Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Blackpool Chairman Resigns

Read 907 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,325 posts | 8602 
      Blackpool Chairman Resigns
      Aug 19, 2010 10:26:57 am
      Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston resigns

Blackpool have announced that Karl Oyston has resigned as chairman and a director of the newly promoted Premier League club with immediate effect.

Oyston will stay on as acting chief executive until the end of the season or until a replacement is found.

The club emphasised that his departure would not affect player recruitment or the upgrade of Bloomfield Road.

Oyston, 43, has previously admitted to being disillusioned with player agents' influence in the Premier League.

He revealed earlier in August that he had told the club's board that he would resign if they disagreed with his approach to the club's return to the top flight.

Oyston has been determined to keep the Seasiders' spending under control after they overcame Cardiff in the Championship play-off final and is reported to have imposed a £10,000-a-week wage limit on the squad.

Even in the aftermath of his team's 4-0 win away at Wigan in their opening league game on Saturday, Oyston insisted that his offer to stand down was still there.

"I expected the way people behaved to be different and I have been very disappointed in the way some agents have conducted themselves," he told the Independent newspaper.

"The more I talk to other Premier League clubs the more I realise I am a lone voice."

Despite the allure of top-flight football, manager Ian Holloway has found it hard to attract some of his targets to the club under Oyston's financial restrictions.

Striker DJ Campbell, whose goals saw off Nottingham Forest in the play-off semi-final, returned to Leicester at the end of his loan spell, while free agent Robert Koren opted to move to Hull.

The club have however signed Craig Cathcart, Marlon Harewood, Elliot Grandin, Malaury Martin, Ludovic Sylvestre, Chris Basham and Dekel Keinan.

Oyston's father, Owen, remains as majority shareholder at the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/8925912.stm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Blackpool Chairman Resigns
      Reply #1: Aug 19, 2010 11:03:25 am
      If my memory serves me correct, and it does.

The Oyston's not new to being in the news nor staying at Her Majesties Pleasure.

http://archive.thisislancashire.co.uk/1997/8/21/820676.html

But unlucky Blackpool.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,262 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Blackpool Chairman Resigns
      Reply #2: Aug 22, 2010 05:03:31 pm
      I thought Owen Oyston was karls father, i think Owen is dead

Quick Reply