Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Torres pleased with Hodgson

Read 2965 times
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Jul 04, 2010 09:00:55 pm
      Not sure what to make of this, no mention of looking forward to working with Hodgson but encouraging words :).

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has revealed he is pleased with the appointment of Roy Hodgson.

Former Fulham manager Hodgson was unveiled as the new boss at Anfield last week, following the departure of Rafa Benitez at the end of the season.

Liverpool had a disappointing campaign last term and they slumped to a seventh-placed finish in the Premier League as well as exiting the UEFA Champions League at the group stage.

Hodgson faces a battle to keep Torres and captain Steven Gerrard at the club, as the pair have been strongly linked with moves away.

Torres, who is currently preparing for Spain's World Cup semi-final with Germany, would not discuss his future, but was pleased at the appointment of the experienced tactician.

He said: "I was happy he (Hodgson) got the job. I haven't had a chat with him yet but I will talk with him soon and we will see his ideas about the future.

"For now, my future is here. South Africa and the World Cup is too important to think about things after that.

"I have a very important week still here and after that I will have time to talk with him and talk about my future.

"He did really well at Fulham and I am sure he can do better for Liverpool. He is a very good manager. He showed that in the past and in the last season with Fulham.

"Hopefully he will be the right man to give Liverpool the opportunity to be strong again."

Torres also admitted that he will pick the brains of club team-mates Gerrard and Jamie Carragher about the strengths of Germany, as the pair were part of the England squad that fell to Joachim Low's men in the second round.

Advice
      "Germany have not surprised me. I am a big fan of German football. I know all of their players," he added.

"I think the German people weren't expecting them to play as good as they have been playing.

"But I was sure they would always be there or thereabouts. They are always in the final or semi-finals.

"They are a very good team. I have spoken to Stevie and Jamie, not about Germany - but I am sure in the next few days I will."

The 26-year-old star striker has not been on top form during the World Cup, having only just recovered from injury before the start of the tournament.

Torres admits he has been frustrated with his own performances but is determined to improve.

He said: "It is a difficult tournament for me because my fitness is not the best but I am improving every game.

"I am happy for the things I did in the game against Paraguay in the quarter-finals and in the last game as well.

"I am feeling better but I still have to improve - obviously.

"I have to accept my role in this tournament. I didn't arrive in the best moment especially in terms of fitness especially after two lots of surgery.

"But I am happy with the things I am doing and hopefully the manager and the team as well."
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6244789,00.html
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Re: Torres pleased with Hodgson
      Reply #1: Jul 04, 2010 09:04:29 pm
      Big fan of German football hey?

Well work your charm and get us Mueller
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Jul 04, 2010 09:05:18 pm
      Read this but he is not really going to say anything different when the question was put to him is he.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope he stays and manages to stay fully fit for the season and Roy manages to buy some proper back up for him so that when he is injured and needs a rest we don't have to play him.
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 04, 2010 09:28:57 pm
      I'm glad the lad has come out and said something! Come on 'Nando, stay with us!
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #4: Jul 04, 2010 09:31:30 pm
      These words are encouraging. Torres wants to do well with Liverpool. He is happy at Liverpool and his family are settled here. Im sure he will have a good chat with the manager and then go away on holiday before preparing for the new season. We need someone to help him upfront and I am sure Roy recognizes this. I fully expect Torres and Gerrard to stay.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #5: Jul 04, 2010 09:37:48 pm
      Wish he could just give us an indication on his future instead of using the bollocks of "i'm focusing on the world cup for now" We pay his wages so we are entitled to an answer at the least.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #6: Jul 04, 2010 10:28:05 pm
      C'mon Nando, you know you want to stay here.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,040 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #7: Jul 04, 2010 10:34:52 pm
      These words are encouraging. Torres wants to do well with Liverpool. He is happy at Liverpool and his family are settled here. Im sure he will have a good chat with the manager and then go away on holiday before preparing for the new season. We need someone to help him upfront and I am sure Roy recognizes this. I fully expect Torres and Gerrard to stay.

Not being funny but how can you say its encouraging words from Torres?. World Cup or not, he should just come out and say he's staying with liverpool irrespective as to what happens in the World Cup. Is his contract due to run out?? if not i can't see why he's waiting for the World Cup to finish, there shouldn't be a issue. I was told tonite ( allegedly ) from a very good source Gerrard has played his last game :-\ I certainly hope the info is wrong for the good of most of the supporters. Last year was bad enough and you don't want another like that.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #8: Jul 05, 2010 12:17:20 am
      How many times has he said he isnt going anywhere??

The lad cant reassure us every bloody week- he has never said he is unhappy at liverpool, he has never said his family are unsettled, he has never said he would leave to play champions league footie-

Just because every transfer season a few clubs put bids in for him- doesnt mean he is intrested in a move.

I believe he will stay- You cant say like you feel like you have lived in Liverpool your whole life- then piss off somewhere else!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #9: Jul 05, 2010 12:25:42 am
      Not confident.

Not confident at all.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 05, 2010 12:26:17 am
      boy wants to concentrate on the world cup.. it would be wrong for the spanish ppl if he came out and talked about liverpool future.. im glad he is focusing one thing at a time..

i think he will stay... for 1 more season unless we will the league or we have new owners installed... serious ones.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #11: Jul 05, 2010 11:16:03 am
      Torres is obviously going to be pleased with Hodgson, can't exactly say anything else.

Right from the start of the tournament he's always said he's going to be focusing on the WC and nothing else. I believe he will stay, for one more season at least. Even if there are any doubts i hope Pepe's having a few words with him and convincing him to stay.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Jul 05, 2010 11:51:40 am
      Let's face it if Torres says nothing then people will read something into that but when he does say something people especially the press read into it what they want so it doesn't really matter what anyone does or doesn't say.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Jul 05, 2010 12:48:09 pm
      With the speculation today it shows what was supposedly said yesterday is worthless.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #14: Jul 05, 2010 01:02:16 pm
      he has not stated he will leave though?
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #15: Jul 05, 2010 01:03:32 pm
      The doubters should read his book, this lad is honest and loyal and has no need to move for money. I truly believe as long as he is happy that we can compete on the pitch he will stay, and he certainly wouldnt insult us by signing for city or the Chavs, im certain of that.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #16: Jul 05, 2010 02:05:45 pm
      "For now, my future is here. South Africa and the World Cup is too important to think about things after that.

Is Torres referring his future to be at Liverpool? Or is he referring to the World Cup? In a sense that he wants to only concentrate on the World Cup?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #17: Jul 05, 2010 02:23:30 pm
      Not confident.

Not confident at all.

My thoughts too, just like Gerrard did he has skirted around stating whether he would like to work with Hodgson completely! this is getting quite annoying now.

Quote from Torres "I was happy he (Hodgson) got the job. I haven't had a chat with him yet but I will talk with him soon and we will see his ideas about the future.

About who he wants out maybe?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #18: Jul 05, 2010 03:36:08 pm
      As each day goes along, I am becoming less and less confident that he will stay. When he says he want to meet with Roy, that dosen't suggest to me that he wants to stay. I am not saying that means he will leave but I wish he would just come out and deny the rumours, one way or another.

Just wondering, would Roy ever do what Rafa did and meet players who are at the World Cup. I mean, Rafa met with Stevie and Carra when they were on English duty, when he took over ???
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #19: Jul 05, 2010 04:50:00 pm
      Wish he could just give us an indication on his future instead of using the bollocks of "I'm focusing on the world cup for now" We pay his wages so we are entitled to an answer at the least.

Leave the guy alone he is away on duty for his country with a chance of lifting the greatest prize in football.. if he wins he will be on a high and a year without champions league football wont seem so bad. Lets have a bit of faith in the lad, i know we are desperate but all will be answered in due time.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: Jul 05, 2010 04:54:40 pm
      Wished it was as easy as what Agger and Reina did. Just come out and say they're committed.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Jul 05, 2010 08:47:16 pm
      He may be.
      Keeping the door at LFC open.

....but Rafas 7th position means Wigan, Stoke, Sunderland until this time next year * instead of Barcelona and Milan, is the best Torres can hope for.

*If we are lucky .....hey Woy?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #22: Jul 05, 2010 09:44:14 pm
      Just hope he stays......
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #23: Jul 05, 2010 09:58:16 pm
      god a lot of doubters here.

He has never said hes leaving, he signed a new deal last season.

He s staying, just all chilax.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5010 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24: Jul 05, 2010 11:29:48 pm
      If he wants to go fine just put a £100m price tag next to his name, Should scare off a few admirers.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #25: Jul 06, 2010 09:10:59 am
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/7873782/Chelseas-Roman-Abramovich-heads-to-South-Africa-to-capture-50m-Fernando-Torres.html

Abramovich Has Gone To Get Torres.

Chelsea's Roman Abramovich heads to South Africa to capture £50m Fernando Torres
      Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has flown to South Africa to try to secure the signing of Fernando Torres for a British record of £50 million.

By Jason Burt in Durban and Rory Smith
      Published: 6:15AM BST 06 Jul 2010
      Fernando Torres - Chelsea chairman Roman Abramovich flies to South Africa to capture £50m Fernando Torres

The extraordinary fee still falls short of Liverpool's £70 million valuation of their prize asset in what is set to be a summer of turmoil at Anfield. Javier Mascherano is also understood to be adamant that he wants to leave and Steven Gerrard is still attracting very strong interest from Real Madrid.

Abramovich's presence here shows how seriously Chelsea are taking their pursuit of Torres, who is hoping to keep his place in the Spain side for Tuesday's semi-final in Durban against Germany despite a series of indifferent displays in the tournament.

Their interest will, probably, be rivalled by Manchester City but the allure of playing Champions League football makes them the favourites to secure Torres who wants to remain in England should he leave Liverpool.

Barcelona are also interested but they are struggling to raise the funds while the 27 year-old is unsure he wants to return to Spain yet.

Despite a stream of denials by Torres's agents Bahía Internacional – including a statement yesterday by his agent Juan Antonio Martín – both Chelsea and City have been led to believe that he wants to leave this summer.

However because Chelsea are set to bid below the valuation anticipated by Liverpool, it may mean Torres will have to push for a move which could make things messy.

Earlier this year, City's football administrator, Brian Marwood, is understood to have reached an informal agreement by which a bid would be mounted if the club finished in the top four, and qualified for the Champions League, although their hopes have receded. However they will attempt to rival Chelsea for Torres's signature, especially having already acquired David Silva from Valencia as part of a huge spending spree this summer which has also led to the arrival of Yaya Touré and Jerome Boateng.

Torres laid down a marker in what is turning into a protracted exit strategy when he said he wanted Liverpool to recruit half a dozen high-calibre players this summer to avoid last season's disappointment.

But he has said he will speak to new manager Roy Hodgson before resolving his future.

Liverpool have already sold Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea for £5.5 million but the departure of Torres would represent a significant admission by the club that they are struggling to compete especially if Mascherano – who is wanted by Rafael Benítez at Inter Milan – also leaves.

Matters are, of course, complicated by Liverpool's limited finances and the attempts to sell the club by their American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Abramovich was in South Africa for the start of the World Cup but has now returned to show Torres and his representatives how serious his intent is.

He is hoping to meet with Torres' agents over the next few days. A source close to the deal said last night that the Chelsea owner was "pushing very hard" to complete the deal.

Liverpool meanwhile are believed to be monitoring Maynor Figueroa, Wigan's Honduran international left-back. The 27 year-old, who has spent two seasons at the DW Stadium, is expected to leave for around £6 million this summer but wishes to remain in England.

Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager who brought Figueroa to the Premier League, attempted to take the player to the Stadium of Light in January and is expected to renew his interest, but may face competition as Hodgson looks to bolster his defence.

Hodgson has just £12.5 million to spend and inherited one senior left back, the inexperienced Argentine international, Emiliano Insúa.

Hodgson, the former Fulham manager, has also been linked with a move for former Arsenal midfielder Gilberto Silva, currently with Panathinaikos, while Joe Ledley, whose contract at Cardiff City has expired, is also thought to be under consideration.

PS. It works JD  [ ]    !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Jul 06, 2010 09:37:23 am
      More crap paper talk.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #27: Jul 06, 2010 11:51:55 am
      Ignore the Torres story in the Telegraph. Jason Burt is a chav who has linked Chelski endlessly with players they don't buy such as Aguero and Ribery who clearly stated he would never play in England. The simple fact is the Mail quoted Torres's agent as saying he would be in the EPL but not necessarily at LFC but today has said the reason he doesn't talk to the press is because of stories like this and that any chat with Torres will be after the world cup. The use of the word probably and sources gives it away.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #28: Jul 06, 2010 08:20:30 pm
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #29: Jul 06, 2010 08:30:16 pm
      The seems to be less commitment to the club from our players !

Quick Reply