Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Brad Jones (Middlesbrough)

Read 12314 times
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Re: Brad Jones (Middlesbrough)
      Reply #23: Aug 06, 2010 12:19:39 am
      Would he qualify for "home grown" through age/time here cos he's an Aussie is'nt he?
      yes
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Aug 06, 2010 01:05:58 am

As if that's going to happen.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #25: Aug 06, 2010 01:22:39 am
      A one armed Pepe would still be better than this clown.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #26: Aug 06, 2010 01:32:14 am

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Liverpool-quoted-3m-for-Middlesbrough-s-Brad-Jones-and-may-turn-to-Reading-s-Adam-Federeci-as-Pepe-Reina-s-deputy-article545619.html

Middlesbrough want a staggering £3 million for Australian keeper Brad Jones - after turning down a bid for half of that figure from Liverpool.

Boro supremo Steve Gibson is holding out for the massive sum despite the surprise move from the Kop, first revealed by Football Spy.

Jones is willing to to Anfield and cover for keeper Pepe Reina but the deal is now in jeopardy as Liverpool do not want to spend so much on a number two.

Liverpool could now go back for Reading's Adam Federeci after cooling on a move for him because of his inflated valuation too.

[/b]
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27: Aug 06, 2010 12:02:31 pm
      The only Aussie keeper worth it is Schwarzer and he won't sign to sit on our bench. Please stop, Roy.

This must mean Cav is on his way, though? If so, Gulacsi is definitely worthy of being back up.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #28: Aug 06, 2010 03:12:02 pm
      Of course he's not going to put pressure on Pepe Reina but neither Pacheco or N'Gog aren't going to put pressure on Torres either.  That being said it appears as if Cav's becoming stagnant or simply accepted his place as number 2, much the same as Degen has (and it's seen him also been moved on).  Look at say Kyrgiakos: He knows all too well he's the number 4 choice for the CB spot, never stops him putting in solid performances and trying to pressure for a first team spot.  I think, behind Agger, he was our 2nd best CB last year and that's saying a lot as Agger was probably our 3rd or 4th best player last year. 

Again look at Kelly, he has no hope of ousting GJ from the right back spot, but he's putting in solid performances week in, week out and he's probably moved above Degen in the pecking order because of it and probably earned himself some time on bench as a backup CB/LB in the process.  I think while you might not have a chance of ousting some of the world's best players from their positions, it's equally important to at least try and not get complacent about it.

Kuyt was ousted from the #1 striker's spot, but still manages to see a lot of game time with his attitude and workrate.  I understand GKs can't exactly throw on an outfield jersey and start playing but it could simply be a case of Cav not trying hard enough to overtake Pepe.  Sure the reality of the matter is he probably won't but you shouldn't stop trying.

Adammac is spot on by saying "I don't really have too much issue with this move, if your going to have a player in your 25 man squad who is unlikely to see a Premiership game unless Pepe  is hurt you might as well have him as one of the 8 homegrown players".  Personally, I think it's more a case of Roy wanting that 8th HG spot filled with a backup keeper and if we can do it and break even, I don't have a problem with it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Aug 09, 2010 02:36:58 pm
      RT @neiljjones: Brad Jones expected to join #LFC this week (via the reliable @paulfraserecho). Has cleared his belongings out of 'Boro.

As I said last week, Jones qualifies as home-grown and it's one way to meet the quota; hopefully he'll never get a game thanks to Pepe #LFC

http://twitter.com/paul_tomkins
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #30: Aug 09, 2010 02:45:58 pm
      Yeah i saw that.

Lets see what youtube finds on this guy:

Colorado's Brad Jones Pro Day

He is a warrior i must say, very athletic ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31: Aug 09, 2010 02:59:34 pm
      Jones on way to Anfield

Brad Jones is expected to complete his dream move to Liverpool in the next couple of days.

Boro had already turned down a £2m bid from the Reds for their Australian international goalkeeper, but negotiations continued over the weekend and significant progress has since been made towards concluding a deal.

The 28-year-old was an absentee for Boro for their disappointing opening day defeat to Ipswich Town due to suspension. Indeed it is understood that he didn't even attend the game and had already cleared the decks anticipating his move to Anfield.

And with Jones set to become Pepe Reina's understudy on Merseyside, Boro manager Gordon Strachan is expected to step up his own chase for Crystal Palace's Argentine goalkeeper Julian Speroni as a replacement.

Meanwhile, Eagles boss George Burley is already believed to be lining up former England keeper Richard Wright as Speroni's successor at Selhurst Park.

Read more: http://www.middlesbrough.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=208189#ixzz0w77QcQTl
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #32: Aug 09, 2010 05:24:39 pm
      This signing absolutely baffles me. Why exactly are we wasting £2 million on this lad especially considering Reina is never injured.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #33: Aug 09, 2010 05:32:39 pm
      How much are we getting for Cavalieri? Or has he already gone?
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #34: Aug 09, 2010 06:51:09 pm
      This signing absolutely baffles me. Why exactly are we wasting £2 million on this lad especially considering Reina is never injured.

Home Grown.

It makes sense.

To be honest, if Reina ever got hurt for an extended amount of time, I think Gulacsi would play the pants off Brad Jones, but we don't have to register Gulacsi.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Aug 09, 2010 06:57:26 pm
      But why spend £2 million on him when Gulacsi is better, it will only hold him back and I personally think it is an insane bit of business.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #36: Aug 09, 2010 07:11:18 pm
      He is a good goalkepper Jones. I have watched him a number of times over the years and he has been quite solid. I know the £2m could be used elsewhere. But, Roy knows what he is doing so we just have to trust his instincts. This is the first i have heard about Cav leaviung. I think Cav is a brilliant kepper.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Aug 09, 2010 07:11:39 pm
      But why spend £2 million on him when Gulacsi is better, it will only hold him back and I personally think it is an insane bit of business.

Amen.

Jones is sh*te.
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #38: Aug 09, 2010 07:19:11 pm
      He is a good goalkepper Jones. I have watched him a number of times over the years and he has been quite solid. I know the £2m could be used elsewhere. But, Roy knows what he is doing so we just have to trust his instincts. This is the first I have heard about Cav leaviung. I think Cav is a brilliant kepper.

If I remember correctly, there were two or three Brazilian clubs interested in Cav a little while ago but were reluctant to pay a fee. Anyone else remember this story?
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #39: Aug 09, 2010 07:36:25 pm
      How old is he and where is the lad from?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #40: Aug 09, 2010 07:41:32 pm
      Aussie lad - 28 i think.

Was going to be at the World Cup until his son was diagnosed with Leukemia and he left the camp to go home.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #41: Aug 09, 2010 07:43:36 pm
      Never seen him play. But there is no need to sign a keeper. F**k all this bollocks about meeting home grown rules, we have enough anyway, and the 2mill could even go on another home grown player in a position we need to sort!!
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #42: Aug 09, 2010 09:18:55 pm
      Pressure on Pepe - I think not... He's a Demi-God, he needs no pressure on him!

its just to get a HG player me thinks, but I can see better options that another goalie!
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #43: Aug 10, 2010 09:55:51 am
      "Big Picture"All will be revealed in time I would think.Re Cav & Jones's signing.IF!!Cav goes it would make absolute sense in having cover as Pepe is not guarenteed an injury free season (especially with all the extra games its going to take to win the Europa Cup).And having a HG cover is essential imo.

I Roy W T. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #44: Aug 10, 2010 11:28:45 am
      Don't understand this at all. Gulacsi and Bouzanis are the future not some Aussie meathead (I know Bouzanis is an aussie/greek so don't slag me off)
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #45: Aug 10, 2010 08:21:40 pm
      Left out of Boro's Carling Cup match today.

Obviously, coming to LFC.

Quick Reply