Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Roy Hodgson needs two more new players: Who do you want?

Read 22979 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Roy Hodgson needs two more new players: Who do you want?
      Aug 06, 2010 05:52:21 pm
      Liverpool 'to make two more summer transfer signings', says Roy Hodgson

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has revealed he intends to bring in at least two more transfers this summer, but admits this could depend on the result of the ongoing takeover talks.

The former Fulham boss faces a month of uncertainty over his ability to wheel and deal in the market because of the unresolved boardroom issues at Anfield.

However, he maintains he still wants to sign "at least a couple of other players" before the transfer window closes on August 31st.

"We have made some signings so far and we hope to bring in at least a couple [more]," he said.
      "I think the danger in a late takeover would be that money would be made available but we wouldn't have had a chance to research the players in this transfer window.

"We are doing our research and targeting players that the club is capable and able to buy.
      "If one day an enormous amount of money is made available like it was for Manchester City and Chelsea so be it, it would be nice.

More: Liverpool transfer news and rumours

"But we would still have to do a lot of research before we started splashing that money around."

Since taking over last month, Hodgson has already brought in former Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole on a free transfer and Rangers defender Danny Wilson for around £2million.

Cole made his full debut for the club in the second leg of their Europa League qualifying tie against Macedonian side FC Rabotnicki on Thursday night - providing an assist for the Reds' opening goal in a 2-0 win.

And Hodgson admitted he is pleased with his high-profile new signing so far: "Joe is desperate to play.

"He came here because he thought he might get the opportunity to start more games than he did at Chelsea.

"He is an enthusiastic and effervescent footballer and the more he plays the happier he is.

"His energy and enthusiasm tonight meant he had a really good home debut."

Cole himself added: "It was good, I was nervous before the game but it's always like that when you go to a new club.
      "It was good to get 90 minutes in and get the win in the end.

"It would have been nice to have scored but I'm sure that will come soon."

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/837350-liverpool-to-make-two-more-summer-transfer-signings-says-roy-hodgson?

It looks like a forgone conclusion that Poulsen will be coming to Liverpool FC as the replacement for want-away midfielder Mascherano.

So for me, Christian poulsen will have to be one of the two players coming in; much as I think Lucas can cover that position, RH knows better and Lucas is actually an attacking midfielder.

The second player, I hope, will be a cover for Torres. Loic Remy anyone?. I read that he's dumped Stokes.

Loic Remy speaking of stoke

"I saw the Stoke team and it was really old fashioned. We stopped playing football like that in France in the nineteenth century! The disgusting food, houses were slums, the center of town has been damaged and the worst was the women. They are all massive and ugly!"

On second thought.....
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2010 06:05:47 pm by solodee »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Roy Hodgson needs two more new players: Who do you want?
      Reply #1: Aug 06, 2010 06:05:10 pm
      Well 1 more after Poulsen (I was hoping for a few more - love a deadline day signing ;)) Has to be a backup striker really, doesn't it.

realistically, we are looking at a player of Remy standard. Me personally, I would sign Markus Berg but we aren't being linked with him but he is who I would sign given the chance...
      LFChrisLFC
      • Forum Ian St John

• 425 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Aug 06, 2010 06:06:34 pm
      Depends when the takeover happens and who takes over.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1124 
      Reply #3: Aug 06, 2010 06:13:52 pm
      When Mascherano has gone I would look at Defour and Crouch!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #4: Aug 06, 2010 06:14:52 pm
      Not F***ing Poulsen and Jones anyway, wake up Roy your no longer managing Fulham.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5: Aug 06, 2010 06:18:01 pm
      Not F***ing Poulsen and Jones anyway, wake up Roy your no longer managing Fulham.

Yet he is still on a fulham size transfer budget. That is the problem mate.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #6: Aug 06, 2010 06:25:48 pm
      Messi
      Aguero

:P
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #7: Aug 06, 2010 06:27:06 pm

Messi LB and Aguero to replace Masch? ;)
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #8: Aug 06, 2010 06:27:52 pm
      You know it ;D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #9: Aug 06, 2010 06:28:51 pm
      If he sells Masch he can come up with better than that, he should take a gamble that the ownership deals come off as well, if it doesn't he has saved £9 million on Poulsen and Jones anyway.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1124 
      Reply #10: Aug 06, 2010 06:34:12 pm
      Whoever we sign has to be better than what we have. Too often in the last few years players have been signed who have not improved us. Roy said as much last night that it was difficult to find players of the quality we need. Still, Im optomistic that the likes of Kelly, Shelvey and Pacheco can play a part this year as they all have alot of talent!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #11: Aug 06, 2010 06:38:28 pm
      I think we definitely need a striker. If I were Roy I'd be looking at two sets of targets. One for if the owners come in before the window closes, and one if not.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1124 
      Reply #12: Aug 06, 2010 06:47:31 pm
      I think we definitely need a striker. If I were Roy I'd be looking at two sets of targets. One for if the owners come in before the window closes, and one if not.

I think Roy said today he is researching players who fall into his current very small budget and even if we did have an injection there would not be enough time to get the scouts to research other players properly before the window closes. It might be a good idea to spend the masch money on a striker and leave everything else until january or the summer.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,471 posts | 2859 
      Reply #13: Aug 06, 2010 06:48:40 pm
      Flamini and Crouch would do if we don't get new owners.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1124 
      Reply #14: Aug 06, 2010 06:54:47 pm

Flamini is a good shout, no idea what he would cost. How old is he now? I like defour and think he would do an excellent job for us. Failing that, what about Alonso? Rafa has gone now so he might come back! Wishful thinking though. But he would be a perfect partner for Stevie in midfield! Maybe swap him for mascherano if masch wants to go to Spain!
      lebronjames9109
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts | -3 
      Reply #15: Aug 06, 2010 06:56:46 pm
      arda and defour :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #16: Aug 06, 2010 06:56:51 pm

Right on, Paul.

The A-list if we get bought, and the usual Z-list of free or worn-up, past it players if we don't get taken over.

TBH I'd be cautiously optimistic for next season if we only added those two.

Despite last season, our first team is pretty damn good.

But obviously with mega bucks we could have our very first choice of player for each position, which would be a welcome change!
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #17: Aug 06, 2010 06:58:48 pm
      I'm going to trust Roy on Poulsen he's the one who gave Poulsen his career at 20 and had been following his career for 10 years with great interest. I'm of the opinion that RH knows whats he's doing buying Christian Poulsen.

Reading that Loic Remy quote he can F**k off back to France, what a disgrace.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #18: Aug 06, 2010 07:00:55 pm
      Think we could do with another striker, not sure who though.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1124 
      Reply #19: Aug 06, 2010 07:04:07 pm
      Think we could do with another striker, not sure who though.

Maybe rafa will swap mascherano for Eto. Rafa loves selling strikers as much as he likes defensive midfielders so it could be a possibility  :f_tongueincheek:
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Aug 06, 2010 07:09:52 pm
      For me I'd go Banega 8.5m clause in his contract.

Sell Babel for 8.5 million.

Buy Dzeko with the 25/30 million from Masch. ;D
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #21: Aug 06, 2010 07:13:14 pm
      To be honest I don't know much about Poulsen or how he plays, but if he came I would want another striker to have in the team. Remy would be nice, but I don't think we'll get him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,471 posts | 2859 
      Reply #22: Aug 06, 2010 07:16:44 pm
      For me I'd go Banega 8.5m clause in his contract.

I'm seriously surprised, that if that clause exists, why a huge number of clubs haven't bid for him.

The lad is quality.

Quick Reply