Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Are England Good Enough To Win The World Cup?

Read 4546 times
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: Are England Good Enough To Win The World Cup?
      Reply #23: Jun 27, 2010 05:02:51 am
                        Hart
      johnson Terry upson a.Cole
                       Barry
      milner gerrard.  Lampard j.Cole
                       Rooney

that team would be better, althoughthe supposed "big players" haven't turned up yet. I hope they beat Germany, but I don't knownif they can
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #24: Jun 27, 2010 05:54:15 pm
      NO   xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #25: Jun 27, 2010 06:32:30 pm
      Yeah sure they are in 1966
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #26: Jun 27, 2010 10:23:59 pm
      Sure.

In forty years.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #27: Jun 28, 2010 07:58:24 am
                        Hart
      johnson Terry upson a.Cole
                       Barry
      milner gerrard.  Lampard j.Cole
                       Rooney

that team would be better, althoughthe supposed "big players" haven't turned up yet. I hope they beat Germany, but I don't knownif they can
      No no no, that's all wrong. You need Joe Cole on the right, Gerrard on the left and, to make sure we score plenty of goals, Heskey up front.
      Don't you know anything?  :f_tongueincheek:
      Emma Holue
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #28: Jun 28, 2010 08:58:08 am
      Did anyone watch Germany VS England tournament? Germany bounced England out of the 2010 World Cup, by a 4-1 score, that's really shocked me, I cannot believe this!!  I still hate the ref..lampard's goal  is clear, I was 100% over the line, I saw it!! If the second goal is valid, I believe the result will be lead to different!

PS: From a site’s giveaway,http://www.winxdvd.com/online-video-downloader/  I’ve already get an online video downloader for World Cup 2010 special, and I have downloaded all the tournaments England participate in this world cup. England is forever~
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2010 09:15:50 am by Emma Holue »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #29: Jun 28, 2010 09:57:05 am
      England were lucky to even get that far with the way they've played so it's history now.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #30: Jun 28, 2010 10:24:47 am
      England were lucky to even get that far with the way they've played so it's history now.

Is right. Whether Lampard's goal is counted or not is another matter but Germany deserved everything.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #31: Jun 28, 2010 02:32:34 pm
      I think we all know the answer to this question now  :(  I knew England wouldn't go all the way to the final, let alone the semi's, I though we might have got to the quarters though, bit disappointing that we're out, but hey ho that's the way the cookie crumbles. I bet France and Italy didn't think they'd be out either as such an early stage.

What I hate though is the way all the media, tele, papers bumming the England team up, making out like they're the best team in the world and they are gonna wipe everyone away before the tournament starts, saying England have got a great chance of winning, then when we play crap, they start slagging them off and calling for heads to roll, I wish they wouldn't put SO much pressure on them in the first place.  >:(

When you see some of the teams play like Argentina, Germany and a few others, they play together as a team not like a bunch of Individuals like we do, you realise when you see others teams playing that we had no chance of getting very far in the World Cup.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #32: Jun 28, 2010 02:49:49 pm
      I am surprised at how poor an understanding most England fans have when it comes to analysing a football match.

The sheer ignorance of people who assume that yesterdays 4-1 result was a thrashing is quite disturbing. I often wonder if their only means of calculating how well we played is by the score.

For starters, germany's first goal never should have stood, freeze frame the moment before klose slots it past james and you will see klose illegally disposed of upson by using his right arm across upson's face. At that point both players were involved in a 50/50 chase for the ball. It was a clear foul.

Before Germany's second goal, Defoe was incorrectly given offside when he headed onto the crossbar, freeze frame the release of the ball and you will see Defoe was level with the german defender.

Lampards effort to poke home from 6 yards was very unlucky, only a finger tip from the goalkeeper kept it out.

Lampard scored an equaliser enough said about that.

Two of lampards free kicks were handled by the germans, who were in the wall, hardly accidental if you consider the ball was on target, and they know its coming, so should have been penalised, but werent. One led directly to a german break out and a goal.

lampard hit the crossbar from 40 yards, the keeper well beaten, another chance for an equaliser.

In the first 15 mins of the second half we had several chances on goal including defoe, gerrard, and milner. Another near miss when the ball almost fell to gerrard. In that period germany never saw the ball, it was all england.

I am sure we would have won this match had the officials got it right.

Gerrard played an excellent match, his passing was world class, and he was clearly man of the match.

Rooney was poor all tournament, and only did some good things in the early stages of the second half, when we were pressing. Perhaps that explains it, because Man Utd are always pressing, and thats why he sees so much of the ball for his club.

lampard was poor in the group games, but was very good yesterday.

Ashley Cole had a good solid world cup.

John Terry was good in the group games apart from one bad back pass. Yesterday he was poor.

All in all we played pretty well yesterday, with Gerrard being our driving force. That match could have gone either way, and a shocking error by the ref cost us dearly. I still also believe germany's ist goal was illegal.

Its a shame we didnt have yesterdays intensity for the group stages, otherwise we could have avoided germany. I am still proud of our players, who tried their guts out, and got shafted by the officials.

We are a decent side, but not good enough to have genuine goals not given, and still overcome that and prevail.
      Only a brilliant team can win against those sort of barriers.

So are we good enough to win the world cup?  Probably not, but its still frustrating to go out of the tournament in that manner, and events yesterday further fuels my argument that the officials have ruined this world cup.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #33: Jun 28, 2010 03:31:29 pm
      I am surprised at how poor an understanding most England fans have when it comes to analysing a football match.

The sheer ignorance of people who assume that yesterdays 4-1 result was a thrashing is quite disturbing. I often wonder if their only means of calculating how well we played is by the score.

For starters, germany's first goal never should have stood, freeze frame the moment before klose slots it past james and you will see klose illegally disposed of upson by using his right arm across upson's face. At that point both players were involved in a 50/50 chase for the ball. It was a clear foul.

Before Germany's second goal, Defoe was incorrectly given offside when he headed onto the crossbar, freeze frame the release of the ball and you will see Defoe was level with the german defender.

Lampards effort to poke home from 6 yards was very unlucky, only a finger tip from the goalkeeper kept it out.

Lampard scored an equaliser enough said about that.

Two of lampards free kicks were handled by the germans, who were in the wall, hardly accidental if you consider the ball was on target, and they know its coming, so should have been penalised, but werent. One led directly to a german break out and a goal.

lampard hit the crossbar from 40 yards, the keeper well beaten, another chance for an equaliser.

In the first 15 mins of the second half we had several chances on goal including defoe, gerrard, and milner. Another near miss when the ball almost fell to gerrard. In that period germany never saw the ball, it was all england.

I am sure we would have won this match had the officials got it right.

Gerrard played an excellent match, his passing was world class, and he was clearly man of the match.

Rooney was poor all tournament, and only did some good things in the early stages of the second half, when we were pressing. Perhaps that explains it, because Man Utd are always pressing, and thats why he sees so much of the ball for his club.

lampard was poor in the group games, but was very good yesterday.

Ashley Cole had a good solid world cup.

John Terry was good in the group games apart from one bad back pass. Yesterday he was poor.

All in all we played pretty well yesterday, with Gerrard being our driving force. That match could have gone either way, and a shocking error by the ref cost us dearly. I still also believe germany's ist goal was illegal.

Its a shame we didnt have yesterdays intensity for the group stages, otherwise we could have avoided germany. I am still proud of our players, who tried their guts out, and got shafted by the officials.

We are a decent side, but not good enough to have genuine goals not given, and still overcome that and prevail.
      Only a brilliant team can win against those sort of barriers.

So are we good enough to win the world cup?  Probably not, but its still frustrating to go out of the tournament in that manner, and events yesterday further fuels my argument that the officials have ruined this world cup.

Sorry but have to disagree, England have been absolutely sh*te in this world cup and yes they were totally outclassed by a far younger, far dynamic and far classier German team.

The sheer ignorance of supposed fans of the game that think yesterdays game would of changed had that equaliser been given is totally breathtaking, England would have still been taken apart in the second half the way they were defending.

The germans were far more comfortable on the ball and could actually pass the ball, something the majority of England players struggled with.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #34: Jun 28, 2010 04:52:34 pm
      I think we all know the answer to this question now  :(  I knew England wouldn't go all the way to the final, let alone the semi's, I though we might have got to the quarters though, bit disappointing that we're out, but hey ho that's the way the cookie crumbles. I bet France and Italy didn't think they'd be out either as such an early stage.

What I hate though is the way all the media, tele, papers bumming the England team up, making out like they're the best team in the world and they are gonna wipe everyone away before the tournament starts, saying England have got a great chance of winning, then when we play crap, they start slagging them off and calling for heads to roll, I wish they wouldn't put SO much pressure on them in the first place.  >:(

When you see some of the teams play like Argentina, Germany and a few others, they play together as a team not like a bunch of Individuals like we do, you realise when you see others teams playing that we had no chance of getting very far in the World Cup.

Right on, sister! ;)

Totally agree with that.

And this:

Sorry but have to disagree, England have been absolutely sh*te in this world cup and yes they were totally outclassed by a far younger, far dynamic and far classier German team.

The sheer ignorance of supposed fans of the game that think yesterdays game would of changed had that equaliser been given is totally breathtaking, England would have still been taken apart in the second half the way they were defending.

The germans were far more comfortable on the ball and could actually pass the ball, something the majority of England players struggled with.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #35: Jun 28, 2010 05:08:01 pm
      Until England get a manager with enough bollocks to drop Lampard you will always struggle in major tournaments. Stevie is a better all round player than Lampard will ever be, thats why he gets shifted to the left or wherever to accommodate him.

Look at Spain, Fabregas is a great player but hardly gets a look in as they cant fit him into the team and its system.

Aside from that,the way they defended yesterday was an absolute joke and didn't deserve to go any further in the competition as in the four games they played, they played around an hour of decent football.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #36: Jun 28, 2010 05:16:58 pm
      I don't get why England always have to play in a traditional 4-4-2, even when that means having your best player out of position, consdering the only time England won a major tournament, they didn't even use wingers (the 1966 wingless wonders!).

England have the players to win the World Cup, in my opinion. No, they're not the best squad in the world, but so wasn't many of the WC champions in the past - Germany, for example, is always capable of going far in the competition even when they're not even close from being favorites. So I never thought England were going to win it, but they surely had a chance if the individual talents got to play as a team.

They lack confidence, team spirit, understanding between the players (inside the pitch, I mean), and the manager is the one who plays a big role in these factors.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      Reply #37: Jun 28, 2010 05:22:19 pm
      I thought the England team should of been this:
      Hart
      G.Johnson terry cashley
            Hargreaves
      Lennon.  Gerrard  Joe cole
                Rooney
             Defoe Crouch
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Jun 28, 2010 07:25:23 pm
      Hargreaves is broken, mate. Played reserve footy in between his 1000000000000000 injuries since he signed for the Mancs.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      Reply #39: Jun 28, 2010 07:28:26 pm
      Hargreaves is broken, mate. Played reserve footy in between his 1000000000000000 injuries since he signed for the Mancs.

I would still have him broken over Gareth laughable barry
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #40: Jun 28, 2010 11:18:12 pm
      I would still have him broken over Gareth laughable barry

3 at the back?  You're having a laugh.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      Reply #41: Jun 28, 2010 11:19:24 pm
      3 at the back?  You're having a laugh.

It could work, no harm in trying. Play 2 CDM's
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #42: Jun 28, 2010 11:24:16 pm
      We can still win it!

Quick Reply