Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Liverpool Play Down Torres Injury

Read 1209 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,451 posts | 8658 
      Liverpool Play Down Torres Injury
      Jul 13, 2010 02:47:41 pm
      Liverpool play down Fernando Torres injury concerns

Liverpool remain hopeful that the groin injury suffered by striker Fernando Torres in Sunday's World Cup final is not as serious as was first feared.

The 26-year-old Spaniard, who missed the end of the 2009-10 season with a knee injury, pulled up towards the end of the 1-0 win over the Netherlands.

Reds doctor Peter Brukner said Spain did not think it was "too serious" but they are waiting on news from a scan.

Meanwhile, midfielder Alberto Aquilani has recovered from his ankle injury.

The 25-year-old Italian, who moved to Anfield from Roma for £20m in August 2009, missed the first two months of the season with the long-standing injury and then endured an indifferent campaign.

Brukner, the Reds newly-appointed head of sports medicine and sports science, confirmed: "Alberto's ankle is 100% healed. He has been training and looked sharp."

Torres endured an injury-plagued season at Anfield last term, making only 32 appearances, although he finished as the Reds top scorer with 22 goals in all competitions.

The Spaniard was troubled by a groin injury before Christmas and underwent surgery on his right knee which forced him to miss most of January and February.

A second operation on the same knee forced him to sit out Liverpool's last four Premier League games and their Europa League semi-final against Atletico Madrid, the club he left for the Merseysiders in 2007.

Torres returned, after a six-week absence, to play for his country in the World Cup finals in South Africa.

But he failed to score in the tournament and was only used as an extra-time substitute in Sunday's final in which Spain beat the Netherlands 1-0 to be crowned world champions for the first time.

He had only been on the pitch for 10 minutes when he had a hand in Andres Iniesta's winning goal, but moments later he was stretchered off with a left adductor injury after pulling up abruptly while chasing a through ball.

Torres has been the subject of much transfer speculation over the summer with Chelsea, Manchester City and Barcelona all being linked with the striker at various points.

However, he was photographed celebrating Spain's World Cup victory with a Liverpool scarf draped around his neck.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8813694.stm
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Liverpool Play Down Torres Injury
      Reply #1: Jul 13, 2010 02:51:06 pm
      This sounds encouraging, now all we need is some decent cover for him (if anyone says Babel I swear I'll flip)  :roll:  ;D
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Jul 13, 2010 03:13:16 pm
      delighted to see him wearing the Liverpool scarf, a true sign his heart is still at this club.Heres a link to picture if anyone hasnt seen it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1293994/Fernando-Torres-dons-Liverpool-scarf-Spains-World-Cup-party-amid-fears-hell-quit-Chelsea.html
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #3: Jul 13, 2010 03:16:29 pm
      This sounds encouraging, now all we need is some decent cover for him (if anyone says Babel I swear I'll flip)  :roll:  ;D

Nemeth? Or do you mean go out and buy someone mate?.
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #4: Jul 13, 2010 03:16:35 pm
      That Amazing to see you think a fan gave him it or he planned it to put the scarf on when lifting the trophy as he's not spoken about his future and that is a statement theat Nando IS staying at Anfield.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5: Jul 13, 2010 03:22:54 pm
      Surely Babel could slide into his position no bother.  >:D

I'm not arsed what they say as long as i see him scoring in a Liverpool shirt this season.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #6: Jul 13, 2010 03:49:53 pm
      Im glad they dont think its as bad as initially thought, but an injury is still an injury.

I think he planned wearing the Liverpool scarf, remember his "you`ll never walk alone" armband?
      He didnt say he was coming to Liverpool- he showed it.

Same with the scarf- lovely to see, and have certainly calmed my nerves!
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #7: Jul 13, 2010 03:52:13 pm
      So glad that aqua is fit.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Jul 13, 2010 09:48:29 pm
      I think we're all praying it's not as bad as we first thought, just get better as soon as, Fernando.

Quick Reply