Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Roy the Right Man for Liverpool FC? (added 9 September 2010)

Yes
      (7.3%)
      No
      (80.2%)
      Undecided
      (12.5%)

Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)

Read 511640 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)
      Reply #46: Aug 08, 2010 09:58:00 pm
      Benitez did the groundwork for the Jovanovic signing.

In all Honesty I'd say Rafa and his scouting team done all the leg work for Jova Wilson and Cole if I have to be honest and Roy made the best of the situation by using the scout reports on those players before concluding the deals.

As for convincing Torres and Gerrard to stay, I don't believe that at all mate, Gerrard was selling the club to Cole in Africa so to me that along with Gerrards interview in Africa where he stated he'd be here this season suggests Gerrard was going no where and Torres spent more time talking with Purslow than he did with Roy by Hodgson's own admission.

That's not having a dig at Roy by the way, just stating the facts.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #47: Aug 08, 2010 10:09:26 pm
      In all Honesty I'd say Rafa and his scouting team done all the leg work for Jova Wilson and Cole if I have to be honest and Roy made the best of the situation by using the scout reports on those players before concluding the deals.

As for convincing Torres and Gerrard to stay, I don't believe that at all mate, Gerrard was selling the club to Cole in Africa so to me that along with Gerrards interview in Africa where he stated he'd be here this season suggests Gerrard was going no where and Torres spent more time talking with Purslow than he did with Roy by Hodgson's own admission.

That's not having a dig at Roy by the way, just stating the facts.

As stated by Joe Cole, it was his meeting with Roy Hodgson that persuaded him to join. Torres also said he appreciated Roy going out to see him personally in Spain! As for Wilson, I think we had a bid rejected but it was Roy who went back in for him and got him. This was obviously after consulting the scouts. But as Wilson stated himself, he could have joined a team in the CL but decided to join us. I credit Roy for this too.

Im sure Jovanovic will be a good player for us. Benitez did well identifying him and getting in quick while other clubs sat and wondered!

Anyways, this thread is about Roy. Benitez has gone. Good luck to him at Inter!
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #48: Aug 08, 2010 10:23:25 pm
      I believe that Roy is the right man for Liverpool.

I have been hugely impressed by him since the first day. I think he has been excellent at handling the media, he doesn't try to be smart with them, he just tells the truth.

Getting Gerrard and Torres to stay was one of his main objectives when he got the job, and he was able to pursuade them to stay with us. Signing Joe Cole was also a master stroke, he was wanted by many different clubs but he chose us after Roy talked to him.

I also liked our style of play against Rabotniki, I know that they are very weak opposition in comparison to what we will be facing week in week out in the Premier League, but I think it gave us a good idea of what we will be playing like this season.

Overall, it is far too soon to definitley say that he is the right man, but so far I would give him 10/10.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #49: Aug 08, 2010 10:27:41 pm
      Joe Cole on Joining Liverpool

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Joe-Cole-Anfield-atmosphere-convinced-me-to-join-Liverpool-article533021.html

"This is a massive club. I tried to take everything out of the equation, take the financial and location side out and just thought in football terms," said the England international, who has signed a four-year contract after passing his medical.

"I thought about the semi-final of the Champions League in 2005 when I ran onto the field and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

"I was thinking about playing in that atmosphere every week and that swung it for me.

"I know I have made the right decision and I am looking forward to the challenge.

"I have played in London all my life. I could have stayed at Chelsea because the fans loved me and I won things, but I wanted to challenge myself and when I knew Liverpool were interested it was a no-brainer because they are the biggest club in the country."

"I had a chat with the gaffer about football and was impressed with him," he added.

"The club has had Spanish and French managers over the years and I think it's a breath of fresh air to get an Englishman in.

"The club finished seventh last year, which wasn't good enough, and he explained where the club wants to go. I jumped on board because with the players we have here and the players we are looking to bring in, it's definitely going in the right direction.

"We have talked about positions in the team and types of formations he wants to play and I just want to be part of the team.

"I want to go out there and to run and fight for the lads and the fans.

"That's what I'll always do and Roy is the man who can make sure we are a nice unit as a team."

"I am used to playing with world-class players," he added.

"I am excited about playing with Fernando and obviously I know Stevie, Carra and Jonno from the England set-up.

"Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani - there are a lot of big-name players here but I will need time to settle down and relax into the club.

"I can guarantee the fans I will be giving 100% every game.

"I am proud to be playing for this club and will give my all in every training session and every game to help the club be successful and put some pots in the trophy cabinet."

The most important quotes from Cole in that Interview for me was.

"I thought about the semi-final of the Champions League in 2005 when I ran onto the field and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

"I was thinking about playing in that atmosphere every week and that swung it for me.

Roy Hodgson: Steven Gerrard & Jamie Carragher Helped Me 'Sell' Liverpool To Joe Cole

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/9/england/2010/07/20/2033872/roy-hodgson-steven-gerrard-jamie-carragher-helped-me-sell

"Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard did a good job selling the club to Joe during the World Cup. It took a bit of selling to persuade a Londoner to move up to Liverpool. The simple solution would have been for him to stay in the London area."

Like I said mate I'm not knocking Roy I'm just adding  some Clarity.

My assumptions from that Is that the Fans the Atmosphere they generate and Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher were just as influential in selling the club to Cole as Roy was.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2010 10:33:16 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #50: Aug 08, 2010 10:28:00 pm
      I believe that Roy is the right man for Liverpool.

I have been hugely impressed by him since the first day. I think he has been excellent at handling the media, he doesn't try to be smart with them, he just tells the truth.

Getting Gerrard and Torres to stay was one of his main objectives when he got the job, and he was able to pursuade them to stay with us. Signing Joe Cole was also a master stroke, he was wanted by many different clubs but he chose us after Roy talked to him.

I also liked our style of play against Rabotniki, I know that they are very weak opposition in comparison to what we will be facing week in week out in the Premier League, but I think it gave us a good idea of what we will be playing like this season.

Overall, it is far too soon to definitley say that he is the right man, but so far I would give him 10/10.

Well said lad. We were in a mess on the field when Roy was appointed. Now there is a feelgood factor sweeping the squad. Hell even babel said he is enjoying the new era. Roy has passed every test so far and clearly has the players behind him. The bigger tests are to come but so far so good!
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #51: Aug 08, 2010 10:34:48 pm
      Joe Cole on Joining Liverpool

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Joe-Cole-Anfield-atmosphere-convinced-me-to-join-Liverpool-article533021.html

"This is a massive club. I tried to take everything out of the equation, take the financial and location side out and just thought in football terms," said the England international, who has signed a four-year contract after passing his medical.

"I know I have made the right decision and I am looking forward to the challenge.

"I have played in London all my life. I could have stayed at Chelsea because the fans loved me and I won things, but I wanted to challenge myself and when I knew Liverpool were interested it was a no-brainer because they are the biggest club in the country."

"I had a chat with the gaffer about football and was impressed with him," he added.

"The club has had Spanish and French managers over the years and I think it's a breath of fresh air to get an Englishman in.

"The club finished seventh last year, which wasn't good enough, and he explained where the club wants to go. I jumped on board because with the players we have here and the players we are looking to bring in, it's definitely going in the right direction.

"We have talked about positions in the team and types of formations he wants to play and I just want to be part of the team.

"I want to go out there and to run and fight for the lads and the fans.

"That's what I'll always do and Roy is the man who can make sure we are a nice unit as a team."

"I am used to playing with world-class players," he added.

"I am excited about playing with Fernando and obviously I know Stevie, Carra and Jonno from the England set-up.

"Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani - there are a lot of big-name players here but I will need time to settle down and relax into the club.

"I can guarantee the fans I will be giving 100% every game.

"I am proud to be playing for this club and will give my all in every training session and every game to help the club be successful and put some pots in the trophy cabinet."

Roy Hodgson: Steven Gerrard & Jamie Carragher Helped Me 'Sell' Liverpool To Joe Cole

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/9/england/2010/07/20/2033872/roy-hodgson-steven-gerrard-jamie-carragher-helped-me-sell

"Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard did a good job selling the club to Joe during the World Cup. It took a bit of selling to persuade a Londoner to move up to Liverpool. The simple solution would have been for him to stay in the London area."

Like I said mate I'm not knocking Roy I'm adding Clarity.

No worries mate. Ive read all the Cole interviews so far and its clear he was impressed with Roy. I always thought we had a chance of getting him as he has always spoken highly of Liverpool.

It seems that Roy's ideas, tactics and formations as well as his footballing mentality were the major factors in his his decision to join Liverpool. Roy is also a good man manager and this is something that players like Joe Cole need. All players need this tbh and this has been missing from LFC in recent times. Joe obviously felt this from Roy and he was convinced that Roy Hodgson and Liverpool were the place he wanted to be.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #52: Aug 08, 2010 11:03:07 pm
      Pretty much everything Roy has done right so far, like bringing in Cole and Wilson has been credited to Rafa even though there wasn't going to be a snowball's chance in hell of him signing those two. That seriously was taking the piss, Sure Rafa was a legend for the club but he's not God. Last season his judgment was all over the place. The team needed a refresh.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #53: Aug 08, 2010 11:07:46 pm
      Pretty much everything Roy has done right so far, like bringing in Cole and Wilson has been credited to Rafa even though there wasn't going to be a snowball's chance in hell of him signing those two.

Come on mate for fucks sake, he had one real bad season whilst he was here, he never turned into the anti Christ, he's a European cup winning manager of course he could have attracted the likes of Cole and Danny Wilson had he pursued them.

Does it really pain you that much to just say, Roy used the resources that were best available to him when making a decision on the signings which was the scouting reports that were ordered and put together by Rafael Benitez and his team ?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #54: Aug 08, 2010 11:16:20 pm
      Come on mate for fucks sake, he had one real bad season whilst he was here, he never turned into the anti Christ, he's a European cup winning manager of course he could have attracted the likes of Cole and Danny Wilson had he pursued them.

Does it really pain you that much to just say, Roy used the resources that were best available to him when making a decision on the signings which was the scouting reports that were ordered and put together by Rafael Benitez and his team ?

So Roy's talks with Joe Cole in private had nothing to do with it whatsoever?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #55: Aug 08, 2010 11:20:01 pm
      I never said that at all mate, look at the context of what I said.

"Is Roy the right man for Liverpool F.C ?, I'll answer this question easily next May if he's holding the EPL and Europa Cup aloft come May."

What I said was it will be an easy question to answer if he wins both trophies.

But lets say for instance Roy faces another season of injuries, poor form, loss of confidence due to injuries/form which transfers itself onto the football pitch in terms of results that see's us finish 7th, out of the league and F.A cup, League Cup, Europa Cup at the early stages, then the question of Is Roy the right man for the job would be a harder question to answer as the variable factors would have to be taken into consideration.

However look further into my post where I said Roy needs to be given time, which he will be afforded by the fans to prove if he is indeed the right man and as I said it is far too early in Hodgson's managerial tenure here to even beg this question.

However not once in the post did I imply or say Roy Hodgson would only be the right man for the job  if he won Silverware for the club, even given in our heart of hearts, that is ultimately what we all want.

So how you've came to my opinion being "Shallow" considering winning trophies would in fact make it an easier question to answer, has left me a little baffled/mystified to be honest mate.

I guess i'm reading into your post and basing your comments on previous posts you have made since Roy's arrival. The 'Rafa's signings' comment, the 'he hasn't instilled any confidence in me' comment, your reference to him as a 'Yes Man Puppet' and your comments based purely on press speculation.

So please excuse me and accept my apology for misinterpreting your post, though i hope you can understand my scepticism based on your previous posts about Roy.

And to answer the part highlighted in bold. Poor form will of course be attributed to Roy's managerial approach. It's how he responds to a loss of form that will count, or if he doesn't respond like Rafa did. How he responds to injuries will be on his head too. Will he pick like for like replacements or put round pegs in square holes like Rafa did?. How he responds in match situations will be key also, will he change when change is required or will he wait for the customary 67th minute period like Rafa did?.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #56: Aug 08, 2010 11:22:33 pm
      IMO he is not the right man.

I'll get behind him, but his record and the way he sets his teams up is not what I want to see here.

For all those who slated Rafa for his supposed "safety first" approach - you ain't seen nothing yet.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but nothing in his CV convinces me that I am.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #57: Aug 08, 2010 11:24:09 pm
      Is Roy the right man? For what?

The right man for Liverpool F.C. at this point in our history? - Yes; he has brought an air of optimism and got us believing again.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here but, other than that, I'm not 100% sure what the question is.  :-\

Of course the question is about the here and now mate. Come on now bbb, let's play the game here shall we?.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #58: Aug 08, 2010 11:25:26 pm
      So Roy's talks with Joe Cole in private had nothing to do with it whatsoever?

Of Course it did and no one says it didn't as I have posted a reference to it a few comments above.

But in the same sense and in the same post I highlighted how Joe Cole himself said.

and How Roy Hodgson himself said.

So the obvious assumptions to take from that Is, that the Fans, the Atmosphere they generate and Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher were just as influential in selling the club to Cole as Roy was.

To be honest mate I'm not having a dig at Roy, I'm just looking at the broader picture clearly and not getting caught up in a wave of optimisim/fandism.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2010 11:31:32 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #59: Aug 08, 2010 11:29:36 pm

I guess i'm reading into your post and basing your comments on previous posts you have made since Roy's arrival. The 'Rafa's signings' comment, the 'he hasn't instilled any confidence in me' comment, your reference to him as a 'Yes Man Puppet' and your comments based purely on press speculation.

We covered this ground in that thread mate and I never once called him a yes man puppet, what I did say was "My faith was wavering a little due the quality of players we are being linked with", but in the same sentance I did say "I was willing to give Roy a chance as it could merely be just press speculation".

So in no way was I having a dig at Roy or calling him a yes man puppet, However I will go onto say I have reservations about him which are no different to the reservations I had about Rafa or Houllier when they took over.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,133 posts | 3379 
      Reply #60: Aug 08, 2010 11:39:44 pm
      As stated by Joe Cole, it was his meeting with Roy Hodgson that persuaded him to join. Torres also said he appreciated Roy going out to see him personally in Spain! As for Wilson, I think we had a bid rejected but it was Roy who went back in for him and got him. This was obviously after consulting the scouts. But as Wilson stated himself, he could have joined a team in the CL but decided to join us. I credit Roy for this too.

Im sure Jovanovic will be a good player for us. Benitez did well identifying him and getting in quick while other clubs sat and wondered!

Anyways, this thread is about Roy. Benitez has gone. Good luck to him at Inter!

Don't forget either mate there were rumours about Jovanovich going to Inter after Rafa had gone there. But he still joined us.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #61: Aug 08, 2010 11:42:38 pm
      IMO he is not the right man.

I'll get behind him, but his record and the way he sets his teams up is not what I want to see here.

For all those who slated Rafa for his supposed "safety first" approach - you ain't seen nothing yet.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but nothing in his CV convinces me that I am.

Well done KennyIsKing, for being honest in your opinion that is. And also for sticking to your guns and not changing your mind like others are doing. Your opinion i will respect. Though you will be proven wrong.

Rafa was slated for his 'safety first' approach and rightly so. We were never going to win the League with his philosophy. Now Roy has a chance to go for it and he is not even asking for five years either.

In relation to his CV, has he ever worked with such a talented group of players before?. No.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #62: Aug 08, 2010 11:43:16 pm
      Don't forget either mate there were rumours about Jovanovich going to Inter after Rafa had gone there. But he still joined us.

Which were just that Milan himself dismissed them and said even though Benitez had gone, he was always going to join Liverpool.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #63: Aug 08, 2010 11:44:32 pm

Rafa was slated for his 'safety first' approach and rightly so. We were never going to win the League with his philosophy.

We didn't but my oh my, it did once take us pretty fooking close ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #64: Aug 09, 2010 12:01:35 am
      Of Course it did and no one says it didn't as I have posted a reference to it a few comments above.

But in the same sense and in the same post I highlighted how Joe Cole himself said.

and How Roy Hodgson himself said.

So the obvious assumptions to take from that Is, that the Fans, the Atmosphere they generate and Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher were just as influential in selling the club to Cole as Roy was.

To be honest mate I'm not having a dig at Roy, I'm just looking at the broader picture clearly and not getting caught up in a wave of optimisim/fandism.

Yes you're right in what you say, but I just couldn't see him coming to Liverpool with Rafa as boss. Either he'd not want him or Joe Cole wouldn't have wanted to play under him.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #65: Aug 09, 2010 12:03:06 am
      You cant predict things like that!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #66: Aug 09, 2010 12:07:56 am
      Yes you're right in what you say, but I just couldn't see him coming to Liverpool with Rafa as boss. Either he'd not want him or Joe Cole wouldn't have wanted to play under him.

Depends on what you read to be honest mate, whilst Rafa was still here and the lads were at The World Cup, it was reported we were losing Torres and Gerrard, the latter stating in a live interview with the BBC that he would still be here next season, a part of the story the BBC kindly left out when they reproduced it in print and I showed that clearly when I posted a link to the live interview.

I still believe Roy played his part in the signings, even if the signings were selected as targets and scouted by Rafa and his team.

In the same breath though I believe Rafa could have brought the players here too, sometimes regardless of the manager clubs just sell themselves, Liverpool F.C is lucky enough to be one of them clubs.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #67: Aug 09, 2010 12:10:52 am

Let's turn this around Blood, for you and crouchinho. Does it really pain you to say that Roy brought Cole here?.

By making these comments you are just trying to discredit Roy and all the good work he has done, just like crouchinho did in the manager thread.

Jovanovic clearly stated that Rafa's departure had no bearing on his proposed move as he'd signed for Liverpool Football Club. I will agree that he was a Rafa target.

To say Cole was specifically Rafa's target is pointless, every man and his dog were after Cole. He was a lot of manager's target, so to attribute that to Rafa is wrong. The only conversation that mattered to Cole was the one he had at length with Roy Hodgson. He had to receive assurances from a purely footballing aspect and only Roy could give him these. Not Gerrard, not Carra and most certainly not Purslow either. If you want to say Rafa's target or signing then fair enough mate.

Kenny Dalglish was the driving force behind the Wilson deal, not Rafa and certainly not his scouts either. It was Dalglish who pushed for him, that is common knowledge. Wilson has clearly stated himself that the interest shown by Dalglish was the key in his choice to move to Liverpool. That is a fact, though if you believe he was Rafa's target, then fair enough.
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010 12:19:30 am by hardcoresoldier »
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #68: Aug 09, 2010 12:21:23 am
      Well done KennyIsKing, for being honest in your opinion that is. And also for sticking to your guns and not changing your mind like others are doing. Your opinion i will respect. Though you will be proven wrong.

Rafa was slated for his 'safety first' approach and rightly so. We were never going to win the League with his philosophy. Now Roy has a chance to go for it and he is not even asking for five years either.

In relation to his CV, has he ever worked with such a talented group of players before?. No.

He had a pretty good group at Inter, and that didn't work out too well second time around.

I really hope he does prove me wrong, but for me, a manager in the twilight of his career who has never won anything of significance, and who has such a high percentage of draws, sin't going to take us forwards.

He has my support, and a certain degree of respect because of the way he has conducted himself - but I see him as a stop-gap rather than someone with the attributes to build a dynasty.

Quick Reply