Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Strength in depth.

Read 2966 times
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Re: Strength in depth.
      Reply #23: Jul 23, 2010 01:08:36 am
      Think we have got a number of very good youngsters at the club who could be called upon if needed, most notably in Pacheco who really needs to be given a chance now!

Add in to that the likes of Eccleston, Amoo, Kelly, Ayala, Ince, Spearing, Robinson amongst others who I definately think should be given a game or two then we have got good cover from the youth

Also hopefully get Nemeth back as cover for Nando!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #24: Jul 23, 2010 01:42:17 am

Sorry, but it wouldn't. It's a sad day when Liverpool Football Club is cheering for coming fourth or anywhere other than first. First would be great.

Top four would just about be acceptable because it takes us back into the Champions League. What a F***ing joke that is, fourth gets into the Champions League. Champions means winning, fourth wins nothing. Disgraceful, and the rules need changing as soon as on that one but that's just me going off on another rant about the rules of UEFA.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #25: Jul 23, 2010 06:01:11 am
      Good post, it's a good vibe at the moment.. I think masch will be missed but even last year I thought we needed back up for him. So two left backs two defensive midfielders and a striker.. I will be happy as larry with our squad. 22/1 for the title I'll have some of that   ;D
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #26: Jul 24, 2010 10:29:56 pm
      Strength in depth, we have depth alas....strength......
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #27: Jul 24, 2010 10:32:49 pm
      Sorry, but it wouldn't. It's a sad day when Liverpool Football Club is cheering for coming fourth or anywhere other than first. First would be great.

Top four would just about be acceptable because it takes us back into the Champions League. What a f**king joke that is, fourth gets into the Champions League. Champions means winning, fourth wins nothing. Disgraceful, and the rules need changing as soon as on that one but that's just me going off on another rant about the rules of UEFA.

FFS. What do you want a tournament with just Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona, Inter? There is a reason why teams in our league that finish 3rd and get in, go on to win the tournament. They are worthy champions.

I agree with your first part though. Lets stop "aiming for 4th" and go for the title. We are Liverpool Football Club. We want trophies, not 4th places.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #28: Jul 24, 2010 10:52:34 pm
      FFS. What do you want a tournament with just Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona, Inter? There is a reason why teams in our league that finish 3rd and get in, go on to win the tournament. They are worthy champions.

I agree with your first part though. Lets stop "aiming for 4th" and go for the title. We are Liverpool Football Club. We want trophies, not 4th places.
      Personaly i think Fourth would be an achivable end to the season. If you think we will win the title i think you will be dissapointed, we can't match Chelsea, Man U, Arsnal at the momment it's going to be a battle to finish above Spurs and City. This must be our first objective this season, 
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #29: Jul 24, 2010 11:00:19 pm
      Personaly I think Fourth would be an achivable end to the season. If you think we will win the title I think you will be dissapointed, we can't match Chelsea, Man U, Arsnal at the momment it's going to be a battle to finish above Spurs and City. This must be our first objective this season, 

Be optimistic! We finished 7th one season, yeah we had a bad run. But the media make out that Liverpool's hopes of achieving anything are gone, stop reading into it too much, we have a better striking force than Man U, Arsenal and maybe Chelsea.

As the man himself said: "Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling, aim for the ceiling and you'll reach the floor".

You got to have faith and hope that anything is possible with Liverpool.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #30: Jul 24, 2010 11:01:41 pm
      Personaly I think Fourth would be an achivable end to the season. If you think we will win the title I think you will be dissapointed, we can't match Chelsea, Man U, Arsnal at the momment it's going to be a battle to finish above Spurs and City. This must be our first objective this season, 

We are Liverpool. Not only can we 'match' ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, we can surely pass them and wave to them along the way.

Our objective is to win the title, only finishing in the top 4 is acceptable.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #31: Jul 24, 2010 11:02:26 pm
      Citeh have the greatest squad depth easily, shame there youth wont ever get a look in
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Jul 24, 2010 11:14:20 pm
      Good to see some new players come in, though I don't know much about Jova and Wilson. Think Joe Cole is a good signing. But we're probably gonna loose Masch and that leaves the central midfield threadbare. For me, neither Lucas or Aquilani are top4 quality. Though Aquilani only had one season, thought he was even poorer than Lucas last year, style with no substance (I'm not buying the injury excuses). Whether Roy can get more out of them remains to be seen. IMO he needs to buy a quality defensive central midfielder to replace Masch (hopefully with the money that Masch's sale brings in). And do it fast. Would love to nab Scott Parker but see WH are looking for 20mill and LFC don't seem to be in the running for him anyway based on reports at the moment. Roy might even think about playing Joe Cole in the middle as an attacking mid, instead of on the wing. And for me Maxi is a decent player and nothing more, won't set the world on fire. So although we've made a few signings, think we need to make a couple more. Hopefully Roy can bring in guys of Cole's ability in their positions, then we might be able to make a decent go at the top4. Know it's alot to ask of Roy in season1 under the current circumstances at the club, it's more hope than expectation.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #33: Jul 24, 2010 11:51:04 pm
      Ideally if we had alot of money I would buy:
      1x Right Back
      2x Left Back
      1x Central Defensive Midfielder
      1x Left Winger
      1x Striker
      But since we don't have alot of money i'd settle for a left back and a striker!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #34: Jul 25, 2010 12:25:56 am
      In my view "strength in depth" means,that when any of your'e key players get injured,you have similar quality players to come off the bench,or alternatively a plan B strategy to win games.With our current limited resources,I think the first option is unlikely,I hope that the Roymeister puts in place the second option.I think that this is why in pre-season,he is evaluating 4-4-2 with the best of the Ressies(minus Pacheco),and new recruits.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #35: Jul 25, 2010 12:28:47 am
      We are Liverpool. Not only can we 'match' ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, we can surely pass them and wave to them along the way.

Our objective is to win the title, only finishing in the top 4 is acceptable.

Nice post- some people are far too negative!
      iwantfernandosbabies
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 25, 2010 01:52:29 am
      If we go through each position in the team, then there are certain area's for improvement.

GK - Pepe, Cavalieri - Sorted there.

RB - Johnson, Darby,Kelly - Relying on youth, but they've performed for us in the past, when called upon.

CB - Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Sotis (probably be sold though) Wilson, Ayala - Very well covered there.

LB - Nobody, seriously need to sign a few players.

CM - Gerrard, Aquilani, Masch (possibly be sold though) Lucas - Could do with another addition in that department, but not vital.

RM - Kuyt, Maxi, Amoo, - well covered there again.

LM - Riera (hopefully on his way though! Babel (another who may be sold) Cole can play there, Ecellston (sp?) Could probably do with another here, not vital though.

Behind the striker - Most likely see Cole here, but we got Stevie aswell, and Aquilani who can all fill the role and Pacheco who needs to be give a chance!

ST - Torres, N'Gog. Really need another striker, don't want to be relying on N'Gog again if Torres is out.

So, the key positions that we need to fill, is another back up striker, and a left back. Other than that, providing we're lucky with injuries then we're going to be sorted, although if Masch is sold we will need someone else to play in that holding role.

Jovanovic??? Spearing??? Pacheco??? Nemeth???
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #37: Jul 25, 2010 02:23:19 pm
      Jovanovic??? Spearing??? Pacheco??? Nemeth???
      Well I put Pacheco in, so read it properly. I later posted that I forgot Jovanovic. As Nemeth hasn't travelled to Switzerland it doesn't look as if he is in the managers plans. And yes I forgot Spearing.

Got a decent contribution to make now?

Quick Reply