Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

New Tactics for 2010/2011?

Read 11362 times
      carheex
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 587 posts | -9 
      New Tactics for 2010/2011?
      Jul 18, 2010 05:54:14 pm
      Does anybody know what BrickTop's favoured formation is? Not necessarily just at Fulham but going back a few years aswell. I'm just wondering if certain players will be deemed surplus purely, for example, because he doesn't use wingers/holding midfielders/wingbacks etc etc.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: New Tactics for 2010/2011?
      Reply #1: Jul 18, 2010 06:02:22 pm
      Bricktops favoured use of personnel is feeding them to pigs, hence him owing a pig farm, as pigs will consume 1lb of uncooked human flesh every minute, they will go through bone like butter,  hence the expression as greedy as a pig.

He's not very bright that boy is he Errol. ;D

The tactic for this year is sack our manager, sell off our players and reduce debt or at least that's very much how its looking at the moment.
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010 03:47:39 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jul 18, 2010 09:11:30 pm
      What ever our tactics are going to be i hope they don't involve a left back because at the moment we're up sh*t creek if the tactics do.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #3: Jul 18, 2010 09:12:23 pm
      What ever our tactics are going to be I hope they don't involve a left back because at the moment we're up sh*t creek if the tactics do.

Or a striker as our main one is injured and the back ups ain't good enough.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4: Jul 18, 2010 09:19:08 pm
      Or a striker as our main one is injured and the back ups ain't good enough.

Jovanovic might be good enough.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #5: Jul 18, 2010 09:19:54 pm
      Reina at left back?
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #6: Jul 18, 2010 09:22:46 pm
      Good point!

We need a little positivity!

Im hoping whatever Roys tactics are, he will admit when he has gotten it wrong- and change formation as and when necessary.
      I am also hoping he wont continually use players who are not consistently good, or have never proved themselves to him.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #7: Jul 18, 2010 09:24:56 pm

Might is the word I focus on.

Seriously though I would be happy with the same formation as last season as long as Gerrard is dropped back into midfield and is allowed to pull the strings for the more creative players.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #8: Jul 18, 2010 09:25:34 pm

Might is better than writing him off straight away like.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #9: Jul 18, 2010 09:28:30 pm
      Might is better than writing him off straight away like.

I'm not writing him off mate, I just chose to look at us with one striker who is injured. I could of included Kuyt and Babel but I was saying it for effect. Oh and it was said tongue in cheek ;).
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Jul 18, 2010 10:24:38 pm
      We should go for an attacking formation with balance. You have 3 central defenders with two wing backs and a defensive midfielder. the rest are there for attacking. We need players with flair to make it work. So its an offensive 3-1-4-2 and defensive 5-3-2. On the counter we still have a 3-5-2 which is quite effective. Better still, if we want to play one up front we have better control of the midfield so we don't need to be swifter in our attacks as we have a 3-1-4-1-1 and 5-4-1.

Personnel wise we should look like this

Reina

Johnson               Carra   Skertel/Sotis   Agger        Kelly?

Masch?

Maxi                Gerrard           Cole?

Aquillani

Torres

Quite some Question marks that we need answers from. We have decent cover as well in those positions from youth team system.

Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #11: Jul 18, 2010 10:28:54 pm
      I'm hoping to see some attacking football, shame I havn't seen any attacking football in the past 6 years, glad to hear Hodgson wants to bring back pass and move and Roy is a fan of the 4-4-2. Not sure whether that would suit us at all.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 18, 2010 10:49:28 pm
      If we sign remy i think we are perfectly set up to play a team like this

Reina

Carragher             Agger
      Johnson                                                   Left Back
                                          Mascherano

Gerrard              Aquilani
            Remy                                                    Jovanovic
                                             Torres

That only really leaves Kuyt and Lucas(from the first team last season) out, but I'm sure with injuries they would get a good few games. I also think that this formation would suit Babel for him to be used as an impact sub.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #13: Jul 18, 2010 11:01:35 pm
      If we sign remy I think we are perfectly set up to play a team like this

Reina

Carragher             Agger
      Johnson                                                   Left Back
                                          Mascherano

Gerrard              Aquilani
            Remy                                                    Jovanovic
                                             Torres

That only really leaves Kuyt and Lucas(from the first team last season) out, but I'm sure with injuries they would get a good few games. I also think that this formation would suit Babel for him to be used as an impact sub.

Doubt Masch will still be here. Also i think Maxi should be in the starting 11.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #14: Jul 18, 2010 11:01:51 pm
      I think we might be looking at something like this ...

Reina / Cavalieri

Johnson/Kelly        Carragher/Kyriagkos            Agger/Skrtel          LB? (Bridge, Taiwo, Warnock)

Kuyt/""Cole""/Maxi    Aquilani/Lucas         Gerrard/""Parker""/""Poulsen""     Babel/Jovanovic/""Cole""

Gerrard/""Cole""/Maxi/Babel

Torres/Jovanovic/""Remy""/Ngog

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #15: Jul 19, 2010 12:45:12 am
      I think Roy will use the 9-0-1 formation :f_tongueincheek: Seriously, i think he will go 4-3-1-1 to begin with.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 19, 2010 01:06:13 am
      I think Roy will use the 9-0-1 formation :f_tongueincheek: Seriously, I think he will go 4-3-1-1 to begin with.

Do I even need to say what I'm about to?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #17: Jul 19, 2010 01:20:45 am
      New tactics? Well Roy has said himself he wants to return to The Liverpool Way of playing. That is a four four two system. I know that may be alien to some on here considering the way football has fu**ed about with modern day bollocks of changing a simple game to something much more complicated with dodgy phrases that mean nothing.

The basics of a four four two are such

One goalkeeper
      One right back
      Two centre halves
      One left back
      One right winger
      Two central midfielders
      One left winger
      Two centre forwards

Now, again that may be far too difficult for people to grasp in this modern game where you need a "second striker" or a "deep lying playmaking midfielder" or a "defensive midfielder" but for those with a traditional sense of football, like me, four four two in it's proper form makes perfect F***ing sense.

So going from that, I suspect the side will look something along these lines

GK - Reina

RB - Johnson
      CB - Carragher
      CB - Skrtel
      LB - Agger

RM - Maxi
      CM - Gerrard
      CM - Aquilani
      LM - Jovanovich

CF - Torres
      CF - Kuyt

That, on paper (or this case the internet) isn't actually too shabby. Obviously in some areas we'd rather have a little bit better, but if we can keep that starting XI fit we've got a decent platform on which to build. That's not taking into account the likes of Masch, Lucas, Babel, Riera, Ngog, Kyrgiakos who may not be world class (or even standard class in Riera's case) but as squad players we probably could do worse.

We've also got the likes of Kelly, Spearing, Pacheco, Darby, Shelvey to come in an add a bit of youth and hunger to the squad.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18: Jul 19, 2010 01:22:12 am
      Do I even need to say what I'm about to?
      Yup!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6976 
      Reply #19: Jul 19, 2010 01:24:00 am
      Can I just say that as has been proved by the World Cup, the European Cup and the Premier League - 4-4-2 is old hat.

Rafa's 08-09 time proved it for Liverpool.  Our problems last season were more to do with personnel and injuries than formation.

We need a top class striker not to partner Torres but to deputise in his absence.

For me Aquilani is still the man to be behind the striker.  We just need better quality on the wings (and a tightening of the defence ie. Carra out).

Oh, and a left back might be F***ing useful Purslow you c**t.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #20: Jul 19, 2010 01:29:28 am
      I think Carra still has a part to play as cover for Sotis and Skertel. Agger will probably be moved out to left back, unless we can get someone decent in before the window closes.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #21: Jul 19, 2010 01:36:00 am
      Can I just say that as has been proved by the World Cup, the European Cup and the Premier League - 4-4-2 is old hat.

Rafa's 08-09 time proved it for Liverpool.  Our problems last season were more to do with personnel and injuries than formation.

We need a top class striker not to partner Torres but to deputise in his absence.

For me Aquilani is still the man to be behind the striker.  We just need better quality on the wings (and a tightening of the defence ie. Carra out).

Oh, and a left back might be F***ing useful Purslow you c**t.

4-4-2 is old hat, fair enough, but that doesn't mean it can't work in today's game. If you have the right players playing well then it'll work as will any system.

And I'm now of the opinion we do need somebody to partner Torres up front rather than come in when he's injured. Torres is constantly injured because of the battering he gets while up top on his own, throw somebody else up there for the defenders to kick lumps out of and it's lessens the strain on Torres. Hopefully giving him a somewhat prolonged season rather than a disrupted one due to injuries.

In his first season with us, we often went two up front with Kuyt/Crouch/Voronin partnering Torres. He made 46 appearances that year, a mere 38 the following year and only 32 last year. We need somebody up there with him to take the physical strain off him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6976 
      Reply #22: Jul 19, 2010 01:48:21 am
      Fair does on your opinion mate, but for me the modern game is all about making sure you dominate possesion and the 08-09 season was the best I'd seen from Liverpool in the 'modern' game.

Whatever happened at Anfield last year I don't know fully, but Rafa's system for me was the right one. 

It's worked for United, Chelsea, Spain, Holland, Inter, Barcelona and Bayern Munich and if Roy is to attempt to get us back in to our usual standard of top four then he should be wary about emptying out our midfield.

Just my view though.

Quick Reply