Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Torres, Gerrard, Cole - Best Attacking Partnership In The Premiership?

Read 8132 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Torres, Gerrard, Cole - Best Attacking Partnership In The Premiership?
      Reply #23: Jul 21, 2010 04:25:33 pm
      Im very much interested to see how Roy is going to fit all these players into a system that works.
      Gerrard, Cole and Aquilani are all players who add quality to our attacks. The question for me is who will set them up. With Gerrard being the oldest will he naturally fall into a more central role now and leave the late runs to Aquilani and Cole. I wasn't always convinced he was the answer to that, but one bad season doesn't make you a bad player and injury might have had more to do with his form. I don't see Aquilani or Cole in midfield. They would be great competition for more forward roles.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24: Jul 21, 2010 04:29:57 pm
      Roy has already pinpointed that a left back is imminent, Whoever that maybe, We still need cover up front and depending on player sales will determine the quality of that player, The left back position is more important and again revenue raised by player sales will also be prominent, Dagger although not his favoured position can fill in if we were to come up short, As for the RB there is cover in Kelly and Darby who i believe will feature more this season with Carra showing the ropes along side, We could see Roy using GJ as cover for Maxi/Kuyt on the right, but it's down the left side that needs looking at IMO, Ok we have Babel but how many chances is he going to get, And theirs that tw*t Reira both really need to show their true colours this season and prove that they are worthy of wearing that bird on their heart, We are still unclear of the Masch situation but if Rafa had Masch on his mind for Inter he would have made a bid by now, How good would it be if Masch stayed but then again how much would we get for him and what quality would we get in for the aforementioned positions, The mind boggles.

YNWA      IRWT      JFT96
                        O
                        Y
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #25: Jul 21, 2010 04:32:02 pm
      His best form came when he was up front I thought, but regardless I agree we need a real quality striker who can cause problems.

Not gonna hold out hope we'll get one though.

Didn't he score twice against Tottenham at Home last season when Torres and Gerrard were out? I think he does well up front.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #26: Jul 21, 2010 05:09:42 pm
      There is no doubt in my head that we have one of the best starting XI's in the World, nevermind the Premiership. The team oozes class. However, Liverpool's problem over the last few years is numbers. We have always had a good starting XI but for whatever reason, mostly a lack of money, we haven't been able to have a squad of players that allows the manager to leave one very good player on the bench and bring another one, of a similar ability, into the team. I still think that this is a big problem for us.

I am confident that Roy knows this is a problemn that we face. I am slos confident he may do something about it, if not in the summer, as soon as he can.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #27: Jul 21, 2010 05:12:05 pm
      So, i am feeling really optimistic about this coming season and my expectations are really rising. Could this finally be our season and could we be Premier League Champions 2010/11 i hope so...................... ..
      After last season I'm certainly not getting my hopes up that we'll win the league this season. There's alot of bad sh*t going on in and around the club, that has to have some affect on the team. Also, a new manager and new players, it'll take time to find a new balance in the team and for them to gel. Besides that we have some major ifs. Will Masch stay? Will Jovanovic and Aquilani be able to adjust to the EPL and perform to their potential? Will Agger, Skrtel, Aquilani, Cole and Torres be able to stay injury free for most of the season? In our current situation I'd be very happy if we'll make the top 4 again, and I think we can if things go well.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #28: Jul 21, 2010 05:56:13 pm
      I thought Jovanovic can and has played up front if so do we really need another striker to relieve Nando?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #29: Jul 21, 2010 07:21:09 pm
      They played the Liverpool-Everton FA Cup game from 2008/2009 in which Torres does that nice assist for Gerrard.

Watching that made me remember how well both Gerrard and Torres get on together. I wouldn't say we're a two men team but they are vital, together.

We have a really good first team squad. In past seasons, we probably had players good enough cover for the first team but when we had first teamers injured, that is when problems arise.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #30: Jul 21, 2010 10:40:49 pm
      Answer to the original question- Best attacking partnership in the prem?

I cant wait to find out!
      I am excited for the upcoming season- i am in the minority of optimists right now!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Jul 22, 2010 01:08:25 am
      Rooney, Nani and Valencia
      Van Persie, Chamakh, Fabregas
      Drogba, Anelka, Malouda/Kalou
      Tevez, Silva, Adebayor
      Defoe, Modric, Lennon

All are quite capable attacks imo...It depends on which teams can keep them fit :/
      I worry about Torres staying fit!

Nani; Poor mans Ronaldo.
      Chamakh; Never played in the Prem so cannot be judged yet.
      Kalou; Very, very inconsistent. One of the most inconsistent players in the league.
      Silva; Same as Chamakh but if it's based on his World Cup form then he will be a bigger flop than Shevchenko was.
      Spurs; Wouldn't rate them as one of the best attacking forces personally.
      ahirl
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #32: Jul 22, 2010 07:49:33 pm
      cole will make a massive difference to gerrard, allowing him to share the creativity and maybe taking some pressure off him.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #33: Jul 22, 2010 08:05:56 pm
      Nani; Poor mans Ronaldo.
      Chamakh; Never played in the Prem so cannot be judged yet.
      Kalou; Very, very inconsistent. One of the most inconsistent players in the league.
      Silva; Same as Chamakh but if it's based on his World Cup form then he will be a bigger flop than Shevchenko was.
      Spurs; Wouldn't rate them as one of the best attacking forces personally.

I think that's pretty much exaclt what I was going to say.

Modric - Lennon - Defoe is really not that frightening. Lennon is quick, but his delivery is inconsistent. Modric is good, yeah. Defoe is so over-rated and one dimensional.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: Jul 22, 2010 09:24:30 pm
      One more quality striker.
      Job done.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #35: Jul 22, 2010 09:58:04 pm
      I don't think Cole a prolific goal scorer but as long as he wades in with a few and creates chances for others then we will be better of than last season, and if we can keep the defence as tight as last season then we will do well.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #36: Jul 23, 2010 12:34:54 am
      Like has been previously said, I think Cole will relieve some pressure from Gerrard, being another creative player. Gerrard having more freedom and less responsibility may thrive on being able to sit back a bit more.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #37: Jul 23, 2010 02:45:13 pm
      Rooney, Nani and Valencia
      Van Persie, Chamakh, Fabregas
      Drogba, Anelka, Malouda/Kalou
      Tevez, Silva, Adebayor
      Defoe, Modric, Lennon

All are quite capable attacks imo...It depends on which teams can keep them fit :/
      I worry about Torres staying fit!
      Exactly.
      But a 4-3-2-1 like:
      Reina/Cav
      Johnson/Darby/Kelly    Carra/Agger/Skrtel/Wilson     ????/Darby/Robinson/Agger
      Aquilani     Mascherano     Lucas/Shelvey
      Gerrard     Cole
      Torres/Pacheco/Nemeth/Jovanovic/????

Then with Maxi, Babel, 2 of those strikers, Shelvey, and Cav + 2 of the defenders ^^^ on the bench
      And I really like that team :P and a great attacking force
      However, you make this point to somebody and say we have plenty of attacking depth and they say, Pacheco? Nemeth? Jovanovic? Pfft. What have they ever done? They're sh*t etc...
      And then they'd say about other teams with other (crap) premier league attacking forces, but they still have done a bit, e.g Berbatov.

So IMO we still need a good striker, and a left back, then I'd be delighted :)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #38: Jul 23, 2010 02:53:00 pm
      Forget Cole, Gerrard and Torres for a minute we know they can all play some great football, I say we try and get the best out of the rest of our current squad most notably Maxi.  

Quick Reply