Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Sky defends banner 'mutilation.'

Read 12215 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Sky defends banner 'mutilation.'
      Aug 18, 2010 01:57:57 am
      Sky defends banner

Sky Sports has been forced to explain its actions in superimposing an image of Roy Hodgson, right, on an iconic banner featuring the silhouettes of Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Kenny Dalglish and Rafael Benítez.

There were complaints from fans who considered the addition of the former Fulham manager to that company to have been disrespectful to the terrace artist behind the "Success has many fathers" banner and to its subjects.

But Sky emailed complainants in an effort to make clear that the feature that included the image was intended as a tribute to the club's great history.

Sky told Digger: "We believe the piece was supportive of the club, its past managers, its traditions, and its future. And we hope that when viewed in context this, and the creative use of the banner, is clear."

Producers are likely to go easy on the symbolism next time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/18/liverpool-russell-king?

An easy pass for Roy Hodgson then?

The banner was titled "success has many fathers" for a reason.

Unacceptable and disrespectful.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010 05:58:51 am by CRK, Reason: Tidied up the title »
      bigmack123
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 170 posts |
      Re: Sky defends banner (mutilation(?))
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2010 02:01:26 am
      Sorry Mate I have completely missed this story. Could you fill me in a bit? What banner is this? What's disrespectful?
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2010 02:13:02 am
      Simple. There is a Liverpool FC banner titled "Success has Many Fathers" containing the life size images of Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish Fagan and Benitez; Sky Sport in doing a piece superimposed the image of Roy Hodgson on that banner.

Banner:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/uploads/success_fathers.jpg

The story is everywhere.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010 09:09:52 am by solodee »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2010 02:37:32 am
      Very disrespectful indeed.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2010 04:10:13 am
      What they are trying to do could be seen as 'nice' but that is not the way we want to be seen, those men earned their places in history and we want to see Roy earn it not be superimposed up there so I could understand a backlash.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Sky defends banner 'mutilation.'
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2010 08:51:52 am
      I have said it before and will say it again.

SKY are a bunch of cu*ts.

Richard Keys, Andy Gray, Redknapp, Tyler can go F**k themselves.....I F***ing hate the lot of them with their biased anti LFC views on F***ing everything from the players, manager, pictures on the wall, the ad breaks every F***ing time YNWA is played, the tea lady (if we still have one of those..!), the car park, the chairs......

OK Im going a bit anal here but I look forward to the day when we can ram their comments down their F***ing throats lifting the title and see what say then.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2010 09:03:47 am
      Anyone got a pic of the altered one?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2010 09:08:46 am
      The banner shows Managers successful at Liverpool, not successful managers which roy was (with Fulham ) you could draw a comparison with Brian clough, successful with Derby and then moved to Leeds.
      Roy's record with us so far is as good as Brians at Leeds Nothing yet ! and yet He's been lauded as some sort of a Messiah (in Sky's eyes !) FAR TOO EARLY !
      Agree with S.M. on this SKY causing unnecessary conflict to boost there ratings !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2010 09:46:39 am
      I will not subscribe to Sky because it is owned by none other than Rupert F***ing Murdoch who is a lifelong Liverpool hater and any reference to the city is debased and mutilated as was the symbol in question.
      He is a sick,warped individual who unfortunately has become  a very rich man with more than a little help from his mind set.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010 04:19:51 pm by stuey »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2010 10:09:26 am
      Cheeky F***ing cu*ts, doesn't surprise me, it's come across lately that Sky and the club for that matter have been trying to airbrush Rafa's achievements out.

And it's pissing me off, they couldn't shut up about F***ing Jose down at the bridge, kiss-arsing a jumped up ego-maniac gobs***e, while at the same time, completely trying to destroy a man with lots of integrity, who just wanted to try and do a good job for US the fans and for the city.

Well they can F**k-off, he might be gone, but he won't be forgotten.

One of only three Liverpool managers to win the European Cup, that puts Rafael Benitez among the greats of OUR club.

So F**k-off Sky, Richard Keys, Andy Gray, the little traitor Jamie Redknapp and anyone else who has slagged our club off.

YNWA.

MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2010 10:33:15 am
      Typical of Sky trying to deface our banner and the great history of our club, just one word springs to mind - Jealousy.

The whole lot of them are jealous of the success of Liverpool Football Club.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #11: Aug 18, 2010 10:43:15 am
      Couldnt wait for Rafa to be shown the door could they. . . Now they taint a fans and our previous managers' great work with some bizarre attempt to make Roy the second coming. We wont forget how much contempt you show this club. I hope Roy succeeds and gets his own banner but lets not forget or disrespect what has gone before
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Aug 18, 2010 12:14:16 pm
      I will not subscribe to Sky because it is owned by none other than Rupert f**king Murdoch who is a lifelong Liverpool hater and any reference to the city is debased and mutilated as was the symbol in question.
      He is a sick,warped individual who unfortunately has become very rich man with more than a little help from his mind set.

Woah Stuey

Calm down, calm down, calm down, la.

Thinking about it though..............

Yup.
      Youre about right.
      A f ...ing skunk of f...ing man who is f...ing sh*te biased towards the f...ing scum and is a f...ing mouthpiece for f...ing everything that is f...ing anti Liverpool including the f...ing Syrian slippery f...ing geezer.

Isnt that more subtle mate? ;D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Aug 18, 2010 12:16:48 pm
      Roy will have the earn the right to go onto that flag. The media love Hodgson alway have.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #14: Aug 18, 2010 03:08:05 pm
      You have to earn it not be on there asap.

Get number 19 and europa and carling cup and your on there....
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #15: Aug 18, 2010 03:45:32 pm
      Its a tough choice, because SKY is so F***ing good and shows so much of the best sport, yet it is run by a Liverpool hating c**t.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #16: Aug 18, 2010 04:13:02 pm

Woah Stuey

Calm down, calm down, calm down, la.

Thinking about it though..............

Yup.
      Youre about right.
      A f ...ing skunk of f...ing man who is f...ing sh*te biased towards the f...ing scum and is a f...ing mouthpiece for f...ing everything that is f...ing anti Liverpool including the f...ing Syrian slippery f...ing geezer.

Isnt that more subtle mate? ;D
      A more colourful description Skip I've got to admit nonetheless unerringly accurate, well in buddy.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2010 05:38:24 pm
      It was during the build up to the match on Sunday, they were doing a piece on our History and showed some of the normal flags in the Kop, then they started talking about Roy and then they put his face on the 'success has many fathers flag' and also put him on the end of (edit) this one:

I guess the idea was to show our past and our future.

I don't mind Roy being on the flag, only if he wins titles and trophies like the other managers on these flags who deserve to be on them, Sky can't just manipulate the images on there for the fun of it.
      « Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010 08:24:16 am by LFC Viking »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Aug 18, 2010 07:17:00 pm
      Cheeky f**king cu*ts, doesn't surprise me, it's come across lately that Sky and the club for that matter have been trying to airbrush Rafa's achievements out.

And it's pissing me off, they couldn't shut up about f**king Jose down at the bridge, kiss-arsing a jumped up ego-maniac gobs***e, while at the same time, completely trying to destroy a man with lots of integrity, who just wanted to try and do a good job for US the fans and for the city.

Well they can f**k-off, he might be gone, but he won't be forgotten.

One of only three Liverpool managers to win the European Cup, that puts Rafael Benitez among the greats of OUR club.

So f**k-off Sky, Richard Keys, Andy Gray, the little traitor Jamie Redknapp and anyone else who has slagged our club off.

YNWA.

Here, Here Sir, Thats about spot on there HuytonRed, those kunts will stop at nothing to besmirch our club, Rafa the Gaffa is a true legend despite his shortened tenure and will always be regarded as such, while those at Sky especially that slap headed toffee tw*t Grey, i f***in hate him, he's second in my queue of " I want to kick 'em' in the balls" behind that other arrogant kunt Fergie, Redknapp's a tosser who's only claim to fame is playing for the very club he critisises every week, and IMO, every bit as traitorist as that little w**ker Mickey O.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Aug 18, 2010 10:48:42 pm
      Here, Here Sir, Thats about spot on there HuytonRed, those kunts will stop at nothing to besmirch our club, Rafa the Gaffa is a true legend despite his shortened tenure and will always be regarded as such, while those at Sky especially that slap headed toffee tw*t Grey, I f***in hate him, he's second in my queue of " I want to kick 'em' in the balls" behind that other arrogant kunt Fergie, Redknapp's a tosser who's only claim to fame is playing for the very club he critisises every week, and IMO, every bit as traitorist as that little w**ker Mickey O.
      If memory serves me right some of the commentators where purring about our youth players in the pre-season games and wondering where they had come from.

Simple... Rafa signed them put them through our youth system and loaned the best of them out in the second half of last season so that their game would develop more allowing them to have an impact this season. He also started giving some of them more game time in the second half of last season.

But heres the kicker. Nobody noticed when Rafa did it. Roy does it and has the commentators purring. Sorry Roy but it sickens me to see some commentators change in perspective to the same players moving through the same system
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #20: Aug 19, 2010 12:59:47 am
      In my opinion, this was meant as a sarcastic piss take of Roy Hodgeson. Just goes to show that the Anti Liverpool feeling that is constantly projected by 'Sky TV' is not in any way or form, Imaginary, as they would have us believe. They really are the lowest of the low, to use thier media position as a weapon to  try and ridicule L.F.C. in the public domain where they are aware we have no equal public exposure to defend ourselves and our great club. Cowards of the highest order.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #21: Aug 19, 2010 03:59:17 am
      Sky can hate all they want: our love for the greatest football club LFC will never wane! YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #22: Aug 19, 2010 11:44:57 am
      The kunts. the cheek of them!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #23: Aug 20, 2010 05:01:33 am
      Don't forget that RH is a friend of Sir Afuck Ferguson !
      RedBen
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -2 
      Reply #24: Aug 20, 2010 11:04:37 am
      In my opinion, this was meant as a sarcastic piss take of Roy Hodgeson. Just goes to show that the Anti Liverpool feeling that is constantly projected by 'Sky TV' is not in any way or form, Imaginary, as they would have us believe. They really are the lowest of the low, to use thier media position as a weapon to  try and ridicule L.F.C. in the public domain where they are aware we have no equal public exposure to defend ourselves and our great club. Cowards of the highest order.

Geez oh - talk about over sensitive.
      On the subject - does this mean that we equate Benitez to Shankley,Paisley and Dalglish - not in my lifetime
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #25: Aug 20, 2010 11:08:32 am
      Geez oh - talk about over sensitive.
      On the subject - does this mean that we equate Benitez to Shankley,Paisley and Dalglish - not in my lifetime

Well seeing as you can't spell Shankly properly, you really shouldn't have a say in the matter.

I'll repeat myself, he is one of only three Liverpool managers to win the European Cup, so yes you tit it does equate him with with legendary managers that have served there time here.

But then again your the type of retard that would of chased Shankly from Anfield after three or four years without a trophy and don't forget he went six or seven seasons without winning a trophy for Liverpool!!
      RedBen
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -2 
      Reply #26: Aug 20, 2010 11:12:58 am
      Well seeing as you can't spell Shankly properly, you really shouldn't have a say in the matter.

I'll repeat myself, he is one of only three Liverpool managers to win the European Cup, so yes you tit it does equate him with with legendary managers that have served there time here.

But then again your the type of retard that would of chased Shankly from Anfield after three or four years without a trophy and don't forget he went six or seven seasons without winning a trophy for Liverpool!!

Liverpool were a nothing club before Shankly - we were a Champions League club before Rafa (but not when he left) - need more be said?
      BTW - why so aggressive - lets lighten the discourse on this forum a bit
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #27: Aug 20, 2010 11:24:55 am

Liverpool were a nothing club before Shankly - we were a Champions League club before Rafa (but not when he left) - need more be said?

We've been in the champion's league twice since Dalglish both times under Houllier (01/02 and 02/03) we did however win a UEFA Cup under him in the 00/01 season.  Benitez in his 6 years here has qualified us every year bar one for the Champion's League and given us two finals, one of which we won.

edit: Houllier also qualified us for the 04/05 final.  So in his 6 seasons here, it was 50/50 about us being a CL team.  Since Benitez arrived, we've qualified 5 out 6 times (exception being this year), >80% attendance in the Champion's League would label us a Champion's League team IMO, albeit a champion's league team who had a poor season last year and missed out one year.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 11:32:35 am by vitez »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #28: Aug 20, 2010 11:26:36 am

I'll stop being aggressive when people like you stop having a dig at a man who tried to do the best for this club and now want to wipe out the achievements of what he did here by constantly going on about last season only without reviewing his full 5/6 seasons in charge

Liverpool fans like you make me sick, can't you just F**k off and support Chelsea or someother Johnny Come Lately club were your views would be pretty much the norm.

What you are saying is not the Liverpool Way, you are a cancer within our support, Rafa did his best for the Club and City and doesn't need scabs like you sticking the knife in now he has gone. I bet you hate the Sons of Strikers* too.

By the way did you hate Rafa that much when were the number one club in Europe, we battered Chelsea three times in semi-finals, twatted the mancs 4-1 at Old Trafford and embarrassed one of the biggest clubs in the world Real Madrid 5-0 on aggregate?

*refers to what Christian Purlsow labelled SOS.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #29: Aug 20, 2010 11:30:24 am
      Have to say, I think people are being way over-sensitive over this topic. I saw the little video they created, with the super-imposed image of Roy on the banner, I don't think it was an attempt to be-little the club, or disrespect the club. Yeah, maybe it was in bad taste to put a new manager, who has proven nothing yet, on a flag with 5 of our greatest ever managers. But in no way do I think it was meant to be offensive.
      RedBen
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -2 
      Reply #30: Aug 20, 2010 11:34:11 am
      We've been in the champion's league twice since Dalglish both times under Houllier (01/02 and 02/03) we did however win a UEFA Cup under him in the 00/01 season.  Benitez in his 6 years here has qualified us every year bar one for the Champion's League and given us two finals, one of which we won.

That equates him to Shankly/Paisley? He was a good manager, but not great. That's my opinion - why get so hot-and-bothered? I've always stayed away from this forum because there are too many large egos floating around - LFC is supported by millions of people - you are going to get different opinions. I can accept that; so should others.

BTW - one of the previous sanctimonious posters talked about 'The Liverpool Way' - are you telling me Rafa Benitez embodied the Liverpool Way? Bill Shankly would have turned in his grave at some of the directions Rafa lead us down. Also - "I make you sick?" - tone down the rhetoric please and chill out a bit
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #31: Aug 20, 2010 11:34:35 am
      Have to say, I think people are being way over-sensitive over this topic. I saw the little video they created, with the super-imposed image of Roy on the banner, I don't think it was an attempt to be-little the club, or disrespect the club. Yeah, maybe it was in bad taste to put a new manager, who has proven nothing yet, on a flag with 5 of our greatest ever managers. But in no way do I think it was meant to be offensive.

But it's not just that though, it's the constant sh*te we've had to put up with from Sky and then to hear about it- seeing as I was at the game, it the symbolism of them trying to erase what Rafa did at the club. Seeing the sky interviewers Shreeves and his little shitehawk mate Andy Burton constantly trying to belittle the man, some Liverpool fans have seen this as a step too far from Sky.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #32: Aug 20, 2010 11:36:28 am
      BTW - one of the previous sanctimonious posters talked about 'The Liverpool Way' - are you telling me Rafa Benitez embodied the Liverpool Way. Bill Shankly would have turned in his grave at some of the directions Rafa lead us down

Bill Shankly would of been proud of the way Rafa stood up for the fans and the city from the likes of Sky and also would of been proud of the way he battled against the yanks and the moneymen for the good of the club in the same way he fought the same battle for control in the 60's
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #33: Aug 20, 2010 11:42:52 am
      But it's not just that though, it's the constant sh*te we've had to put up with from Sky and then to hear about it- seeing as I was at the game, it the symbolism of them trying to erase what Rafa did at the club. Seeing the sky interviewers Shreeves and his little shitehawk mate Andy Burton constantly trying to belittle the man, some Liverpool fans have seen this as a step too far from Sky.

Yeah I do see where you are coming from mate! :). And I completely agree with you when it comes to Rafa. Fantastic manager, who brought a European trophy back to where it belongs, Anfield. I felt he was a man of the people, and was always sticking up for the fans and the city against the likes of those two Yank tw*ts! He may be gone, but he certainly won't be forgotten!

RedBen
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -2 
      Reply #34: Aug 20, 2010 11:44:10 am
      Bill Shankly would of been proud of the way Rafa stood up for the fans and the city from the likes of Sky and also would of been proud of the way he battled against the yanks and the moneymen for the good of the club in the same way he fought the same battle for control in the 60's

Rafa was foolish in fighting a public battle with the owners. It did him or the team absolutely no good. Also - remember when you used to hear about how everything was handled in house at Anfield? - guess who would have been the biggest advocate of that process...... Shankly would also have been at odds with Rafa's style of play, youth development, and boot room. My opinion - if you disagree, fair is fair - I still respect you as a fellow LFC supporter
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,489 posts | 8675 
      Reply #35: Aug 20, 2010 11:47:38 am
      Rafa was foolish in fighting a public battle with the owners. It did him or the team absolutely no good. Also - remember when you used to hear about how everything was handled in house at Anfield? - guess who would have been the biggest advocate of that process...... Shankly would also have been at odds with Rafa's style of play, youth development, and boot room. My opinion - if you disagree, fair is fair - I still respect you as a fellow LFC supporter

Okay fair enough with that, but what is it with the constant digs at Rafa?

Can't we just move on getting behind Roy, I'm just sick of Liverpool fans sticking the boot into the man.

Christ the media will be doing enough of that without Liverpool fans joining in as well.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #36: Aug 20, 2010 11:53:16 am
      That equates him to Shankly/Paisley? He was a good manager, but not great. That's my opinion - why get so hot-and-bothered? I've always stayed away from this forum because there are too many large egos floating around - LFC is supported by millions of people - you are going to get different opinions. I can accept that; so should others.

BTW - one of the previous sanctimonious posters talked about 'The Liverpool Way' - are you telling me Rafa Benitez embodied the Liverpool Way? Bill Shankly would have turned in his grave at some of the directions Rafa lead us down. Also - "I make you sick?" - tone down the rhetoric please and chill out a bit

See the way you called me hot and bothered.  That's exactly what the media did to Benitez.  How on Earth can you call my post hot and bothered?  I explain something to you calmly and rationally, no expletives and yet you think my tone is hot and bothered?  You're amazing to be able to convey that kind of emotion through text.  Joking aside, Benitez was subjected to this from the media everyday.  We're not a very liked club.  They constantly twisted the truth to suit their agenda, constantly took sly shots at him.  He took it on the chin, did the best he could, kept his dignity about the whole matter and more importantly made us feared opposition again and all this while even from within his own camp they were plotting his downfall because he was ambitious (read ambitious here as "he wanted more money invested in the club") about getting Liverpool back to where they rightly belong.  Sounds very TLW to me.

I accept that you don't feel Benitez is a great at the club, I'm merely giving you the information that you might not have known in the hope that you could see how much he genuinely cared about the club, the fans and the city.  What you choose to do with the information is your opinion, but as always when forming an opinion, it certainly helps to be informed.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 12:06:50 pm by vitez »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #37: Aug 20, 2010 11:55:26 am

Your posts are being met with such vitriol because it is exactly the rhetoric that despatched Rafa who not only had the shithead board (read H&G) but an orchestrated Chinese whispering choir to contend with.
      To say your posts are negative would be an understatement.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #38: Aug 20, 2010 11:58:07 am
      Your posts are being met with such vitriol because it is exactly the rhetoric that despatched Rafa who not only had the shithead board (read H&G) but an orchestrated Chinese whispering choir to contend with.
      To say your posts are negative would be an understatement.

Couldn't Agree more Stu Mate
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #39: Aug 20, 2010 12:03:49 pm

Rafa's public battle with the owners was probably to make the people happy (guess who was also famous for that, yes see I can do it too).  It was nice to know we had a man fighting for the same cause as us.  You can't really complain about his style of play, football's changed a lot of the past decades.  Things that were norm back then aren't and vice versa.  His youth development policy has been very promising.  For the first time since Owen/Gerrard/Carra/Fowler days we're going to see some academy graduates break into the first team and many more look like brilliant prospects.  The fact he went to the trouble of coaxing Jose Segura and Rudolfo Borrell to come here speaks volumes about his ambitions for the youth.  Combine this with the all the British youngsters we've recently acquired, the future certainly looks bright in that regard.  This bootroom you mention, funnily enough disappeared during the 90s.  Guess which man bought it back?

edit: On topic, it's not up to SSN or anyone else for that matter, to decide how we feel or don't feel about people.  We're perfectly capable of doing ourselves. I see it as patronising and belittling us.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 12:12:55 pm by vitez »
      RedBen
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -2 
      Reply #40: Aug 20, 2010 12:19:11 pm
      See the way you called me hot and bothered.  That's exactly what the media did to Benitez.  How on Earth can you call my post hot and bothered? 
      I accept that you don't feel Benitez is a great at the club, I'm merely giving you the information that you might not have known in the hope that you could see how much he genuinely cared about the club, the fans and the city.  What you choose to do with the information is your opinion, but as always when forming an opinion, it certainly helps to be informed.

Fair enough - although I genuinely wasn't referring to you with the 'hot-and-bothered' jibe - you debated calmly and rationally which is what it should be all about.

Anyway TBH I just like a good debate and I know the subject of Rafa is always one to stir the emotions. I actually always supported Rafa; although I disagreed with some of his methods, I liked him as a person (and still do) and could see he did want the best for the club.
      The tipping point for me was when we couldn't beat Reading over 210 minutes in January with a full complement of players available; that was when it became clear to me that he had ran out of steam - but there were certainly more highs than lowsw under Benitez so thanks for the memories Rafa!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #41: Aug 20, 2010 01:03:26 pm
      Fair enough - although I genuinely wasn't referring to you with the 'hot-and-bothered' jibe - you debated calmly and rationally which is what it should be all about.

Anyway TBH I just like a good debate and I know the subject of Rafa is always one to stir the emotions. I actually always supported Rafa; although I disagreed with some of his methods, I liked him as a person (and still do) and could see he did want the best for the club.
      The tipping point for me was when we couldn't beat Reading over 210 minutes in January with a full complement of players available; that was when it became clear to me that he had ran out of steam - but there were certainly more highs than lowsw under Benitez so thanks for the memories Rafa!

Noted and point taken.  I again liked Benitez as a person and a manger but whether he should've stayed on or not is completely irrelevant as we now have Hodgson.  This thread in particular is about SSN and the banner editing, as Benitez was a part of that banner I can see how he could be incorporated into this particular debate but not to the extremity of the thread being centred around him, so you could see my reasoning for wanting to defend the man because from my point of view I see it as someone has come in a thread and raised the question of Benitez when it wasn't particularly relevant.  To me that sounds like a vendetta, from your post it seems that might not entirely be the case.  I simply defended him much the same way I would with other Liverpool icons, stated some facts and then left it at that.  

The circumstances have changed now - we've got Hodgson and as such he should be the one up for scrutiny/public debate.  Please don't take that as a I'm being negative towards him because I'm 100% behind him and will continue to support him.  There will be aspects of him I'll criticise and others I'll praise.  I haven't formed an overall opinion of him as yet, but I'm sure I will over the coming months.  Still doesn't change how I feel about this banner and the editing of it, don't try and edit the fans view just to fit in with your own agenda.  I sincerely hope Hodgson's tenure here is much like the Shankly/Paisley transition.  People forget that Shankly was still called boss even with Paisley in charge but Paisley went on to be our most successful manager ever.  Let's hope they both go down as Liverpool legends, but ultimately that's our decision to make and not SSN's.

edit: I think Fagan should be on there too.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 01:10:38 pm by vitez »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: Aug 20, 2010 02:05:18 pm

We were hardly a Champions League club before he came. We became a Champions league winning club, as well as one of the strongest in Europe for 5 years - one bad season and you forget.

Banner was a shocking move too. Sky can go suck a fat one.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #43: Aug 20, 2010 03:22:40 pm
      Even more delighted I'm losing SSN from freeview now. I mean who the F**k wants to pay to watch Jim White in HD? What utter wankers.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #44: Aug 20, 2010 08:09:05 pm
      No doubt sky would like to mutilate are trophy record and some how alter it in favour of the Scum dowm the road
      simm
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #45: Aug 21, 2010 02:16:31 pm
      I h8 skysports
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #46: Aug 21, 2010 02:18:31 pm
      Sky are c**ts end of. Point proven by trying to make a laugh of Reina's howler last week on soccer Saturday

Quick Reply