Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Five things Roy Hodgson must do to succeed at Liverpool

Read 2707 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Five things Roy Hodgson must do to succeed at Liverpool
      Jul 03, 2010 01:37:48 am
      5 Things Roy Hodgson must do to succeed at Liverpool FC
      1. Convince Gerrard, Carragher, Torres and Mascherano to stay at Anfield

Only one piece of Liverpool's uncertain future was resolved yesterday, and Hodgson showed where the next priority lies by heading off to meet Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher as soon as his public unveiling at Anfield was over. Calls to Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano will soon follow. Hodgson injected refreshing honesty, reason and a keen sense of Liverpool's history and potential into his first press conference as manager, all of which should appeal to the stellar names who have grown tired not only at the lack of investment in top players, but the broken promises from the Anfield hierarchy.

What he cannot offer to Gerrard, Torres et al, however, is the assurance that the club has the means to compete for major prizes. "It is not words Stevie wants; it's actions," he said. "He wants to see other players of his quality being signed by the club and, of course, he is wise enough to know that I cannot give him that guarantee and he wouldn't respect me if I was trying to give him some line of bullshit that he would see through."

2. Reconstruct the squad by making at least five summer signings

Hodgson may want Brede Hangeland at Anfield and, as Liverpool's defending at set pieces last season testified, he does need a defender who is commanding in the air, but he discounted talk of exploiting any fallout at his old club bysigning the Norwegian. "I had a wonderful time at Fulham and I made clear to the chairman here that I don't want to raid Fulham Football Club because that wouldn't be the correct thing to do." A classy, dignified touch. But there is plenty of reconstruction required even if the celebrated spine of the Liverpool team remains. A left-back, centre-half, wide midfielders and quality support and/or cover for Torres are needed to improve the seventh best team in the Premier League last season. There is plenty of excess in an overblown Liverpool squad to improve Hodgson's modest transfer budget, although there are no guarantees he will get every penny should he manage to sell the likes of Albert Riera, Ryan Babel and Philipp Degen this summer.

3. Deal with the financial and ownership problems

Just about every facet of life at Liverpool since Tom Hicks and George Gillett saddled the club with mountainous debt, is shaped by the Americans' dysfunctional ownership. There is, as Hodgson appeared surprised to discover, no escape from that depressing reality. "It's disappointing when, on your first day as Liverpool manager, financial matters take precedence over football matters," said. There was grist to the mill of those who argue Hodgson has been appointed to spare the Liverpool hierarchy the scrutiny and criticism that was such a part of Rafael Benítez's final years in charge. "The ownership issue will be above my head at all times and is not something that particularly bothers me," he said. While chairman Martin Broughton admitted: "We need somebody to steady the ship at this stage." Hodgson accepted he could lose his job in the event of a takeover, but believes his abilities should render a change unnecessary.

4. Establish a working relationship with Dalglish and decide on his staff

Kenny Dalglish told the Liverpool board he wanted the manager's job, having been asked to oversee the process with the managing director, Christian Purslow, on the basis that he was the best qualified man for the post. Broughton issued what, to a man of Dalglish's standing, appeared a public rebuke. "Kenny wanted the job but he was never a candidate," the chairman said. Hodgson had no problems with the fans' favourite working in the background and offering him a new title of Head of Football Development, and Dalglish has publicly backed the manager. "I look very favourably on the appointment," he told the Daily Mail. "I have known Roy a long time and have a great respect for him. We've not had detailed conversations yet but my interests are in Liverpool." Hodgson was unable to provide assurances that Sammy Lee, the assistant manager under Benítez, would remain. "The backroom staff is something we will think about over the next few days," he said, although there was confirmation that the chief scout, Eduardo Maciá, will stay.

5. Keep the supporters onside – which means building a successful team

Liverpool supporters are, roughly speaking, divided between those who fear Hodgson will say nothing while the club is asset-stripped and those who believe his calm, dignified stature makes him the ideal appointment in troubled times. All, however, will give the new man their support when Arsenal arrive at Anfield on the opening day of the season. "I don't know what the reaction will be," Hodgson said. "But the Liverpool fans have always backed the manager, the club and the team and I don't see why I shouldn't expect a good reception." Supporters' ire is currently directed at Purslow. The man Benítez identified as being behind his departure was the subject of graffiti found on Anfield's walls this morning. Reaction to Hodgson's press conference yesterday has been overwhelmingly positive but, as he said himself of Gerrard's situation, it is actions, not words, that count.

Link
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2010 09:38:26 pm by CRK, Reason: Tidied up a bit »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Five things Roy Hodgson must do to succeed at Liverpool
      Reply #1: Jul 03, 2010 04:36:26 am
      2 +3 = out of hs hands

5 = they should be any way
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Jul 03, 2010 09:51:38 pm
      I think a lot of the factors mentioned there aren't as simple as the papers make out.

1 - Mascherano has probably decided already and the others (any of the players in fact) could be sold to finance the club and made to look like they wanted out. (See comments of Broughton that we don't need to sell, etc.) In all honesty, what manager in his right mind would want to sell players such as those? If they go, we all know who's behind it.

2 - There's F**k all in terms of money, and we probably won't sign more players than plays leaving because the Yanks need to bring money in before they can make any available.

3 - Those problems were there when Rafa was here, and Hodgson has been employed by these problems. He's hardly going to sit in front of the cameras and tell the world how sh*t a pair of owners they are. Plus, why would he push the notion of new owners that much when he has admitted he'll probably lose his job in that event?

4 - That's hardly something he'll have to do to succeed. That's something he'll have to do in order to do his job sufficiently. And with regards to Dalglish, there's already been comments from Dalglish and nothing suggests he'll leave. Either way, that's also out of Roy's hands.

5 - No comments needed really. We will be behind him and any sh*t going on at the club is nothing new to us. We know what our good friend's Tom and George are capable of. No problems there Mr Hodgson. ;)
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #3: Jul 04, 2010 04:19:05 pm
      Reading about Roy in the Sunday Mirror this morning and first mistake Roy. You do not need to apologise to Taggart for becoming manager of Liverpool. You are now his enemy and in his way for the 19th. title. Manure are scum to all of our fans and you best learn that pretty quick. The Jockster would stab you right in the back to gain a one point advantage. Take his phone number and chuck it in the river.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Jul 04, 2010 05:53:56 pm
      Reading about Roy in the Sunday Mirror this morning and first mistake Roy. You do not need to apologise to Taggart for becoming manager of Liverpool. You are now his enemy and in his way for the 19th. title. Manure are scum to all of our fans and you best learn that pretty quick. The Jockster would stab you right in the back to gain a one point advantage. Take his phone number and chuck it in the river.

He is friends with him though ? ,can't see any great problem to be honest with what he's done ,i'm sure all of us on here have friends that are Man United fans
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Jul 04, 2010 09:47:53 pm
      I'm sure all of us on here have friends that are Man United fans

Qua ?!

(Since deceased perhaps)

PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2010 12:18:41 am
      He is friends with him though ? ,can't see any great problem to be honest with what he's done ,I'm sure all of us on here have friends that are Man United fans

Don't think so. I got a neg. for that? Friends of United fans. Come live by me. There are no live ones.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2010 12:42:00 am

5 Things Roy Hodgson must do to succeed at Liverpool FC]

1. Convince Torres to stay at Anfield

I have mentioned this before. I reckon we will keep Torres this summer and we have one season to turn things around in order to keep him.

2. Reconstruct the squad by making at least five summer promotions from the youth system
      We will have to largely resort to homegrowns as most of the Gerrard/Mascherano money will go to debt payments.
      We might get some Real Madrid players in the process here but I don't expect a huge purchasing window this summer.
      Unfortunately

3. Deal with the financial and ownership problems
      Not Roy's job but a change of ownership can surely only help his tenure be more successful and banging heads with the owners on a regular basis will only hasten his exit. Ask Rafa

4. Establish a working relationship with Dalglish and decide on his staff
      Absolutely vital that he keeps Dalglish and Sammy. He will need both to maintain continuity and help him understand who to keep and encourage in both the first and youth teams. Maybe one of them can give him a heads up early on when it comes to offloading Riera and allowing Ince a chance later in the season.

5. Keep the supporters onside – which means building a successful team
      If he conducts himself in the true ethos of a Liverpool manager and extracts the best out of his squad (with the help of our new doctor) achieving a top four would be a great achievement for him next season. We are up against teams with a larger amount of squad investment over the last few seasons so I don't think we would crucify him if he failed to win the title. I think in this respect we have all been forced to lower our expectations coming into this season and that in itself will buy him some time.

Quick Reply