Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Films That Affected You

Read 13361 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: Films That Affected You
      Reply #46: Jul 13, 2010 07:30:52 pm
      Apocalypse Now, lost count how many times I've seen it but could still watch it tonight.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #47: Jul 13, 2010 07:33:32 pm
      Saving Private Ryan choked me up a little.  When the old man is standing in the American cemetery and he asked his wife If he led a good life.
      That was a great scene...

The only movie that ever disturbed me was Seven w/ Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman.   When that box was delivered to them and we find out whats it is......WOW!  Freaked me out for a good 2 weeks. Disturbed.
      I'd go for Saving Private Ryan also, even brought tears to my eyes, and that doesn't happen often in a film.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #48: Jul 13, 2010 07:55:35 pm
      Taxi Driver and The Deer Hunter anyone? Pretty gripping movies.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #49: Jul 13, 2010 08:04:57 pm
      Another film that affected me was Dead Man Walking, with Sean Penn (one of my fav actors) and Susan Sarandon (she won an Oscar for that performance). I don't see many people talking about it but I think it's absolutely fantastic. It tells the real story of a man sentenced to death and his 'spiritual advisor', a Sister who is against death penalty. It's really nice how the film treats the subjects of guilty and redemption, really touched me.

I also agree with Se7en, the final moments were shocking! Great film. I love David Fincher, Fight Club is a film you need to have the DVD and watch many times. But the first one is always the best, I still remember the surprise with how the story developed. Brilliant.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #50: Jul 13, 2010 08:14:48 pm
      Going by what i seen recently,

Hachiko: A Dog's Story - Very sad.

Walk the line - Love Johnny Cash
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #51: Jul 13, 2010 08:18:47 pm
      'Control' - the film about Ian Curtis. Really sad.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Jul 13, 2010 08:22:10 pm

Still haven't seen it, dunno why as I love Joy Division and Ian Curtis. Nice one, I'll put it on my list (yes, I have a list of films I wanna see).
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #53: Jul 13, 2010 08:30:16 pm
      Marley & Me, I know it's not in the same league as most of the films mentioned above but it is a real terker for anyone who has or had a pet.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #54: Jul 13, 2010 09:06:17 pm
      Still haven't seen it, dunno why as I love Joy Division and Ian Curtis. Nice one, I'll put it on my list (yes, I have a list of films I wanna see).

To be honest, I should probably do that too! Too many to remember!

Just seen that The Green Mile is on Sky Movies tonight. 3 hours long!! I've set it to record though. I guess I'll watch it either tonight or some day soon.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #55: Jul 13, 2010 09:10:19 pm
      To be honest, I should probably do that too! Too many to remember!

Just seen that The Green Mile is on Sky Movies tonight. 3 hours long!! I've set it to record though. I guess I'll watch it either tonight or some day soon.

The Green Mile is quality mate, You wil really enjoy it!
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #56: Jul 13, 2010 09:15:07 pm

Good call, Ross. Don't know how this one slipped my mind.

I've never seen The Green Mile either.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #57: Jul 13, 2010 09:16:52 pm
      So I've heard mate! I'll give it a watch and report back.

Another one:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I love the whole thing about love, fate and coincidence etc. Great watch and an interesting film.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #58: Jul 13, 2010 09:34:07 pm
      Can't believe so many haven't seen The Green Mile!

It's one of the few King books which translates well into film, along with Shawshank - I don't think it's any accident that both of them stuck pretty rigidly to the book.

Definitely 2 of my favourites, and worth watching a few times.

I just remembered the film "Crossraods" with Ralph Macchio - cheesy as F**k, but great music :) especially the guitar duel at the end :D
      crossroad guitar duel
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #59: Jul 13, 2010 09:36:54 pm
      I've always really liked Gattaca. It's probably not the best sci fi movie ever made, but it is one of my favourites. It's a movie that stuck with me somehow, makes you think about the future of humanity and genetic enhancement. Actually just found out they're making a tv series out of it, hope they don't screw this up, could be amazing. Ofcourse now I have to mention 2001: A Space Odyssey too, the combination of classical music and space images really hit the right nerve with me, beautiful movie, especially considering how old it is.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #60: Jul 13, 2010 11:32:18 pm
      In the Heat of the Night (1967), made over a decade before I was born.  40 years on and it's still a great film and also socially relevant, which is such a shame.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #61: Jul 13, 2010 11:53:04 pm
      I've watched The Green Mile about 5 times i think and i've cried everytime at the same bit (Eduard Delacroix's talkin to Tom Hanks' character before he is sent for execution)  :f_wah:
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      Reply #62: Jul 14, 2010 12:10:30 am
      And what is it with kids films , i cried in Monsters Inc. when Sully has to give Boo back . I cried in Up when the old mans wife dies . Old Yeller , another Disney film , made me cry and i defy anyone who can get thru that without cryin . ET another kids film to make me cry .
      Ghost , another film that had me bawlin

I'm just a big sook
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #63: Jul 14, 2010 12:13:28 am
      First time I saw Big Daddy I got a bit emotional at the end in the courtroom scene.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #64: Jul 14, 2010 02:17:45 am
      Just finished watching The Green Mile.

Brilliant. Really brilliant. I can definitely see why it's been mentioned in this thread several times.

SPOILER

The only thing I don't quite get though - why did John have to be executed? He was innocent, wasn't he? Or was it for what he did to Wild Billy and Percy / or because he said he'd had enough and he wanted to go?

Edit - Actually, I've just found a good explanation on IMDB:

Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks) had no physical evidence to prove that John was innocent. Just saying that John showed him what really happened through a psychic link wouldn't exactly go over well. John's knowledge of the details would have only convinced a jury that John indeed had committed the crime. Then, Percy (Doug Hutchison) shooting and killing Wild Bill ruined any chance of him ever admitting to the crime.

On a less pragmatic note: John Coffey himself admits that, prisoner or no, his life is one of constant pain and suffering, as a result of his sensitivity to the evil in the world. To quote him directly:

I'm tired boss. [...] Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. [...] It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time.
      After hearing this, Paul came to the conclusion that sending John Coffey to the chair could justifiably be considered an act of kindness.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010 02:22:51 am by Ross »
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      Reply #65: Jul 14, 2010 02:28:56 am
      ^^^^

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT !!!

Exactly ross , after John shows Paul (Tom Hanks) that Wharton (Wild Bill) murdered the two girls, confirming Paul's long-simmering suspicions that John is innocent. Paul  is unsure how to help John, but John tells him not to worry, as he is ready to die anyway, wanting to escape the cruelty of the world.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #66: Jul 14, 2010 02:29:19 am
      Just finished watching The Green Mile.

Brilliant. Really brilliant. I can definitely see why it's been mentioned in this thread several times.

SPOILER

The only thing I don't quite get though - why did John have to be executed? He was innocent, wasn't he? Or was it for what he did to Wild Billy and Percy / or because he said he'd had enough and he wanted to go?

Edit - Actually, I've just found a good explanation on IMDB:

Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks) had no physical evidence to prove that John was innocent. Just saying that John showed him what really happened through a psychic link wouldn't exactly go over well. John's knowledge of the details would have only convinced a jury that John indeed had committed the crime. Then, Percy (Doug Hutchison) shooting and killing Wild Bill ruined any chance of him ever admitting to the crime.

On a less pragmatic note: John Coffey himself admits that, prisoner or no, his life is one of constant pain and suffering, as a result of his sensitivity to the evil in the world. To quote him directly:

I'm tired boss. [...] Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. [...] It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time.
      After hearing this, Paul came to the conclusion that sending John Coffey to the chair could justifiably be considered an act of kindness.

Seen it a few times mate and each time I came to a different conclusion, think it's one of those films that leave the end open to interpretation - still a blinding movie whatever.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #67: Jul 14, 2010 02:39:17 am
      Anyone seen Inception yet? New movie by Nolan, director of Memento, Prestige, Dark Knight etc. It's getting rave reviews. It has a 9.6 rating on imdb, higher than any movie out there. Really interested in hearing if it's really that good, it does seem like a really amazing and epic movie.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #68: Jul 14, 2010 02:43:10 am
      Anyone seen Inception yet? New movie by Nolan, director of Memento, Prestige, Dark Knight etc. It's getting rave reviews. It has a 9.6 rating on imdb, higher than any movie out there. Really interested in hearing if it's really that good, it does seem like a really amazing and epic movie.

Pretty sure I've seen that film advertised a few times though I have no idea when it's out.

Sounds decent though!

Quick Reply