Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Help with 64Bit Windows 7

Read 1387 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Help with 64Bit Windows 7
      Jul 24, 2010 09:45:01 pm
      I need some Information.

I want to get Windows 7 and would like to get the 64 Bit edition. But, I dont know if I can run it. How can I determine if my chipset and processor can handle a 64 bit OS?

Any Ideas.

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.0 GHZ and 3.0 Gb Ram.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Help with 64Bit Windows 7
      Reply #1: Jul 25, 2010 01:31:45 am
      I found this(google is your friend):

To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

Do one of the following:

In Windows 7, click View and print detailed performance and system information.

In Windows Vista, click View and print details.

In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type, and whether or not you can run a 64-bit version of Windows under 64-bit capable. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

To see whether a computer running Windows XP is capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows, do the following:

Click Start.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, your processor is capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows.

If you don't see "x64 Edition" listed, your processor still might be capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows. To find out for sure, download and run the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor webpage.

source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #2: Jul 25, 2010 03:21:56 am
      Yeah, 64-bit is REALLY bad.

My brother has it on his laptop, and it doesn't run anything properly at all.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #3: Jul 25, 2010 03:24:24 am
      Not for me Res, I have a quad core, 8 GB RAM, windows 7 64 bit runs perfectly smooth for me, very fast and haven't had any problems whatsoever.
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010 03:54:41 am by Dexter »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #4: Jul 25, 2010 01:48:08 pm
      Not for me Res, I have a quad core, 8 GB RAM, windows 7 64 bit runs perfectly smooth for me, very fast and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Probably one-in-a-million.

5 people I know have either Vista or 7 64-bit, and they explained to me that most programs these days are for use exclusively for 32-bit, and won't run properly for 64-bit.

They did emphasise, however, that 64-bit is the future.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #5: Jul 25, 2010 02:46:41 pm
      Probably one-in-a-million.

5 people I know have either Vista or 7 64-bit, and they explained to me that most programs these days are for use exclusively for 32-bit, and won't run properly for 64-bit.

They did emphasise, however, that 64-bit is the future.
      That's odd, I've had this for about 8-9 months now and use my fair share of software. Either way, it won't be long untill it'll be the other way around, half of all windows 7 users have 64 bit, they expect it to become the norm and 32 bit to become the exception.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #6: Jul 25, 2010 04:34:43 pm
      Even though it has a 64 bit version Vista has issues running it. Everyone I know that had issues running 64 had it on a Vista machine. 

I want to go with 64b which is why I am going to Windows 7. I have only heard good things from the people running it with 7.

But, thanks for the info up top. I'll check it out and let you know if I have problems.

Quick Reply