Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Hodgson reveals Torres has "beef" with club

Read 8148 times
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      Hodgson reveals Torres has "beef" with club
      Jul 25, 2010 01:06:36 pm
      Roy Hodgson says he has done all he can to keep Fernando Torres at Liverpool, admitting the Spaniard is in dispute with the club.

Torres is a £50 million target for Premier League champions Chelsea, and is believed to be unhappy with broken promises about transfer spending by Liverpool.

Hodgson replaced Rafa Benitez as Anfield manager last month, and believes if Torres leaves the damage will have been done before he arrived.

"Unfortunately, I cannot do much more," Hodgson said. "His beef is with the club and not me.

"Fernando's situation has nothing to do with me, he made that perfectly clear over the phone during the World Cup and when I met him face-to-face.

"He knows what I would like to do with the club. He knows how much I value him.

"But his issues are with what has gone on in the past rather than the future.

"If he has problems with the club for things in the past, it is difficult for me to dismiss that."

Torres was part of Spain's victorious World Cup squad, although he failed to score in South Africa and was dropped from the team.

He has scored 72 goals in 116 games over three injury-hit seasons for Liverpool.

Link

I don't know what to think of this. Why is he speaking to NOTW?
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010 01:16:31 pm by Reslivo »
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Re: Hodgson reveals Torres has "beef" with club
      Reply #1: Jul 25, 2010 01:09:22 pm
      If it's true, why isn't it on the official website?
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Jul 25, 2010 01:12:10 pm
      Why you even reading that Sunday rag?
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #3: Jul 25, 2010 01:14:59 pm
      I have always said that this sh*t rag, stands for NO Truth Written.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Jul 25, 2010 01:15:59 pm
      How many times do we have to say the N*TW & The S*n lie about sources & quotes.  They print this garbage because they know it'll rile us.  It's childish on their behalf, but that seems to be the way the papers work nowadays, especially red tops.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Jul 25, 2010 01:17:05 pm
      NOTW lied, Hodgson did not speak to them.

I have edited the source on the first post from NOTW to Yahoo Sport.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jul 25, 2010 01:17:34 pm
      I said all this before regarding the Swiss training camp, this was after the game and there would have been a press conference where all the media sit in one room and Roy would have spoke to all the press in one swift go, not giving exclusives to The News Of The World journalists, this very same story is in the mirror with the exact same quotes.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Jul 25, 2010 01:20:33 pm
      Although their is no story, like us, the players have been lied to by that pair of yankstains.  If my management behaved the same, I'm fairly sure I'd consider my options.
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #8: Jul 25, 2010 01:21:56 pm
      Torres loves our club, it's HIS club too. Regardless of what happens with him, although it hurts, but our great community club will like it's always done recover from losing ANY player. We are Liverpool, maybe we won't win anything next season without him, but the future is bright, it's always red.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: Jul 25, 2010 01:28:52 pm
      this very same story is in the mirror with the exact same quotes.

....and that's the salient point Blud - there are direct quotes. People are choosing to dismiss the article because the NoTW claimed it as an exclusive. Let them bury their heads in the sand, if they wish but, to my mind, this story highlights everything that's wrong at the club.

The signing of Joe Cole may have papered over some cracks for those who are happy for an excuse not to fight but when push comes to shove; the truth is still out there......

Lies, debts and cowboys.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #10: Jul 25, 2010 01:42:09 pm
      For a start, i saw the interview in question and at no point did Roy use the word "beef". What he was saying was that there are a few things Torres wants to sort out between him and the club, in another words the empty promises by the Yanks.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Jul 25, 2010 02:28:25 pm
      ....and that's the salient point Blud - there are direct quotes. People are choosing to dismiss the article because the NoTW claimed it as an exclusive. Let them bury their heads in the sand, if they wish but, to my mind, this story highlights everything that's wrong at the club.

The signing of Joe Cole may have papered over some cracks for those who are happy for an excuse not to fight but when push comes to shove; the truth is still out there......

Lies, debts and cowboys.

Exactly mate, the job at hand is by all means be optimistic about the forth coming season from a footballing perspective, but do not think everything's rosey on a boardroom level, especially considering two of what could be described as the spine of our squad are uncertain of their futures because of our boards failings/lies/manipulations.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2862 
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2010 02:32:40 pm
      I don't get the point of this article.

All the knowledgeable players and fans of the club have 'beef' with the club. 'Beef' with Tom and George.

Torres having 'beef' with the club is nothing out of the ordinary.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #13: Jul 25, 2010 02:57:03 pm
      Torres loves our club, it's HIS club too. Regardless of what happens with him, although it hurts, but our great community club will like it's always done recover from losing ANY player. We are Liverpool, maybe we won't win anything next season without him, but the future is bright, it's always red.
      Bang on it's his club.It's our club.Very little loyalty around nowadays but i really believe Torres is truly loyal bloke.
      The world & his mother know about the sh*te going on off the pitch but he will see beyond the present situation &
      see we "WILL"be back where we belong once those fcuk's piss of back under the rock they climbed out from.
      D;REAM.......things can only get better ???
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #14: Jul 25, 2010 03:11:57 pm
      FFS. If he leaves us I'm going to be absolutely gutted.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #15: Jul 25, 2010 03:14:17 pm
      He's talking about the Yanks. We already knew this. He said it himself and we all praised him for it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Jul 25, 2010 03:22:35 pm
      I think it is a bizaare interview can you imagine Wenger saying Fabergas leaving has nothing to do with him it is up to the chief executive or Ferguson saying the same about Rooney.

Roy is what he said he is about a week ago just the coach he seems to have F**k input in what Purslow does and Roy don't be hinting that the reason Fernando is thinking at leaving is because he has a beef with something in the past before Roy came here.

The reason Fernando will leave is because he doesn't think the club is able to compete, whether it is because Roy is manager whether the transfer targets are good enough for him or whether there is no sign of a takeover. Please stop lining up Rafa for the blame if he leaves.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #17: Jul 25, 2010 03:43:18 pm
      Yep looks like rafa is about to sanction torres move! :f_tongueincheek:
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #18: Jul 25, 2010 03:55:22 pm
      Hodgson just looks consistently weak and helpless in the press.

Not what I expect from a Liverpool manager.
      DeCo26
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 40 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 25, 2010 04:05:41 pm
      This from ESPN. 24 July

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has admitted he does not know if Fernando Torres will still be at the club this season.

Torres has been linked with a move away from Anfield all summer, with Chelsea believed to be ready to make a bid, but Hodgson remains hopeful that the striker will follow Steven Gerrard's lead and commit his future to the club.

Speaking after Saturday's friendly defeat to Kaiserslautern in Germany, Hodgson said he was awaiting news from managing director Christian Purslow on the Spain international's intentions.

Torres, currently out injured with a thigh strain and on an extended break after winning the World Cup in South Africa, could be tempted by a move to another club with Champions League football.

Hodgson was asked if there was any news on Torres' situation, and he told Sky Sports News: "No, but Christian might be able to if you got hold of him. I haven't spoken to him for the last two days he's been travelling back from Spain where he's been on holiday.

"His holiday has also been taken up a lot of time by discussions with Fernando and his people, so I'm afraid the only person who can give you the type of details you require is Christian. It would be wrong of me to say too much."

Hodgson is now hoping Torres will public pledge to stay with Liverpool.

"That's what I'm hoping for, yeah," Hodgson said. "I made it clear from my point of view I'm really looking forward to working with him and I believe he's a key, key figure at the club. I obviously want him to be a part of the team we're trying to build here and I can only hope he'll buy into what the club is offering him.

"I don't think there are any worries with him in terms of me personally or what we're doing. I think the concerns go back once again to the time before I came to the club."

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #20: Jul 25, 2010 04:16:51 pm
      Why does everyone try to make out Roy is passing the buck?. Torres was quite vocal in his opinions of what he expects from the owners during the transfer window. Four or five top quality signings. If they don't arrive and Torres leaves it will not be Roy's fault. F**k me, Roy is getting some stick on this site, and for what?, coming in and persuading Gerrard to stay and convincing Joe Cole to join as well. Torres' problems are with the owners.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #21: Jul 25, 2010 04:28:16 pm
      Hodgson just looks consistently weak and helpless in the press.

Not what I expect from a Liverpool manager.

What do you want him to do, eh?. F**k me, the man has only been here 25 days!. He has come into a clusterfuck of a Club going through a tremendous amount of turmoil and in-fighting. He is trying his hardest to keep the players he wants here. Can Roy stop Purslow selling players?, no he can't. If any other manager was here instead, could they stop Purslow selling players?, no they couldn't.

Roy is making the best of a bad situation here, he is still finding his feet. And at the same time he is trying to sort out the mess that was left behind last season, i'll tell you what, why don't we stick a broom up his arse so he can sweep the paths around Melwood while he's training the lads and building team morale?.

Back to the point, jake15919, what do you expect Roy to do?. I look forward to your reply sir.
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #22: Jul 25, 2010 04:31:18 pm
      And brought the Singing of the summer in Joe Cole . It took 6 Years for fans to get on Rafa's back. And 25 Days for Roy I don't Understand it's a Joke.

What do you want him to do, eh?. F**k me, the man has only been here 25 days!. He has come into a clusterfuck of a Club going through a tremendous amount of turmoil and in-fighting. He is trying his hardest to keep the players he wants here. Can Roy stop Purslow selling players?, no he can't. If any other manager was here instead, could they stop Purslow selling players?, no they couldn't.

Roy is making the best of a bad situation here, he is still finding his feet. And at the same time he is trying to sort out the mess that was left behind last season, I'll tell you what, why don't we stick a broom up his arse so he can sweep the paths around Melwood while he's training the lads and building team morale?.

Back to the point, jake15919, what do you expect Roy to do?. I look forward to your reply sir.

Quick Reply