Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Strength in depth.

Read 2913 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Strength in depth.
      Jul 22, 2010 05:00:45 pm
      Going off the latest transfer activity at Anfield, we seem to be cutting some of the dead wood from the squad and adding one or two quality players along with Youth with great potential.

I've said in another thread that the way we are conducting our transfer business so far this season gives me the impression we will see more players leave than we will see arrive, it could be looked at as were swapping quantity for quality.

Now lets look at the the first team for a moment and try and figure if this is a sign for the forth coming season with the onus being on youth to back up our more senior stars.

Going off last nights game against Grass Hoppers, It's looking very much like Roy is willing to stick with our 4-2-3-1 formation so lets line up our squad.

Reina

Johnson               Agger               Carra               New LB

Aquilani             Masch

Maxi                                 Gerrard                        Cole

Nando

Subs.

Cavalieri.
      Sotis.
      Skrtel
      Wilson
      Lucas.
      Shevley
      Jovanovich.
      Babel.
      Kuyt.
      N'Gog

Even in the subs there are question marks over one or two players futures at the club.

Then after that we are down to youth players, so is our strength in depth going to be backed up by youngsters this season ?
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Re: Strength in depth.
      Reply #1: Jul 22, 2010 05:03:33 pm
      shouldnt this be in the potential starting line up thread?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Jul 22, 2010 05:04:52 pm
      I think our starting line up will be stronger but our strength in depth weaker and we our strength in depth was hardly strong last season.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Jul 22, 2010 05:05:46 pm
      shouldnt this be in the potential starting line up thread?
      No mate as it's not about potential line ups, it's about strength in depth and the way we are conducting our transfer business, gives the impression we are sacrificing quantity for quality thus leading to being reliant on youth for strength in depth.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #4: Jul 22, 2010 05:07:14 pm
      No mate as it's not about potential line ups, it's about strength in depth and the way we are conducting our transfer business, gives the impression we are sacrificing quantity for quality thus leading to being reliant on youth for strength in depth.

ah fair play - sorry dude
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,626 posts | 3857 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Jul 22, 2010 05:07:24 pm
      Looks like we will need that new super fitness guru to earn his money. First eleven could have Skrtel in there to use the end of season back four. Ship out Riera and Degen... Dead wood sorted. We still need a quality left back and a striker as back up for Torres if we are to have a solid squad. I would agree that a large amount of youth players could be called up this season, but I don't see that as a bad thing.
      Amoo, Eccleston for starters should get some game time along with Shelvey. We have the talent in reserve. Now is the time to give them their chance. While I wouldn't expect us to depend on Darby and Kelly as regulars they definitely deserve decent game time this year
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #6: Jul 22, 2010 05:38:03 pm
      Reina

Johnson
      Carra
      Skrtel
      Agger

Maxi
      Gerrard
      Aquilani
      Cole

Kuyt
      Torres

subs - Cav, Sotis, Kelly, Lucas, Masch, Jovanovich, Ngog.

That's discounting almost any youth player, with the exception of Kelly. And we've still got, on the books, first team players like Babel, Riera and Degen. (though all three could leave - hopefully).

So I don't think we're going to be overly reliant on youth just yet. Not if we bring in one or two more like Remy in place of Ngog. Or Bridge coming in. Nor does it include new youngsters like Shelvey/Wilson. Two regular first teamers at their previous clubs so have plenty of first team experience, though not in the Prem.

We have a decent starting XI, with some good players coming off the bench.

Or alternatively we can keep the current system of 4-2-3-1 and set up like this (same XI)

Reina

Johnson
      Carra
      Skrtel
      Agger

Aquilani
      Gerrard

Kuyt
      Cole
      Maxi

Torres

So, by the looks of things whichever system Roy uses, we will have a quality starting XI (at this moment in time) and depending on who comes and goes, the depth of the squad will have full internationals right throughout. Our strength in depth will not be the youth unless we have another injury hit season.

Though we would like to see some youth lads get more of a run out this year, I can't see too many playing a great deal of games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,626 posts | 3857 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jul 22, 2010 05:46:54 pm
      So, by the looks of things whichever system Roy uses, we will have a quality starting XI (at this moment in time) and depending on who comes and goes, the depth of the squad will have full internationals right throughout. Our strength in depth will not be the youth unless we have another injury hit season.

Though we would like to see some youth lads get more of a run out this year, I can't see too many playing a great deal of games.

What I was trying to say, which I should have worded better was, if we have another injury ravaged season we will see our youth players feature more. In saying that when you see it in black and white our first team/squad, without what we would view as deadwood, is as strong as any other team in the top seven. With a bit more fine tuning and a better moral in the squad we could be looking back this time next year and realizing that last year was a blip that forced in a few changes to the medical staff and helped us achieve more.

miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 22, 2010 06:49:00 pm
      Pepe
      Johnson Skrtel Agger NewLB
      Gerrard Mascherano
      Maxi Aquilani J.Cole
      Torres

I hope Riera, Degen, El Zhar, Babel and may be Soto to leave.

So our experienced subs are: Cavalieri, Carra, Lucas, Kuyt, Jovanovic.
      And our young subs: Gulacsi, Darby, Kelly, Ayala, Wilson, Spearing, Shelvey, Pacheco, N'Gog. I'd include Mavinga and Robinson in the LB sub race.

I think we can do a good season in EPL if our new Medical Department keep our starting XI out of serious injuries. And trust in the mix of young and experienced subs plus some members of the starting XI to FA Cup, Europa League and Carling Cup.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #9: Jul 22, 2010 06:57:50 pm
      I like Degen!
      When we played Spurs in January- with Torres, Gerrard, Masch and someone else injured, i thought we would get spanked.
      Degen impressed me in that particular match.

I hope Riera, el Zahr & Ngog leave. That would make me happy!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,440 posts | 2841 
      Reply #10: Jul 22, 2010 07:00:18 pm
      If we have the same luck of last season then the youth will be coming in for sure but if it's an 'average' season with injuries then it won't be too bad IMO.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Jul 22, 2010 07:03:12 pm
                                      Reina

Johnson       Carragher           Skrtel            Agger

Mascherano       Gerrard

Maxi                       Aquilani                    Cole

Torres

Gerrard and Aquilani can switch if you want.

Players I actually won't cry if they leave - Degen, Riera, El Zhar. I believe they can probably bring an in flow of 10 million at least!

And then there are players who could leave provided a good replacement arrives like Babel.

So, this leaves us with :

Subs + Reserves = Cavalieri, Kelly, Darby, Pacheco, Spearing, Shelvey, Kyrgiakos, Lucas, Kuyt, Jovanovic, Wilson, Ayala and hopefully Nemeth.

Looks like a mixture of some experienced a little senior players in red and youngsters with huge potentials. If the first 11 can stay injury free for at least 90% of the season, our squad looks all right in terms of strength in depth. Well, the transfer activities aren't over as well as we may sign maybe a couple more players - a left back and a striker. Someone like Rafael van der Vaart won't hurt either.

Furthermore, one way youngsters can improve and whether they are good enough can only be known if they are given time to play. If we're comfortably winning a game with say, 15 minutes left, I'd throw on one of them.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #12: Jul 22, 2010 07:08:26 pm
      If we go through each position in the team, then there are certain area's for improvement.

GK - Pepe, Cavalieri - Sorted there.

RB - Johnson, Darby,Kelly - Relying on youth, but they've performed for us in the past, when called upon.

CB - Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Sotis (probably be sold though) Wilson, Ayala - Very well covered there.

LB - Nobody, seriously need to sign a few players.

CM - Gerrard, Aquilani, Masch (possibly be sold though) Lucas - Could do with another addition in that department, but not vital.

RM - Kuyt, Maxi, Amoo, - well covered there again.

LM - Riera (hopefully on his way though! Babel (another who may be sold) Cole can play there, Ecellston (sp?) Could probably do with another here, not vital though.

Behind the striker - Most likely see Cole here, but we got Stevie aswell, and Aquilani who can all fill the role and Pacheco who needs to be give a chance!

ST - Torres, N'Gog. Really need another striker, don't want to be relying on N'Gog again if Torres is out.

So, the key positions that we need to fill, is another back up striker, and a left back. Other than that, providing we're lucky with injuries then we're going to be sorted, although if Masch is sold we will need someone else to play in that holding role.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #13: Jul 22, 2010 07:10:10 pm

I think Darby is going to prove to be our cover for someone we sign to be our first team LB.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #14: Jul 22, 2010 07:14:00 pm
      I think Darby is going to prove to be our cover for someone we sign to be our first team LB.
      Agree
      RedWilly

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #15: Jul 22, 2010 07:17:53 pm
      I thought he was a RB? Suppose he could do a job there though, and I would much rather us use any money available on one good LB, rather than two average ones.

Also, forgot to add Jovanovic to that list above, so that's someone else for either up top or on the left.
      miguelred
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 22, 2010 07:19:07 pm
      Jovanovic and Pacheco can play at LM.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #17: Jul 22, 2010 07:25:52 pm
      I thought he was a RB? Suppose he could do a job there though, and I would much rather us use any money available on one good LB, rather than two average ones.

Also, forgot to add Jovanovic to that list above, so that's someone else for either up top or on the left.

Darby is naturally a right back but has on a number of occasions played on the left for both the youth and reserve sides.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: Jul 22, 2010 07:55:56 pm
      If Masch stays he will be vital to us next season, we are going to have a very small squad next season and we will just have to pray we don't have an injury crisis
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19: Jul 22, 2010 08:02:49 pm
      CM - Gerrard, Aquilani, Masch (possibly be sold though) Lucas - Could do with another addition in that department, but not vital.

LM - Riera (hopefully on his way though! Babel (another who may be sold) Cole can play there, Ecellston (sp?) Could probably do with another here, not vital though.

CM - We also have Shelvey and Spearing if needed.

LM - Jovanovic can play there, too.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #20: Jul 22, 2010 08:26:58 pm
      Well, our team looks much better in some areas but weaker in others.
      We have better attacking players now (Jovanovic, Cole) but did you think about CDM? Masche is leaving for sure and Aquilani can't be relied on cause it's only a matter of time until he gets injured once again. Lucas is still learning and has to play with a partner in a formation having 2 Central Defensive Midfielders. Does anyone think that Aquilani & Lucas are the type of players to stop any talented player? for me certainly not.
      The areas we still need to cash in are (CDM & LB). I don't have certain players in mind but if I had the money I would buy Bridge and spend the rest on buying a decent CDM. My team would be:

Reina

Johnson Skrtel/Carra Agger (Bridge)

Kuyt/Maxi   Gerrard   Aquilani   Cole

Torres     Jovanovic
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #21: Jul 23, 2010 12:40:44 am

Reina

Johnson Skrtel/Carra Agger (Bridge)

Kuyt/Maxi   Gerrard   Aquilani   Cole

Torres     Jovanovic

This would do lovely but as you say dunno how reliable Aquilani is. Masch is outta here for sure for sure and I have real doubts about Lucas' ability. A Left back and holding midfielder are paramount but it cant stop there, we need another left sided defender, left midfielder and one more forward.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #22: Jul 23, 2010 12:59:01 am
      Reina

Johnson
      Carra
      Skrtel
      Agger

Maxi
      Gerrard
      Aquilani
      Cole

Kuyt
      Torres

subs - Cav, Sotis, Kelly, Lucas, Masch, Jovanovich, Ngog.

That's discounting almost any youth player, with the exception of Kelly. And we've still got, on the books, first team players like Babel, Riera and Degen. (though all three could leave - hopefully).

So I don't think we're going to be overly reliant on youth just yet. Not if we bring in one or two more like Remy in place of Ngog. Or Bridge coming in. Nor does it include new youngsters like Shelvey/Wilson. Two regular first teamers at their previous clubs so have plenty of first team experience, though not in the Prem.

We have a decent starting XI, with some good players coming off the bench.

Or alternatively we can keep the current system of 4-2-3-1 and set up like this (same XI)

Reina

Johnson
      Carra
      Skrtel
      Agger

Aquilani
      Gerrard

Kuyt
      Cole
      Maxi

Torres

riera is gone/degen told to go/babel(one final last chance)?
      give the youth a chance. a week ago we were fu**ed. now we have optimisim. top 4 would be great?
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #23: Jul 23, 2010 01:08:36 am
      Think we have got a number of very good youngsters at the club who could be called upon if needed, most notably in Pacheco who really needs to be given a chance now!

Add in to that the likes of Eccleston, Amoo, Kelly, Ayala, Ince, Spearing, Robinson amongst others who I definately think should be given a game or two then we have got good cover from the youth

Also hopefully get Nemeth back as cover for Nando!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #24: Jul 23, 2010 01:42:17 am

Sorry, but it wouldn't. It's a sad day when Liverpool Football Club is cheering for coming fourth or anywhere other than first. First would be great.

Top four would just about be acceptable because it takes us back into the Champions League. What a F***ing joke that is, fourth gets into the Champions League. Champions means winning, fourth wins nothing. Disgraceful, and the rules need changing as soon as on that one but that's just me going off on another rant about the rules of UEFA.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #25: Jul 23, 2010 06:01:11 am
      Good post, it's a good vibe at the moment.. I think masch will be missed but even last year I thought we needed back up for him. So two left backs two defensive midfielders and a striker.. I will be happy as larry with our squad. 22/1 for the title I'll have some of that   ;D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,271 posts | 928 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #26: Jul 24, 2010 10:29:56 pm
      Strength in depth, we have depth alas....strength......
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #27: Jul 24, 2010 10:32:49 pm
      Sorry, but it wouldn't. It's a sad day when Liverpool Football Club is cheering for coming fourth or anywhere other than first. First would be great.

Top four would just about be acceptable because it takes us back into the Champions League. What a f**king joke that is, fourth gets into the Champions League. Champions means winning, fourth wins nothing. Disgraceful, and the rules need changing as soon as on that one but that's just me going off on another rant about the rules of UEFA.

FFS. What do you want a tournament with just Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona, Inter? There is a reason why teams in our league that finish 3rd and get in, go on to win the tournament. They are worthy champions.

I agree with your first part though. Lets stop "aiming for 4th" and go for the title. We are Liverpool Football Club. We want trophies, not 4th places.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,271 posts | 928 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #28: Jul 24, 2010 10:52:34 pm
      FFS. What do you want a tournament with just Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona, Inter? There is a reason why teams in our league that finish 3rd and get in, go on to win the tournament. They are worthy champions.

I agree with your first part though. Lets stop "aiming for 4th" and go for the title. We are Liverpool Football Club. We want trophies, not 4th places.
      Personaly i think Fourth would be an achivable end to the season. If you think we will win the title i think you will be dissapointed, we can't match Chelsea, Man U, Arsnal at the momment it's going to be a battle to finish above Spurs and City. This must be our first objective this season, 
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #29: Jul 24, 2010 11:00:19 pm
      Personaly I think Fourth would be an achivable end to the season. If you think we will win the title I think you will be dissapointed, we can't match Chelsea, Man U, Arsnal at the momment it's going to be a battle to finish above Spurs and City. This must be our first objective this season, 

Be optimistic! We finished 7th one season, yeah we had a bad run. But the media make out that Liverpool's hopes of achieving anything are gone, stop reading into it too much, we have a better striking force than Man U, Arsenal and maybe Chelsea.

As the man himself said: "Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling, aim for the ceiling and you'll reach the floor".

You got to have faith and hope that anything is possible with Liverpool.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #30: Jul 24, 2010 11:01:41 pm
      Personaly I think Fourth would be an achivable end to the season. If you think we will win the title I think you will be dissapointed, we can't match Chelsea, Man U, Arsnal at the momment it's going to be a battle to finish above Spurs and City. This must be our first objective this season, 

We are Liverpool. Not only can we 'match' ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, we can surely pass them and wave to them along the way.

Our objective is to win the title, only finishing in the top 4 is acceptable.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #31: Jul 24, 2010 11:02:26 pm
      Citeh have the greatest squad depth easily, shame there youth wont ever get a look in
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,590 posts | 1675 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Jul 24, 2010 11:14:20 pm
      Good to see some new players come in, though I don't know much about Jova and Wilson. Think Joe Cole is a good signing. But we're probably gonna loose Masch and that leaves the central midfield threadbare. For me, neither Lucas or Aquilani are top4 quality. Though Aquilani only had one season, thought he was even poorer than Lucas last year, style with no substance (I'm not buying the injury excuses). Whether Roy can get more out of them remains to be seen. IMO he needs to buy a quality defensive central midfielder to replace Masch (hopefully with the money that Masch's sale brings in). And do it fast. Would love to nab Scott Parker but see WH are looking for 20mill and LFC don't seem to be in the running for him anyway based on reports at the moment. Roy might even think about playing Joe Cole in the middle as an attacking mid, instead of on the wing. And for me Maxi is a decent player and nothing more, won't set the world on fire. So although we've made a few signings, think we need to make a couple more. Hopefully Roy can bring in guys of Cole's ability in their positions, then we might be able to make a decent go at the top4. Know it's alot to ask of Roy in season1 under the current circumstances at the club, it's more hope than expectation.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #33: Jul 24, 2010 11:51:04 pm
      Ideally if we had alot of money I would buy:
      1x Right Back
      2x Left Back
      1x Central Defensive Midfielder
      1x Left Winger
      1x Striker
      But since we don't have alot of money i'd settle for a left back and a striker!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #34: Jul 25, 2010 12:25:56 am
      In my view "strength in depth" means,that when any of your'e key players get injured,you have similar quality players to come off the bench,or alternatively a plan B strategy to win games.With our current limited resources,I think the first option is unlikely,I hope that the Roymeister puts in place the second option.I think that this is why in pre-season,he is evaluating 4-4-2 with the best of the Ressies(minus Pacheco),and new recruits.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #35: Jul 25, 2010 12:28:47 am
      We are Liverpool. Not only can we 'match' ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, we can surely pass them and wave to them along the way.

Our objective is to win the title, only finishing in the top 4 is acceptable.

Nice post- some people are far too negative!
      iwantfernandosbabies
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 25, 2010 01:52:29 am
      If we go through each position in the team, then there are certain area's for improvement.

GK - Pepe, Cavalieri - Sorted there.

RB - Johnson, Darby,Kelly - Relying on youth, but they've performed for us in the past, when called upon.

CB - Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Sotis (probably be sold though) Wilson, Ayala - Very well covered there.

RM - Kuyt, Maxi, Amoo, - well covered there again.

Behind the striker - Most likely see Cole here, but we got Stevie aswell, and Aquilani who can all fill the role and Pacheco who needs to be give a chance!

ST - Torres, N'Gog. Really need another striker, don't want to be relying on N'Gog again if Torres is out.

So, the key positions that we need to fill, is another back up striker, and a left back. Other than that, providing we're lucky with injuries then we're going to be sorted, although if Masch is sold we will need someone else to play in that holding role.

Jovanovic??? Spearing??? Pacheco??? Nemeth???
      RedWilly

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #37: Jul 25, 2010 02:23:19 pm
      Jovanovic??? Spearing??? Pacheco??? Nemeth???
      Well I put Pacheco in, so read it properly. I later posted that I forgot Jovanovic. As Nemeth hasn't travelled to Switzerland it doesn't look as if he is in the managers plans. And yes I forgot Spearing.

Got a decent contribution to make now?

Quick Reply