Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W8 D1 L6

Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria)

Read 1639 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria)
      Jul 20, 2010 10:49:20 am
      Swiss international defender Reto Ziegler has emerged as new Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson's top transfer target to fill the vacant role at left-back.

Sampdoria star Ziegler, who starred in the group stages of this summer's World Cup, could be available for a cut-price fee of around £6million as reports suggest he is keen to leave the club.

Following Luigi del Neri's departure for Juventus earlier this summer, a number of players are thought to be on the verge of leaving - with former Spurs player Ziegler among them.

The Swiss has some Premier League experience from his time at White Hart Lane, as well as a loan spell with Wigan in 2006.

And while Spurs fans will remember him as something of a lightweight in defence, Ziegler's reputation has burgeoned since quitting north London in 2007.

The 24-year-old is now regarded as one of Europe's top defensive prospects and would be a good fit in Hodgson's rebuilding of the side.

Yesterday, Hodgson admitted left-back had now become one of his priorities after releasing Fabio Aurelio and agreeing the sale of Emiliano Insua to Fiorentina at the weekend.

"We are short and that is going to be one of the priorities," Hodgson said.

"We need to find a replacement for Emiliano and Fabio. That is one job we will have to do.

"As far as we understand, the deal (for Insua) has been completed between the clubs and his agent is sorting out personal terms.

"Maybe it was the right time for him to move on."

lfc.tv
      imcfitz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      Re: Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria)
      Reply #1: Jul 20, 2010 12:06:31 pm
      decent replacement if its the guy im thinking of but would still prefer a move for taiwo
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2010 12:07:49 pm
      I remember this boy at Spurs and wigan and he wasnt great, but like it says he is 24 and hopefully he has progressed into a good player. Was hoping for someone better than him to be honest  though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jul 20, 2010 12:15:26 pm
      Decent enough player but in fairness he'd be way down in my pecking order for Insua's replacement.

Id Go.

Taiwo
      Lahm
      Bridge
      Warnock

Before I'd even consider Ziegler.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Jul 20, 2010 12:34:48 pm
      Don't really know anything about this guy to be honest.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2010 02:43:14 pm
      Just the first of many people... Get ready to be linked to every left back under the sun.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Jul 20, 2010 06:05:53 pm
      Not a fan of this lad, Taiwo and even Figuero are much better than this lad. I think he would be a poor signing he was extremely mediocre the last time he was in the Premiership.

I don't think we will sign this lad though put him into the Scharner and Beattie bracket.
      Andrei
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 149 posts |
      • I'll think about something.
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2010 07:45:40 pm
      Saw this guy at the World Cup when Switzerland played against Spain. He did a good match but not sure about his skills and attitude, one match isn't enough.

@RedLFCBlood: I think Lahm's quite a tough rock. Would be a good transfer, though.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2010 09:40:54 am
      He failed at Spurs
      He will fail at Anfield
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2010 09:46:34 am
      Whoever wrote that article has picked up on the fact that we now need a LB, picked a random European LB, lashed a bit of information about the lad in, and that's that.

Not one direct quote regarding the player in question. Or any potential new player in fact.

Topic locked until something more concrete surfaces. PM a moderator to unlock if it does.

Quick Reply