Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Roy the Right Man for Liverpool FC? (added 9 September 2010)

Yes
      (7.3%)
      No
      (80.2%)
      Undecided
      (12.5%)

Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)

Read 511570 times
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Re: Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)
      Reply #7038: Dec 13, 2010 01:06:51 pm
      I don't see how sacking him now and replacing him with .....? would be necessarily the best move. If I KNEW they would bring Dalglish in then maybe. Otherwise our choices are going to be very limited almost half way through a season, most of the type of managers we need (successful) will be fighting for trophies and not looking to move part way through a season. If we want a mediocre manager sure there are plenty available but why change ?  If we want the type of manager our great club deserves and needs we may have to wait till the summer.  

Was a little bored at work so I thought I would have a go at trying to work where we are gonna finish this season. Bear with me this is a little long winided and may have been done by someone else at some point but here goes:

2009/2010 we finished 7th in the league

Liverpool           pld 38  w18  d9  l11 f61 a35 gd+26 pts63

Home w13 l3 d3 =  42pts   points per game = 2.21              
      Away w5 l8 d6    =  21 pts   points per game = 1.1

This season we are currently 9th in the league

Liverpool   pld17   w6  d4  l7   f21 a22 gd-1 pts22

Home w5 l1 d2 = 17pts      Points per game = 2.12
      Away w1  l6 d2 = 5pts      points per game = 0.55555

Last season after 19 games we on 30pts and 7th in the league
      Over the course of the season half (50%) our total points tally came from away games.

This season after 17 games we are 9th in the league with 22pts
      Only 22.7% of our points so far are down to away fixtures

Using above points per game and unless our form dramatically changes our final points total for the season will look something like this:

Home = 40.28
      Away = 10.5555
      Total = 50.8
      Rounded up this would be approx. 51points for the season
      Which based on last season’s (2009 – 2010) league positions would see us finish 9th
      Spurs finished 4th on 70 pts

For Liverpool to finish on 70pts this season we need to win 75 - 80% of our remaining 21 leagues games, games which include

Everton    home            
         Chelsea    away            
              Manchester United    home            
          Manchester City    home            
         Arsenal    away            
          Tottenham Hotspur    home            

Out of these last 21 games we have 11 at home and 10 away, bearing in mind that so far we have played 9 away games and only managed 5 poionts so far this season, I would suggest that we need to win all of oue home games to stand any chance of getting into the top four.   

This in turn illustrates that we do need to replace him now and we can't wait until summer. If we wait until summer, we risk not even qualifying for the Europa forget about champions league and this in turn will lead to players like Torres, Reina, Agger leaving.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7039: Dec 13, 2010 01:25:32 pm
      This man has not nor never had aspirations for a title fight. In fact listening to him he doesnt have aspirations to qualify for the champions league. He'd be pleased with a top half finish. Liverpool FC manager happy finishing inside the top 10? F**k off

Saturday why did he not throw on Cole to see would he change the game. He might not have in fact probably wouldn't have but surely to have a player of his calibre on the bench and not to put him on at 2 1 down is moronic?

Whats his away record now? He's a joke. His career is made up of clubs like Grasshoppers no disrespect to them but theya rent a big big club. Hes a mid table manager and its showing because thats were we are going to end up.

He needs to go and go now
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7040: Dec 13, 2010 01:29:18 pm
       Well I'm very sure (or is it quite sure I can't decide) that almost no matter what Hodgson does, he isn't going to be able to unite the fan base behind him. It could well be that after the previous manager we were on the rebound a bit, or a lot of the fans were, and Hodgson looks like for many he's going to be the fall guy.

That's not really important in the overall scheme of things, what is much more important than that is that we end up with the absolute right bloke next time. I know many won't agree with me, but I think Hodgson is the latest in a long line of decent managers we've had. Houllier did fairly well, Rafa did fairly well, and so far Hodgson hasn't but my guess is he would if he were given the opportunity (which he surely won't be). We really need IMHO to find the next Shankly from somewhere, someone who comes in an revitalises the club from top to bottom, someone who is big enough and brave enough to make the big decsions.

There are many big decisions to make. The squad is littered with average players, and if you have too many of those you have too many average performances. The Lucas's and the Kuyt's and the Skyrtels and the Konchesky's and the Maxi's WILL play well from time to time because they have a performance in them. Unfortunately they won't produce it consistently though simply because they are average players. ALL of them would be good enough if they were one of only two or three average players in the team, but we have far more than that. A new manager needs to make big decisions about some of these players, he needs to spend big money and get the aquisitions right first time.

As for the likes of Torres, quite simply he either wants to play for us or he doesn't. Roy wasn't brave enough as far as Torres was concerned against Newcastle, he should have hauled him off at half time as I'm afraid our star man wasn't breaking sweat. Yes he would have got slaughtered by many on the forums, but it would absolutely have been the right thing to do.

I don't really mind who it is, but I do know this much. As and when the new fella comes in, the fans absolutely have to get behind him properly. All this harking back to managers in the past does nobody any favours, all this mock indignation if we lose one or the manager says something which can even slightly be misconstrued is counter-productive.

The club needs to unite, and the fans need to unite. Please God when we do take the plunge, we get a proper top quality manager. Looking at the bunch of players we have, anything less and we are going to see more of the same for a long time I'm afraid.    
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2010 01:35:38 pm by bigmick »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #7041: Dec 13, 2010 01:36:31 pm
      Hodgson is not a fall guy or anything else, he cannot do the job required of him.
      Stopped reading right there! How can he be described as a fall guy? The club is on it's knees if that's of any relevance.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7042: Dec 13, 2010 01:41:12 pm
      Hodgson is not a fall guy or anything else, he cannot do the job required of him.

Whatever, it's not really important whether or not people believe he was given a fair crack of the whip or not. He "cannot do the job required of him", but my contention is that with the players we've got pretty much nobody could. Most people on here rate Rafa very highly, and he got this squad of players into 7th in the league. Most people on here don't rate Hodgson at all, and he will no doubt end up with a similar result.

Quite simply IMHO, we need less average players and more good ones. Equally, we need a manager who has the fans and the club and the players united behind him. We haven't got that at the moment which is why we'll change the manager at some point, but when we make that change not only do we need the next guy to be absolutely the right one, but we need as a fan base to support him as well.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #7043: Dec 13, 2010 01:48:54 pm
      There was only one fall guy out of this shambles and still continues to be and that is none other than Rafa Benitez.

Last season according to 'sources' rafa lost the whole of the dressing room so why does roy seem to be struggling with the same players at his disposal? One only reason i can find is that roy does not know how to maximise the full potential of quality players or he is taking instructions from purslow how to pick a team and formation.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7044: Dec 13, 2010 01:55:04 pm
      http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/12/13/2258721/at-this-rate-liverpool-may-not-finish-in-the-top-half-of-the

At this rate Liverpool may not finish in the top half of the Premier League - Roy Hodgson

Former Fulham boss disappointed with defeat to Newcastle United
      By Adithya Ananth
      13 Dec 2010 09:07:00

Roy Hodgson has conceded that Liverpool may not finish in the top half of the Premier League unless their performances on away days improve significantly.

The Reds have been strong on Merseyside this season, despite a notable loss against Blackpool, as their home form is bettered only by Chelsea and Manchester United.

However, if the league table were to be reconstructed solely based on a club's travels, the team would plummed down to the 17th position in the standings.

This is due to the fact that Hodgson's charges have won only one of their nine games away from Anfield, and have a goal difference of -10 from their away trips.

It was more of the same in a recent game against Newcastle United at St James' Park, where the team fell to a 3-1 defeat to hand a dream start to Alan Pardew's reign as the boss of the Tyneside club.

"I don't know what the right word is to describe how I'm feeling," Hodgson said, according to the Liverpool Daily Post.

"But at the moment I'm extremely disappointed and rather angry we couldn't produce a better performance.

"But I'll have to get over it. If you want to work in football you have to get over these things.

"Our away form continues to be very, very poor and it's something we need to do something about.
      If we'd played the whole of 90 minutes as we played the first 45 minutes maybe I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am.

"For a team that wants to be in the top half of the table, our away form is not good enough."

Hodgson also encountered a similar concern when he was the manager of Fulham, as the Cottagers won only one league game away from home last season.    !!!!!

Last line.
      Doesnt that tell you something?

So Roy is preparing us for his failure.
      When it goes wrong its we or us.
      Its only his disappointment though. No one else is upset.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2010 02:14:50 pm by eurored »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7045: Dec 13, 2010 02:03:22 pm
      He needs to focus on our attacking, tactically instead of how to defend this and that.

Fair enough, we could concede more but as long as we're scoring more, it's all the 3 points that I want at the moment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #7046: Dec 13, 2010 02:06:52 pm
      Whatever, it's not really important whether or not people believe he was given a fair crack of the whip or not. He "cannot do the job required of him", but my contention is that with the players we've got pretty much nobody could. Most people on here rate Rafa very highly, and he got this squad of players into 7th in the league. Most people on here don't rate Hodgson at all, and he will no doubt end up with a similar result.

Quite simply IMHO, we need less average players and more good ones. Equally, we need a manager who has the fans and the club and the players united behind him. We haven't got that at the moment which is why we'll change the manager at some point, but when we make that change not only do we need the next guy to be absolutely the right one, but we need as a fan base to support him as well.
      He was given a squad containing average players to do an average job by the previous F**k ups, there are of course exceptions to the rule in the present team, we do still have some star men.
      The longer he stays the less likely it is that any exceptions remain and we are stuck with mediocrity every which way. These are the long term ramifications of his tenure and the phrase "long term" is optimistic in the extreme in that we are facing obscurity RIGHT NOW.
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #7047: Dec 13, 2010 02:07:29 pm
      As for the likes of Torres, quite simply he either wants to play for us or he doesn't.

There are so many points in your statement that i could've picked out and "debated" with you but cant be arsed going over old ground again and again. The one thing i will pick you up on is about Torres. You like the media seem to be questioning the guys desire to play for us, I would quite simply answer that by saying, if didnt want to he could've gone in the summer. He couldve blamed it on a number of things and I dont think many fans would've blamed him for going. The fact that Rafa was sacked, the fact H & G were still in charge and it looked as though no proper investment was going to be made in terms of quality players, the fact that we didnt qualify for the champions league. He could've cited all these reasons and requsted a transfer but he CHOSE to stay, which means he does want to play for the club.

If you look at Torres's home form v. his away form ask yourself the following questions:

1. Why is it he only looks "disinterested" away from home?
      2. Why is at anfield he looks fit and sharp but away from home he looks lathargic?
      3. Why is it in an injury hit season last yr he scored 18 goals in 22 appreances but this season hes only managed 5 in 16 appearances?
      4. Why is it he has only scored 1 away goal this season?

I honestly belive that when you look at the answers to all four of these questions it points squarely at the door or should i say chin of roy hodgson. At home we play a far more pressing game, with players up alongside Torres to support him. Away from home Hodgson continually chooses to play a more defensive approach, we sit back and allow teams possession and then when we do get the ball it is invariably hacked forward towards Torres who is then expected to play not like the world class player he is but like the white emile heskey. Hes meant to play like an good old english centre forward who holds the ball and waits for team mates to join him by which time however he normally has 2-3 defenders around him. If you cant see this then i suggest spec savers may be able to help.

The worrying thing about all of this is that, top quality managers can change their style according to the players they have at their disposal, however Hodgson seems only to have one style of play. His version of how the game should be played and his philosphy is that all his teams should play his brand of football regardless of the players he has at his disposal. Dont change the sysytem to suit the players, instead change the players to suit the system.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7048: Dec 13, 2010 02:08:26 pm
      There was only one fall guy out of this shambles and still continues to be and that is none other than Rafa Benitez.

Last season according to 'sources' rafa lost the whole of the dressing room so why does roy seem to be struggling with the same players at his disposal? One only reason I can find is that roy does not know how to maximise the full potential of quality players or he is taking instructions from purslow how to pick a team and formation.

While meanwhile over in Italy Rafa takes instructions from Parry ?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7049: Dec 13, 2010 02:21:26 pm
      I had ESPN on before and a programme was on called 'press pack' or something and they were talking about Hodgson and saying Comolli has released a statement saying that "there's no truth in the rumours that Hodgson is about to be sacked".

I can't find a statement on the net but could this be a preemptive statement to gauge reaction before putting us out of our misery? God I hope so.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #7050: Dec 13, 2010 02:23:38 pm
      Roy I don't want to be 'in the top half of the table'.  50 odd years of history suggests we all expect it.  I 'want' to be in the top four.

What is this guy on?  How can he get away with attempting to lower our expectations on a weekly basis.
      Smigger
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #7051: Dec 13, 2010 02:25:32 pm
      I had ESPN on before and a programme was on called 'press pack' or something and they were talking about Hodgson and saying Comolli has released a statement saying that "there's no truth in the rumours that Hodgson is about to be sacked".

I can't find a statement on the net but could this be a preemptive statement to gauge reaction before putting us out of our misery? God I hope so.

No it was soft ollies Babel on his Twitter yesterday talking about his record company called CEO saying there was a meeting, people took that as a meeting with the LFC board.
      Unfortunalty for us its not true that the budgie is about to be sacked.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #7052: Dec 13, 2010 02:42:41 pm
      Havent been on here for awhile as it makes me too depressed.

Still cant believe he's here :(

LFCexiled
      Reply #7053: Dec 13, 2010 02:44:39 pm
      Impartiality at its best..................

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #7054: Dec 13, 2010 02:46:06 pm
       Fraggle can you in all honesty say we played a long ball style and asked Torres to play as an English style centre forward away to Spurs, or away to Newcastle? If the answer to that is yes, then you are allowing your dislike of the manager to cloud your judgement fella. Torres was absolutely awful in the first half against Newcatle (he did improve marginally in the second half) and the main reason was that he failed to control the ball on at least half a dozen occasions when it was passed into his feet. Having miscontrolled it, he didn't expend any energy in trying to win it back. Far from playing as a "target man", Torres quite simple wasn't showing for the ball at all.

Anyway I'll run through your list of questions.

1. I think he has looked disinterested in the majority of our games this season. Home and away. He certainly didn't look disinterested away to Spurs though, although he didn't look very good despite his interest. He seems to me to be only willing and able to get up for the bigger matches at the moment. As to why, I don't know.

2. As previously stated I don't agree with the premise of the question.

3. Because he was playing much better than he currently is. The World Cup was coming at the end of the season, and he looked interested in every game.

4. Because we have played sh!t away from home, and we've had some very difficult fixtures. Also as already stated, he is playing very poorly.   

Now is all that Hodgsons fault? Well some of it is obviously. If we are playing sh!t away from Home, it's Hodgsons fault. It's always the managers fault to an extent. I've never been one for making silly excuses about off field distractions, injuries, muddy pitches, referees, beach balls and the other nonsense people talk about much of the time. If the team is playing sh!t, the buck stops with the manager, no argument with that. What I can't away from though is effort or lack thereof. Torres is going through the motions, and whilst once again the manager is culpable because it's his job to motivate the player, I would expect more from Torres who is my favourite striker to ever have worn a Liverpool shirt.

What you say at the end about managers modifying their philosophy to suit the players is absolutely spot on. Nobody who has watched our last couple of away games could come to the conclusion that we haven't modified our philosophy, and fair enough we needed to. There's little point it seems to me in taking over a team and rigidly asking them to completely change their method just because you are a new manager. Admittedly it didn't apply to us, but even managers who take over previously very successful teams run the risk of making a complete nonsense of things if they do that. managers must be humble enough and clever enoguh to adopt their approach to suit the surroundings they find themselves in, I totally agree with you there.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #7055: Dec 13, 2010 02:52:02 pm
      Regardless of tactics and selections and media mistakes and all the other reasons to sack him...

Roy has just conceded that the most successful club in England may not make the top half under his leadership. With the players he has got there is not excuse.

Trampling on the legacy of his predecessors. Sack. Him. Soon.
      Smigger
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #7056: Dec 13, 2010 02:55:35 pm
      Regardless of tactics and selections and media mistakes and all the other reasons to sack him...

Roy has just conceded that the most successful club in England may not make the top half under his leadership. With the players he has got there is not excuse.

Its shocking mate it really is, are the owners deaf and blind? To his constant bullshit he says to the media? Theres lowering expectations and there is thinking that liverpool fans are stupid and naive this fella takes the piss he really does.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #7057: Dec 13, 2010 03:02:05 pm

It seems that roy is hell bent on getting manure and his pal fergie the 19th title.

He is not fit to represent the most illustrious club in the land.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #7058: Dec 13, 2010 03:26:33 pm
      It seems that roy is hell bent on getting manure and his pal fergie the 19th title.

He is not fit to represent the most illustrious club in the land.
      Haha so you think Rafa or another manager would have us winning the league and stopping them?
      fraggle786
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | 15 
      Reply #7059: Dec 13, 2010 03:32:13 pm
      Haha so you think Rafa or another manager would have us winning the league and stopping them?

Maybe not but at least we wouldn't be conceeding games before kick off.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7060: Dec 13, 2010 03:33:59 pm

Yes.

Quick Reply