Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Roy the Right Man for Liverpool FC? (added 9 September 2010)

Yes
      (7.3%)
      No
      (80.2%)
      Undecided
      (12.5%)

Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)

Read 514673 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)
      Reply #69: Aug 09, 2010 12:29:52 am
      Let's turn this around Blood, for you and crouchinho. Does it really pain you to say that Roy brought Cole here?.

Nope it doesn't at all, and as I have already admitted Roy played his part in the deal, just as much as the Fans and the Atmosphere and Carra and Gerrard selling the club to him.

Would Roy have identified Joe Cole as a transfer target and compiled a detailed scouting report on him whilst he was manager of Fulham ?

The answer is no.

So he will have rightly may I add used the resources that were already here and available to him in terms of the scouting reports/dossiers that had already been compiled on the player.

By making these comments you are just trying to discredit Roy and all the good work he has done, just like croudhinho did in the manager thread.

I'm not trying to discredit him at all mate, I'm looking at the whole situation in a broader perspective and taking all the facts into consideration and looking at the situation objectively.

Jovanovic clearly stated that Rafa's departure had no bearing on his proposed move as he'd signed for Liverpool Football Club. I will agree that he was a Rafa target.

That much is true as I have already stated.

To say Cole was specifically Rafa's target is pointless, every man and his dog were after Cole. He was a lot of manager's target, so to attribute that to Rafa is wrong. The only conversation that mattered to Cole was the one he had at length with Roy Hodgson. He had to receive assurances from a purely footballing aspect and only Roy could give him these. Not Gerrard, not Carra and most certainly not Purslow either. If you want to say Rafa's target or signing then fair enough mate.

I'm not saying he was specifically Rafa's target mate, I'd have to be wet between the ears to even suggest that, however one thing I do know is he was never a Roy Hodgson target at Fulham so no scout reports or dossiers would have been compiled on the player at Roy Hodgson's discretion.

As for the only Conversations that mattered where the ones with Roy, that's bollocks mate the Convo's with Carra & Gerrard and most probably Johnson too will have played some part in his decision as will have the discussion from a footballing perspective from Roy as will the financial perspective from Purslow. Bearing in Mind Cole text Purslow, not Roy when he agreed to join us then turned his phone off.

Kenny Dalglish was the driving force behind the Wilson deal, not Rafa and certainly not his scouts either. It was Dalglish who pushed for him, that is common knowledge. Wilson has clearly stated himself that the interest shown by Dalglish was the key in his choice to move to Liverpool. That is a fact, though if you believe he was Rafa's target, then fair enough.

That maybe the case that Wilson was selected by Kenny Dalglish given the role in which he was employed by the Club, Wilson will then still have been scouted and a dossier prepeared on the player in anticipation of a bid, So once again Roy quite possibly used the Dossiers compiled by our scouts when deciding to make an offer on the player.

The Jist I'm getting at here is I'm not knocking Roy in anyway, but I'm not going to give him a massive pat on the back and credit for a lot of work he clearly has not had the full input in, that would just be blind and uneducated in my opinion.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #70: Aug 09, 2010 12:40:01 am
      He had a pretty good group at Inter, and that didn't work out too well second time around.

I really hope he does prove me wrong, but for me, a manager in the twilight of his career who has never won anything of significance, and who has such a high percentage of draws, sin't going to take us forwards.

He has my support, and a certain degree of respect because of the way he has conducted himself - but I see him as a stop-gap rather than someone with the attributes to build a dynasty.

Oh yeah, silly me. That second spell, all three games, two wins and one draw of it, which he only did as a favour to Moratti as a thank you for his previous spell at the Club, where he is greatly respected by the fans and still is to this day.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #71: Aug 09, 2010 01:37:39 am
      Oh yeah, silly me. That second spell, all three games, two wins and one draw of it, which he only did as a favour to Moratti as a thank you for his previous spell at the Club, where he is greatly respected by the fans and still is to this day.

Including the gmes where he was boo'd off the pitch, which is why he only lasted 3 games.

His record doesn't bear scrutiny at the highest level, full stop.

Lets take a look at his first spell at inter shall we?
      played 86, won 38, drew 25 and lost 23.

Is that the record of a top manager to lead is into a golden era of free flowing football?

Only once has he had a win ratio of over 50% - and that's sh*t in anyones book.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #72: Aug 09, 2010 01:51:25 am
      Only once has he had a win ratio of over 50% - and that's sh*t in anyones book.

At Liverpool he has a 100% record and that's F***ing quality in my book!
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #73: Aug 09, 2010 02:38:17 am
      At Liverpool he has a 100% record and that's F***ing quality in my book!

Wait til christmas before making that comment - I can guarantee he'll be below 50%

And no, he only has a 100% record in the 2 competetive matches we've played.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #74: Aug 09, 2010 02:41:56 am
      At Liverpool he has a 100% record and that's f**king quality in my book!

DLS, come on 2 wins against european minnows does not make you a quality manager does it?

I think roy has to convince he is the right man by putting us back where we belong and some how i dont think he can,when the honeymoon period ends and results dont go our way then roy will be under svere pressure to deliver the goods.

I got slatted for saying i support roy reluctantley i was not happy he was given the job i thought others like pellegrini could have been the better choice one for playing fluid football the second to attract top players.

Also for those who are shouting from the roof tops about how much we needed an english manager could you please remind me when the last english manager won the old 1st division or the champions leauge.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #75: Aug 09, 2010 03:26:12 am
      Wait til christmas before making that comment - I can guarantee he'll be below 50%

Competitive games are what matter. And pre-season friendlies don't go down in a manager's matches record.

Two games, two wins. 100% record. FACT.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #76: Aug 09, 2010 03:30:37 am
      DLS, come on 2 wins against european minnows does not make you a quality manager does it?

Did I say it did?

I think roy has to convince he is the right man by putting us back where we belong and some how i dont think he can,when the honeymoon period ends and results dont go our way then roy will be under svere pressure to deliver the goods.

No manager has put us back where we belong since 1990. Champions of England is where we belong and we've failed for 20 years to do that under four different managers.

I got slatted for saying i support roy reluctantley i was not happy he was given the job i thought others like pellegrini could have been the better choice one for playing fluid football the second to attract top players.

Since Roy arrived we've played fluid football in the two competitive games we've taken played. And during his time he's persuaded Gerrard and Torres to stay as well as bring in Joe Cole. I'd say that's attracting top players.

Also for those who are shouting from the roof tops about how much we needed an english manager could you please remind me when the last english manager won the old 1st division or the champions leauge.

Finally those shouting from the roof tops for Pelligrini, could you please remind me when the last Chilean or any South American manager won the Premiership or any division in England?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #77: Aug 09, 2010 04:15:29 am
      Let's turn this around Blood, for you and crouchinho. Does it really pain you to say that Roy brought Cole here?.

Don't know why you brought me into this but anyhow.

Quite simply, Joe Cole was already favouring Liverpool in South Africa thanks to Gerrard and Carra. One he met the boss, he was 100% committed. As i said in an earlier post (which is why i think you've mentioned me there) Roy played his part, and so did Carra/Steven.

I like Roy as a man and i'll back him as our manager religiously but i want to see some sort of results on the pitch in the regular season before i judge him. I think it's the fairest way. He hasn't gone through the motions yet with the pressures of the fans and the media, as well as Purslow, so i want to know how he'll handle it and how he will get his team up for a fight and win some games.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #78: Aug 09, 2010 04:16:05 am
      He definitely is the right man based on the sterling job he's done the past month or so.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #79: Aug 09, 2010 09:42:24 am
      Of course the question is about the here and now mate. Come on now bbb, let's play the game here shall we?.

Okay, if the question's about "here and now" then i've already answered it hardcore.

The discussions and debate on this thread, however, seemed to move away (at a rapid pace) from the "here and now" to both the past and the future. That's where my confusion lay and still lies, if i'm being honest.

When you ask me to "play the game" do you want me to proffer opinion on things like past signings and how Roy may preform in future? I'll give it a go but how it will help decide if Roy's the right man, i don't know. :-\

* Signings: There's a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest that Roy's role was relatively minor in recent signings. Similarly there's a school of thought that suggests that without Roy's input, the signings may not have happened.

It could well be that Joe Cole, (for example), would have come to Liverpool anyway had Guus Hiddink, (for example), been manager. Similarly; it could well be that Joe Cole, (for example), would not have come to Liverpool if Rafa Benitez (for example), had still been manager.

Which is the truth? - I don't know and i really couldn't give a F**k. I get my head 'round it by just accepting (and being glad) he signed for Liverpool F.C.

I do know, however, that until the ownership issue is resolved Roy will be hamstrung by our 'sell to buy' policy and left shopping in the bargain basement - much like his predecessor, in fact.

* The future: - In the short term i'm expecting an improvement on last season (it shouldn't be too hard). I expect Roy to get more from players who (for whatever reason) played sh*te last season. I want Roy to have a plan B, introduce young talent and drop out of form players. Will all of the above happen? - Only time will tell so there's not much point on guessing in all honesty.

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010 05:08:58 pm by bad boy bubby »
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #80: Aug 09, 2010 09:50:52 pm
      I guess only time will tell if Roy is the right man or not. I suppose it all depends on what your expectations are!
      Have to say i'm impressed by him so far.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #81: Aug 09, 2010 10:58:58 pm
      Nope it doesn't at all, and as I have already admitted Roy played his part in the deal, just as much as the Fans and the Atmosphere and Carra and Gerrard selling the club to him.

Would Roy have identified Joe Cole as a transfer target and compiled a detailed scouting report on him whilst he was manager of Fulham ?

The answer is no.

So he will have rightly may I add used the resources that were already here and available to him in terms of the scouting reports/dossiers that had already been compiled on the player.

I'm not trying to discredit him at all mate, I'm looking at the whole situation in a broader perspective and taking all the facts into consideration and looking at the situation objectively.

I'm not saying he was specifically Rafa's target mate, I'd have to be wet between the ears to even suggest that, however one thing I do know is he was never a Roy Hodgson target at Fulham so no scout reports or dossiers would have been compiled on the player at Roy Hodgson's discretion.

As for the only Conversations that mattered where the ones with Roy, that's bollocks mate the Convo's with Carra & Gerrard and most probably Johnson too will have played some part in his decision as will have the discussion from a footballing perspective from Roy as will the financial perspective from Purslow. Bearing in Mind Cole text Purslow, not Roy when he agreed to join us then turned his phone off.

That maybe the case that Wilson was selected by Kenny Dalglish given the role in which he was employed by the Club, Wilson will then still have been scouted and a dossier prepeared on the player in anticipation of a bid, So once again Roy quite possibly used the Dossiers compiled by our scouts when deciding to make an offer on the player.

The Jist I'm getting at here is I'm not knocking Roy in anyway, but I'm not going to give him a massive pat on the back and credit for a lot of work he clearly has not had the full input in, that would just be blind and uneducated in my opinion.

The answer is no.

Joe Cole came here for purely footballing reasons. He has stated this many times now. Regardless of Carra and Gerrard and the world famous atmosphere and fans. His main concern was that he would not become a bit part player as he was at Chelsea. He had better offers from other Clubs, but his main concern was playing football more often than not. However you wish to dress it up only Roy Hodgson could give him this assurance.

Do you honestly think that Fulham had the pulling power to attract Joe Cole?, one of the best players in Europe. That is a ridiculous comparison and comment to make. And may I add this, if any manager needs a scout report to tell him how awesome Joe Cole is then they shouldn't be f**king managing any Football Club.

If you really believe that Joe Cole believed a single word that came out of Purslow's mouth then you are deluded. Either that or Joe Cole is thicker than a whale omelette. Oh yeah, that text, that explains everything, why didn't I think of that?, oh I forgot, I'm uneducated?.

It's not 'maybe the case', it is the case.

Look past the transfers Blood. He's had just over a month to try and revitalise a Club full of negativity and bullshit. He's had a positive effect on the Club. He's had a lot of problems to sort out too. From the roots up as well may I add. I'm not going to repeat myself here as I have made my points in the Roy Hodgson Manager thread. From what I've seen so far he's had a positive impact on the Club. And after a season of dire clueless football and witnessing players that were clearly unhappy it is great to see a positive vibe. Roy has brought that.

Rafa's gone, but to read your posts mate, any neutral would think that he's still here. And for the record, there is no difference between a scout report and a dossier mate, a dossier is a compilation of scout reports on any one player, so it is the same thing. A dossier being the plural.

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010 11:22:10 pm by hardcoresoldier »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #82: Aug 09, 2010 11:03:10 pm

No you cant
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #83: Aug 09, 2010 11:07:23 pm
      We didn't but my oh my, it did once take us pretty fooking close ;D

Agreed, close it was. Second is nothing.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #84: Aug 09, 2010 11:10:12 pm

That's quite a bold statement there sir. Care to put a wager on that sir?. And it's competitive by the way.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #85: Aug 09, 2010 11:19:42 pm
      Depends on what you read to be honest mate, whilst Rafa was still here and the lads were at The World Cup, it was reported we were losing Torres and Gerrard, the latter stating in a live interview with the BBC that he would still be here next season, a part of the story the BBC kindly left out when they reproduced it in print and I showed that clearly when I posted a link to the live interview.

I still believe Roy played his part in the signings, even if the signings were selected as targets and scouted by Rafa and his team.

In the same breath though I believe Rafa could have brought the players here too, sometimes regardless of the manager clubs just sell themselves, Liverpool F.C is lucky enough to be one of them clubs.

That's the point mate. Nobody is saying that Rafa wouldn't have brought these players here, but people are quick to say that Roy didn't bring them here when it's quite blatantly obvious that he did.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      Reply #86: Aug 09, 2010 11:52:01 pm
      Okay, if the question's about "here and now" then I've already answered it hardcore.

The discussions and debate on this thread, however, seemed to move away (at a rapid pace) from the "here and now" to both the past and the future. That's where my confusion lay and still lies, if I'm being honest.

When you ask me to "play the game" do you want me to proffer opinion on things like past signings and how Roy may preform in future? I'll give it a go but how it will help decide if Roy's the right man, I don't know. :-\

* Signings: There's a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest that Roy's role was relatively minor in recent signings. Similarly there's a school of thought that suggests that without Roy's input, the signings may not have happened.

It could well be that Joe Cole, (for example), would have come to Liverpool anyway had Guus Hiddink, (for example), been manager. Similarly; it could well be that Joe Cole, (for example), would not have come to Liverpool if Rafa Benitez (for example), had still been manager.

Which is the truth? - I don't know and I really couldn't give a f**k. I get my head 'round it by just accepting (and being glad) he signed for Liverpool F.C.

I do know, however, that until the ownership issue is resolved Roy will be hamstrung by our 'sell to buy' policy and left shopping in the bargain basement - much like his predecessor, in fact.

* The future: - In the short term I'm expecting an improvement on last season (it shouldn't be too hard). I expect Roy to get more from players who (for whatever reason) played sh*te last season. I want Roy to have a plan B, introduce young talent and drop out of form players. Will all of the above happen? - Only time will tell so there's not much point on guessing in all honesty.

Very good post bubby. My main point is that Roy will get more out of the players than Rafa did last season.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1649 
      Reply #87: Aug 10, 2010 12:25:01 am
      Can we avoid this becoming a Roy vs Rafa debate. Rafa is gone now, and I hope that Roy is more successful for us, trophy-wise, than Rafa was, especially if we get new, decent owners in.

Up to now, Roy has performed all we could expect of him. But I doubt that anyone will be passing any serious judgement until the season proper has started for us. So maybe Xmas/towards the end of the season, we will all draw our own conclusions. But for now, Roy hasn't done anything spectacular, or cocked up massively...unless he signs Poulson :p.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #88: Aug 10, 2010 12:54:20 am
      That's the point mate. Nobody is saying that Rafa wouldn't have brought these players here, but people are quick to say that Roy didn't bring them here when it's quite blatantly obvious that he did.

Hate to say it, but it wasn't Roy Hodgson who brought Cole here, it was Christian Purslow, Roy even admitted that Joe spoke to Purslow and it was only after he signed that he spoke to Roy.

To be really honest I think it's a far too crass thread to be starting. I'd rather get behind the manager than try criticise him and that's from someone who was heavily pro-Rafa.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #89: Aug 10, 2010 12:57:45 am
      Well there was not a great raft of managers waiting for us mainly due to the tw*ts in charge
      but fair play to Roy for having the bottle to take it on ,he didn,t even know what team he would be left with ,while not overly enthusiastic about his tactics last year especially the ones he employed against us at home ,that was mainly due to the limited players available to him .
      I have seen more smiles on the players faces in the first two games than i have for the last two season,s under Rafa ,who,s biggest mistake i feel was playing too many players out of position on too many occasions ,it pissed us off enough times, one can only imagine the effect on the players in the dressing room ,that is one mistake i feel Roy will not make unless forced to by a run of injuries.

In a short space of time he has restored a bit of harmony to the dressing room which is a bit of a miracle going by the ending of last season, and the uncertainty of players leaving in the summer. I also think had Rafa stayed we could have lost some of them as there was obvious discontent there
      As i have stated before i can take losing but to drive 400 odd miles to witness some of the sh*t we played last season made for some depressing rides home ,i am quietly confident that wont be the case this season ,oh yes we might lose a few, but i feel Roy will at least put players in the right positions and at least give us the mantra to go and win, and not sit back and just hope that something happens.

We have given every manager a fair crack at it and i don't see why it should be any different now ,so while Roy has the reigns he has to be the right man and we should treat him accordingly and lets just hope he has that little bit of lady luck that you have to have to win things.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #90: Aug 10, 2010 10:17:32 am
      Is it me or does any one think its a bit disrespectfull ( and aggravating )to read Roy being referred to as woy.Skitting his slight speech impedamant is not very nice imho.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #91: Aug 10, 2010 11:14:03 am
      I'd be interested to know what the club's expectations of Roy are for his first season. They must have set his some kind of target to achieve....? I'd guess that after last year and with the current transfer kitty, they'd settle for anything above 7th place? To expect CL qualification would be unrealistic at the moment I feel.

Quick Reply