Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Rival Fans on 07-08

Read 1817 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Rival Fans on 07-08
      Aug 08, 2007 11:53:46 am
      From official site this.

liverpoolfc.tv asked fans from every Premier League club to give us their views on the forthcoming season. Are they confident or worried about the next 10 months?
      We found a Gunner in buoyant mood, even though supporters around the country think Arsenal will struggle to hold off the challenge of Spurs for fourth spot.

Fulham fans seem the most downbeat, while over in Manchester, City feel sure they're about to become a major force under Sven.

ARSENAL

ArsenalIns: Bacary Sagna (Auxerre), Lukasz Fabianski (Legia Warsaw), Eduardo da Silva (Dinamo Zagreb), Havard Nordtveit (FK Haugesund).

Outs: Jeremie Aliadiere (Middlesbrough), Fabrice Muamba (Birmingham), Mart Poom (Watford), Arturo Lupoli (Fiorentina), Thierry Henry (Barcelona), Freddie Ljungberg (West Ham), Jose Antonio Reyes (Atletico Madrid).

Happy with your summer's work?
      I think Wenger has pulled a rabbit out of a hat again. Most impressed with Eduardo and Sagna. Only thing is we need a classier centre back - that's all we need.

How's the boss doing?
      Magic - to deliver wonderful football AND a transfer budget surplus. I can't wait to see what this team can do. I respect the way he doesn't succumb to pressure from the chattering classes.

Wish for the season?
      A top three place and the CL final again.

Who'll win the league? Man Utd.

Top four? Same as last year, but different order.

Relegated?
      Wigan, Bolton, Derby.

Where will you finish? Second.

Boris Mellor, Arsenal Times

ASTON VILLA

Ins: Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Harry Forrester (Watford), Marlon Harewood (West Ham), Eric Lichaj (unattached).

Outs: Gavin McCann (Bolton), Jlloyd Samuel (Bolton), Juan Pablo Angel (New York Red Bulls), Stephen Henderson (Bristol City), Aaron Hughes (Fulham), Lee Hendrie (Sheffield United), Steven Davis (Fulham), Chris Sutton (retired).

Happy with your summer's work? Yes and no. I'd have been gutted if we had just thrown money at it and ignored our promising youth players, so I'm happy we have brought in a couple of youngsters. But Marlon Harewood?

How's the boss doing? Love him. Savvy and sanguine.

Wish for the season? Improvement – what more can I ask for?

Who'll win the league? Chelsea.

Top four? The usual if van Persie stays fit. Spurs could replace Arsenal if not.

Relegated? Wigan, Birmingham, Derby.

Where will you finish? Ninth.

Pancho Villa, astonvilla-mad.co.uk

BIRMINGHAM CITY

Birmingham CityIns: Garry O'Connor (Lokomotiv Moscow), Stuart Parnaby (Middlesbrough), Fabrice Muamba (Arsenal), Olivier Kapo (Juventus), Daniel de Ridder (Celta Vigo), Richard Kingston (Antalyaspor), Rafael Schmitz (Lille, loan), Franck Queudrue (Fulham).

Outs: Bruno N'Gotty (Leicester), Stephen Clemence (Leicester), DJ Campbell (Leicester).

Happy with your summer's work? It's been encouraging. Even after the Mido non-event and Ghaly coming then going again (he didn't like running, apparently), we've got nine fresh faces. I can't say anyone had heard of players like Garry O'Connor, but it shows Bruce is going for players of a different vintage than last time we came up. They seem to be hungry, rather than here for a pay day.

How's the boss doing?
      I was pleased he stuck with us after we went down, and we couldn't ask for much more than coming straight back up. There's still a question mark over him in the transfer market though.
      Wish for the season? Survival and a win against Villa.

Who'll win the league? Don't care. I suppose I'd like Liverpool to win it, but I can't look past Man Utd.

Top four? Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham.

Relegated? Fulham, Sunderland, Derby.

Where will you finish? 14th.

Adam Rhodes, season ticket holder

BLACKBURN ROVERS

Ins: Gunnar Nielsen (BK Frem Copenhagen), Maceo Rigters (NAC Breda), Roque Santa Cruz (Bayern Munich).

Outs: Andy Todd (Derby).

Good business for Santa Cruz and Rigters. Could have done with three more though.

How's the boss doing?
      Great potential to be the next Man Utd manager. He's built an excellent team with little resource.

Wish for the season? Good UEFA Cup run.

Top four? Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Relegated? Derby, Wigan, Sunderland.

Where will you finish? 8th.

Neil Matthews, fan

BOLTON WANDERERS

Ins: Gavin McCann (Aston Villa), Jlloyd Samuel (Aston Villa), Gerald Cid (Bordeaux), Blerim Dzemaili (FC Zurich), Zoltan Harsanyi (FC Senec), Danny Guthrie (Liverpool, loan), Mikel Alonso (Real Socieded, loan), Christian Wilhelmsson (Nantes, loan).

Outs: Tal Ben Haim (Chelsea), Henrik Pedersen (released), Quinton Fortune (released), David Thompson (released), Cesar Martin (released).

Happy with your summer's work? We've got a couple of new wide men, and I've heard good things about Christian Wilhelmsson. Xabi's brother has looked good in pre-season, as has Danny Guthrie, who reminds me a bit of Steven Gerrard.

How's the boss doing?
      Sammy Lee is untried, so I'm 50/50 about him at the moment. He seems to want to play more attacking though, which is good.

Wish for the season?
      To beat Man Utd at the Reebok. The last time I saw us beat them at home was 1976.

Top four? United, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Relegated? Derby, Birmingham, Sunderland - all straight back down.

Where will you finish? 14th

Dave Horton, season ticket holder

CHELSEA

Chelsea FCIns: Florent Malouda (Lyon), Tal Ben Haim (Bolton), Claudio Pizarro (Bayern Munich), Steve Sidwell (Reading), Danny Philliskirk (Oldham).

Outs: Khalid Boulahrouz (Sevilla, loan), Yves Makaba-Makalamby (Hibernian), Geremi (Newcastle), Michael Mancienne (QPR, loan).

Happy with your summer's work? Reasonably so. We didn't need a squad overhaul and we didn't need to buy a league top scorer. We just needed to make sure that we didn't get kiboshed with a string of injuries again. Although the physio's office is already looking crowded after pre-season. Don't hold your breath for the 'expansive football'.

How's the boss doing? There isn't a better one in Europe.

Wish for the season? A Champions League final. If I were to make a prediction, it'd be that Joe Cole will have a huge season.

Who'll win the league? Us.

Top four? Mancs, Liverpool, Spurs.

Relegated? Derby, Wigan, Birmingham.

Where will you finish? 1st.

Rob Hobson, cfcnet.co.uk

DERBY COUNTY

Ins: Andy Todd (Blackburn), Robert Earnshaw (Norwich City), Tyrone Mears (West Ham), Andy Griffin (Portsmouth).

Outs: Seth Johnson (released), Paul Peschisolido (Luton), Morten Bisgaard (released), Paul Boertien (Walsall), Lee Grant (released), Ryan Smith (Millwall), Lionel Ainsworth (Hereford).

Happy with your summer's work? So far, so good. Need a lot more though - at least a winger, a striker and a midfielder. Would have liked to have swooped under Fergie's red nose and bought Nani.

How's the boss doing? Billy is king in my eyes. I reckon he'd be an excellent fighter. He'd come unstuck against Jol, though. Any man who believes half a billion on Darren Bent is good business is not a man to be messed with.

Wish for the season? Obviously and openly that Derby stay up!

Who'll win the league? Liverpool.

Top four? Man Utd, Tottenham, Chelsea.

Relegated? Wigan, Birmingham, Sunderland.

Where will you finish?
      17th and proud.

Pete Couchman, fan

EVERTON

Ins: Phil Jagielka (Sheffield Utd).

Outs: Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), Richard Wright (West Ham), Alessandro Pistone (released), Scott Phelan (Bradford).

Happy with your summer's work? Yes.

How's the boss doing? Brill.

Wish for the season? LFC relegation.

Who'll win the league? Spurs.

Top four? Man Utd, Everton, Arsenal.

Relegated? Liverpool and two others.

Where will you finish? 3rd.

Michael Kenrick, toffeeweb.com

FULHAM

FulhamIns: Aaron Hughes (Aston Villa), Steven Davis (Aston Villa), Diomansy Kamara (West Brom), Chris Baird (Southampton), Paul Konchesky (West Ham), David Healy (Leeds), Lee Cook (QPR).

Outs: Claus Jensen (released), Mark Pembridge (released), Tomasz Radzinski (released), Mark Crossley (released), Michael Brown (Wigan), Franck Queudrue (Birmingham).

Happy with your summer's work? So so. We've spent a lot of money for us, but I'm not sure how good some of these are.

How's the boss doing? Once again, only time will tell. Sanchez wasn't everyone's first choice and a lot of fans were disappointed at first, but I think he has won a lot over with the things he's been saying.

Wish for the season? To stay up.

Who'll win the league? Sorry to say this but Man Utd. But I would prefer Liverpool or Arsenal to win it.

Top four? The usual.

Relegated? Derby, Birmingham and Chelsea. Okay, maybe Middlesbrough.

Where will you finish? 16th

Neil Townsend, Fulham Supporters' Club

LIVERPOOL

Liverpool FCIns: Andrey Voronin (Bayer Leverkusen), Kristian Nemeth and Andras Simon (both MTK Hungariam), Nikolay Mihaylov (Levski Sofia), Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid), Yossi Benayoun (West Ham), Ryan Babel (Ajax), Lucas Leiva (Gremio), Sebastian Leto (Club Atletico Lanus).

Outs: Mark Gonzalez (Real Betis), Bolo Zenden (released), Robbie Fowler (released), Danny Guthrie (Bolton, loan), Luis Garcia (Atletico Madrid), Craig Bellamy (West Ham), Djibril Cisse (Marseille, £6m), Jerzy Dudek (released).

Happy with your summer's work? I'm delighted with the signings we've made this summer. We've broken our transfer record with the arrival of Fernando Torres and in Ryan Babel we have brought in one of Europe's most highly-rated youngsters.

How's the boss doing? I wouldn't swap Rafa for anyone else. What he has achieved since arriving here three years ago is remarkable and I firmly believe that he is the right man to lead us to number 19.

Wish for the season?
      At times last season we needed to be more clinical in front of goal. So that.

Who'll win the league? Us or Chelsea

Top four? Man Utd, Arsenal.

Relegated? Fulham, Wigan, Derby.

Where will you finish? Top two.

James Carroll, ShanklyGates.co.uk

MAN CITY

manchester city crestIns: Geovanni (Cruzeiro), Rolando Bianchi (Reggina), Gelson Fernandes (FC Sion), Martin Petrov (Atletico Madrid), Javier Garrido (Real Sociedad), Vedran Corluka (Dinamo Zagreb), Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk).

Outs: Sylvain Distin (Portsmouth), Trevor Sinclair (released), Stephen Jordan (Burnley), Hatem Trabelsi (released), Joey Barton (Newcastle), Nicky Weaver (Charlton).

Happy with your summer's work? Thrilled. Sven seems to be stealing real quality players from under the noses of fellow Premier League managers, which makes a refreshing change. Geovanni stolen from Pompey and Petrov from Spurs.

How's the boss doing?
      I'm ecstatic. We were linked with Ranieri early on in the summer and whilst I was pleased with him taking over at the helm, my first choice remained Sven. With his contacts around Europe and his pedigree at club level football, it all sounded very exciting. He does deals amazingly well and always seems to get one over on the press, which is nice. Those over in the Swamp can't stand it...City are back.

Wish for the season?
      Is it too much to ask for a trophy? Or we could just sing, 'We've won it three times, we've won it three times, the Thomas Cook Trophy, we've won it three times'.

Who'll win the league? Liverpool, if Torres settles quickly. Otherwise Salford United again. For the sake of football I'd love Liverpool to win it. Seventeen years, isn't it? That's not right.

Top four? Salford, Chelsea, Tottenham.

Relegated? Derby, Birmingham, Bolton.

Where will you finish? Between 6th and 9th.

Jonny Dean, bluearmy-mcfc.co.uk

MAN UTD

Manchester UnitedIns: Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Anderson (FC Porto), Nani (Sporting Lisbon), Tomasz Kuszczak (West Brom).

Outs: Kieran Richardson (Sunderland), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal), Alan Smith (Newcastle) .

Happy with your summer's work? Yes. Nani looks class. We still need to get rid of some of the under-performing fringe players, though.

How's the boss doing? He's a living legend. He broke Rangers and Celtic's dominance with Aberdeen, then he turned us around. Over 20 major trophies with United speaks for itself. Winning the league last season was one of his greatest ever achievements.

Wish for the season? The European Cup.

Who'll win the league? Us.

Top four?
      Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Relegated? Derby, Portsmouth, Wigan.

Where will you finish?
      1st.

Dan Sprague, fan

MIDDLESBROUGH

MiddlesbroughIns: Tuncay Sanli (Fenerbahce), Jeremie Aliadiere (Arsenal), Jonathan Woodgate (Real Madrid), Luke Young (Charlton).

Outs: Mark Viduka (Newcastle), Stuart Parnaby (Birmingham), Abel Xavier (LA Galaxy), Malcolm Christie (released), Danny Graham (released), Jason Kennedy (Livingston, loan).

Happy with your summer's work? Mixed - was very sad to see Viduka go and would feel far happier with another target man and/or possibly a right sided midfielder/attacker. This is a perennial problem at 'Boro. Are we the only club with a surplus of left footers?

How's the boss doing?
      Good egg and has potential to be a top boss. He will get the time to develop at 'Boro and hopefully mature into our best ever manager.

Wish for the season? Just for us to make a big contribution.

Who'll win the league?
      Man Utd.

Top four? Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Relegated? Derby, Fulham, Wigan.

Where will you finish?
      Top half.

Robert Nichols, fmttm.com

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Newcastle UnitedIns: Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough), Joey Barton (Man City), David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain), Geremi (Chelsea), Alan Smith (Manchester United), Claudio Cacapa (Lyon).

Outs: Scott Parker (West Ham), Titus Bramble (Wigan), Antoine Sibierski (Wigan), Craig Moore (released), Olivier Bernard (released), Alan O'Brien (undisclosed).

Happy with your summer's work? We have got rid of Bramble, Dyer, Moore and Bernard, so on that front, yes. Barton, Viduka, Smith and Geremi are all experienced Premiership players and Rozenhal looks promising.

How's the boss doing?
      Without a doubt, the best man for the job. He has a really difficult task sorting out the club after the mess it was left in by Souness in particular and Roeder to a lesser extent.

Wish for the season? For none of last season's top four to finish in the top four. The Premiership has become dull and predictable.

Who'll win the league?
      Man Utd.

Top four?
      The usual mob.

Relegated? Derby, Sunderland and an other.

Where will you finish?
      10th.

Michael Martin, true-faith.co.uk

PORTSMOUTH

Portsmouth CrestIns: David Nugent (Preston), John Utaka (Rennes), Arnold Mvuemba (Rennes), Sulley Muntari (Udinese), Sylvain Distin (Manchester City), Hermann Hreidarsson (Charlton), Martin Cranie (Southampton).

Outs: Svetoslav Todorov (Charlton), Daryl Fordyce (released), Andy Griffin (Derby), Collins Mbesuma (Bursaspor).

Happy with your summer's work? Very happy. If we could get in another striker and a creative midfielder then I'd be over the moon.

How's the boss doing?
      He took Southampton down and kept us up when he came back. What more can you ask?

Wish for the season?
      I'd love us to win the FA Cup, so I'm hoping we get a nice draw this time.

Top four?
      Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal.

Relegated? Derby, Sunderland, Wigan.

Where will you finish?
      I'll be optimistic and say 8th.

Jim Bonner, editor of Fratton Faithful

READING

Reading CrestIns: Kalifa Cisse (Boavista), Emerse Fae (Nantes).

Outs: Steve Sidwell (Chelsea), Greg Halford (Sunderland), Curtis Ujah (Yeovil), Jonathan Hayes (MK Dons).

Happy with your summer's work? What transfer activity? At the time of writing we've signed one major player and sold one player (and lost Steve Sidwell to Chelsea's bench).

How's the boss doing?
      Excellent. I'm sure he knows what he's doing...
      Wish for the season? Six points from the first two games. This is NOT a prediction. We've got Man Utd away then Chelsea at home.

Top four? Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham.

Relegated? Derby, Fulham, Wigan.

Where will you finish?
      7th.

Pete Cook, The Whiff fanzine

SUNDERLAND

Ins: Dickson Etuhu (Norwich), Kieran Richardson (Manchester United), Greg Halford (Reading), Russell Anderson (Aberdeen), Michael Chopra (Cardiff City), Paul McShane (West Brom), Stephen Elliott (Wolves).

Outs: Kenny Cunningham (released), Tommy Miller (released).

Happy with your summer's work? I'm still yet to be convinced that our summer signings are good enough to keep us up but there is talk of better players on the way, so fingers crossed they will happen.

How's the boss doing?
      I think he is a legend. He had his managerial critics before his reign began, and has proved them wrong by taking Sunderland from the depths of the Championship to first place.

Wish for the season?
      That we can sneak into Europe.

Top four? Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham.

Relegated? Derby, Wigan, Fulham.

Where will you finish? 14th.

Martyn Bowers, theblackcats.co.uk

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Ins: Gareth Bale (Southampton), Adel Taarabt (Lens), Yuri Berchiche (Athletic Bilbao), Darren Bent (Charlton), Younes Kaboul (Auxerre), Danny Rose (Leeds), Kevin-Prince Boateng (Hertha Berlin).

Outs: Emil Hallfredsson (Lyn-Oslo), Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria), Mark Yeates (Colchester), Charlie Daniels (Leyton Orient, loan).

Happy with your summer's work? Yeah, pretty much. We've paid over the odds for Darren Bent, but Englishmen who are proven Premiership goalscorers tend to be a bit pricy. We've got the best strike-force in the league now with Jermain Defoe apparently keen to stay and fight for his place. Securing Adel Taarabt on a permanent deal, while expected, is good news too. The 'New Zidane' tag might be a tad premature - his headbutting skills are sadly underdeveloped - but he's a tricky and confident little blighter. With great sideburns.

How's the boss doing? Like the 98 per cent of Spurs fans who don't phone 606 to embarrass us every week, I love the big man. When Jacques Fruitini left, our club was a laughing stock lurching from one disaster to the next. Martin's given us our dignity back. For that we thank him.

Wish for the season? It's a bit depressing to hope desperately for a fourth-placed finish rather than silverware, but while a shiny cup would be nice, long-term the next step for us must be the Champions League. If only to give us a hope in hell of keeping hold of Berbatov. And let's hope it's Arsenal who miss out, eh?

Who'll win the league? Man Utd, unfortunately.

Top four? Same again, unfortunately.

Relegated? Derby, Wigan, Fulham.

Where will you finish?
      5th.

Dave Tickner, sportinglife.com

WEST HAM UNITED

Westham CrestIns: Scott Parker (Newcastle), Julien Faubert (Bordeaux), Richard Wright (Everton), Craig Bellamy (Liverpool), Freddie Ljungberg (Arsenal).

Outs: Paul Konchesky (Fulham), Nigel Reo-Coker (Aston Villa), Tyrone Mears (Derby), Yossi Benayoun (Liverpool), Marlon Harewood (Aston Villa), Teddy Sheringham (Colchester), Shaun Newton (Leicester), Roy Carroll (Rangers).

Happy with your summer's work? Delighted. There's maybe concern with the age of players brought in but Parker could be a regular for England, Bellamy is pacey and a totally different style of player to Zamora and Ashton. He is a trier like Tevez, so in some ways I think he'll replace the great man. Ljungberg should provide some of the creativity we lost with Benayoun.

How's the boss doing? People forget the reason we were in the mire last season was injuries. We had Collins, Gabbidon and Ferdinand all out at the same time, and of course Ashton. That's three first-choice central defenders.

Wish for the season?
      That we don't suffer any more serious injuries this term.

Top four? Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal.

Relegated? Derby, Wigan and Birmingham.

Where will you finish? 9th.

Barney French, westhamutd-mad.co.uk

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Wigan CrestIns: Antoine Sibierski (Newcastle), Titus Bramble (Newcastle), Mario Melchiot (Rennes), Andreas Granqvist (Helsingborg), Carlo Nash (Preston), Jason Koumas (West Brom), Michael Brown (Fulham).

Outs: Lee McCulloch (Rangers), Matt Jackson (Watford), Arjan de Zeeuw (released), David Unsworth (released), Andreas Johansson (AaB Aalborg).

At the moment most of the fans are pleased, although another striker wouldn't go a miss. Jason Koumas is the pick of the crop and will hopefully add a creative spark to our midfield.

How's the boss doing?
      It was time for a change at our place with Paul Jewell having taken the club as far as he could. Chris Hutchings has certainly brought in the right kind of players and talks a good game. He's brought a freshness to the club.

Wish for the season? Survival.

Top four? Liverpool, Man Utd, Portsmouth.

Relegated? Derby, Bolton, Sunderland.

Where will you finish? Above the drop zone but far enough away from mid-table to ever have hopes of Europe.

Paul Farrington, wiganer.net

It's a good read, apart from that everton fan who couldn't take it seriously. That gunner seems to be a bit deluded too!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Rival Fans on 07-08
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2007 02:49:21 pm
      Thanks for that Liverbird.

A very serious and detailed analysis from the small club again I see?  :D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Aug 08, 2007 03:03:02 pm
      They think Moyes has done brilliant? ??? :laugh:

Spurs for the league? And Liverpool relegated!? Obviously a serious fan with a real knowledge of the game! :laugh:
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2007 03:36:09 pm
      Thanks Liverbird!

The evertonfans are really trying to win my respect, so mature, and I loved the City-reply! :D
      Good reading!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Aug 09, 2007 02:43:12 am
      Cheers Liverbird, it was a really good read.

Liked the Derby post the best...pretty funny and the interviewees name....not our crouchie in disguise was it? ;)

Quick Reply