gone now.

They expected us to have the same TV revenue - that's also much less now.

They have expected all this to continue without doing a damn thing to ensure we achieved anything.  The banks expected that revenue to continue - that's why they continued to lend them money.

The new sponsors expected it too - although they were sensible enough to have clauses in the contract about CL qualification, so that £20m they were relying on won't be available.

But you carry on mate.  You continue to be taken for granted.  You let your loyalty to the Club be treated with contempt.  You carry on believing that you are contributing to improving the team or getting the stadium built.

jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #60: Jun 19, 2010 11:55:02 pm
      What won't achieve a thing mate is doing nothing as that is what THEY are relying on.

They expect us to continue supporting the team, even when they've sold most of the players.

They expect us to continue buying merchandise, memberships, subscriptions etc.

They expected us to be in the Champions League - that cash cows gone now.

They expected us to have the same TV revenue - that's also much less now.

They have expected all this to continue without doing a damn thing to ensure we achieved anything.  The banks expected that revenue to continue - that's why they continued to lend them money.

The new sponsors expected it too - although they were sensible enough to have clauses in the contract about CL qualification, so that £20m they were relying on won't be available.

But you carry on mate.  You continue to be taken for granted.  You let your loyalty to the Club be treated with contempt.  You carry on believing that you are contributing to improving the team or getting the stadium built.

The only way, the way that will speak volumes is if no one renews their ticket and no one buys a ticket for the first time.
      Lets ask the question then . . . Who feels so strong about this that they are prepared to NOT renew their season ticket and risk not gettiing a seat back? This will be interesting !
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #61: Jun 20, 2010 12:07:42 am
      There's a few on here mate that have given their season ticket up this time but we do understand why a lot haven't.  It's a dilemma that only they can make a decision on.

All we can do is try to influence non ST holders into joining the boycott.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #62: Jun 20, 2010 12:24:11 am
      I have no problem with season ticket holders keeping their ticket, they are like gold dust, but I think even season ticket holders should boycott selected games, especially high profile ones that will get media coverage.  The Arsenal game is definitely high profile & would show a statement of intent.  Too many people seem to want something done, but only if it doesn't affect them.  As for players,  you can show your support by turning up but not going inside the ground.  Players aren't so stupid as to realize it's not them we are withdrawing our support for. 

You'd have to be a very naive fan, or possibly paid off - if the internet rumours are true,  if you don't think we need to excise the cancer that are Hicks & Gillete as quickly as  possible.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #63: Jun 20, 2010 12:49:00 am
      I would never ask anyone to give up their season ticket - blimey, if one came my way I'd snap it up if I had the cash.

But like others say, we need to make a stand, we need to have some solidarity, and we need to hit the cu*ts where it hurts - in their pockets.

I would suggest, that if a fan has a season ticket, and wants to watch the game (which is fair enough) buy NOTHING at the stadium - don't give them any of the extra's they rely on.

All the fivers and tenners add up - give them NOTHING, and bleed them dry, let them know how it feels.

And remember, sometime in the future, in some way, we will have the opportunity for revenge, whether by sports, by shares, or a good old fashioned kick in the nuts - we WILL prevail, and punish those bas**rds.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I'd do a bit of jail time or take a pasting from his minders if it meant I could get one good shot at the c**t Hicks - and if I had one good shot, his jaw's broken and his nuts are around his ears.

And with that, I'm outta here, because I'm getting too wound up.

Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #64: Jun 20, 2010 12:53:15 am
      There's a few on here mate that have given their season ticket up this time but we do understand why a lot haven't.  It's a dilemma that only they can make a decision on.

All we can do is try to influence non ST holders into joining the boycott.

Thats a huge gesture, giving up a season ticket.  Who has done that?  They deserve a +
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #65: Jun 20, 2010 01:01:36 am
      People who say we have no control over the H&G regime disappoint me. That kinda attitude just stinks.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #66: Jun 20, 2010 01:24:59 am
      Thats a huge gesture, giving up a season ticket.  Who has done that?  They deserve a +

Can't remember names mate but read through some of the threads on the owners etc and you'll find out who they are.  Some on in the Kop some are in the Albert.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #67: Jun 20, 2010 01:25:47 am
      Renew your'e season tickets,but don't turn up for the games.that sounds the loudest protest.Ok the money is in the gobshites pockets already,but unless YOU are prepared to make a sacrifice,then we are done.I can protest until I ache,but if the majority of nomarks fail to respond,we are done.Examine your'e conscience,if you believe you are a true Red,where do you draw the line,do you have a day out at Anfield,and kick me and many others in the b*llocks,remember we are still fighting for justice for 96 Bretheren,and you are prepared to enter a coach to take you to Anfield on a day trip.Shame on you all.If you were proper supporters,you would tell the driver to take you to Blackpool.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #68: Jun 20, 2010 01:32:39 am
      Renew your'e season tickets,but don't turn up for the games.that sounds the loudest protest.Ok the money is in the gobshites pockets already,but unless YOU are prepared to make a sacrifice,then we are done.I can protest until I ache,but if the majority of nomarks fail to respond,we are done.Examine your'e conscience,if you believe you are a true Red,where do you draw the line,do you have a day out at Anfield,and kick me and many others in the b*llocks,remember we are still fighting for justice for 96 Bretheren,and you are prepared to enter a coach to take you to Anfield on a day trip.Shame on you all.If you were proper supporters,you would tell the driver to take you to Blackpool.

Gotta say I agree with 90% of this.

Just the OOT thing I don't understand.

Quick Reply