Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

It Happened : We're Linked to Danny Murphy [Fulham] and 3 others

Read 6183 times
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      It Happened : We're Linked to Danny Murphy [Fulham] and 3 others
      Jul 01, 2010 12:52:02 am
      Roy Hodgson will be handed an initial transfer budget of £15m when he completes his move to Liverpool.

The Englishman has already drawn up a list of targets and Javier Mascherano’s proposed £25m move to Barcelona and Yossi Benayoun’s £6m transfer to Chelsea will further boost his spending power.
      Approaches for Gilberto Silva, Brede Hangeland and Rafael van der Vaart are high on Hodgson's wish-list, with an Anfield return for Danny Murphy also under consideration.

Should Mascherano finally be granted his wish to join Barcelona, former Arsenal midfield anchor man Silva would prove a ready-made replacement, after underlining his enduring worth for Brazil at the World Cup and being made available by Panathinaikos, due to the financial crisis in Greece.

One-time Arsenal target Hangeland would readily follow Hodgson to Anfield, as would Murphy, while new Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho would not stand in Van der Vaart's way, as he bids to make his mark at the Bernabeu.
      Hodgson was already celebrating an early breakthrough yesterday after Milan Jovanovic finally confirmed he is bound for Anfield.

Former Anfield boss Benitez reached a pre-contract agreement with Jovanovic, but the Standard Liege frontrunner appeared to cast doubt over it during Serbia's World Cup campaign.

After scoring Serbia's winner against Germany, he hinted he was ready to consider other offers, following expressions of interest from Olympiakos and Benitez's new club Inter Milan.

Liverpool remained unmoved by the speculation and insisted they had a 'watertight' agreement for the 29-year old to become a Liverpool player after the expiry of his contract with Belgian side Standard.

Jovanovic finally ended the uncertainty by revealing he had signed a three-year contract at Anfield and underlining his eagerness to make a favourable impression on Hodgson.

'I am going to Liverpool, and I have signed there for three years,' he said. 'It is a real contract, not just a pre-agreement, and the departure of Benitez changes nothing. I have maintained contact with the Liverpool board throughout the summer, and everything is good. Everything is in order (for a work permit) because, over the past two years, I have played in 75 per cent of the national side's games.

'I am already house-hunting in the Liverpool area. I will join up with the squad at their training camp in Switzerland in the middle of July, and I will make sure I go there in good shape. From Thursday, I will start my individual training programme, so I can prove to the manager straightaway that I am worth a place in the side.'

@mods I know the title is unconventional, but I felt it was necessary given our circumstances.
      p.s. as always, the link to the source is in the title.
      « Last Edit: Jul 01, 2010 01:06:56 am by cezar_sl »
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Re: It Happened : We're Linked to Danny Murphy [Fulham] and 3 others
      Reply #1: Jul 01, 2010 12:55:13 am
      Seems like a load of rubbish, the only player we should be interested in out of those is VDV, the others are too old and not worth it IMO.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Jul 01, 2010 01:06:57 am
      If Mascherano leaves and Toure joins City (which it looks like has done), Gilberto Silva may well be the only realistic option left for the CDM position. I can't see that we're going to spend a lot of money in that area.

Danny Murphy? Please. (Sarcastic).

Van Der Vaart? Please. (I'd actually really like him here).
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 01, 2010 01:10:43 am
      A one year contract to Murphy then play-as-you-play wouldn't bother me, as we need to meet the home grown quote this season.
      Hangeland doesn't really have a place here, unless we sell one of our CBs for more than we'd get him for, but seeing as only Agger and Skrtel could generate that kind of money, and they have 4-5 years over him, I'd say it's bad business.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 01, 2010 01:11:23 am
      If Mascherano leaves and Toure joins City (which it looks like has done), Gilberto Silva may well be the only realistic option left for the CDM position. I can't see that we're going to spend a lot of money in that area.

Danny Murphy? Please. (Sarcastic).

Van Der Vaart? Please. (I'd actually really like him here).

Lucas?
      Aquilani?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jul 01, 2010 01:14:00 am

Well that would all depend on how Roy is going to set us up I suppose.

Van Der Vaart would be a great option due to his ability of playing in several positions. I'd certainly sell Babel and Riera for example to buy Rafael.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jul 01, 2010 01:20:04 am
      This was inevitable.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 01, 2010 01:21:43 am
      Well that would all depend on how Roy is going to set us up I suppose.

Van Der Vaart would be a great option due to his ability of playing in several positions. I'd certainly sell Babel and Riera for example to buy Rafael.
      He's not really that good on the flanks, as the WC has proven. He'll basically be Aqui's rotation.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 01, 2010 01:26:49 am
      What concerns me is not the quality of this players, but their age :
      Hangeland - 29
      Murphy - 33
      Silva - 33
      Jova - 29
      van der Vaart - 27 (ok, he's at his prime), but at most you'll get 3 good seasons from him. Also had some knee problems when he was younger, so no Maldini-longevity from him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #9: Jul 01, 2010 01:27:44 am
      Hangeland - 29
      Murphy - 33
      Silva - 33
      Jova - 29
      van der Vaart - 27 (ok, he's at his prime), but at most you'll get 3 good seasons from him. Also had some knee problems when he was younger, so no Maldini-longevity from him.

Beat me to it. Was just thinking is he planning on turning us into an old squad that are now past their peak.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 01, 2010 01:34:42 am
      Beat me to it. Was just thinking is he planning on turning us into an old squad that are now past their peak.
      When we have Insua, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Aquilani, Lucas, Torres, N'Gog, Babel, Mascherano, who are all <26, not to mention the youngsters like Kelly, Shelvey, Pacheco, Ayala etc., it seems stupid to buy all these old folks.

It would be OK if, for example, we bought an experienced LB, an area we lack, to take some pressure off Insua, but buying old players in positions we have good cover, like CB and CM, is a big step back.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #11: Jul 01, 2010 01:35:29 am
      I'd take VDV, but I wouldn't want the rest. Anyone who actually wants Danny Murphy back here is speaking sentimentally.

Oh, and £25M for Masch!? I'd take no less than £35M.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #12: Jul 01, 2010 01:37:33 am

Oh, and £25M for Masch!? I'd take no less than £35M.

Unfortunately we are in no position to try and dictate the fee because of his contract running out, it will be that or lose him for free the following year. Although in hindsight we may as well just wait to lose him on a free because be it Roy in charge or not the manager wont see a penny of that transfer fee regardless of what is being rumored about how much he will get to spend.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #13: Jul 01, 2010 07:45:37 am
      I would take Brede as he is 29 and a good defender and can be cover for JC23 when he retires.

VDV in a heart bear

DM no thanks
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #14: Jul 01, 2010 08:28:48 am
      Gilberto? No thanks.

Danny Murphy? Love the guy, but no thanks.

Hangeland? No thanks.

Van Der Vaart? Yes please.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Jul 01, 2010 09:21:56 am
      Hangeland - 29
      Murphy - 33
      Silva - 33
      Jova - 29

Or maybe the papers made it all up  ;)
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #16: Jul 01, 2010 09:27:29 am
      We are going to have to sell a hell of a lot of the first team, reserves and youth before Danny Murphy gets a game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Jul 01, 2010 09:55:54 am
      I posted in here a few weeks back when the rumours of Hodgson started that we'd be linked with super Dan and I wouldnt mind him being brought back to do a Gary Mac type job!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #18: Jul 01, 2010 10:07:03 am
      Danny Murphy...

Come on now. Please.  He might look good in a Fulham team but he didn't look good in an even more average Liverpool team years ago when he wasn't the age he was now.

Thoroughly depressed.

Whilst I agree that Mascherano is replaceable to an extent - if, and it's a big if, we keep a fit Aquilani, a Gerrard and Lucas then I would much rather transfer funds (if they ever materialised) to be spent elsewhere - strengthening our attack and wings.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #19: Jul 01, 2010 10:12:32 am
      How long before Zamora is linked
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #20: Jul 01, 2010 10:50:20 am
      How long before Zamora is linked
      I'm sure I read us linked to Zamora yesterday.

Apparently the club store have an excess number of Z's left over for shirt name printing so it could make financial sense.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #21: Jul 01, 2010 10:58:40 am
      We could use all our trnasfer money and sign him.  Waskwily Woy signs Zamowa
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #22: Jul 01, 2010 12:49:54 pm
      What about Klass Jan Huntelar

Quick Reply