Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Joe Cole ban stands as Liverpool decline to appeal red card

Read 4283 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Aug 17, 2010 12:39:04 am

Published Date: 17 August 2010
      By COLIN STEWART

Joe Cole's red card on his home debut for Liverpool will stand after the club did not appeal before yesterday's 1pm deadline.

The Football Association confirmed the club had not contested Cole's controversial dismissal against Arsenal, meaning the 28-year-old will serve a three-match ban.

Cole was shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Laurent Koscielny in first-half injury-time of the 1-1 Barclays Premier League draw at Anfield.

New Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson felt the verdict was harsh and the club were considering whether to appeal. He said after Sunday's game: "We now have the benefit of replays on the TV and those replays suggest to me he was a little bit unlucky."

However, the club have decided not to appeal and will therefore be without Cole for their Premier League matches against Manchester City, West Brom and Birmingham. But the England midfielder will be available for Thursday's Europa League play-off round first leg with Trabzonspor and the second leg the following week.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, said renewed confidence at Anfield will not be damaged by Arsenal's fortuitous last-gasp equaliser on Sunday.

The home side were on course to open their domestic campaign with a win when goalkeeper Jose Reina allowed the ball to squirm from his grasp and into the net in injury time of a pulsating clash yesterday. It was a deflating blow, but after a positive summer following the appointment of Hodgson, Gerrard says it will take a lot more to damage revitalised spirits.

"My family are Liverpool fans, we are surrounded by them day in and day out," said Gerrard, who is determined to improve on last season's dismal seventh-place finish.

"Of course I can feel the optimism. We have got a good manager and we have kept hold of some top players.

"If we can keep everyone fit I am confident we can have a completely different season to last year.

"There is a real buzz about the place and if we had got three points it would have been a magnificent start."

Gerrard, 30, who scored twice for England in the friendly win over Hungary last week, added: "We were very unlucky not to see it out and take maximum points.

"I'm very proud of all the lads, I thought they put a tremendous shift in. When you are playing Arsenal in the opening game it is tough enough 11 v 11 against a side like that.

"To lose a man with a half to go and still get something out of the game, I'm really pleased. I thought they were disciplined and looked very fit.

"It was a shame we lost Joe.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Joe-Cole-ban-stands-as.6478155.jp?

I wonder why the club did not appeal.
      bigmack123
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 170 posts |
      Re: Joe Cole ban stands as Liverpool decline to appeal red card
      Reply #1: Aug 17, 2010 12:47:34 am
      Because to be fair, they didn't have a case. Unlucky as it was, it was a red card, and retrospectively it was a correct decision by the referee.
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 17, 2010 12:53:58 am
      naaa
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #3: Aug 17, 2010 02:11:15 am
      Because to be fair, they didn't have a case. Unlucky as it was, it was a red card, and retrospectively it was a correct decision by the referee.

Yellow at best
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Aug 17, 2010 02:29:46 am
      It was never a red card, IMO. Yellow at worst. He caught Koscielny but both his feet didn't get in contact with him, it was his crotch?

The club probably just decided to accept the result and get on with it instead of making a deal out of it, I guess.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,910 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5: Aug 17, 2010 02:35:10 am
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Aug 17, 2010 02:47:22 am

What about the decisions for the Arse players then eh?

Never a F***ing red. Lad does not deserve to miss 3 games for that.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7: Aug 17, 2010 02:47:57 am
      Wilshere was yellow carded for a similar affence which shows a big example of the referee's inconsistencies throughout the game. The big reason for Roy not to appeal would be the trip to Old Trafford that Cole would in actual fact miss if the appeal was rejected resulting in a 4 match ban. Appealing wasn't worth it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Aug 17, 2010 02:48:56 am

Will have to disagree with you there mate
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #9: Aug 17, 2010 03:08:40 am
      It was a poor tackle by a player who has been around long enough to know better and on another day might have only got a yellow . Whether he deserved the red and subsequent 3 match ban is debatable .
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #10: Aug 17, 2010 03:13:19 am
      It was a poor tackle by a player who has been around long enough to know better and on another day might have only got a yellow . Whether he deserved the red and subsequent 3 match ban is debatable .

Mate it is plain and clear for all to see the tackle made by Wilshere on Mascherano was worse as it was a two footed lunge as was Rosicky's on Gerrard. Cole's tackle was stupid but not a red card he went to block the ball from being pumped upfield and the rest of his torso followed through on Konsiesky's standing leg which was unfortunate and not deliberate.

Hence not a red and definetly not a 3 match ban.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: Aug 17, 2010 03:17:07 am

I think we all know it wasn't the greatest of tackles, but it was never a red. Yellow i would have said fair enough, but red and then a 3 match ban on top is simply ludicrous. As Dado said, there was worse on the day that went unpunished. Just another Liverpool match, with just another F***ing horrible refereeing decision. I'm F***ing sick of it.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      Reply #12: Aug 17, 2010 03:24:49 am
      Admittedly i've only watched an extended highlights package so far (will watch the full replay tonight)and i'm yet to see Arsenals bad tackles on your lads , but all i"m sayin is Coles tackle looked very bad and i can understand the ref reachin for the red card instead of the yellow one . Whether the ref was right in hindsight considering the Arsenal players went unpunished is irrelevant at this time , because the ref calls it as he sees it .
      Maybe i'm a little biased , maybe you lot are too and it is clouding our judgement ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Aug 17, 2010 03:30:42 am
      Admittedly I've only watched an extended highlights package so far (will watch the full replay tonight)and I'm yet to see Arsenals bad tackles on your lads , but all I"m sayin is Coles tackle looked very bad and I can understand the ref reachin for the red card instead of the yellow one . Whether the ref was right in hindsight considering the Arsenal players went unpunished is irrelevant at this time , because the ref calls it as he sees it .
      Maybe I'm a little biased , maybe you lot are too and it is clouding our judgement ;)

Biased gooner b***ard ;)

No, i try to not be biased at all when it comes to tackles. I often sit there watching the likes of Masch fly in thinking "F***ing hell mate, lucky to get away with that" - when it comes to tackles i try to take a level-headed view to it. And for me, i have seen the likes of Cole's tackle let go many, many times. So for him to receive a straight red, and then be gone for 3 matches, is unacceptable for me.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      Reply #14: Aug 17, 2010 03:34:19 am
      Missing 3 games is a massive punishment  , look if it was Cole doin that to fucken Adebayor i probably would've cheered and said "well in lad" ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Aug 17, 2010 03:39:50 am
      Missing 3 games is a massive punishment  , look if it was Cole doin that to fucken Adebayor I probably would've cheered and said "well in lad" ;)

:lmao: Well lets just hope Masch is here when City comes round and he'll do the job for ya ;)
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #16: Aug 17, 2010 07:49:54 am
      3 match ban? whats football coming to?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #17: Aug 17, 2010 07:55:58 am
      The big reason for Roy not to appeal would be the trip to Old Trafford that Cole would in actual fact miss if the appeal was rejected resulting in a 4 match ban. Appealing wasn't worth it.

This.

Regardless of how severe the tackle was/wasn't, this has got to be the reason.

The trip to City, we could do with him. But West Brom and Birmingham? I think we'll cope. ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Aug 17, 2010 07:59:09 am
      Admittedly I've only watched an extended highlights package so far (will watch the full replay tonight)and I'm yet to see Arsenals bad tackles on your lads , but all I"m sayin is Coles tackle looked very bad and I can understand the ref reachin for the red card instead of the yellow one . Whether the ref was right in hindsight considering the Arsenal players went unpunished is irrelevant at this time , because the ref calls it as he sees it .
      Maybe I'm a little biased , maybe you lot are too and it is clouding our judgement ;)

I can also understand why Cole was sent off for hurting one of the Arsenal babies after those Eduardo and Ramsey incidents and all that Wenger crying sh*t.

It was a bad tackle, I can never disagree with that, and I would have accepted the red card if the referee also sent off Wilshere and maybe even Rosicky.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #19: Aug 17, 2010 10:37:36 am
      Seeing the tackle in REAL time obviously makes it look much worse.In the refs defence he does'nt have a slow mo to look at.That said,I honestly believe SOME refs deliberately set out to make a name for themselves as in THIS case.Yellow card would have sufficed imo.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #20: Aug 17, 2010 10:41:59 am
      I can also understand why Cole was sent off for hurting one of the Arsenal babies after those Eduardo and Ramsey incidents and all that Wenger crying sh*t.

It was a bad tackle, I can never disagree with that, and I would have accepted the red card if the referee also sent off Wilshere and maybe even Rosicky.

The angle the ref had for Joe Cole's tackle made it look far worse, but in my opinion, Rosicky's tackle was the worst one of the game, but a few players were lucky to still be on the pitch, Gerrard for example, on another day, could/would/should have picked up two yellows during that game.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #21: Aug 17, 2010 10:49:48 am
      no way. worse things went unpunished
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #22: Aug 17, 2010 10:50:03 am
      As mcarz and CRK have said I think it's cos Roy didn't wanna risk not having Joe for Utd.

I don't think it was a red especially considering some of the other tackles in the game, i.e Wilshere, but i think for someone more neutral it would be really 50/50 because everyone knows he had no intention of hurting him but it was a little reckless.

Quick Reply