Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Roy Hodgson - Former LFC Manager

Read 145286 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Roy Hodgson - New Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #23: Jun 30, 2010 12:55:20 am
      Roy Hodgson named as new Liverpool FC manager
      ROY HODGSON will be officially named Liverpool’s new manager tomorrow (Wednesday).

The 62-year-old is due on Merseyside to complete the formalities of signing a contract after the Reds agreed a compensation package in the region of £2million with Fulham for his release.

Cordial negotiations have been ongoing in the past 72 hours between Liverpool’s Managing Director Christian Purslow and Fulham Chief Executive Alastair Mackintosh and they have now reached a successful conclusion.

Though Liverpool – who have remained tight-lipped throughout their search to replace Rafa Benitez – were linked with a clutch of names, Hodgson was always the number one candidate.

Other names in the frame included former Real Madrid boss Manuel Pellegrini, Galatasary’s Frank Rijkaard and Didier Deschamps of Marseille, while Kenny Dalglish also made it clear he was desperate to take the job on.

Dalglish had initially been named as part of the recruitment process but he was desperate to have a second crack at the post he occupied between 1985 and 1991 when he felt his claims were as strong as the other candidates.

The board, though, were anxious to pursue Hodgson and Liverpool will be his 16th job in a managerial career that has spanned almost 35 years.

His first post was with Swedish side Halmstads in 1976 and he enjoyed instant success, leading them to two Swedish titles; he would later coach Malmo after a brief stint with Bristol City.

Success in charge of the Swiss national team led to him being appointed Inter Milan manager in 1995 and the highlight of his time at the San Siro was an appearance in the 1997 UEFA Cup final appearance, which they lost on penalties to Schalke 04.

Hodgson’s first crack at the Premier League came later that year, when he took over at Blackburn, but things did not go according to plan at Ewood Park – despite qualifying for Europe, he was sacked in December 1998.

Stints with Udinese, the United Arab Emirates, Viking Stavanger and Finland followed before Fulham turned to him in December 2007 and he successfully led their battle to avoid the drop, which they did thanks to a last day with at Portsmouth.

After that, his time at Craven Cottage went from strength to strength and he enhanced his reputation while transforming Fulham’s fortunes, guiding them to their highest Premier League finish and an appearance in the Europa League final.

Now he has a fresh challenge and Hodgson, the LMA’s current Manager of the Year, will meet those Liverpool players who have not been at the World Cup tomorrow when they return for pre-season training.

It had been mooted that Hodgson, who is expected to bring his trusted assistant Mike Kelly with him to Anfield, would be favourite to become England manager if the Football Association decided to sack Fabio Capello.

However, it is understood the delay in Hodgson being appointed to his new role had nothing to do with him waiting to see what happened with England.

One of Hodgson’s first jobs at Anfield will be to ratify Yossi Benayoun’s move to Chelsea after the clubs agreed a fee in the region of £6m for the Israeli midfielder.

Liverpool Echo Link
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3372 
      Reply #25: Jun 30, 2010 12:56:08 am
      I sense yor humour mate but on a serious note, he is not the worst manager. I would have him 10x over the likes of O'Neill.

He is an intelligent man and might not be able to buy or keep the world beaters but he will bring stability to our rocking boat and at the moment that is what we need. Who is saying that any other manager apart from Kenny would be able to keep Stevie and Nando? I actually think Stevie will like playing for Hodgson. He and Danny Murphy are boss mates and I bet Danny has text him saying you got a good one, give him a chance.

I'm well up for giving him a chance mate.

It's no secret that he wasn't my first choice, but I'm certainly not writing him off. What he did at Fulham over the past two seasons is exceptional given their resources. Getting them into Europe is a difficult task in itself and then taking them to the UEFA Cup final was way above what anybody expected of them. I think he's a good manager.

As for him keeping the best, well nobody should need convincing to stay at England's most successful club and England's most successful club in Europe. Players should be F***ing honoured to be here and should be begging to stay, not looking to be convinced. We're Liverpool Football Club for fucks sake, they should be grateful. And even some of our greatest managers couldn't keep some of our best players, Paisley couldn't persuade Keegan to stay - so what. Fagan couldn't persuade Souness to stay - so what. Dalglish couldn't persuade Rush to stay - persuaded him to come back though. Benitez couldn't persuade Alonso to stay - so what.

Players will always leave, the club will remain. And so many of the players want out anyway before Hodgson has had a chance to convince them to stay. Benayoun, Mascherano and a few others have already got their hearts set on moves away. So let them go.

And he won't be able to convince other world stars to come because we won't be able to afford them.

I hope Roy does perform miracles and gets us playing with passion again. That'd be enough for me this season to just see my club, my players, play with some pride and passion for the shirt. No matter who was given the job, even if Rafa kept it, winning the League was gonna be a long off dream given the ownership position and even breaking back into the top four is gonna be difficult.

So if Hodgson can get us playing with passion and fighting for one another. He'll do for me for now.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #26: Jun 30, 2010 12:57:54 am
      Regardless of his managerial experience etc, i must say i have always liked this fella since he kept Fulham up that season when they were on the brink of relegation. At one point they were 2-0 down to city at half time at eastlands, and had to win to stay up, and they did 3-2.
      Then went on to stay up, and have grown in strength since, and even got further in the uefa cup than us, an experienced european side, last season.

Seems like a really nice fella, welcome to Liverpool FC

You'll Never Walk Alone
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #27: Jun 30, 2010 12:58:02 am
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #28: Jun 30, 2010 12:59:29 am
      i wanted roy from the start he ticks all the boxes for me . cant wait to see him on the touch line in pre season cant wait pre season . lfc tv .
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #29: Jun 30, 2010 12:59:47 am
      Welcome to Liverpool Roy. I will be 100% behind you from the start, as will most Liverpool fans.

Best of luck and I hope you can somehow steer our club in the right direction, which is looking impossible under the current owners.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3372 
      Reply #30: Jun 30, 2010 01:00:21 am
      Regardless of his managerial experience etc, i must say i have always liked this fella since he kept Fulham up that season when they were on the brink of relegation. At one point they were 2-0 down to city at half time at eastlands, and had to win to stay up, and they did 3-2.
      Then went on to stay up, and have grown in strength since, and even got further in the uefa cup than us, an experienced european side, last season.

Seems like a really nice fella, welcome to Liverpool FC

You'll Never Walk Alone

And if I remember rightly it was ex-Liverpool man Danny Murphy who got the goal that eventually secured their Premiership status. Shows Roy and Liverpool already have some good connections.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #31: Jun 30, 2010 01:01:17 am
      I'm well up for giving him a chance mate.

Sorry mate, I thought it was tongue in cheek. I have heard enough bad press againt Roy Hodgson on here from some decent posters but to be fair I know you don't beat around the bush.

Quality post by the way though mate.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #32: Jun 30, 2010 01:03:17 am
      And if I remember rightly it was ex-Liverpool man Danny Murphy who got the goal that eventually secured their Premiership status. Shows Roy and Liverpool already have some good connections.

I actually think that Hodgson wife is Scouse as well.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3372 
      Reply #33: Jun 30, 2010 01:04:51 am
      I actually think that Hodgson wife is Scouse as well.

So he has a bitter for a wife (she's Scouse and we all know no Scouse supports Liverpool  :f_tongueincheek:), can't be perfect can he?

Seriously though, if his wife is Scouse, then things just seem to be getting better.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #34: Jun 30, 2010 01:05:50 am
      So by all backing roy as manager does that mean an end to the boycott of home games?

How do we as fans back him when we are not attending games?
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #35: Jun 30, 2010 01:12:48 am
      I'm trying to look forward to this. I'm a little bit relieved we have someone at the helm now. Let's get rid of the players who want to leave, get in some players that want to play for us and get stuck into the new season. Hopefully the owners will be gone at some point next season so we can all start going to games again.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #36: Jun 30, 2010 01:13:41 am
      He wasn't my first choice but as i said before he's the best English manager about right now.

Best of luck, you have my 100% backing as all Liverpool managers are giving.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #37: Jun 30, 2010 01:23:51 am
      So by all backing roy as manager does that mean an end to the boycott of home games?

How do we as fans back him when we are not attending games?
      The proposed boycotts are targetted at the owners.not manager or players.they will understand this,and I'm sure most of them will understand it.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #38: Jun 30, 2010 02:08:39 am
      F**k this I'm supporting Inter.

No July 15th take-over now, that's a dead cert.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #39: Jun 30, 2010 02:11:53 am
      Well this is the start of a new chapter in our history, It's been twelve years since we had an English manager now we have one again. Many people including myself have been skeptical as to whether Roy is the right man for the job and most of those doubts have been mentioned now.

But we should respect what Hodgson has done so far, he's had some fantastic achievements in his albeit unorthodox career.Most notably what he's done with Fulham is nothing less than a transformation, he'll know that the expectations are much higher here and that he's taken on an enormous task with seemingly endless difficulties to deal with.

There's positives to be seen though, I've got some optimism that Purslow and the gang must have promised him some kind of transfer fund, whether it be 10 million or about 2 million. They clearly didn't trust Rafa as much as we did so now is the time for them to inject some cash if they have any ambition whatsoever. Also it's clear that we've got a very adaptable manager who can bring stability and a successful brand of football not to mention he's an incredibly likable guy skilled in many languages.

I'm sure the majority will put their doubts aside and give him the full backing that he deserves.
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 30, 2010 02:20:08 am
      I've been firmly behind Roy from the get go. He's seems like a really down to earth, experienced manager who will do his job. Great appointment, can't wait to see the press conference tomorrow.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #41: Jun 30, 2010 02:24:25 am
       Welcome and good luck Roy Hodgson! You have what it takes mate!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #42: Jun 30, 2010 02:26:48 am
      Well this is the start of a new chapter in our history, It's been twelve years since we had an English manager now we have one again. Many people including myself have been skeptical as to whether Roy is the right man for the job and most of those doubts have been mentioned now.

But we should respect what Hodgson has done so far, he's had some fantastic achievements in his albeit unorthodox career.Most notably what he's done with Fulham is nothing less than a transformation, he'll know that the expectations are much higher here and that he's taken on an enormous task with seemingly endless difficulties to deal with.

There's positives to be seen though, I've got some optimism that Purslow and the gang must have promised him some kind of transfer fund, whether it be 10 million or about 2 million. They clearly didn't trust Rafa as much as we did so now is the time for them to inject some cash if they have any ambition whatsoever. Also it's clear that we've got a very adaptable manager who can bring stability and a successful brand of football not to mention he's an incredibly likable guy skilled in many languages.

I'm sure the majority will put their doubts aside and give him the full backing that he deserves.
      Mate he will get the backing of the supporters,but as for purslime and the owners forget it.He will die by his failure to deliver a 4thplace spot.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #43: Jun 30, 2010 02:33:54 am
      Welcome and good luck Roy Hodgson! You have what it takes mate!
      I've been firmly behind Roy from the get go. He's seems like a really down to earth, experienced manager who will do his job. Great appointment, can't wait to see the press conference tomorrow.
      I hope you are right,but I await your'e comments,come December.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #44: Jun 30, 2010 02:39:04 am
      Yay.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #45: Jun 30, 2010 02:44:20 am
      The only relief I can see out of this situation is that we have a manager now and that role has been fulfilled.

I am a bit sceptical about his ability to take the club forward at 63 years of age and when most coaches are looking to wind down their coaching careers his trophy cabinet is all but too baron for my liking. However as I said in an earlier post a club with so much turmoil in the board can not expect a manager of high credibility and calibre, so kudos to you Roy for stepping up in the hot seat.

Well Ill wish him all the best now and support the team and whoever will be wearing that red shirt. I will also sit back and watch with great interest the media's reaction to Roy's managerial performance seeing that he is the best England has to offer and they were ever so quick to bash Rafa with any stick.

Quick Reply