Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Hodgson expects Gerrard to stay

Read 3302 times
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Hodgson expects Gerrard to stay
      Jul 08, 2010 11:10:28 am
      Hodgson expects Gerrard stay

Roy Hodgson is delighted that Steven Gerrard gave 'no indication' that he wanted to leave Liverpool this summer and the new Anfield manager anticipates a repeat scenario when he meets with Fernando Torres.

The Reds captain has been linked with Real Madrid following his hometown club's terrible 2009/10 campaign and it has been suggested that he could be ready to sever his connection with the Merseysiders.

Conjecture has implied that England's embarrassing World Cup campaign and off-field rumours in Britain have pushed Gerrard closer to the Bernabeu and long-term admirer Jose Mourinho, who twice tried to sign him when in charge of Chelsea.

But Hodgson does not expect that scenario to develop after meeting with Gerrard, vice-captain Jamie Carragher and Academy ambassador Kenny Dalglish shortly after he was appointed as Liverpool manager last Thursday.

The former Fulham boss told LFC Weekly of the discussions: "I think they went splendidly. I was very happy to meet the players and, of course, Kenny who I already know so well.

"I was delighted to see how positive they are. Everybody is looking forward to the new season."
      Big clubs

He added: "Obviously Steven and Jamie are the playing heartbeat of the club and it's very important we keep people like that with us.

"I anticipate there might be a situation where other big clubs will try and sign Steven, but he gave no indication that he wanted to leave.

"Nobody at the club wants him to go so I will be doing my utmost to make sure he stays. I am confident he will."

There has also been speculation regarding the future of Torres, who is thought to be a target of Manchester City and Chelsea amid mixed messages from his agent.

The out-of-form Spain striker is currently on duty at the World Cup, starting his country's semi-final win over Germany as a substitute, and so Hodgson is planning on holding talks when the forward returns to England.

Despite the delay, Liverpool's manager plans to promote signs of 'progress' and expects that Torres to follow Gerrard in signalling his desire to stay at Anfield.

"Fernando is a wonderful striker and I understand the fans' concerns about his future," said Hodgson.

"Unfortunately with the World Cup still on, I won't be able to meet him face-to-face for another few weeks. That's just circumstance and you won't hear me complaining about it.

"When I do meet him, I will be doing everything I possibly can to convince him that Liverpool is the place to be.

"If he sees progress, I am confident that he won't want to go anywhere else. I think he understands the club and the city."

Meanwhile, Hodgson is planning a new role for Dalglish under his Anfield reign.

He explained: "I never doubted that Kenny would leave. He's been offered a role, which I believe is a crucial role for the club - not just in the short term, but in the long term.

"The club will benefit from Kenny's work long after I've left Liverpool and long after he's left as well.

"He is very aware of all the players at the Academy and I understand there are a few promising players emerging.

"He will liaise between Melwood and Kirkby and keep me updated with any developments that he deems necessary.

"There is a bridge between the Academy and the first team that needs to be created and I believe he can help build that bridge."

Link
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010 12:03:31 pm by Reslivo, Reason: Tidied up post. »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,367 posts | 8618 
      Re: Hodgson expects gerrard to stay
      Reply #1: Jul 08, 2010 11:12:38 am
      Well if Sky Sports think Hodgson expects Gerrard to stay, he's bound to be off then!!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Re: Hodgson expects Gerrard to stay
      Reply #2: Jul 08, 2010 12:26:13 pm
      With a bit of luck he'll stay. However he could have just been keeping what he really thought to himself.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Jul 08, 2010 12:30:55 pm
      More or less the same interview on the official site.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #4: Jul 08, 2010 12:33:28 pm
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #5: Jul 08, 2010 12:48:51 pm
      Good news.

Now I'd like to see the same thing regarding Torres.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #6: Jul 08, 2010 12:58:21 pm
      'He gave no indication he wanted to leave'.

Hardly the world's most ringing endorsement.

So I assume he didn't say.

'I want to stay.'
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2853 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Jul 08, 2010 01:53:32 pm
      well  if he wants to leave be honest and tell the man so he can sell ye and make plans without ye.

Hate all this pr**king about
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #8: Jul 08, 2010 02:09:03 pm
      Was never leaving, those who believed all the crap in the press need their heads looked at !
      RedmanMatt
      • On Trial

• 3 posts | -1 
      Reply #9: Jul 08, 2010 02:10:54 pm
      Just words, look at the words H&G said when they arrived, still believe them???
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,367 posts | 8618 
      Reply #10: Jul 08, 2010 02:11:53 pm
      Was never leaving, those who believed all the crap in the press need their heads looked at !

Why has he said he's staying then.

Why do we need ourt heads looking at by the way, just because some of us don't trust our board as far as we could F***ing throw them. I honestly think if they got a significant offer for Gerrard, they'd snap Real's hands off.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Jul 08, 2010 02:16:41 pm
      Nothing to do with board it's what's in Stevie G's Heart that matters.

I agree 100% with what you guys are saying about the board I don't trust them either.
      But Also think they are not daft either. And selling the club captain is madness.

Was all paper talk & tv pundits stirring sh*t up for our club.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12: Jul 08, 2010 02:18:39 pm
      ps. Remember the BBC Interview at the start of the World cup, when the pundit asked him where he would be next season, Stevie sayed what do you mean ?  pundit said who will you be playing for, Stevie said without hesitation LIVERPOOL !!!

But the BBC never printed that bit.

So all the pish written since then and all the talk was just crap.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #13: Jul 08, 2010 02:22:52 pm
      Just words, look at the words H&G said when they arrived, still believe them???

Dont compare Gerrard with h&g!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,367 posts | 8618 
      Reply #14: Jul 08, 2010 02:22:55 pm
      ps. Remember the BBC Interview at the start of the World cup, when the pundit asked him where he would be next season, Stevie sayed what do you mean ?  pundit said who will you be playing for, Stevie said without hesitation LIVERPOOL !!!

Didn't see it, haven't heard about it.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Jul 08, 2010 02:23:33 pm
      Positive noises which is good. If we keep Stevie and Torres I'll go into next season in a positive frame of mind. But won't be sure they're staying until I see them pull on the jersey for game 1.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #16: Jul 08, 2010 02:28:44 pm
      Well it's better than "I'm off to Madrid" I guess, but for goodness sake Stevie tell us something we don't know!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Jul 08, 2010 02:29:17 pm

I never seen that mate. Any chance of a link or anything?

It is certainly positive words being reported. But, until Gerrard comes out and says it, i will believe nothing.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #18: Jul 08, 2010 02:30:17 pm
      I have seen that article too think it was posted just before the world cup.
      RedmanMatt
      • On Trial

• 3 posts | -1 
      Reply #19: Jul 08, 2010 02:31:09 pm

Im not, Im saying that words mean stuff all in Football and until I hear Stevie say I am not going anywhere with his own mouth they are all just words.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 08, 2010 03:25:18 pm
      Sounds like good news!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #21: Jul 08, 2010 03:37:27 pm
      Good news this. I cannot picture Stevie leaving. I never could.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #22: Jul 08, 2010 04:11:21 pm
      Here's Gerrard saying he wwas not going anywhere before world cup, but BBC did not use the quote ! kunts !

And on to the questions omitted by the BBC’s written report of the interview: “Where does your future lie?” asked the reporter. “What do you mean?” replied the captain.

“In terms of, you know, will you be at Liverpool next season?” clarified the reporter. “Well I’ve got three years left so I will be. Yes.” replied the Liverpool club captain, without any ambiguity at all.

But it won’t stop the speculation – even though he’s made it clear the speculation can be a distraction. And with senior sources so readily willing to fuel speculation to anyone who’ll listen, Liverpool fans know they’ve got plenty more to sift through yet.

Was on Anfield road. http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/201005223669/gerrard-yes-ill-be-at-liverpool-next-season.html/
      mr-dentist
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #23: Jul 08, 2010 04:22:34 pm
      I hope
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,270 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #24: Jul 08, 2010 05:03:16 pm
      Good news lett's hope Torres and Masch stay
      Don77

• 6,600 posts | 1104 
      Reply #25: Jul 08, 2010 05:17:58 pm
      I fully expect Steve and Nando to stay. I hope Mascherano stays but I do not think this will be the case. Although I wonder how his wife will get on in Italy, can she speak Italian? Mascherano is just making excuses. He should come out and tell it like it is. But he does not want to burn his bridges incase it does not happen. Back to Stevie. I believe he know this is a vital time for Liverpool and I do not believe he will leave us when we need him the most. He is a big part of the club and the dressing room. But if he does go we will still be ok as we have been before when others have left. If he does leave he will leave with my best wishes and respect as he has earned it. But I do not believe it will come to that. As for Torres, he loves the club and the city as does his family. I do not trust Broughton with regard to Chelsea but I believe Nando will give us another season minimum as he came to Liverpool to win and I don't think that has changed for him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Jul 08, 2010 05:24:10 pm
      Mascherano is not making it easy for himself. Very much doubt he'll stay so I'd take 30 million for him.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Jul 08, 2010 05:27:26 pm
      I never seen that mate. Any chance of a link or anything?

It is certainly positive words being reported. But, until Gerrard comes out and says it, i will believe nothing.

Here's Gerrard saying he wwas not going anywhere before world cup, but BBC did not use the quote ! kunts !

Was on Anfield road. http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/201005223669/gerrard-yes-ill-be-at-liverpool-next-season.html/

Its on here somehwre I posted the link to teh interview on  I player.
      Jpm3
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #28: Jul 08, 2010 06:30:05 pm
      I hope your right Brezipool! I would feel very confident going into next season with Gerrard still here(hopefully Torres too) it'll be a rebuilding year, but change is good! I will feel a Hell of a lot better as soon as  H&G sell and go away though! YNWA
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 08, 2010 07:23:44 pm
      Well, It's a bit of good news for now. I hope we hear the same about Fernando Torres soon.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,424 posts | 2836 
      Reply #30: Jul 08, 2010 07:29:35 pm
      It's hardly 'Hodgson expects'.

More like 'Hodgson hopes'.

I'd say if we had decent owners and there was funds available then I'd say losing Stevie wouldn't be that bad but with this board and not having a F***ing clue where the 30m will go it's too risky.

He might be starting to lose his legs a tad but he's still quality and even at 30, £30m won't do him justice.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #31: Jul 08, 2010 08:40:22 pm
      The only club trophy Gerrard hasn't won with Liverpool is the Premier League. Surely winning the League in another country wouldn't make up for that! I think he'll stay and try and achieve that with us.

Unless money is the motivating factor, and he just wants a big payrise!!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,270 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #32: Jul 08, 2010 10:00:45 pm
      The only club trophy Gerrard hasn't won with Liverpool is the Premier League. Surely winning the League in another country wouldn't make up for that! I think he'll stay and try and achieve that with us.

Unless money is the motivating factor, and he just wants a big payrise!!
      Money is a strange God
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #33: Jul 09, 2010 05:12:32 am
      Im confident they'll both stay. I like to believe football players CAN be something other than jackdaws and be motivated by something that isn't shiny or money.

Lets see.

Quick Reply